Artima Ruby Buzz

In case you haven't seen it, Artima.com has created a new "Buzz"
section, where anyone with a weblog can point Artima at their RSS feeds,
and Artima will create an aggregation of posts in related topics.  You
can then use Artima's discussion functionality to leave comments, as
well as having access to an aggregated RSS feed of all items in that topic.

Artima has a "Ruby Buzz"
(http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123), so if you're
writing about Ruby on your weblog (which I know some of you are), go
sign up with Artima.  As of now, James Britt is the only one who has
signed up, so the Ruby category is looking pretty bare.

Chad

0
chadfowler (15)

Chad Fowler wrote:
> In case you haven't seen it, Artima.com has created a new "Buzz"
> section, where anyone with a weblog can point Artima at their RSS feeds,
> and Artima will create an aggregation of posts in related topics.  You
> can then use Artima's discussion functionality to leave comments, as
> well as having access to an aggregated RSS feed of all items in that topic.
>
> Artima has a "Ruby Buzz"
> (http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123), so if you're
> writing about Ruby on your weblog (which I know some of you are), go
> sign up with Artima.  As of now, James Britt is the only one who has
> signed up, so the Ruby category is looking pretty bare.

And what's somewhat disappointing is that Artima only allows one blog
per person per category, so it was a choice between ruby-doc and
rubyxml.  Assorted demands have been keeping me from contributing much
to either, but rubyxml has been suffering some code issues (rewriting
the back-end code is one of those assorted demands on my time) so I
opted for ruby-doc.org.

But by all means anybody with a Ruby-related web log should hook up an
Artima account and list a blog.

(Dave Thomas has his blog listed under "Design Buzz"; Artima itself
hosts a number of worthwhile blogs from the likes of Robert C. Martin
and Ward Cunningham: http://www.artima.com/weblogs/index.jsp
It's also featured a multipart interview with Dave and /\ndy.)

James

> Chad

0
james_b (924)
7/5/2003 5:47:19 PM
On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 11:47, james_b wrote:
> Chad Fowler wrote:
> > In case you haven't seen it, Artima.com has created a new "Buzz"
> > section, where anyone with a weblog can point Artima at their RSS feeds,
> > and Artima will create an aggregation of posts in related topics.  You
> > can then use Artima's discussion functionality to leave comments, as
> > well as having access to an aggregated RSS feed of all items in that topic.
> >
> > Artima has a "Ruby Buzz"
> > (http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123), so if you're
> > writing about Ruby on your weblog (which I know some of you are), go
> > sign up with Artima.  As of now, James Britt is the only one who has
> > signed up, so the Ruby category is looking pretty bare.
>
> And what's somewhat disappointing is that Artima only allows one blog
> per person per category, so it was a choice between ruby-doc and
> rubyxml.  Assorted demands have been keeping me from contributing much
> to either, but rubyxml has been suffering some code issues (rewriting
> the back-end code is one of those assorted demands on my time) so I
> opted for ruby-doc.org.

Simple workaround: One RSS file listing entries from two blogs.
Aggregate, then submit, instead of having them do it.

> But by all means anybody with a Ruby-related web log should hook up an
> Artima account and list a blog.

I have -- my RSS file is hand-updated at the moment, but that will
change as I develop my weblog-in-wiki software.

> (Dave Thomas has his blog listed under "Design Buzz"; Artima itself
> hosts a number of worthwhile blogs from the likes of Robert C. Martin
> and Ward Cunningham: http://www.artima.com/weblogs/index.jsp
> It's also featured a multipart interview with Dave and /\ndy.)

Which is excellent, by the way, and I highly suggest reading.  I'm on
part 5 of the interview now as I write this.

Ari

0
aredridel (268)

Ruby before Ruby ???

the power of Ruby and #ruby-lang
Two days ago, I mentioned I'd like to be able to read .dbf files. Yesterday, I mentioned it again. One of the replies I got was essentially "it's easier than you think, just build it. here's a link to the specs. I've written an xBase interface before, and I'll help you if you get stuck." That said, I looked. 24 hrs later, I now have a tool that will open and read .dbf files - including memos. It can't write them yet, but I've spec'd that out, and have the basics done (and tested). When I started this, I knew nothing about the xBase file specs, ...

