RELEASED Python 2.4.1, release candidate 1

--nextPart9283459.QEzjqcje3T

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.1 (release candidate 1).

Python 2.4.1 is a bug-fix release. See the release notes at the website
(also available as Misc/NEWS in the source distribution) for details of
the bugs squished in this release.

Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.4.1 will
follow in about a week's time.=20

=46or more information on Python 2.4.1, including download links for
various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see:

    http://www.python.org/2.4.1/

Highlights of this new release include:

  - Bug fixes. According to the release notes, several dozen bugs
    have been fixed, including a fix for the SimpleXMLRPCServer=20
    security issue (PSF-2005-001).

Highlights of the previous major Python release (2.4) are available    =20
from the Python 2.4 page, at                                           =20

    http://www.python.org/2.4/highlights.html

Enjoy the new release,
Anthony

Anthony Baxter
anthony@python.org
Python Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

--nextPart9283459.QEzjqcje3T

--nextPart9283459.QEzjqcje3T--

I have a problem with Python2.4 and win32com extensions, from Mark
Hammond's win32all package... I posted a few days back about a crash
when compiling files generated by win32com's 'makepy.py' utility.

Now these generated files, which are fine in Python 2.3.5, give a
syntax error on compile.

I posted a somewhat longer message on the python-dev mailing list but
since I'm not subscribe the message is awaiting moderator approval, and
I wanted to notify you of this problem ASAP.

The specific syntax errors are:

  File
"D:\Python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py\00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046x0x1x3.py",
line 2591
    return ret
              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

  File
"D:\Python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py\00020905-0000-0000-C000-000000000046x0x8x1.py",
line 3025
    "StyleName": (3, 2, (8, 0), (), "StyleName", None),
		"Value": (0, 2, (8, 0), (), "Value", None),
                                                       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Eyeballing the files around these locations, I cannot detect any syntax
errors. And as I mentioned above, the exact same file compiles just
fine under Python2.3.5.
(And crashes the 2.4.0 interpreter)

regards,

--Tim

Does the workaround for the crash do anything for this problem ?

Mark has changed the makepy code to break up long lines, and
a new build of Pywin32 should be out before long.

           Roger

"Tim N. van der Leeuw" <tim.leeuwvander@nl.unisys.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with Python2.4 and win32com extensions, from Mark
> Hammond's win32all package... I posted a few days back about a crash
> when compiling files generated by win32com's 'makepy.py' utility.
>
> Now these generated files, which are fine in Python 2.3.5, give a
> syntax error on compile.
>
> I posted a somewhat longer message on the python-dev mailing list but
> since I'm not subscribe the message is awaiting moderator approval, and
> I wanted to notify you of this problem ASAP.
>
> The specific syntax errors are:
>
>  File
> "D:\Python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py\00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046x0x1x3.py",
> line 2591
>    return ret
>              ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
>  File
> "D:\Python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py\00020905-0000-0000-C000-000000000046x0x8x1.py",
> line 3025
>    "StyleName": (3, 2, (8, 0), (), "StyleName", None),
> "Value": (0, 2, (8, 0), (), "Value", None),
>                                                       ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>

> Eyeballing the files around these locations, I cannot detect any syntax
> errors. And as I mentioned above, the exact same file compiles just
> fine under Python2.3.5.
> (And crashes the 2.4.0 interpreter)
>
> regards,
>
> --Tim

rupole (264)
3/10/2005 11:46:07 PM
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean with 'workaround for the
crash'...
The interpreter no longer crashes when trying to compile this file.
In Python2.4.0 I never saw any syntax error, there was just crash.
Now there is a syntax error, and I when I look at the code I don't spot
it.

regards,

--Tim

In the reply to your post about the crash, there
was a link to the bug report on Sourceforge that
includes a workaround.  Specifically, remove the
mbcs encoding tag from the generated file. (or fromg
genpy.py itself so that it never gets put into a new
file) Does this do anything for the unwarranted
syntax errors ?

> Sorry, but I don't know what you mean with 'workaround for the
> crash'...
> The interpreter no longer crashes when trying to compile this file.
> In Python2.4.0 I never saw any syntax error, there was just crash.
> Now there is a syntax error, and I when I look at the code I don't spot
> it.
>
> regards,
>
> --Tim

rupole (264)
3/12/2005 12:51:45 AM
Hi Roger,

Thanks, I understand it now, I didn't yet receive in the mail any
replies to my post on py-dev when I read your post here! That's why it
didn't make any sense to me.

I didn't yet have a chance to try the workaround given in the
bug-report (remove MBCS encoding line). Hope to find time soon.

thanks,

--Tim