BSF v450 OORexx 4.2 - trying to use BSF to access a Java bean - can't get past callling setter "setServer_Name('server1')"

if rxFuncQuery("BSF") then  /* no bsf4rexx support available yet, hence load Java */
do
   call rxFuncAdd "BsfLoadFuncs", "BSF4ooRexx", "BsfLoadFuncs"
   call BsfLoadFuncs    /* load all BSF-functions                    */
   call BsfLoadJava     /* load the JVM and set up BSF4Rexx-support  */
end

sbean=bsf('loadClass', 'StatusBean')

properties=bsf('invoke', sbean, "setServer_Name('server1')")  /* get the System properties  */

this gives

38 *-* if rxFuncQuery("BSF")
       >L>   "BSF"
       >A>   "BSF"
       >F>   RXFUNCQUERY => "0"
       >>>   "0"
    58 *-* sbean=bsf('loadClass', 'StatusBean')
       >L>   "loadClass"
       >A>   "loadClass"
       >L>   "StatusBean"
       >A>   "StatusBean"
       >F>   BSF => "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
       >>>   "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
       >=>   SBEAN <= "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
    60 *-* properties=bsf('invoke', sbean, "setServer_Name('server1')")  /* get the System properties  */
       >L>   "invoke"
       >A>   "invoke"
       >V>   SBEAN => "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
       >A>   "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
       >L>   "setServer_Name('server1')"
       >A>   "setServer_Name('server1')"
RexxDispatcher.java: Throwable of type 'org.rexxla.bsf.engines.rexx.RexxException' thrown while invoking Rexx:
getLocalizedMessage(): [BSF4ooRexx/routine/jniRexxRunProgram(), error 9:
       *-* Compiled routine BSF
Error 40 running Q:\std\QApacks\rexx_scripts\oorexx_subs\Get_server_status_2.rxj line 60:  Incorrect call to routine
Error 40.900:  BSF4ooRexx/routine/BSF(), error 3: Java exception occurred: [org.apache.bsf.BSFException: BSF4ooRexx subfunction "invoke":
	bean:   [<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2] type: [class java.lang.String]
	method: [setServer_Name('server1')] not found!]]

java calling the same bean

import java.util.*;

public class Test_bean2 {

		String Server_Name = "server1";

		StatusBean myBean = new StatusBean();

		myBean.setServer_Name(Server_Name);

		Vector<StatusRecord> records = myBean.getStatusRecords();

		for (StatusRecord statusRecord : records) {
			System.out.println(statusRecord.toShortString());
		}
	}

}
 I have tried the alternative format

Connect_Oracle=bsf('loadClass', 'StatusBean')
Connect_Oracle~setServer_Name("server1")

38 *-* if rxFuncQuery("BSF")
       >L>   "BSF"
       >A>   "BSF"
       >F>   RXFUNCQUERY => "0"
       >>>   "0"
    58 *-* Connect_Oracle=bsf('loadClass', 'StatusBean')
       >L>   "loadClass"
       >A>   "loadClass"
       >L>   "StatusBean"
       >A>   "StatusBean"
       >F>   BSF => "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
       >>>   "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
       >=>   CONNECT_ORACLE <= "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
    59 *-* Connect_Oracle~setServer_Name("server1")
       >V>   CONNECT_ORACLE => "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
       >L>   "server1"
       >A>   "server1"
RexxDispatcher.java: Throwable of type 'org.rexxla.bsf.engines.rexx.RexxException' thrown while invoking Rexx:
getLocalizedMessage(): [BSF4ooRexx/routine/jniRexxRunProgram(), error 9:
    59 *-* Connect_Oracle~setServer_Name("server1")
Error 97 running Q:\std\QApacks\rexx_scripts\oorexx_subs\Get_server_status_2.rxj line 59:  Object method not found
Error 97.1:  Object "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2" does not understand message "SETSERVER_NAME"]

I have looked through the samples and can't find one that calls a routine passing a string.

Please help
0
anthony
10/26/2014 5:16:44 PM
comp.lang.rexx 2135 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi there,

you should make your life easy by adding the requires directive

   ::requires BSF.CLS

at the end of your Rexx program. This will load the Java support and camouflages Java as ooRexx. As
a result it should be much, much easier to interact with Java.

Here is a transcription of the Java program to Rexx:

   server_name="server1"
   myBean=.BSF~new("StatusBean") -- this assumes that StatusBean has no package name!
   myBean~setServer_Name(server_name)
   records = mayBean~getStatusRecords
   do statusRecord over records
      say statusRecord~toShortString
   end

   ::requires BSF.CLS   -- load Java support

If the class "StatusBean" cannot be used to create an instance, then probably its fully qualified
name is different (you have no package name(s) preceding the Java class name).

