RE: RELEASED Python 2.4.3, release candidate 1

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> (and there was never 96 real errors in the code base, of course;
> coverity is a remarkable tool, but there's plenty of room for
> mistakes when used on a code base this large)

Yep - from the discussions on python-dev, a lot of the "error-fixing"
was telling Coverity what things it could safely ignore ;)

However, there were definitely things found that were real bugs, and
subsequently fixed. It also provoked at least one discussion where the
code was iffy, it was entirely understandable that it was flagged, and
with some reworking it would become unambiguous. I'm not sure what the
final result was though ...

Tim Delaney
0
tdelaney (433)

I just Googled and found the Python-Dev thread 'About "Coverity Study
Ranks LAMP Code Quality" '. I was heartened by the type of issues
raised in the discussion - it leaves me content with whats
'under-the-hood' in Python.

You maintainers don't seem to bang your own drum, which is a good
thing, but since I'm not a maintainer, I'd just like to roll out the
drums (http://www.yakudo.com/) and shout

THANKS GUYS - IT'S APPRECIATED!

(boy am I gonna get it for this post :-)

0
paddy3118 (377)
3/24/2006 6:15:06 AM
Paddy wrote:
> I just Googled and found the Python-Dev thread 'About "Coverity Study
> Ranks LAMP Code Quality" '. I was heartened by the type of issues
> raised in the discussion - it leaves me content with whats
> 'under-the-hood' in Python.
>
> You maintainers don't seem to bang your own drum, which is a good
> thing, but since I'm not a maintainer, I'd just like to roll out the
> drums (http://www.yakudo.com/) and shout
>
> THANKS GUYS - IT'S APPRECIATED!
>
> (boy am I gonna get it for this post :-)

i presume you must have been trying to imply that your significant other
would cause problems if they discovered you had been spending time on
comp.lang.python.

You can see by the enormous number of posts following your up and
complaining about your shouted thanks that nobody else is as grateful to
the developers as you are.

[For those who read this out of context: not one single complaint was
raised about Paddy's shouted thanks in the week following his post. This
message should be read with irony sensors fully activated].

The thing about developers is, you tell them how wonderful they are, and
how much you appreciate what they do, pay them large salaries and give
them pleasant offices, then the next thing you know you have Java to
program in and they are telling you that you have to change your style
and do things their way.

Much better to keep them in a dark cellar and throw them the occasional
crust of stale bread. That way they are pathetically grateful to meet
someone who'll even consider using their code.

Keeps the power semantics right - see

   http://www.wussu.com/humour/semantic.htm

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd                 www.holdenweb.com

0
steve73 (4801)