Tk Ruby / Fx Ruby / Wx Ruby
I have looked at these three GUI's for Ruby, and would like to know which the community feels is the better of these three (or is there a better one that I haven't listed). I am building small applications with UI's that are not too complicated, and wrapping the apps into exe files with rubyscript2exe. I like the smaller size of the final product when using Tk, but the native look of Fx and Wx. What has been your experience with GUI toolkits for Ruby? Jayson Jayson Williams wrote: > I have looked at these three GUI's for Ruby, and would like to know > which the communi...

ruby-talk-ctl@ruby-lang.org
unsubscribe =2D-=20 I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> RTFM! Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote: > unsubscribe I think it was just a copy and paste error, nothing to shout about... Regards Florian Am 19.11.2009 um 16:18 schrieb Marc Dominik Migge: > RTFM! > > I=F1aki Baz Castillo wrote: >> unsubscribe > > ...

bad for Ruby in RUBY
...in the topic today Ruby in Ruby....talk about a hacking game using Ruby.... ****DANGER***** while a laud the game engine effort...BUT...to us business types trying to integrate this beautiful language swimming against NIH (not invented Here Syndrome) and MANY other prejudices....ANYthing the smells of Hack-idom will end any crusade for this language... and i refer also to the movie Mattew Broaderik's WAR GAMES.... -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Dave Rose wrote: > prejudices....ANYthing the smells of Hack-idom will end any crusade for > this language... and i ...

Ruby within Ruby
The following is a description of my situation. You may not need to read it, in which case, just skip to the part where it says "Enough of that," but you probably will need to read this. I am trying to make an online text based "hacking" game. Like, the kind where you infiltrate other people's computers and destroy their stuff. Basically, the game will be like a mud, but P2P, since I don't have/want to maintain a server for that kind of stuff. The game engine will be stored locally on the players computer. During distribution, I will use Ruby2Exe or similar ...

removing Ruby success stories page from Ruby-lang.org
The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame. compared to python success stories link this looks very weak. i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive Hi -- On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Rahul wrote: > > The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame. > > compared to python success stories link this looks very weak. > > i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive It's supposed to be informative, not impressive. Perhaps people can report their success stories and the page can be updated. David -- Q. What is THE Ruby book for Rails developers? A. RUBY FOR RAILS by David A. Black (http://www.manning.com/black) (See what readers are saying! http://www.rubypal.com/r4rrevs.pdf) Q. Where can I get Ruby/Rails on-site training, consulting, coaching? A. Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.rubypal.com) On 1/5/07, Rahul <vrahul@gmail.com> wrote: > > The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame. > > compared to python success stories link this looks very weak. > > i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive What would make it more impressive? I think this is a very subjective topic, and I think comparisons between other languages are an insufficient metric for determining whether the resource is helpful or not. Notable stories that should be added that I'm aware ...

offline Ruby class and library reference from www.ruby-lang.org?
Hi I am not very often online. But I am a frequently user of Ruby class and library reference. Is there any zip package for the whole reference that I can download and use it offline? Thanks ngoc ruby-doc.org has the goods, see http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads ChrisH wrote: > ruby-doc.org has the goods, see > http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads > But none of links from http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads are as user easily(friendly) as the one in "reference link" from www.ruby-lang.org. I can see all in one page from the "reference link". The best one is &qu...

Using ruby-openid/ruby-yadis w/o ruby gems
Dear devs, I am trying to use the ruby-openid/ruby-yadis gems without ruby gems, ie I just copied the lib files in a local lib directory (and placed this in the LOAD_PATH). When running the application I get the following error: /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:188:in `remove_method': method `description=' not defined in Gem::Specification (NameError) from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb: 188:in `overwrite_accessor' from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb: 331 from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1....

ruby-opengl, ruby-glut
Hello! I'm trying ruby-opengl on osx. (without x11) and so far, with some changes I managed to compile it and even run the samples once, but now it broke again. (strangely) This probably (surely) is an OSX question, but maybe someone can help me here Here's the error ruby sample/planet.rb objc: failed objc_getClass(NSObject) for GLUTApplication->isa->isa objc: please link appropriate classes in your program Trace/BPT trap I'm using ruby 1.8.1 (2003-10-30) [powerpc-darwin] on mac osx version 10.3.2 (panter) Alwin Whohoo! I've got Ruby-opengl to work on osX 10...

mysql-ruby or ruby-mysql?
We're currently using: Apache 2.0.46 mod_ruby 1.20 Ruby 1.8.x (stable snapshot) Mysql 4.0.20 Do you recommend mysql-ruby or ruby-mysql? And what version would be most reliable given our setup? Based on the history log of mysql-ruby, we're not sure if it is compatible with Mysql 4.0 because it mentions 4.1. Thanks! Randy Lawrence wrote: > We're currently using: > > Apache 2.0.46 > mod_ruby 1.20 > Ruby 1.8.x (stable snapshot) > Mysql 4.0.20 > > Do you recommend mysql-ruby or ruby-mysql? And what version would be > most reliable given our setup? ...

ruby-lang down?
Hi, It appears that ruby-lang.org is down. Anyone looking into this? Thanks, Dan It worked for me at 10:53 pm PST. Will On 1/2/06, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > It appears that ruby-lang.org is down. Anyone looking into this? > > Thanks, > > Dan > > > -- Will Shattuck ( willshattuck.at.gmail.com ) Home Page: http://www.thewholeclan.com/will When you get to your wit's end, you'll find God lives there. ...