The above code is untested, but should work, if your Java code works (unless "StatusBean" needs to
be named "java.util.StatusBean").

Please report back whether this could help you (and what the working code looks like)!

---rony

P.S.: If using BSF.CLS then there is no need to use the external Rexx function BSF() as all
functionality is available via the class .BSF or the appropriate public routines. This not only
simplifies the interaction with Java but also takes automatically care of garbage collecting the
Java objects as well.

P.P.S.: a few remarks:

> java calling the same bean
>
> import java.util.*;
>
> public class Test_bean2 {
>
> 	public static void main(String[] args) {
>
> 		String Server_Name = "server1";
>
> 		StatusBean myBean = new StatusBean();
>
> 		myBean.setServer_Name(Server_Name);
>
> 		Vector<StatusRecord> records = myBean.getStatusRecords();
>
> 		for (StatusRecord statusRecord : records) {
> 			System.out.println(statusRecord.toShortString());
> 		}
> 	}
>
> }
>  I have tried the alternative format
>
> Connect_Oracle=bsf('loadClass', 'StatusBean')

You are using the function interface BSF(). If you do so, then you should supply the returned value
always to bsf.wrap(), in your case:

    connect_oracle=bsf.wrap( bsf.('loadClass','StatusBean') )

You then would need to create an instance of the Java class 'StatusBean' before being able to employ
the bean for your purposes.

So it would be better and simpler to use the class .BSF (note the leading dot indicating this is an
envrionment symbol, which refers to the ooRexx class .BSF from BSF.CLS):

    connect_oracle=.bsf~new('StatusBean')  -- this creates an instance of "StatusBean"

> Connect_Oracle~setServer_Name("server1")
>
> 38 *-* if rxFuncQuery("BSF")
>        >L>   "BSF"
>        >A>   "BSF"
>        >F>   RXFUNCQUERY => "0"
>        >>>   "0"
>     58 *-* Connect_Oracle=bsf('loadClass', 'StatusBean')
>        >L>   "loadClass"
>        >A>   "loadClass"
>        >L>   "StatusBean"
>        >A>   "StatusBean"
>        >F>   BSF => "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
>        >>>   "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
>        >=>   CONNECT_ORACLE <= "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
>     59 *-* Connect_Oracle~setServer_Name("server1")
>        >V>   CONNECT_ORACLE => "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2"
>        >L>   "server1"
>        >A>   "server1"
> RexxDispatcher.java: Throwable of type 'org.rexxla.bsf.engines.rexx.RexxException' thrown while invoking Rexx:
> getLocalizedMessage(): [BSF4ooRexx/routine/jniRexxRunProgram(), error 9:
>     59 *-* Connect_Oracle~setServer_Name("server1")
> Error 97 running Q:\std\QApacks\rexx_scripts\oorexx_subs\Get_server_status_2.rxj line 59:  Object method not found
> Error 97.1:  Object "<O>java.lang.Class@12789d2" does not understand message "SETSERVER_NAME"]
>
> I have looked through the samples and can't find one that calls a routine passing a string.
>
> Please help

0
Rony
10/26/2014 5:37:32 PM
Anthony:

>> I have looked through the samples and can't find one that calls a routine passing a string.

have to go home so just another info: using Rexx means that you use an easy to use language where
one of the easiness comes from late binding (ie. data type is almost unimportant). The same
philosophy has been applied to the interface to Java, make Java look to Rexx as if it was not
strictly typed.

So, if you need to pass a string, just pass a string. Usually, you do not need to pay attention to
this as the BSF4ooRexx interface will do any needed type conversion to Java and from Java. Eg. the
Java primitive datatypes get converted to Rexx strings and Rexx strings representing primitive Java
types will be converted "behind the curtain" to the appropriate Java data types if calling from Rexx
into Java.

More about this, if you have further questions. However, it may be the case that I am only able to
answer them tomorrow (it is evening here in Vienna). Maybe others could step in in between who have
experimented with BSF4ooRexx.

Also, if you look into the "samples" directory there are quite many short ("nutshell") examples that
each stress a different concept and demonstrate how easy it becomes to exploit and take advantage of
Java if using [oo]Rexx!

