RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #3

"""
What gives you the right to say this?  *I'm offended.*

Speaking of moral and ethics, there seem to be other things to care
about, especially these days.

Thomas
"""

Ok, so perhaps "moral" and "ethical" is slightly strong. Sheesh. Levity.

Point being, if the developers of Python (and Perl and .... so on) spent =
so much time and energy creating something cross platform, it should be =
used thusly. I'm not saying it's "evil" not to do so, I'm saying that if =
you NEED platform-specific tools (which, let's be honest, happens WAY =
more frequently on Windows), then use a platform-specific tool.=20

Forgetting extensions and addons for a moment (TCL/wxPython/Swing, etc), =
there's probably no better RAD/GUI tool than VB (your opinions vary, I'm =
sure). Nor is there a better "server side" scripting tool than Perl (I =
like Python better, but that's just me). Java does a wonderful job of =
bridging the "scriptable" and "gui-able" worlds.

Of those three tools, two are cross platform, right out of the box.

Any mechanic or tradesman will tell you, 1/2 the job is knowing which =
"right tool for the job" is right.

*shrugs*

Now that we're all done being offended because I used terms that were =
taken out of context....

    Chris> Point being, if the developers of Python (and Perl and
    Chris> .... so on) spent so much time and energy creating
    Chris> something cross platform, it should be used thusly. I'm not

Languages (and to a lesser extent, libraries) have a long tradition of
being cross platform. Applications don't.

    Chris> saying it's "evil" not to do so, I'm saying that if you
    Chris> NEED platform-specific tools (which, let's be honest,
    Chris> happens WAY more frequently on Windows), then use a
    Chris> platform-specific tool.

I don't see the logic here. Platform specific tool isn't necessarily
superior on the platform. It's just restricted to the platform.

    Chris> RAD/GUI tool than VB (your opinions vary, I'm sure). Nor is
    Chris> there a better "server side" scripting tool than Perl (I
    Chris> like Python better, but that's just me). Java does a

So you think Python is better, but then praise that perl as superior,
because someone else might think so? This is c.l.py, I would guess
most people here think Python is superior for "server side"
scripting.

    Chris> Any mechanic or tradesman will tell you, 1/2 the job is
    Chris> knowing which "right tool for the job" is right.

The analogy of "right tool for the job" is more usable for choosing
the correct libraries or even algorithms than choosing the
language. Choosing the language is about choosing the right
toolbox. The Python toolbox has all the tools. If you need to do
something platform specific, you just add some extra tools to the tidy
compartments of the box, not throw away the whole box and search for
another toolbox, which has much less tools, is messy anw whatnot, with
the sole virtue of being cross platform.

Briefly: "right tool for the job" analogy is severely abused in
contexts in which it doesn't apply.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
0

Re: pymozilla ([Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
[Brad Clements wrote] >I'd like to find out more about pymozilla.. It sounds very interesting pymozilla is is a proprietary application so I can't share the code. It's a modified python.exe with builtin Browser module - Python wrapped Gecko engine. Custom nsIProtocolHandler and zip-file-system Python module is used to get and load files(html,xml,css,images,Python code) from zip and to resolve and process all ".py" links and html forms. It's pretty like CGI, but no server is required. The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without installi...

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times a...

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these releases is fi...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these rele...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.4 rc 1 and Python 3.3.1 rc 1

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.4 rc 1 and Python 3.3.1 rc 1

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #2
> >WINDOWS >... Windows users may also be >interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of >Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an >IDE built using Windows components. > PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's = just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or even C#/.NET = and RELY on platform specific "extensions". If it ain't cross platform, then it's VB. $.02/MHO Hornberger, Chris wrote: >>WINDOWS >>... Windows users may also be >>interested in ...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #4
> -----Original Message----- > From: Erik Max Francis [mailto:max@alcyone.com]=20 > Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 2:39 PM > To: python-list@python.org > Subject: Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 >=20 >=20 > beliavsky@aol.com wrote: >=20 > > Thanks to the Python developers for their continuing work. > >=20 > > I wonder why the Linux installation needs to be more=20 > tedious than the=20 > > Windows counterpart. The problem is of course not specific=20 > to Python.=20 > > There are many Linux distributions, running on ...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.4 and Python 3.3.1

