Install to bin dir?

I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been 
done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then 
reinvent the wheel.

I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing 
for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin 
files during installation?

-- 
T.


0
transami (959)
8/27/2004 9:33:31 PM
comp.lang.ruby 48879 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

15 Replies
404 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 06:33:31 +0900, T. Onoma <transami@runbox.com> wrote:
> I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been
> done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then
> reinvent the wheel.
> 
> I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing
> for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin
> files during installation?
> 
> 

Quite easy with RubyGems: 
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?CreateAGemInTenMinutes
(specifically look at bindir and executables in the gem spec).

Alternatively, look in RubyGems' install.rb for the part that creates
binary stubs to see how we determine the bin directory.

Chad


0
chadfowler1 (309)
8/27/2004 9:38:22 PM
On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 06:33:31AM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been 
> done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then 
> reinvent the wheel.
> 
> I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing 
> for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin 
> files during installation?

require 'rbconfig'
require 'ftools'
destdir = Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
# ...
exec_files.each do |f|
	File.install f, File.join(destdir, File.basename(f)), 0755
end


If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).

-- 
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com



0
batsman.geo (482)
8/27/2004 10:09:14 PM
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, T. Onoma wrote:

> I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been
> done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then
> reinvent the wheel.
>
> I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing
> for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin
> files during installation?

a modified install.rb:


#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'rbconfig'
require 'find'
require 'ftools'
include Config

LIBDIR      = "lib"
LIBDIR_MODE = 0644

BINDIR      = "bin"
BINDIR_MODE = 0755


$srcdir      = CONFIG["srcdir"]
$version     = CONFIG["MAJOR"]+"."+CONFIG["MINOR"]
$libdir      = File.join(CONFIG["libdir"], "ruby", $version)
$archdir     = File.join($libdir, CONFIG["arch"])
$site_libdir = $:.find {|x| x =~ /site_ruby$/}
$bindir      = CONFIG["bindir"]

if !$site_libdir
   $site_libdir = File.join($libdir, "site_ruby")
elsif $site_libdir !~ %r/#{Regexp.quote($version)}/
   $site_libdir = File.join($site_libdir, $version)
end

def install_rb(srcdir=nil, destdir=nil, mode=nil)
   path   = []
   dir    = []
   Find.find(srcdir) do |f|
     next unless FileTest.file?(f)
     next if (f = f[srcdir.length+1..-1]) == nil
     next if (/CVS$/ =~ File.dirname(f))
     path.push f
     dir |= [File.dirname(f)]
   end
   for f in dir
     next if f == "."
     next if f == "CVS"
     File::makedirs(File.join(destdir, f))
   end
   for f in path
     next if (/\~$/ =~ f)
     next if (/^\./ =~ File.basename(f))
     File::install(File.join(srcdir, f), File.join(destdir, f), mode, true)
   end
end

def ARGV.switch
   return nil if self.empty?
   arg = self.shift
   return nil if arg == '--'
   if arg =~ /^-(.)(.*)/
     return arg if $1 == '-'
     raise 'unknown switch "-"' if $2.index('-')
     self.unshift "-#{$2}" if $2.size > 0
     "-#{$1}"
   else
     self.unshift arg
     nil
   end
end

def ARGV.req_arg
   self.shift || raise('missing argument')
end


# main program
libdir = $site_libdir
bindir = $bindir

begin
   while switch = ARGV.switch
     case switch
     when '-d', '--destdir'
       libdir = ARGV.req_arg
     when '-l', '--libdir'
       libdir = ARGV.req_arg
     when '-b', '--bindir'
       bindir = ARGV.req_arg
     else
       raise "unknown switch #{switch.dump}"
     end
   end
rescue
   STDERR.puts $!.to_s
   STDERR.puts File.basename($0) +
     " -d <destdir>" +
     " -l <libdir>" +
     " -b <bindir>"
   exit 1
end

install_rb(LIBDIR, libdir, LIBDIR_MODE)
install_rb(BINDIR, bindir, BINDIR_MODE)



cheers.

-a
--
===============================================================================
| EMAIL   :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
| PHONE   :: 303.497.6469
| A flower falls, even though we love it;
| and a weed grows, even though we do not love it. 
|   --Dogen
===============================================================================
0
Ara.T.Howard2 (2805)
8/27/2004 10:35:40 PM
On Friday 27 August 2004 05:38 pm, Chad Fowler wrote:
> Quite easy with RubyGems:
> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?CreateAGemInTenMinutes
> (specifically look at bindir and executables in the gem spec).

No doubt! And I have a setup for that. While it's tempting to take a Gem only 
route, I'm thinking it a good idea to hang on to a manual install too. Is 
that a good idea? I would like to here the pros and cons of that!

