extract contents from pdf (pdf reader)

Hi,
=20
I am looking for a way to read the contents of the pdf document. Could
you pls advice on how to go about it? I have tried using the pdf-reader
gem but ran into issues. Are there any other gems out there?
=20
The issue I am facing with pdf-reader is - I installed 0.7.5 gem on
Windows and am having 1.8.6 version of ruby. Now there seems to be some
issue with the 0.7.5 version and hence downgraded to 0.7.3 as per the
suggestions of the gem author in one of his replies on the mailing list.
But even with 0.7.3, I am seeing the same issue. Am I missing something?
=20
D:\Profiles\admin\My Documents>ruby pdf_reader_test.rb=20
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-reader-0.7.3/lib/pdf/reader/content.r
b:430:in `page_count': wrong number of arguments (1 for 0)
(ArgumentError)
=20
Thanks in advance.

0
rajmohan (3)

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:29 PM, P Rajmohan Banavi-A17190
<rajmohan@motorola.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a way to read the contents of the pdf document. Could
> you pls advice on how to go about it? I have tried using the pdf-reader
> gem but ran into issues. Are there any other gems out there?

AFAIK PDF::Reader is the only serious option, and I see you've posted
on the PDF::Reader mailing list so I'm sure James will get back to you
soon.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

Ruby, CSV and PDF / Porting xtopdf to Ruby with PDF::Writer
Hey, Started porting my xtopdf PDF creation/conversion toolkit - http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf - from Python to Ruby. Using PDF::Writer for the underlying PDF creation work. It looks like a good component. Details here: http://jugad.livejournal.com/2006/07/24/ And here: http://jugad.livejournal.com/2006/07/25/ Also did some work on porting DBFReader.py, another part of xtopdf, to Ruby. Coding in Ruby really seems to flow with ease - a tribute to the language design. Will be creating a RubyForge project for it after some more work is done. Anyone who wants to know when that hap...

PDF::Reader streamed into PDF::Writer
Hi Folks, Does PDF::Reader integrate at all with PDF::Writer? What I'm attempting to do is read a pdf file while writing it back out in pdf with additional data added(i.e. form fields populated). Essentially this is a premade template I want to dynamically populate. My guess would be to map all the callbacks received from PDF::Reader into an associated PDF::Writer function, but that would take massive amounts of man-hours to complete. I've searched a few posts but haven't seen anything exactly like what I'm looking for other than http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/147310#new ...

Extract some pages out of PDF in to a new PDF
Mission: To extract some pages out of a PDF and create a new PDF Tools available: Adobe Acrobat SDK for 6.0 and .NET studio Code written so far has been pasted below Dim AcroExchApp As Acrobat.CAcroApp Dim OldPdDoc As Acrobat.CAcroPDDoc Dim NewPdDoc As Acrobat.CAcroPDDoc Dim i As Integer Dim outputPageCount As Integer Dim inputPageCount As Integer AcroExchApp = CreateObject("AcroExch.App") OldPdDoc = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc") NewPdDoc = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc") ...

Extract PDF content?
Hi all, Is there any gem or library which allows to extract text from a .PDF file?, any for Word or OpenOffice files? reading pdf with pure ruby? no. Only creating pdf now..... Reading word? I don't know..... EdUarDo wrote: > Hi all, > > Is there any gem or library which allows to extract text from a .PDF file?, any for Word or OpenOffice files? I don't know about PDFs, but there are several programs available that can convert a Word file into HTML - you'll probably lose formatting, but you should then be able to process the file like any other XML to extract the te...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

PDF Image Thumbnails and online PDF reader
Hello, are there any free resources for converting a PDF file to images. I have to create the first page thumbnail of many pdf files. I'm not allowed to install software on the server, so solutions like ImageMagik are excluded. And the second question - a need to display the pdf file from a site in a way similar to google books (say pdf online reader). This question if obviously linked with the first one. Thank you ! In article <eaf81b5d-4808-4674-9e3c-b413265006e1@d17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, Eugen COCA <ecoca@eed.usv.ro> wrote: >Hello, > >are the...

Display a PDF file with the defalut PDF Reader?
Hello, I'm trying to show a PDF file with the default PDF Reader (Adobe, Foxit, etc.) With RUN(PDFFile), I only see a quick command windows. I also find a small information about HB_RUN(), but I think this function is only available in Harbour! My small test Function: STATIC FUNCTION SchowPDF() Local PDFfile Local FieldName := ReadVar() // nom du champ courant ouvert if !Empty(&FieldName) PDFfile := PathSDB+&FieldName RUN(PDFfile) else Mes(,"PDF " + FieldName + " is Empty!") end Return(.t.) Regards Otto Hello, I sugg...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

4x PDF Help
Hi Everyone -- we've launched a new question and answer site for all PDF questions. It's based on the highly popular technology platform used by StackOverflow.com, and provides a great environment for getting your questions answered and answering other people's questions. Check it out --> http://help.4xpdf.com/ Cheers, - Rowan. ...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which ap...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. ...

PDF TO PDF MULTIPAGES
Hello, (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf It doesn't work. Is works with jpeg files: gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle.pdf Thanks for Help. Christophe BADET Christophe BADET wrote: > Hello, > > (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) > i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: > > gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf > It doesn't work. > Is works with jpeg files: > gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle....

Web resources about - extract contents from pdf (pdf reader) - comp.lang.ruby

Portal:Contents/Culture and the arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word culture is derived from the Latin root cultura or cultus meaning to "inhabit, cultivate, or honour". In general, culture refers to human ...

Rare and sentimental contents of heritage-listed Huntly to be sold at auction
The contents of beloved pastoral homestead Huntly will be sold at auction on Sunday.

Vevo announces native app for Apple TV, offers curated content based on your tastes
... Apple TV , and Apple TV continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Vevo announces native app for Apple TV, offers curated content ...

Agencies, Marketing-Tech Companies on Quest for Personalized Content
... to take a break from the usual dog-and-pony show at CES to discuss a mutual opportunity getting agencies to create more personalized content ...

Snapchat Wants Its MTV, Inks Content & Ad Deal With Viacom
Snapchat is making a steady march toward maturation. While the mobile platform decided not to continue creating original content in-house, Snapchat ...

Kickass Torrents now lets you stream movies just like Netflix, as content owners fight back
... you desire in a browser, rather than downloading it and playing it on your computer. Mind you, these services offer access to illegal content, ...

5 Evergreen Content Marketing Techniques That Can do Wonders for You!
What is Content Marketing? Content marketing is one of the most valuable marketing techniques in today’s technology and internet savvy world. ...

Forbes Career Opportunity: Senior Content Producer
Forbes Media seeks a Senior Content Producer to oversee the Entrepreneurs channel of Forbes.com. Senior Producers are active participants in ...

B2B Marketers: Mind The Content Credibility Gap
Delivering credible, objective, and engaging content is a must for today's B2B marketer as prospects discover, explore, and buy your solution. ...