---rony

0
Rony
10/26/2014 5:47:28 PM
On 26.10.2014 18:37, Rony wrote:

> Here is a transcription of the Java program to Rexx:
>
>    server_name="server1"
>    myBean=.BSF~new("StatusBean") -- this assumes that StatusBean has no package name!
>    myBean~setServer_Name(server_name)
>    records = mayBean~getStatusRecords

Oops, the above should read:

     records = myBean~getStatusRecords

>    do statusRecord over records
>       say statusRecord~toShortString
>    end
>
>    ::requires BSF.CLS   -- load Java support
>
> If the class "StatusBean" cannot be used to create an instance, then probably its fully qualified
> name is different (you have no package name(s) preceding the Java class name).
>
> The above code is untested, but should work, if your Java code works (unless "StatusBean" needs to
> be named "java.util.StatusBean").
>
> Please report back whether this could help you (and what the working code looks like)!

So please watch out for typos!

---rony
0
Rony
10/26/2014 5:55:51 PM
---rony thanks for your reply I have fixed the typo's and got further

latest version

#!/usr/bin/rexx

server_name="server1"
myBean=.BSF~new("StatusBean") -- this assumes that StatusBean has no package name!
myBean~setServer_Name(server_name)
records = myBean~getStatusRecords
do statusRecord over records
	say statusRecord~toShortString
end

::requires BSF.CLS   -- load Java support

now getting

RexxDispatcher.java: Throwable of type 'org.rexxla.bsf.engines.rexx.RexxException' thrown while invoking Rexx:
getLocalizedMessage(): [BSF4ooRexx/routine/jniRexxRunProgram(), error 9:
     7 *-*   do statusRecord over records
Error 98 running Q:\std\QApacks\rexx_scripts\oorexx_subs\Get_server_status_2.rxj line 7:  Execution error
Error 98.913:  Unable to convert object "java.util.Vector@b800" to a single-dimensional array value]

ideally I would like to get the returned record - which is mapped by java class

StatusRecord.java

import java.sql.Timestamp;

public class StatusRecord {
	Timestamp DATE_TIME_CHANGED;
    String PWX_VERSION ;
    String SERVER_NAME;
    int SERVER_NUMBER;
    String  SERVER_STATUS;
    String TEXT;
	@Override
	public String toString() {
		return "StatusRecord [DATE_TIME_CHANGED=" + DATE_TIME_CHANGED
				+ ", PWX_VERSION=" + PWX_VERSION + ", SERVER_NAME="
				+ SERVER_NAME + ", SERVER_NUMBER=" + SERVER_NUMBER
				+ ", SERVER_STATUS=" + SERVER_STATUS + ", TEXT=" + TEXT + "]";
	}

	public String toShortString() {
		return DATE_TIME_CHANGED
				+ "," + PWX_VERSION + ","
				+ SERVER_NAME + "," + SERVER_NUMBER
				+ "," + SERVER_STATUS + "," + TEXT;
	}

}

into rexx variables so they can be used by the rexx program.

Thank you for any help given.
Anthony
0
anthony
10/26/2014 9:40:55 PM
Hi Anthony,

On 26.10.2014 22:40, anthony.c195885@gmail.com wrote:
> ---rony thanks for your reply I have fixed the typo's and got further
>
> latest version
>
> #!/usr/bin/rexx
>
> server_name="server1"
> myBean=.BSF~new("StatusBean") -- this assumes that StatusBean has no package name!
> myBean~setServer_Name(server_name)
> records = myBean~getStatusRecords
> do statusRecord over records
> 	say statusRecord~toShortString
> end
>
> ::requires BSF.CLS   -- load Java support
>
> now getting
>
> RexxDispatcher.java: Throwable of type 'org.rexxla.bsf.engines.rexx.RexxException' thrown while invoking Rexx:
> getLocalizedMessage(): [BSF4ooRexx/routine/jniRexxRunProgram(), error 9:
>      7 *-*   do statusRecord over records
> Error 98 running Q:\std\QApacks\rexx_scripts\oorexx_subs\Get_server_status_2.rxj line 7:  Execution error
> Error 98.913:  Unable to convert object "java.util.Vector@b800" to a single-dimensional array value]
>
> ideally I would like to get the returned record - which is mapped by java class

O.K., then it is not a Java array that records represents, but java.util.Vector. Then the loop needs
to be written differently (there are many ways), eg.:

   iterator=records~iterator  -- get the iterator
   do while iterator~hasNext
       statusRecord=iterator~next  -- get element and position on next
       say statusRecord~toShortString
   end