Ruby Quiz for building up Ruby?
I put this suggestion to James Edward Gray II as a means to an end. I was thinking that if the quiz inspires people to tackle manageable problems, then it might be that we can use it to help us improve Ruby itself. We may get components for packages built up for the cases where people find them sufficiently interesting to write. So, would anyone object to this strategy? Is the problem expressed below sufficiently challenging to be of interest to those who know they could tackle it? Does it make a good quiz? James said I should ask, so I am. <quote> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:11:1...

ruby language parser in ruby
I'm looking for a ruby language parser written in ruby, that I can hack to play about with generating other ruby-like languages. I've found RubyParser. Are there any other options I should be looking at? * I see ruby 1.9 has ripper, but it's written as a C extension. I want something in pure ruby. * ParseTree is also in C I believe. * Possibly could look at the internals of rubinius? * Anything else? Thanks, Brian. -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Nov 29, 2009, at 03:23 , Brian Candler wrote: > I'm looking for a ruby language p...

[ANN] Ruby-Locale-0.9.0 / Ruby-Locale for Ruby on Rails-0.1.0
Hi, I'm pleased to announce 2 new libraries for Localization. * Ruby-Locale-0.9.0 * Ruby-Locale for Ruby on Rails-0.1.0 = Website http://rubyforge.org/projects/locale http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-locale.html http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-locale-howto.html (HOWTO) http://www.yotabanana.com/localeapi/files/README.html (Sample Website) http://www.yotabanana.com/locale_rails_sample/ = Install $ gem install locale $ gem install locale_rails = Ruby-Locale-0.9.0 Ruby-Locale is the pure ruby library which provides basic APIs for localization. It aims to support all environments which ruby works and all kind of programs (GUI, WWW, library, etc), and becomes the hub of other i18n/l10n libs/apps to handle major locale ID standards. * Manage Locale ID(Language Tag) * Thread safe. Each thread has a Locale ID. * POSIX, CLDR, IETF(RFC4646, 3066(BCP47)), Win32 and Java language tags and convert the tag each others. * Auto detect Locale ID. POSIX(Unix/Linux/*BSD), Win32, JRuby, CGI. * Resources * ISO 639-3 languages * ISO 3166 region(countries). * Support Ruby 1.8.7, Ruby 1.9.1, JRuby 1.1.4. Tested on Win32 and Linux. = Ruby-Locale for Ruby on Rails-0.1.0 Ruby-Locale for Ruby on Rails is the L10n plugin which works with Ruby on Rails 2.2. This is the first library which depends on Ruby-Locale. It supports Rails i18n and have the features below: * Auto-Detect the client locale * D...

Ruby extension (C++) on OS X [ruby 1.8.2] and Google-Sketchup [ruby 1.8.5]
Hi, I have written a ruby extension in C++ and it works fine on OS X Tiger which ships ruby-1.8.2. With the succesful test of the extension (bundle), I then proceed to try to use it within Google-Sketchup [which I think embeds ruby-1.8.5]. Sketchup crashes the application just loading the extension. 8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------ void Init_rcl(void) { cRCL = rb_define_class("rcl", rb_cObject); <=== /CRASH 8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8...

Ruby to java or java to ruby converter
hi, am a newbie to ruby and was wondering whether there is any ruby2java or java2ruby converter? we are planning to compare both the languages based on some benchmarks..so thought a converter would come in handy. any suggestions? thanx, vinod -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. From: "Vinod Kone" <vinodkone@yahoo.com> > > am a newbie to ruby and was wondering whether there is any ruby2java or > java2ruby converter? we are planning to compare both the languages based > on some benchmarks..so thought a converter would come in handy. any > suggestions? ...

[ruby evangelism hint] ruby + DaemonNews ?
daemon news, a great news site about *BSD publishes a monthly ezine about development, administration and daily usage of the bsd family OS/applications. For the second time they are asking the readers to write articles, and I wondered if there is someone here that would like to write some ruby related stuff for them. Ruby could get a good grip in the bsd world (it already has, I think), so why don't save some free time to evangelize ruby a little more? ;) ...

Start from the start
I'm looking to start developing a simple task management application with a web interface.Three views - User/Admin/Status. No database yet as i think that would be overkill. I intend to store the data in xml files for the moment. My question - i am pretty new to development. I have been working as a qa engineer for some time and have good unix skills but have only ever really played with java/perl with no great success. Have had enough of wishing for applications or features. I'm going to write my own. I would appreciate any pointers the group could offer. For starters i am unsure if...

