How do I install both Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9?

Hi,

I have Ruby 1.8 installed (on Linux) in /usr/local/bin/.

I want to have a copy of a Ruby 1.9 snapshot around too, so I can try
out stuff out with that.

But I can't figure out how to install it in a different location.
I've altered the "prefix" variable in the Makefile, but when I do a
"make install", it just overwrites my Ruby 1.8 installation in /usr/
local/bin.

I imagine there is a simple solution to this.  Can anyone share it?

    David Flanagan

0
dflanagan (16)

In message "Re: How do I install both Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9?"
    on Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:45:09 +0900, dflanagan@gmail.com writes:

|I have Ruby 1.8 installed (on Linux) in /usr/local/bin/.
|
|I want to have a copy of a Ruby 1.9 snapshot around too, so I can try
|out stuff out with that.

Try supplying --program-suffix to configure.
I use --program-suffix=1.9 for 1.9.

							matz.

0
matz (1855)
2/6/2007 7:01:15 AM
Thanks, Matz!

  David

On Feb 5, 11:01 pm, Yukihiro Matsumoto <m...@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: How do I install both Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9?"
>     on Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:45:09 +0900, dflana...@gmail.com writes:
>
> |I have Ruby 1.8 installed (on Linux) in /usr/local/bin/.
> |
> |I want to have a copy of a Ruby 1.9 snapshot around too, so I can try
> |out stuff out with that.
>
> Try supplying --program-suffix to configure.
> I use --program-suffix=1.9 for 1.9.
>
>                                                         matz.

0
dflanagan (16)
2/6/2007 7:24:07 AM
run

/configure --help

to see all the options

usually, i do:

configure --prefix=/usr/local/opt/ruby/1.9 --program-suffix=.yarv

and then symlink what is in /usr/local/opt/ruby/1.9/bin to
/usr/local/bin .

hope this helps,

vlad

v.konrad (22)