Typing UTF-8 characters in IDLE #2

Ricky,

I found your message now, because I also would encounter the same
problem.

> A few unicode tutorials on the web show that it's possible to type
> unicode characters into the IDLE gui...
>
> However, when i type korean (hangul) characters it complains:
>
> Unsupported Characters in input
>
> I don't have a great understanding of unicode, but when I use a UTF-8
> source file with korean strings in, and run it as a CGI script it
> works fine.
>
> I'm using python 2.3.3 on win XP.
>
> Any tutorials / info anyone could point me to? Thanks...

Now I am using Hangle with Japaese.

What I did is as follow.

My Python is now 2.4.3

1) open the IOBinding.py in $python/idellib
2) see the block just after line35, and insert one line.
----
encoding = "ascii"                                       # line 35
if sys.platform == 'win32':
    # On Windows, we could use "mbcs". However, to give the user
    # a portable encoding name, we need to find the code page
    try:
        encoding = locale.getdefaultlocale()[1]
        codecs.lookup(encoding)
    except LookupError:
        pass
    encoding = 'utf-8' ## <- this line force the encoding to utf-8.
-----
3) save the file and quit Idle and reopen Idle.

I hope my experience will solve your problem.

(It has passed 2 years and more, so you might already solve the problem.
I you know better solution, please inform me.)

kazuo

0
fujimoto (2)

thanks, it is useful.

but ,why this line "encoding = locale.getdefaultlocale()[1]" in
original file"IOBinding.py " ,
don't work?

it should be work

kazuo fujimoto wrote:
> Ricky,
>
> I found your message now, because I also would encounter the same
> problem.
>

> > A few unicode tutorials on the web show that it's possible to type
> > unicode characters into the IDLE gui...
> >
> > However, when i type korean (hangul) characters it complains:
> >
> > Unsupported Characters in input
> >
> > I don't have a great understanding of unicode, but when I use a UTF-8
> > source file with korean strings in, and run it as a CGI script it
> > works fine.
> >
> > I'm using python 2.3.3 on win XP.
> >
> > Any tutorials / info anyone could point me to? Thanks...
>
> Now I am using Hangle with Japaese.
>
> What I did is as follow.
>
> My Python is now 2.4.3
>
> 1) open the IOBinding.py in $python/idellib
> 2) see the block just after line35, and insert one line.
> ----
> encoding = "ascii"                                       # line 35
> if sys.platform == 'win32':
>     # On Windows, we could use "mbcs". However, to give the user
>     # a portable encoding name, we need to find the code page
>     try:
>         encoding = locale.getdefaultlocale()[1]
>         codecs.lookup(encoding)
>     except LookupError:
>         pass
>     encoding = 'utf-8' ## <- this line force the encoding to utf-8.
> -----
> 3) save the file and quit Idle and reopen Idle.
>
> I hope my experience will solve your problem.
>
> (It has passed 2 years and more, so you might already solve the problem.
> I you know better solution, please inform me.)
>
> kazuo

0
mudengke (1)