xlrd Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document

Hello,

I'm trying to open an excel file (.xlsx) using python module xlrd.
And I'm getting this error over here:

"Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document"

Is there anybody here already got this problem? How do you resolve it?
I've a very simple python program to open that, but it just doesn't open, here is my very simple code:

import xlrd

def import_workbook_protected( path ):
    wb = xlrd.open_workbook( path )

if __name__ == "__main__":
    path = "workbook_for_test.xlsx"
    import_workbook_protected( path )

The only thing differente from others excel files, is that this workbook is protected, not with password, but I can't write on it, just open and read (on my computer, not on python)

Thanks!
0
Andi

Andi Vaganerd <andiroots@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to open an excel file (.xlsx) using python module xlrd.
> And I'm getting this error over here:
>
> "Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document"

I interprete this message as follows: the excel content in your
file is wrapped in an atypical way (an OLE2 compound document)
and "xlrd" does not fully support this way.

Looking at the "xlrd" source code (searching for "OLE2") may give
you more hints.

> The only thing differente from others excel files, is that this workbook is protected, not with password, but I can't write on it, just open and read (on my computer, not on python)

Likely, this kind of protection causes excel to choose a special
wrapping, not fully supported by "xlrd".

1
dieter

XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document
Hi.... XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document What does this error means? When I try to open some excel files using XLRD, I encounter this error. Not with every excel, but with some file. Can anybody help me know, what is this error trying say and what I should do to avoid this. Traceback (most recent call last): File "D:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py", line 310, in RunScript exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__ File "D:\Python23\Testing area\Python and Excel\read_map.py", line 71, in ? workbook=xl...

Can't find module named 'svn' in python
Hi, i have a simple test which tries to load 'svn' moddule. # python -c "from svn import client" Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in ? ImportError: No module named svn I have checked I have sub-directories 'libsvn', 'svn' under /usr/local/lib/svn-python/ cd /usr/local/lib/svn-python/ [root@localhost svn-python]# ls libsvn svn But python still can't find it. Please tell me what am I missing. I appreciate your help. My first thought: Check if you have /usr/local/lib/svn-python/ in your PYTHONPATH environme...

Can't Use OnCurrent Event / Can't Find Macro
I have run into a sudden problem and thought I'd see if anyone else has ran into this. Out of nowhere (sort-of) I am not able to access the OnCurrent event on a subform. I, of course, can write code for the event, but [Event Procedure] under OnCurrent does not show up on the properties of the subform, and the event does not fire. When this problem happened, it seems to have also generated an error while changing records in the Main Form. The error is "...can't find the macro ".". At least I think their related...both started at the same time. I have never used a macro...

Palm can't find com port to synch. I can't either.
Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the laptop, and it only showed com 3 Com 1 seemed missing. Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports numbered 1 and 3? Thanks Jim I wish you luck in getting this "ancient" palm device to work with XP's interpretation of Com ports. Yes there is com 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. You may want to search Microsoft's web site for inform...

OSX: Can't install RMagick. Can't find the ImageMagick lib
Hi all I'm trying to install RMagick because one of my used plugins for RoR needs it. But I have no idea how to do this. So I just tried sudo gem install rmagick But I'm getting the following error: Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing rmagick: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install rmagick checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.2... yes checking for gcc... yes checking for Magick-config... yes checking for ImageMagick version >= 6.3.0... yes c...

can't run a built application because it can't find Run-Time engine
Let's start at the begining.... everything was working fine, and then I started getting an&nbsp;error 2 (memory is full) while compiling any application.&nbsp; I couldn't resolve the issue but the same applications would compile on another machine, so I uninstalled every National Instrument software from Control Panel (add remove programs), and deleted the c:\Program Files\National Instruments directory.&nbsp; I then reinstall the Labview 8.0 Prof Dev system,&nbsp; and performed the labview 8.0.1 upgrade.&nbsp; I can now open and compile applications,&nbsp; but ...

mplayer can't play "link," and I can't find the real one
I'm trying to listen to my football game, but I can't get mplayer to cooperate. I'm trying to play a link from http://knbr.com/listenNow.html without much luck (I want the link from the right for the 1050 station). The button link is javascript:openplayer('http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=KNBR 1050 The Sports Leader&Station=KTCT_AM'); so I try mplayer "http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=KNBR 1050 The Sports Leader&Station=KTCT_AM" and after some whirring...