> Alternatively, look in RubyGems' install.rb for the part that creates
> binary stubs to see how we determine the bin directory.

Thanks, Chad. I've taken a look at the gems install.rb. I grok most of it but 
what's this about?

    if is_windows_platform
      File.open(target+".cmd", "w") do |file|
        file.puts "@ruby #{target} %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"
      end
    end

T.


0
transami (959)
8/27/2004 10:42:30 PM
On Friday 27 August 2004 06:09 pm, Mauricio Fern�ndez wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 06:33:31AM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> > I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its
> > been done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask
> > rather then reinvent the wheel.
> >
> > I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does
> > nothing for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where
> > to put bin files during installation?
>
> require 'rbconfig'
> require 'ftools'
> destdir = Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
> # ...
> exec_files.each do |f|
> 	File.install f, File.join(destdir, File.basename(f)), 0755
> end
>
>
> If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
> I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
> do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).

Now you tell me! ;)

-- 
T.



0
transami (959)
8/27/2004 10:45:42 PM
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:42:30 +0900, T. Onoma <transami@runbox.com> wrote:
> On Friday 27 August 2004 05:38 pm, Chad Fowler wrote:
> > Quite easy with RubyGems:
> > http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?CreateAGemInTenMinutes
> > (specifically look at bindir and executables in the gem spec).
> 
> No doubt! And I have a setup for that. While it's tempting to take a Gem only
> route, I'm thinking it a good idea to hang on to a manual install too. Is
> that a good idea? I would like to here the pros and cons of that!
> 

Doing both is definitely a good plan for now.  But, of course, make
sure your users know which one you prefer (hint hint) :)

> > Alternatively, look in RubyGems' install.rb for the part that creates
> > binary stubs to see how we determine the bin directory.
> 
> Thanks, Chad. I've taken a look at the gems install.rb. I grok most of it but
> what's this about?
> 
>     if is_windows_platform
>       File.open(target+".cmd", "w") do |file|
>         file.puts "@ruby #{target} %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"
>       end
>     end
> 

This is a hack to create 'shell scripts' for Windows users.  It's what
makes, for example, "rake blah" work from the command line in Windows.

It's obviously a little brittle as is.  Any ideas for improvement from
Windows experts would be welcome.

Thanks,
Chad


0
chadfowler1 (309)
8/27/2004 10:53:42 PM
On Friday 27 August 2004 06:45 pm, Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> a modified install.rb:
>
> [snip]

Pretty nice example!

T.

P.S. Thank you, everyone, for all your help!


0
transami (959)
8/28/2004 2:12:51 AM
On Friday 27 August 2004 06:09 pm, Mauricio Fern�ndez wrote:
> require 'rbconfig'
> require 'ftools'
> destdir = Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
> # ...
> exec_files.each do |f|
> 	File.install f, File.join(destdir, File.basename(f)), 0755
> end

Hmm...

  Config::CONFIG["destdir"]

and not? 

  Config::CONFIG['bindir']


> If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
> I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
> do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).

Is setup.rb considered the "premier" way to do it? Looks like it handles 
compiling for .so too. Is that right? I wonder if it would be worth turning 
setup.rb into a rake extension? (And how hard it would be?).

T.



0
transami (959)
8/28/2004 3:04:44 AM
On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 12:04:44PM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> Hmm...
> 
>   Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
> 
> and not? 
> 
>   Config::CONFIG['bindir']

Oops, clearly CONFIG["bindir"] -- in fact that was my rather laconic
initial draft ("require 'rbconfig'; bindir = Config::CONFIG['bindir']"), 
but I introduced the braino when writing the code above :P

> > If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
> > I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
> > do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).
> 
> Is setup.rb considered the "premier" way to do it? Looks like it handles 
> compiling for .so too. Is that right? I wonder if it would be worth turning 
> setup.rb into a rake extension? (And how hard it would be?).

IMHO it's still the most comfortable/best general way to create installers
(not "packages") for Ruby libs/apps; it is also repackager-friendly and
promotes good development practices regarding source code structure.
It handles extensions, data dirs... without any problem. Ruby-land would
be a better place if everybody used setup.rb instead of custom installers.

I would have preferred RubyGems to work as a metadata/dependency layer
on top of setup.rb.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'rake extension': if you
really want to do  rake install, just copying setup.rb into your source
dir and something like

task :install do
  require 'rbconfig'
  ruby = File.join(Config::CONFIG["bindir"], 
                   Config::CONFIG['ruby_install_name']) + Config::CONFIG['EXEEXT']
  #FIXME: possible win32 issue with / vs \
  system "#{ruby} setup.rb" 
end

would do.

-- 
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com



0
batsman.geo (482)
8/28/2004 9:26:33 AM
Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg. 
Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital 
letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better 
systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?