> StatusRecord.java
>
> import java.sql.Timestamp;
>

> public class StatusRecord {
> 	Timestamp DATE_TIME_CHANGED;
>     String PWX_VERSION ;
>     String SERVER_NAME;
>     int SERVER_NUMBER;
>     String  SERVER_STATUS;
>     String TEXT;
> 	@Override
> 	public String toString() {
> 		return "StatusRecord [DATE_TIME_CHANGED=" + DATE_TIME_CHANGED
> 				+ ", PWX_VERSION=" + PWX_VERSION + ", SERVER_NAME="
> 				+ SERVER_NAME + ", SERVER_NUMBER=" + SERVER_NUMBER
> 				+ ", SERVER_STATUS=" + SERVER_STATUS + ", TEXT=" + TEXT + "]";
> 	}
>
> 	public String toShortString() {
> 		return DATE_TIME_CHANGED
> 				+ "," + PWX_VERSION + ","
> 				+ SERVER_NAME + "," + SERVER_NUMBER
> 				+ "," + SERVER_STATUS + "," + TEXT;
> 	}
>
> }
>
> into rexx variables so they can be used by the rexx program.

If you make the fields public in the Java class, then you can access all the Java fields directly
from Rexx as if they were ooRexx attributes (that is part of the camouflaging support by BSF.CLS), e.g.

    say statusRecord~pwx_version

> Thank you for any help given.
You are very welcome.

Please let us know how it goes!

---rony

0
Rony
10/27/2014 9:00:59 AM
 > using Rexx

You were using the programming language ObjectRexx here. Not Rexx.

 > ie. data type is almost unimportant

Expect that a lack of data types is a great way to reduce the speed of
execution, which tends to be rated by users as very important instead
of your "almost unimportant".

 >> Here is a transcription of the Java program to Rexx:

 >> myBean=.BSF~new("StatusBean") -- this assumes
 >> myBean~setServer_Name(server_name)
 >> records = mayBean~getStatusRecords

 > Oops, the above should read:

ObjectRexx. This ain't Rexx.

On 27.10.2014 12:22, A.D. Fundum wrote:>  > using Rexx

> You were using the programming language ObjectRexx here. Not Rexx.

Yes, you are right, it is ooRexx indeed, which to me is Rexx anyway, given its backward
compatibility. (And one can continue to run and write Rexx programs ad infinitum.)

There used to be a precursor  named "BSF4Rexx" that can be still fetched that would allow one to use
e.g. Regina to interact with Java and take the Java runtime environment as a huge external Rexx
function library.

When ooRexx 4.0 appeared it became possible to add important features to the package, as the ooRexx
kernel allows for interacting directly with ooRexx objects. Features not available in Rexx/SAA and
therefore the delivery of "BSF4*oo*Rexx". Among other new features, one can implement call backs in
ooRexx, implement Java interface classes or abstract methods of abstract Java classes in ooRexx,
things like that!

>  > ie. data type is almost unimportant
>
> Expect that a lack of data types is a great way to reduce the speed of
> execution, which tends to be rated by users as very important instead
> of your "almost unimportant".

Please supply figures, otherwise this is just FUD. A thinking ("speed of execution" matters
incredibly) that was justified 30 and more years ago, but no more.

If you had tested execution speeds you would have arrived at the interesting conclusion, that with
today's hardware interpreted programs run at speeds that are more than acceptible by their
programmers and their users.

You probably would be a proof yourself, given that you have been using Rexx for a long time for
professional programming, if I am not mistaken!

It is a design philosophy of BSF4ooRexx to make Java as "Rexxish" as possible, one means being to
make typing a non-issue for Rexx programmers (another one would be to forgo the need for exact
casing for method and field names, another one would be to camouflage Java fields as ooRexx
attributes, etc.).

---rony

0
Rony
10/27/2014 11:57:07 AM
--rony - thank you very much for the reply - it is now working.
To others I use OORexx for work - this involves working with many different=
 applications usually via OLE - OORexx enables these to be put together - a=
dding the ability to use Java as an extension is very useful - currently I =
use a not very well supported method for accessing Oracle tables its an old=
 rexx class that requires me to recompile a new version each time I move fr=
om 1 OORexx version to the next. Being able to access oracle via a JAVA bea=
n will mean I won't have to use this old non robust method in the future. A=
s to using rexx - I use rexx on AS400, MVS and much prefer using OORexx - I=
 am still leaning about class's and will admit to only using 1 of my own cl=
ass's but have found that 1 class saves me time. I do use many supplied cla=
ss's in my code this will now include BSF.cls.
One last thing I describe myself as a script writer not a programmer.
regards
Anthony
0
anthony
10/27/2014 1:28:07 PM
Hi Anthony,

On 27.10.2014 14:28, anthony.c195885@gmail.com wrote:
> --rony - thank you very much for the reply - it is now working.

