"execs" or "scripts"

I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come from
an old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs". I have
to admit that "scripts" kinda grates on my ears (eyes?) a bit.

Is "script" the generally accepted terminology?
0
JenMurphy1 (60)
8/21/2012 4:31:29 PM
comp.lang.rexx 2135 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> wrote:

> I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come from an
> old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs". I have to
> admit that "scripts" kinda grates on my ears (eyes?) a bit.
>
> Is "script" the generally accepted terminology?

Not for me; I'm an "exec" person too - but then, also from a mainframe
bachground.

to newsreplyaaa@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284".
On 8/21/2012 12:35 PM, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
> Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come from an
>> old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs". I have to
>> admit that "scripts" kinda grates on my ears (eyes?) a bit.
>>
>> Is "script" the generally accepted terminology?
>
> Not for me; I'm an "exec" person too - but then, also from a mainframe
> bachground.

I agree with both of you. My background was VM/CMS also. Trouble is that
'execs' comes from the CMS filetype EXEC, but Windows has a .exe which
is entirely different, being what we would think of as a MODULE, so
their can be some confusion.

I don't much like the use of 'script' when referring to Rexx code. To me
it implies a simplicity that isn't appropriate to Rexx ("The HelpDesk
person was following a script."). I simply call my code a 'program' and
leave it at that.

--

Les               (Change Arabic to Roman to email me)

0
5mre20 (168)
8/21/2012 4:57:45 PM
Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> writes:
> I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come from
> an old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs". I have
> to admit that "scripts" kinda grates on my ears (eyes?) a bit.
>
> Is "script" the generally accepted terminology?

EXEC was command, EXEC was the filetype for command files in CMS. was
RUNCOM on ctss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatible_Time-Sharing_System

open systems and terminal emulators have had command scripts and
terminal scripts.

some of the ctss people went to the science center on the 4th flr and
did virtual machines, cp67/cms (which later morphs into vm370/cms) and
bunch of other stuff ... other ctss people went to project mac on the
5th floor for multics.

mid-60s, the ctss "runoff" document formater was ported to CMS at the
science center and called script. then GML is invented at the science
center in 1969, support for GML tag processing was added to the script
command. the use of "script" for document formating then created
conflict later when script came into use for command & terminal
scripting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCRIPT_%28markup%29

as in above references ... CTSS inspired much in cp67/cms (and later
vm370/cms) as well as inspired much in MULTICS ... which then inspired
unix.

this has person that wrote EXEC for cp/cms (in 1966) ... is also the
person that did cp/cms "script" (RUNOFF) document formater.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language

between EXEC for CMS (from 1966) and REX for CMS (later changed to REXX
for product release) in 1979 ... there was also EXEC2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REXX

other trivia, a decade after GML was invented at the science center,
it morphs into international standard SGML. After another decade, it
morphs into HTML (at cern);
http://infomesh.net/html/history/early

lynn13 (400)
8/21/2012 5:10:44 PM
LesK <5mre20@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
> I agree with both of you. My background was VM/CMS also. Trouble is
> that 'execs' comes from the CMS filetype EXEC, but Windows has a .exe
> which is entirely different, being what we would think of as a MODULE,
> so their can be some confusion.
>
> I don't much like the use of 'script' when referring to Rexx code. To
> me it implies a simplicity that isn't appropriate to Rexx ("The
> HelpDesk person was following a script."). I simply call my code a
> program' and leave it at that.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#8 "execs" or "scripts"

before windows there was ms-dos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
before ms-dos there was seattle computer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Computer_Products
before seattle computer there was cp/m
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M

and before cp/m, kildall worked on cp/67 (cms) at npg (gone 404, but
lives on at the wayback machine)
http://web.archive.org/web/20071011100440/http://www.khet.net/gmc/docs/museum/en_cpmName.html

discussed some more in this recent (linkedin) "Old Geeks" discussion
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012k.html#84 Did Bill Gates Steal the Heart of DOS?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012k.html#94 Did Bill Gates Steal the Heart of DOS?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#3 Did Bill Gates Steal the Heart of DOS?

lynn13 (400)
8/21/2012 5:17:10 PM
LesK <5mre20@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>I agree with both of you. My background was VM/CMS also. Trouble is that
>'execs' comes from the CMS filetype EXEC...

