UnboundLocalError: local variable 'colorIndex' referenced

Can you please tell me what is the meaning this error in general?

 UnboundLocalError: local variable 'colorIndex' referenced before
assignment

In my python script,
I have a variable define and init to 0, like this
colorIndex  = 0

and in one of my functions,  I increment it by 1
def myFunc
   colorIndex += 1

silverburgh.meryl@gmail.com wrote in news:1140987642.195734.187540
@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

> Can you please tell me what is the meaning this error in general?
>
>  UnboundLocalError: local variable 'colorIndex' referenced before
> assignment
>
> In my python script,
> I have a variable define and init to 0, like this
> colorIndex  = 0
>
> and in one of my functions,  I increment it by 1
> def myFunc
>    colorIndex += 1

It's a scoping issue. Within myFunc, if colorIndex receives a value
(that is, if you assign something to it, as you do here), Python
requires a local variable, one known within the scope of function. If
you had only *read* the variable (x = colorIndex, for instance), then
Python will first look for a local variable, and, finding none, will
then look for a global variable, which it would find in this case. The
net effect of all this is a common gotcha for new Python users: the
'colorIndex' that is assigned to  within myFunc is *not* the same as the
one you assigned 0 to earlier; they just happen to share the same name.

You can get around this in various ways. One is to declare the variable
in myFunc, like this:
def myFunc
    	global colorIndex
    	colorIndex += 1

rzed
0
rzantow (83)
2/26/2006 9:14:50 PM
silverburgh.meryl@gmail.com schrieb:
> Can you please tell me what is the meaning this error in general?
>
>  UnboundLocalError: local variable 'colorIndex' referenced before
> assignment
>
> In my python script,
> I have a variable define and init to 0, like this
> colorIndex  = 0
>
> and in one of my functions,  I increment it by 1
> def myFunc
>    colorIndex += 1

It is alwasy a better idea to post whole scripts/working examples (even if working actaully means non-working). And this
is an example why: Using your old code, things worked. But inside a function, colorIndex isn't in the scope. You could
e.g. use a global-statement like this:

colorIndex = 0

def foo():
     global colorIndex
     colorIndex += 1

foo()

But that is not a very bright idea usually, as globals are difficult to debug.

Diez

0
deets (3351)