Great!

> To others I use OORexx for work - this involves working with many different applications
> usually via OLE - OORexx enables these to be put together - adding the ability to use Java
> as an extension is very useful - currently I use a not very well supported method for
> accessing Oracle tables its an old rexx class that requires me to recompile a new version
> each time I move from 1 OORexx version to the next. Being able to access oracle via a JAVA
> bean will mean I won't have to use this old non robust method in the future.

> As to using rexx - I use rexx on AS400, MVS and much prefer using OORexx - I am still
> leaning about class's and will admit to only using 1 of my own class's but
> have found that 1 class saves me time. I do use many supplied class's in
> my code this will now include BSF.cls.

> One last thing I describe myself as a script writer not a programmer.

Very interesting, thank you very much for sharing this information!

Best regards,

---rony

0
Rony
10/27/2014 3:22:21 PM
On 10/27/2014 7:26 AM, A.D. Fundum wrote:
>   >> Here is a transcription of the Java program to Rexx:
>
>   >> myBean=.BSF~new("StatusBean") -- this assumes
>   >> myBean~setServer_Name(server_name)
>   >> records = mayBean~getStatusRecords
>
>   > Oops, the above should read:
>
> ObjectRexx. This ain't Rexx.
>

> --

Actually it's Open Object Rexx, since you like to split hairs. And we
all know that it's not Classic Rexx from the context.

--

Les               (Change Arabic to Roman to email me)

0
LesK
10/27/2014 4:15:42 PM
In <m2lbuv$5c6$1@speranza.aioe.org>, on 10/27/2014
   at 12:57 PM, Rony <rony.flatscher@wu-wien.ac.at> said:

>Please supply figures, otherwise this is just FUD. A thinking ("speed
>of execution" matters incredibly) that was justified 30 and more
>years ago, but no more.

The Devil is in the details. For some applications, speed matters
incredibly; for the type of application normally written in Rexx,
today's processors are fast enough that speed is often not an issue. I
certainly have applications written in interpreted languages that are
annoyingly slow, but some of that may be communications delays. The
real CPU hogs on my system seem to be FireFox and the TCP/IP stack.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
Shmuel
10/28/2014 4:48:37 AM
On 10/28/2014 12:48 AM, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> In <m2lbuv$5c6$1@speranza.aioe.org>, on 10/27/2014
>     at 12:57 PM, Rony <rony.flatscher@wu-wien.ac.at> said:
>
>> Please supply figures, otherwise this is just FUD. A thinking ("speed
>> of execution" matters incredibly) that was justified 30 and more
>> years ago, but no more.
>
> The Devil is in the details. For some applications, speed matters
> incredibly; for the type of application normally written in Rexx,
> today's processors are fast enough that speed is often not an issue. I
> certainly have applications written in interpreted languages that are
> annoyingly slow, but some of that may be communications delays. The
> real CPU hogs on my system seem to be FireFox and the TCP/IP stack.

I'd guess that what drives cpu consumption in Firefox is the use of
add-ons and the design of a large majority of web sites that are heavy
with eye-catching graphics, many of which are 'active' and must
constantly be redrawn. I willingly pay the performance price for my
add-ons, but sometimes they make a site inoperable, so I click on the
'Run site with IE' add-on icon.

--

Les               (Change Arabic to Roman to email me)

0
LesK

how to make ["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] into ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] ?
--001a11c34e8edbc7c404f6a94bbe Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 >>> x=["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] >>> y=x[2] >>> y ['c', 'd'] >>> x.insert(2,y[0]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> x.insert(3,y[1]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> del x[4] >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', &#...

(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4"))
(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns ((quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4")) Interesting and (for me) unexpected. Because (mapcar 'read '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns (1 2 3 4) and (mapcar 'princ '("1" "2" "3" "4")) gives 1234("1" "2" "3" "4") Why isn't (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4&q...

Why """, not '''?
Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? On Mar 5, 9:56 am, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Is it ? FWIW, I use single quotes whenever I can and double whenever I have to (i.e. rarely). George On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 06:56:24 -0800 (PST) MartinRinehart@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Where did you see that? The only place I saw it was the style guide and it was only talking about docstrings. Even there they used "...