- and in MVS/TSO the use of //SYSEXEC, the TSO command EXECUTIL, and the TSO
command processor named EXEC that would run a CLIST or a REXX exec.

to newsreplyaaa@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284".
In <s5e738dksg1fis4u4fa10rmkrkcbm2c7jm@4ax.com>, on 08/21/2012
   at 09:35 AM, Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> said:

>I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come
>from an old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs".

That's because of the command names and the file type[1], which are
specific to IBM. The term "script" is generic.

[1] Do people in the VM world refer to, e.g., XEDIT macros as EXECs?
    I don't recall encountering that.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
spamtrap16 (3722)
8/22/2012 1:06:29 PM
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:06:29 AM UTC-5, Seymour J. Shmuel Metz wrote:
> In <s5e738dksg1fis4u4fa10rmkrkcbm2c7jm@4ax.com>, on 08/21/2012
>    at 09:35 AM, Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> said:

>>I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come
>>from an old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs".

> That's because of the command names and the file type[1], which are
> specific to IBM. The term "script" is generic.

> [1] Do people in the VM world refer to, e.g., XEDIT macros as EXECs?
>     I don't recall encountering that.
> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>
> Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
> right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
> domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
> reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

No, they were called "macros"  (or XEDIT macros).  Their filetype was
XEDIT.

(Normal) REXX programs had a filetype of EXEC  --- so they were called EXECs.

Also, the program to run files (programs) with a filetype of "EXEC" was ...
EXEC.  _________________________________________________ Gerard Schildberger
0
Gerard461 (74)
8/22/2012 7:25:21 PM
On 8/22/2012 12:25 PM, Gerard_Schildberger wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:06:29 AM UTC-5, Seymour J. Shmuel Metz wrote:
>> In <s5e738dksg1fis4u4fa10rmkrkcbm2c7jm@4ax.com>, on 08/21/2012
>>     at 09:35 AM, Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> said:
>
>>> I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come
>> >from an old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs".
>
>> That's because of the command names and the file type[1], which are
>> specific to IBM. The term "script" is generic.
>
>> [1] Do people in the VM world refer to, e.g., XEDIT macros as EXECs?
>>      I don't recall encountering that.
>> --
>> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>
>> Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
>> right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
>> domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
>> reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org
>
> No, they were called "macros"  (or XEDIT macros).  Their filetype was
> XEDIT.
>
> (Normal) REXX programs had a filetype of EXEC  --- so they were called EXECs.
>
> Also, the program to run files (programs) with a filetype of "EXEC" was ...
> EXEC.  _________________________________________________ Gerard Schildberger

Let us not forget EXEC2 was sandwiched between EXEC and REXX in the
history of "scripting" on VM.

0
aa4re (38)
8/22/2012 8:26:25 PM
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:26:25 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
> On 8/22/2012 12:25 PM, Gerard_Schildberger wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:06:29 AM UTC-5, Seymour J. Shmuel Metz wrote:

>>> That's because of the command names and the file type[1], which are
>>> specific to IBM. The term "script" is generic.
>>> [1] Do people in the VM world refer to, e.g., XEDIT macros as EXECs?
>>>      I don't recall encountering that.
>>> --
>>> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>
>>> Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
>>> right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
>>> domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
>>> reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

>> No, they were called "macros"  (or XEDIT macros).  Their filetype was
>> XEDIT.