Can't find 'boot_DBD__mysql'
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4 I have apache 2.2 and am running the most current version of mySQL. I cannot get DBD::mysql to install. I have downloaded the perl module form CPAN and tried both automated and manual installations. During the make test step the module fails and gives me the following error. Can't find 'boot_DBD__mysql' symbol in /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Mysql.pm line 13 As far as I can tell the path is correct and I have not tried to install it anywh...

Getting Error can't find '__main__' module in 'X'
Hey I am newbie in python.I have installed python 2.7.5 correctly.It is working fine but I am having some issues.I have set windows Enviroment variables. The problem is when I try to save my program in a folder(C:\Users\John\X)it shows that module error but when I save it outside this X folder ( C:\Users\John ) It runs successfully.How to fix it? On 06/02/2013 07:04 AM, meakaakka wrote: > Hey I am newbie in python.I have installed python 2.7.5 correctly.It is working fine but I am having some issues.I have set windows Enviroment variables. Please be a lot more specific. Do you have ...

Why Can't I Find Things in my Document?
I have acrobat 5. I printed big documents (accounting ledgers) from my accounting program using distiller. I go to the binoculars to find an amount I know is there, and it finds nothing. How do I make my documents searchable? What went wrong? This is sad; I've already closed out that year. :( Thanks, Carla bratdawg1 at yahoo dot com "Carla F." <FETCHIT@GILANET.COM> wrote in message news:40291102@news.zianet.com... > I have acrobat 5. I printed big documents (accounting ledgers) from my > accounting program using distiller. I go to the binoculars to find an...

Can't find documentation on LPaneControl
Hello everybody, I am learning MAC programming using codewarrior 9, to develop an application that should run on OS9 and OSX. Since my experience is windows based, it is not so easy :( I need a few LTabControls in my app, but it seems the included documentation has no reference to any LPaneControls. I looked everywere, but nothing. The metrowerks site gave the same result. By the way, coming from scratch and all alone the whole thing is a bit confusing... And the documentation on the CD seems not to be up to date. After reading most included e-books there are a lot of things that ...

Can't find 'Prototype' syntax in JavaScript Bible'
'JavaScript Bible' v6 by Danny Goodman doesn't seem to describe the snytax used in Prototype.js. Namely, I could not find discussion of 'Object.extend' and the ':' feature (e.g., 'toColorPart:'), as in: Object.extend(Number.prototype, { toColorPart: function() { var digits = this.toString(16); if (this < 16) return '0' + digits; return digits; }, Similarly (or perhaps, not so similar), what this is about: var Try = { these: function() { .... } } Can someone please tell me where to find this in the book, or if it's n...

third program can't find why it won't work.
I am learning javascript from a book. I admit it is not the easiest or best way, but I wanted to learn and I had the books purchased from awhile back. I have some familiarity with C and HTML and wanted to expand my programming base. I have tried two of the programs in this book and they worked fine. Now on the third one I can't seem to get it to work. I know it is probably something simple but could you give it a look and steer me in the right direction? Here is the code the Script and HTML commands are commented out. I thought is was suppose to return a total value. <!--ml> <he...

I can't find eth0 (or don't know how to look)
Here's the deal: I've got RH 7.3 running just fine until an hour ago. I crashed a Matlab session and decided it was a good time to reboot my machine. The shutdown process hung at some point leaving the note "No more processes at this level", and after about 5 minutes I hit the reset button. When the machine came back up, it complained about the ethernet interface, saying this: "Bringing up interface eth0: Error, some other host already uses address [my IP address]" Plus, I get a big fat red "FAILED" on the screen, just to make me feel better. How do I...

Web resources about - xlrd Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document - comp.lang.python