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1
> >I wonder why the Linux installation needs to be more tedious than the >Windows counterpart. The problem is of course not specific to Python. >There are many Linux distributions, running on different kernels, but >maybe binaries that have been tested on the "major" distributions like >Debian, Red Hat / Fedora, SUSE, and Mandrake could be created. Compare >the instructions: > Welcome to an open platform. It all boils down to money and what the = "open source movement" is really about. On the money front, no = organization is going to step up and tr...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.4.3, release candidate 1
Fredrik Lundh wrote: > (and there was never 96 real errors in the code base, of course; > coverity is a remarkable tool, but there's plenty of room for > mistakes when used on a code base this large) Yep - from the discussions on python-dev, a lot of the "error-fixing" was telling Coverity what things it could safely ignore ;) However, there were definitely things found that were real bugs, and subsequently fixed. It also provoked at least one discussion where the code was iffy, it was entirely understandable that it was flagged, and with some reworking it would becom...

[RELEASED] Python 3.1.3 release candidate 1 #2
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm gladsome to announce a release candidate of the third bugfix release for the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.3. This bug fix release fixes numerous issues found in 3.1.2. Please try it with your packages and report any bugs you find. The final of 3.1.3 is scheduled to be released in two weeks. The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and changes that Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed. File system APIs that use unicode strings ...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #5
> -----Original Message----- > From: Erik Max Francis [mailto:max@alcyone.com]=20 > Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 3:12 PM > To: python-list@python.org > Subject: Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 >=20 >=20 > "Laughlin, Joseph V" wrote: >=20 > > I would avoid installing applications that way, if only for=20 > the fact=20 > > that you can't uninstall an application. >=20 > How can you not install an application installed that way? >=20 > rm -f $PREFIX/bin/python* $PREFIX/bin/pydoc $PREFIX/lib/python* Personally, six ...

Web resources about - RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #3 - comp.lang.python

Candidate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For Nominee redirects here. For the financial term, see Nominee account , see Candidate (disambiguation) . In the context of elections for public ...

The Presidential Candidates and White-Collar Crime
What would the top presidential candidates do if elected with white-collar criminal prosecutions?

ABC Names Candidates for Saturday’s GOP Debate
ABC News has announced the candidates who have qualified for Saturday’s Republican presidential debate in New Hampshire–and despite pressuring ...

More Insider Tales: Union Leaders Back the Less Pro-Union Candidate
... Gaius Publius More insider tales. Last November we noted that " Sanders Momentum Stalls in Union Front Offices " as unions that endorse candidates ...

GOP candidates flood New Hampshire ahead of primary - Videos - CBS News
At least seven Republican presidential candidates will crisscross the Granite State, looking to build momentum after the Iowa caucuses won by ...

Wall St. bets big on these candidates
Wall Street money is flowing to presidential candidates Marco Rubio and Hillary Clinton, and away from former favorite Jeb Bush.

GOP Candidate's REAL 'Repeal And Replace' Is With Medicare
Running Joe Biden from 2012 because nothing's changed. It's clear from the Republican candidates statements and websites that replacing Medicare ...

Which Presidential Candidate Will Really Make Us Safer?
Carly Fiorina has helped make you and me safer. And that should be the true test for our next President.

Bart & Fleming: The Big Sundance Deals; Why Are Jon Stewart And Stephen Colbert Not Lacerating White ...
Peter Bart and Mike Fleming Jr. worked together for two decades at Daily Variety . In this weekly column, two old friends get together and grind ...

Would You Have Sex With Failed Presidential Candidate Rand Paul?
Welcome to Would U? , an academic forum in which I share my gross crush of the week and ask if you, too, would bang that person. Read more... ...