>> (Normal) REXX programs had a filetype of EXEC  --- so they were called EXECs.
>> Also, the program to run files (programs) with a filetype of "EXEC" was ...
>> EXEC.  _________________________________________________ Gerard Schildberger

> Let us not forget EXEC2 was sandwiched between EXEC and REXX in the
> history of "scripting" on VM.

(Sometimes EXEC was refrered to as EXEC-nothing or EXEC-0 (EXEC-zero).
EXEC, EXEC2, and REXX all had the same filetype.  The CMS EXEC processor
examined the first line of the EXEC program and then invoked the appropriate
interpretor depending if the first line was a

  /* ...    statement (REXX),
  &TRACE    statement (EXEC2), or
  other     statement (EXEC0).

MVS/TSO had something similar, REXX and CLISTs were (or could be) lumped
together, and there, the first (REXX) line had to have a

   /*REXX ...   */

comment   (with  REXX  being in any mixed case, as I recall).  It could
have leading blanks (before the REXX) and/or before the    /*    --- but
it had to be on the first line of the file.  The rest of the REXX
comment could be continued on multiple lines.

By the way, SCRIPT was a filetype reserved for the  SCRIPT  CMS command,
and later, there were other SCRIPT processors (SCRIPT/370, SCRIPT/VS,
etc.).   Scripting, back then, had a different meaning, as did "hacking".

SCRIPT was a predecessor of GML (officially, Generalized Markup Language),
which was a predecessor of HTML (HyperText Markup Language).  SCRIPT was a
sucessor to RUNOFF (RUN-OFF). ________________________ Gerard Schildberger

0
Gerard461 (74)
8/22/2012 10:46:45 PM
Gerard_Schildberger <gerard46@rrt.net> wrote:

> SCRIPT was a predecessor of GML ...

No.  Script was the underlying language processor with the ability to parse
free format text and fundamental commands (the dot commands like .br) and it
allowed one to write macros (eg .this) combining multiple dot commands and
using logic to examine attributes of arguments to the macros.

GML was a start-set of macros written in the Script language, using its
builtin parser to associate a supplied set of macros with a supplied set of
tag names.  So eg the script initialisation parms told the parser how in
general it should parse the user's text and in particular for each of the
supplied tag/macro combinations whether to apply simple or more complicated
parsing of tags and attributes.

to newsreplyaaa@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284".
In <y-qdnYwM5OTp3ajNnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d@posted.southvalleyinternet>, on
08/22/2012
   at 01:26 PM, Roy <aa4re@aa4re.ampr.org> said:

>Let us not forget EXEC2 was sandwiched between EXEC and REXX in the
>history of "scripting" on VM.

They were distinguished by content, not by file type.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
spamtrap16 (3722)
8/23/2012 2:02:25 PM
In <mpro.m974gw000nanf012s@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>, on
08/23/2012
   at 07:53 AM, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
<jn.nntp.scrap007@wingsandbeaks.org.uk> said:

>GML was a start-set of macros written in the Script language,

Slightly extended for special handling of : and ::.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
spamtrap16 (3722)
8/23/2012 2:05:37 PM
writes:
> No.  Script was the underlying language processor with the ability to parse
> free format text and fundamental commands (the dot commands like .br) and it
> allowed one to write macros (eg .this) combining multiple dot commands and
> using logic to examine attributes of arguments to the macros.
>
> GML was a start-set of macros written in the Script language, using its
> builtin parser to associate a supplied set of macros with a supplied set of
> tag names.  So eg the script initialisation parms told the parser how in
> general it should parse the user's text and in particular for each of the
> supplied tag/macro combinations whether to apply simple or more complicated
> parsing of tags and attributes.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#8 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#9 "execs" or "scripts"

Madnick doing runoff port from ctss to cms, as script in 1966 (at the
science center) ... predates the invention of GML (at the science
center) in 1969 (Madnick also having done the original CMS *exec*
processor).

support for GML *syntax* was original implemented as script macros
.... in fact, it was possible to intermix "dot" (aka original
script/runoff) controls in same file with GML *tags*.

