Re: Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?

Stephen Ferg <steve@ferg.org> wrote:

> I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
> public awareness of Python.
>
> The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not
> anthropomorphic
> enough....so a snake is out.
>
> So are Terry Gilliam's wonderful cartoons for the Flying Circus.
> While wonderful, I just don't think they lend themselves to
> mascot-hood.
>
> In that spirit, I propose the development of a figure representing
> Python -- the Pythoneer.

Given that Python users are traditionally referred to as Pythonistas, how about a
nice bit of social-realist propaganda in the style of the Sandinista poster on the
right at http://www.newint.org/issue263/endpiece.htm

In fact, without the bigote (moustache), Daniel Ortega might look a bit like
Guido...or v-v.

But you wanted a mascot. It has to be cute and cuddly, none of this neo-fascist
Rocketeer stuff. Perhaps a fond caricature of the BDFL? Nuh, it really has to be
an animal, and a Python is only choice. But a really cute, huggable Python.

Tim C

0
tchur (177)

Tim Churches wrote:
> Stephen Ferg <steve@ferg.org> wrote:
>>I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
>>public awareness of Python.
> .... It has to be cute and cuddly, ... it really has to be an animal,
> and a Python is only choice. But a really cute, huggable Python.

Well, I cannot help but think that warm, cuddly, and huggable leads us
directly to a python's victims -- mice and such.  That word huggable....

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels@Acm.Org

0
scott.daniels (1683)