Ruby::DL vs Ruby::FFI
Ruby.DL and FFI libraries are great for programmers like me who are not int= ernet programmers, but are more interested in scientific and number process= ing etc.=0A=0AI really like FFI, though I started with DL since at that tim= e FFI won't build on windoz. Good part of DL is that it is part of standard= libary, not supported (fully) by JRuby though. FFI on the other hand has m= atured and is available on windoz, greatest joy is same script will, in all= probability run across all implementations.=0A=0Arecently few days back I = saw some svn msgs suggesting that DL's depende...

The creator of Ruby explains why Ruby sucks
http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/slides/rc2003/index.html http://news.ycombinator.com/ 2008/5/27 S2 <email@fin.ta>: > http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/slides/rc2003/index.html Your point being? This is old stuff. robert -- use.inject do |as, often| as.you_can - without end Robert Klemme wrote: > 2008/5/27 S2 <email@fin.ta>: >> http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/slides/rc2003/index.html > > Your point being? nothing. i read this on ycombinator and thought it's interesting: let's see what comp.lang.ruby thinks about this. > This is old stuff. sorry. 5 y...

Komodo is the IDE for Ruby and Ruby on Rails!
The new Komodo IDE 4.0 is the first unified workspace for end-to-end development of dynamic web applications. A rich feature set for client- side Ajax languages such as CSS, HTML, JavaScript and XML, coupled with advanced support for dynamic languages such as Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and Tcl, enables developers to quickly and easily create robust web apps. Komodo is the first IDE to provide professional debugging tools for Ruby and Rails application development. The Ruby interactive shell is available separately or from within debugging sessions. Komodo is the IDE for Ruby and Ruby on Rails! ht...

ruby-postgres for Ruby 1.9
It looks like ruby-postgres needs some patching due to the changes in rubyio.h. I believe these two changes take care of the problem: /* PQtrace(get_pgconn(obj), fp->f2?fp->f2:fp->f); */ PQtrace(get_pgconn(obj), fp->stdio_file); /* PQprint(fp->f2?fp->f2:fp->f, get_pgresult(obj), &po);*/ PQprint(fp->stdio_file, get_pgresult(obj), &po); I'm using the force a bit here, and assuming that the additional pointer for rw pipes has been deprecated. In my defense it compiles and runs. Who's the current maintainer of ruby-postgres? -- ...

ruby CGI sessions
Long time no type. I have a question about CGI sessions in Ruby. I'm adding a web front end to the (crazy) Ruby BBS. I want to be able to track and display the active sessions. In .asp (evil evil) this would be trivial. I can't figure out how to do it in Ruby. ...

Web resources about - Artima Ruby Buzz - comp.lang.ruby

亚泰(东莞)木业有限公司 ARTIMA (Dongguan) Wood Work Co., Ltd.
這個頁面上的內容需要較新版本的 Adobe Flash Player。 中文版 English Huihua

The Artima Developer Community
Artima.com is a collection of resources about Java, Jini, the JVM, and object oriented design. Here you'll find articles, books, tutorials, FAQs, ...

Ruby on Rails - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
3.2.8 / August 9, 2012 ; 25 days ago ( 2012-08-09 ) 3.2.4.rc1 / May 28, 2012 ; 3 months ago ( 2012-05-28 ) Ruby on Rails , often shortened to ...

TheThreeRulesOfTdd
ArticleS . UncleBob . Edit Page: !title The Three Laws of TDD.Over the years I have come to describe Test Driven Development in terms of three ...

Code Query and Rule over LINQ
... increasingly popular in the Java community thanks to the crap4J plugin . The C.R.A.P metric has been exposed by Alberto Savoia in this Artima ...

Brantonne
René (1903-1979) was one of the foremost French science fiction illustrators. began his career as a commercial artist in the late 1920s, drawing ...

Developer Testing: How much test coverage do you need? - The Testivus Answer
Referring to "The Way of Testivus" entry: http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=203994 Morgan Conrad asked: "What is Testivus' ...

Mike Slive's New Recruiting Rules Put SEC on Probation
Your best source for quality Mississippi St. Bulldogs news, rumors, analysis, stats and scores from the fan perspective.

tag index
Intro Bliki Design Agile Refactoring DSL Delivery About Me ThoughtWorks Index of All Content tags API design · academia · agile · agile adoption ...

Vorlath - Links
My Opera Community News Blogs Photos Members Groups Opera Opera news Forums Opera Link Skins & buttons Sign up Log in Software Development Correcting ...