roots of sgml
http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm

note that "GML" are the first letters of the last names of the
three inventors.

science center only had 30-35 people (offices occupied part of the 4th
floor, 545tech sq, computer machine room on the 2nd floor)

misc. past posts mentioning science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

misc. past posts mentioning gml/sgml
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#sgml

lynn13 (400)
8/23/2012 3:39:21 PM
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <spamtrap@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:

>In <mpro.m974gw000nanf012s@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>, on
>08/23/2012
>   at 07:53 AM, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
><jn.nntp.scrap007@wingsandbeaks.org.uk> said:
>
>>GML was a start-set of macros written in the Script language,
>
>Slightly extended for special handling of : and ::.

As far as I know the starter set used : and :e, so for example ":dl." and
":edl." delimited a definition list.  (At least, according to the starter
set implementation guide I just dug out of a cupboard...

Parsing of : and :: wasn't hard-coded; you could use whatever characters you
wanted, specifying them with eg

 .dc gml ! ! e                  (an example from the manual)

which would then allow    "!dl."   and "!edl.".

This was useful if one was writing a manual on how to use gml tags.

in 54459 20120823 163921 Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn@garlic.com> wrote:
>Jeremy Nicoll - news posts <jn.nntp.scrap007@wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
>writes:
>> No.  Script was the underlying language processor with the ability to parse
>> free format text and fundamental commands (the dot commands like .br) and it
>> allowed one to write macros (eg .this) combining multiple dot commands and
>> using logic to examine attributes of arguments to the macros.
>>
>> GML was a start-set of macros written in the Script language, using its
>> builtin parser to associate a supplied set of macros with a supplied set of
>> tag names.  So eg the script initialisation parms told the parser how in
>> general it should parse the user's text and in particular for each of the
>> supplied tag/macro combinations whether to apply simple or more complicated
>> parsing of tags and attributes.
>
>re:
>http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#8 "execs" or "scripts"
>http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#9 "execs" or "scripts"
>
>Madnick doing runoff port from ctss to cms, as script in 1966 (at the
>science center) ... predates the invention of GML (at the science
>center) in 1969 (Madnick also having done the original CMS *exec*
>processor).
>
>support for GML *syntax* was original implemented as script macros
>.... in fact, it was possible to intermix "dot" (aka original
>script/runoff) controls in same file with GML *tags*.
>
>roots of sgml
>http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm
>
>note that "GML" are the first letters of the last names of the
>three inventors.
>
>science center only had 30-35 people (offices occupied part of the 4th
>floor, 545tech sq, computer machine room on the 2nd floor)
>
>misc. past posts mentioning science center
>http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech
>
>misc. past posts mentioning gml/sgml
>http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#sgml

Where did ISIL fit into this?
0
bob.martin (140)
8/24/2012 6:32:55 AM
Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
> GML was a start-set of macros written in the Script language, using its
> builtin parser to associate a supplied set of macros with a supplied set of
> tag names.

I remember "EasySCRIPT" as being the first foray into tag markup languages,
possibly implemented as a "proof of concept" before embarking on the full
implementation of GML proper.

EasySCRIPT supported around a half-dozen of the most useful markup tags, but
using SCRIPT symbols.  Example:

&h1.Example of "EasySCRIPT"
&p.This starts a paragraph preceding a bulleted list:
&ol.
&li.The first bullet.
&li.And so on.
&eol.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

In <mpro.m985kp00gyjwg02fw@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>, on
08/23/2012
   at 09:14 PM, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
<jn.nntp.scrap007@wingsandbeaks.org.uk> said:

>As far as I know the starter set used : and :e, so for example ":dl."
>and ":edl." delimited a definition list.  (At least, according to the
>starter set implementation guide I just dug out of a cupboard...

They say that the memory is the second thing to go.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
spamtrap16 (3722)
8/24/2012 2:34:29 PM
Bob Martin <bob.martin@excite.com> writes:
> Where did ISIL fit into this?