Running Windows or Ubuntu on a multi-core CPU is there a way to get the O/S to use only 2 of the CPU's so that the other 2/4/6 CPU's are "free" for programs; in the sense ...
Running Windows or Ubuntu on a multi-core CPU is there a way to get the O/S to use only 2 of the CPU's so that the other 2/4/6 CPU's are "free" for programs; in the sense that those CPU's would have much less context switching and hence be more cache-friendly and pipeline-friendly? -- Regards, Casey Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME@istar.ca> writes: > Running Windows or Ubuntu on a multi-core CPU is there a way to get > the O/S to use only 2 of the CPU's so that the other 2/4/6 CPU's are > "free" for programs; in the sense ...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''') #2
Russell Nelson notes: > = > Choose poor examples, and then criticize them as poor choices? > = true enough, but the suggested scheme introduces another variable into the = language syntax; I might always make good choices <wink> on what delimiter = I choose, but I might also end up working on code written by someone else w= ho makes less good choices. Or vice versa. = > Exactly. It really would be better to have one(1) string literal > which can quote anything without reverting to backslashing. Why one? > Simpler parsing, simpler learning of the language, fewe...

'quote' to `quote'
Hi, what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally into `shocking', said Sally automatically as Tex read the author.txt file? Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said into ``whatever happens.'' he said. David R David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote: > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally > into `shocking', said Sally > automatically as Tex read the > author.txt file? It is possible (e.g. via an active '). But I suspect, this is a lot easier using a script language or similar. Also you ...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wron...

"Select" & "Order By" OK- ''WHERE'' Does'nt Work !
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. Basically, if i enter queries such as ; "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in "select * from table where ...

Matlab7 'bug' when using "subplot" + "imagesc"? #2
Hi, Does anybody know if Matlab7 has a 'bug' when using "subplot" + "imagesc"? I use to work with Matlab6.5 and using "subplot" + "imagesc" together in the same Figure worked absolutely fine: ======================================= a) all subplots where of the same size, b) the distances between them was the appropiate, c) and the size of the colorbar was perfect and the same for all subplots. ======================================= However I am now using Matlab7 and to my surprise using "subplot" + "imagesc" together ...

Steve Jobs

html dir="rtl" does 'a b c' in same direction as "ltr" but '1 2 3' in different direction

VB6 & Jet 4 & MDAC 2.7 RTM challenge
VB6 & Jet 4 & MDAC 2.7 RTM challenge - "Method '~' of object '~' failed" I've spent more than three full days trying to get a VB6 program to talk to my Access 2002 database, and gives error -2147024769 while refusing to connect to the local database. The program works on a development machine and used to also work on a WinXP clean install. However, now, it won't work no matter what I do even though the program is unchanged. In an attempt to solve this problem, I created versions using different MDACs using Microsoft's Visual Studio 6 deploymen...

VB6 & Jet 4 & MDAC 2.7 RTM challenge
VB6 & Jet 4 & MDAC 2.7 RTM challenge - "Method '~' of object '~' failed" I've spent more than three full days trying to get a VB6 program to talk to my Access 2002 database, and gives error -2147024769 while refusing to connect to the local database. The program works on a development machine and used to also work on a WinXP clean install. However, now, it won't work no matter what I do even though the program is unchanged. In an attempt to solve this problem, I created versions using different MDACs using Microsoft's Visual Studio ...

Hello. Well, I found this piece of code on php.net. Thats fine but where can i find explanation for all these ("|\')?([^ "\']*)("|\')?.*>([^<]*)' syntax so that I can construct my own rules for all kind of eregi preg and oter match functions ? Transform HTML links into plain-text "links" with the URL visible function AHREF2text($string) { return eregi_replace('<A .*HREF=("|\')?([^ "\']*)("|\')?.*>([^<]*)</A>', '[\\4] (link: \\2)', $string); } And another simple question, maybe ...

Unable to get "datetick('x','HHPM')" to work..
Dear all, I been trying to learn this example "Plot traffic count data against date ticks for hours of the day showing AM and PM." which is found here.. http://www.mathworks.co.jp/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/datetick.html but it seems I have problem with this command, datetick('x','HHPM') and it gave me this message... ??? Error using ==> datetick Unknown date format: HHPM However I tried using the second last command, plot(xdate,count) and it is plot the graph with out the x-axis label in date/time... Any help this this will be great.. Thanks...

Web resources about - BSF v450 OORexx 4.2 - trying to use BSF to access a Java bean - can't get past callling setter "setServer_Name('server1')" - comp.lang.rexx