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#8 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#9 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#15 "execs" or "scripts"

gml wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Generalized_Markup_Language

from above:

In the early 1980s, IBM developed a dedicated publishing tool called
Information Structure Identification Language (ISIL) based on GML. ISIL
was used to generate much of IBM documentation for the IBM PC and other
products at this time. In the late 1980s, a commercial product called
BookMaster was developed, based mostly on ISIL.

During the early 1980s, Don Williams at IBM developed DWScript to use
the SCRIPT/VS on the IBM PC.[2] In 1986, he developed a PC version of
ISIL called DWISIL. These products were only used internally at IBM.

.... snip ...

lynn13 (400)
8/24/2012 2:36:42 PM
re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#8 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#9 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#15 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#20 "execs" or "scripts"

other trivia ... vm/cms "SE" on financial services accounts in LA branch
office, did re-implementation of script for trs-80, past reference:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#74 Specifying all biz rules in relational data
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011n.html#58 "Geek" t-shirts

lynn13 (400)
8/24/2012 3:09:18 PM
On 8/24/2012 11:09 AM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

> re:
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#8 "execs" or "scripts"
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#9 "execs" or "scripts"
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#15 "execs" or "scripts"
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#20 "execs" or "scripts"
>
> other trivia ... vm/cms "SE" on financial services accounts in LA branch
> office, did re-implementation of script for trs-80, past reference:
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#74 Specifying all biz rules in relational data
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011n.html#58 "Geek" t-shirts

Back then I had a commercial version of SCRIPT for the TRS-80 and it was
great! My (then) wife used it for her home typing business. My vague
memory says Alan Tannenbaum was the author.

--

Les               (Change Arabic to Roman to email me)

0
5mre20 (168)
8/24/2012 4:55:07 PM
LesK <5mre20@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
> Back then I had a commercial version of SCRIPT for the TRS-80 and it
> was great! My (then) wife used it for her home typing business. My
> vague memory says Alan Tannenbaum was the author.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#8 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#9 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#15 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#21 "execs" or "scripts"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#22 "execs" or "scripts"

past post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#74
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011n.html#58

chuck tesler (and son glen) ... see these mentioned references
http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v9n6/70_GEAP_tricks.php
http://www.wsfa.org/journal/j82/b/

also see Allwrite! and NewScript entries here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20061130230530/http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-sw.htm

*script* 370 topic drift from a.f.c. post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#23

by at least 1970 ... the architecture group moved the principles of
operation to cms script file ... it was actually the architecture "red
book" for the red 3-ring binder it was distributed it. the architecture
entries were bracketed and intermixed with the corresponding principles
of operation information. the architecture entries gave things like
justification, alternatives, engineering implementation notes,
unannounced items, etc. cms script command line option controlled
whether the full architecture redbook was formated or just the
principles of operation subset. at the start, the full redbook was about
twice the size of the POO/POP subset.

in the 370 case, it was giving all the different plant sites a common
objective to work to ... 115/125 in boeblingen, 135/145 in endicott, 155
in kingston, 165 in POK, etc

lynn13 (400)
8/24/2012 7:48:21 PM
LesK <5mre20@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>Back then I had a commercial version of SCRIPT ...

I have a feeling that a version of SCRIPT is still available in the Watcom
products, previously known as Waterloo Script.  I keep meaning to look into
it.  I much preferred the Script approach, to word processing or DTP.

Am 25.08.2012 02:29, schrieb Jeremy Nicoll - news posts:
> LesK <5mre20@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Back then I had a commercial version of SCRIPT ...
>
> I have a feeling that a version of SCRIPT is still available in the Watcom
> products, previously known as Waterloo Script.  I keep meaning to look into
> it.  I much preferred the Script approach, to word processing or DTP.

Yes, there is a WGML.exe for DOS and OS/2 on openwatcom.org. It is used
for the build process and documentation. The source was not supplied
during the open source transition of Watcom and is lost.

Frank

On 8/25/2012 3:46 AM, Frank Beythien wrote:
> Am 25.08.2012 02:29, schrieb Jeremy Nicoll - news posts:
>> LesK <5mre20@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Back then I had a commercial version of SCRIPT ...
>>
>> I have a feeling that a version of SCRIPT is still available in the Watcom
>> products, previously known as Waterloo Script.  I keep meaning to look into
>> it.  I much preferred the Script approach, to word processing or DTP.
>
> Yes, there is a WGML.exe for DOS and OS/2 on openwatcom.org. It is used
> for the build process and documentation. The source was not supplied
> during the open source transition of Watcom and is lost.
>
> Frank

So it wouldn't work on 64 bit Windows 7?

--

Les               (Change Arabic to Roman to email me)

0
5mre20 (168)
8/25/2012 4:55:58 PM
Am 25.08.2012 18:56, schrieb LesK:
> On 8/25/2012 3:46 AM, Frank Beythien wrote:

>>> I have a feeling that a version of SCRIPT is still available in the
>>> Watcom
>>> products, previously known as Waterloo Script.  I keep meaning to
>>> look into
>>> it.  I much preferred the Script approach, to word processing or DTP.
>>
>> Yes, there is a WGML.exe for DOS and OS/2 on openwatcom.org. It is used
>> for the build process and documentation. The source was not supplied
>> during the open source transition of Watcom and is lost.
>>
>> Frank
>>
> So it wouldn't work on 64 bit Windows 7?

No idea, as I don't use 64 bit Windows 7.

Frank
On 8/21/2012 12:35 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
> I notice that most people call the Rexx routines "scripts". I come from
> an old VM/CMS and MVS/TSO world where they were called "execs".

Ever since the compiler came along and made it possible for them to be
modules, and IBM switched from calling it a "procedural language" to a
"programming language," I've leaned toward the more general word "program."

�R
0
NotR (103)

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

Gary Sokolich """"""

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

Is there any """Anti Stringizing operator #"""
Hi everybody:D I've a string that contains the name of a class. Some members told that I can use """Stringizing Operator (#)""", but the problem is here, that I have the string, & I want something vice- versa. As we know with """Stringizing Operator (#)""", we can get the stirng name of a class or ... str <--- #ClassA But I want to instantiate a class that I have just it's name as a string. ClassA * clsA = new ??? <--- Str ??? How can I do it? I don't want to use """HardCoding"&qu...

"plot", "imshow" and "quiver"
Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, the YDir parameter under Axis Properties is set to "reverse" by default. To me this seems counter intuitive. Why wouldn't YDir be "normal" by default? When set at "normal" it turns out that my image is actually flipped upside down. On the contrary, when use "quiver" command to plot a vector field, the YDir is set at "normal" by default. Even though this makes more sense to me, because "reversed" YDir is the correct way to display an image (as in "imshow"), the result of "quiver" is that the vector fields this time depict the objects as if they are upside down... So every time I use "quiver" I always add the following line to revert the objects back to its normal orientation... set(gca, 'YDir', 'reverse')... In addition, "plot" uses "normal" setting for YDir. The only issue I have is that I use these commands fairly frequently in my job and sometimes they can get a little bit confusing in terms of display. So I wonder why MATLAB hasn't standardized them so that the objects always get displayed the same way. It's just a comment I have. Thank you. "Clare " <flyingclare@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hefvdk$3md$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, > the ...

["a", "b", "c", "d"] to "a, b, c, d"?
I want to process each element of an array, but the last element should be handled special. Here is an example: def p_ary(ary) str = "" ary.each do |elem| str << elem << ", " end str.chomp!(", ") str end so p_ary(["a", "f", "x", "test"]) produces "a, f, x, test". The code works, but isn't there an easier and more general way for this behaviour? martinus On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:23:22 -0700, Martin wrote: > I want to process each element of an array, but the last ele...

find: -exec: no terminating ";" or "+"
Hi, I'm using Mac 10.6.3 and trying to write a shell script that will execute a find function. Here is my script ... #!/bin/sh pattern=$1 shift find "$@" -exec grep -i "$pattern" /dev/null {} But upon executing, ../myfind.sh "hello" ~/Tomcat I get this error. What do I need to correct in my shell script? Thanks, - Dave find: -exec: no terminating ";" or "+" laredotornado wrote: > Hi, > > I'm using Mac 10.6.3 and trying to write a shell script that will > execute a find function. Here is my ...

Why "Let*" and not "Let" after "do" in a loop??? Grrr.
Here is a bit of code... (defun example () (let ((listlen (1- (length *text-array*)))) (loop for i from listlen downto 0 for j = (nth i *text-array*) ;position of first alpha character. do (let* .....insert bindings plus body of let* code here etc... So... Why does that last "let*" work while a "let" in the same place does not and throws an error about how the variables in the bindings following the let have no value? The following is the bit of code I was working on that brought up the issue... it is part of code that I am post...

if("0X0"=="000"){echo "boo";}
Hi ;) Everything is in the title. the prob is "boo" is displayed ! Can you believe it ? Thanx for anyone who can help me. fabrice. Fabrice R=E9gnier wrote: > Hi ;) > > Everything is in the title. the prob is "boo" is displayed ! Can you > believe it ? Thanx for anyone who can help me. > > fabrice. That's because they are equal! PHP interprets the string "0X0" as zero in Hexidecimal and that is equal to 0. What are you trying to accomplish? Ken Fabrice R?gnier <regnier.fab@free.fr> wrote: > Everything is in the title. the pr...

Problem with "Expect" ? "Telnet"? "TclApp"?
Hi, My script try to "Telnet" a machine with "Expect", and it is wrapped to EXE extension with "TclApp". DEP is turned off, and file dgbhelp.dll exists. And now, I run the script. It works well in some PC. However in others, it turns out that the commands in "Telnet" is not executed. I capture the packets, and find that the "username" is not promoted when the server ask for it. Then I try the tcl extension script, it is OK in every PC. I have no idea what's going on.It is the problem of "Expect", "Telnet", or "TclApp", or the OS of my PCs? zhoujingyu Regards, The problem troubles me so much. I am crying for you help. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you very much! Regards, zhoujingyu At 2008-04-23 08:51PM, "1985zhoujingyu@163.com" wrote: > The problem troubles me so much. I am crying for you help. Can anyone > give me some advice? Thank you very much! Show us your Expect script. -- Glenn Jackman "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -- Bill Vaughan On 4=D4=C224=C8=D5, =CF=C2=CE=E79=CA=B124=B7=D6, Glenn Jackman <gle...@ncf.c= a> wrote: > > Show us your Expect script. > > -- > Glenn Jackman > "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, > it'...

"Log out", "Shut down", and "Restart" inoperative?
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3174031899_112514 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit (BTW, thanks to all for suggestions re. Network performance � it turned out there was some packet loss) Selecting log out, shut down, or restart from apple menu has no effect on G5 w/10.3.4 (with latest patches). Sleep does work, however. No �spinning ball� cursor or error message � just doesn�t work. This worked at first, t...

"token" "token sequence" "scalar variable" "vector" ??
Hi, can someone tell me what the following words mean as per C/clc: 1) token 2) token sequence 3) scalar variable 4) vector "G Fernandes" <ge.fernandes@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1108685930.401684.323430@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, can someone tell me what the following words mean as per C/clc: > > 1) token > Section A.1.1(of c99): keyword identifier constant string-literal punctuator > 2) token sequence Think any allowable combination of the above mentioned tokens. e.g., const volatile int *x; > > 3) scalar v...

Web resources about - "execs" or "scripts" - comp.lang.rexx