On Saturday 28 August 2004 05:26 am, Mauricio Fern�ndez wrote:
> IMHO it's still the most comfortable/best general way to create installers
> (not "packages") for Ruby libs/apps; it is also repackager-friendly and
> promotes good development practices regarding source code structure.
> It handles extensions, data dirs... without any problem. Ruby-land would
> be a better place if everybody used setup.rb instead of custom installers.

Curious. I've looked it over some. It looks pretty complete (much larger then 
install.rb, that's for sure). But, if it is as good as you suggest (and, mind 
you, I do not doubt you are quite correct), I wonder why it has never been 
bundled with Ruby? Then I think, maybe it would be except it doesn't lend 
itself to being used as a library (i.e. you have to copy and paste it into 
your directory.) That may well be the case. Thankfully, it is now potentially 
correctable with Rake.

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'rake extension': if you
> really want to do  rake install, just copying setup.rb into your source
> dir and something like
>
> task :install do
>   require 'rbconfig'
>   ruby = File.join(Config::CONFIG["bindir"],
>                    Config::CONFIG['ruby_install_name']) +
> Config::CONFIG['EXEEXT'] #FIXME: possible win32 issue with / vs \
>   system "#{ruby} setup.rb"
> end

Well, that's a start. But what i sneeded is being able to use setup.rb as an 
API, so that we could put in a Rakefile:

  Rake::SetupTask.new { |st|
    st.verbose = true
    # and other options for setup
  }

Then one could do:

  rake setup config
  rake setup setup
  rake setup install

See how this turns setup into a reusable component? Now you might think: 
"What's the big deal? Just Copy setup.rb." But what if the Gem people said 
the same thing and the RDoc people, and that Rubyforge publisher script, and 
the ... so forth and so on.  My program's directory could soon have more 
support scripts in it then actual scripts of its own. That's why it's really 
nice to encapsulate these things via Rake.

-- 
T.



0
transami (959)
8/28/2004 12:03:22 PM
On Saturday, August 28, 2004, 10:03:22 PM, T. wrote:

> Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg.
> Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital
> letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better
> systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?

Ruby-land has gained a very powerful standard library, thus boosting
the power of software that can be assumed to run on a person's system.
You may notice neither of the capital-letter package managers run on
Ruby 1.6.

Another factor, I imagine, is the increasing amount of software
entreating installation, and the consequent thirst for easier ways of
doing it.

Gavin



0
gsinclair1 (862)
8/28/2004 12:59:32 PM
On Saturday 28 August 2004 08:03 am, T. Onoma wrote:
> Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg.
> Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital
> letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better
> systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?

That may have come across a bit negative. That wasn't my intent. (Hey, I love 
RubyGems!) I was really just noting the parallel progression (raainstall -> 
RubyGems, rpkg -> RPA), and sincerely asking what have been the notable 
improvements over the previous systems.

Thanks,
T.


0
transami (959)
8/28/2004 3:52:22 PM
On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:52:22AM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> On Saturday 28 August 2004 08:03 am, T. Onoma wrote:
> > Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg.
> > Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital
> > letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better

rpa-base has no capital letters ;)

> > systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?
> 
> That may have come across a bit negative. That wasn't my intent. (Hey, I love 
> RubyGems!) I was really just noting the parallel progression (raainstall -> 
> RubyGems, rpkg -> RPA), and sincerely asking what have been the notable 
> improvements over the previous systems.

There are noticeable differences between the systems you mention.
To begin with, RPA is the Ruby Production Archive, a broad project, and
not only a package manager, which is AFAIK unprecedented in ruby-land
(not that it matters anyway). The port/package manager I developed for
RPA is rpa-base (really need a better name it seems).

Now, raainstall was built as a layer on top of RAA, and leveraged the
setup.rb/install.rb from the upstream sources. It could have worked
if setup.rb was used by everybody AND they had normalized the metadata
(the one in RAA is very heterogeneous).

RubyGems aims to become the Ruby standard for publishing and managing
third party libraries. It basically discards the original installers
(custom install.rb scripts or Aoki's setup.rb) and asks the upstream
developer to use the gem as the primary means of distribution.

rpkg replicated much of Debian's dpkg, and used similar metadata and file
formats; it also added the ability to build packages locally. I believe
it didn't quite succeed due to the more restricted stdlib available at
that time, as Gavin pointed out.

RPA doesn't require the upstream developers to do anything besides just
developing their sw., since the RPA team will package and test for them:
of course, it's easier to package a clean upstream release, which uses
setup.rb, than some code with lots of assumptions about the directory
structure, so the former will be more likely to be packaged.

rpa-base could be considered "rpkg's successor" in the sense that it is
driven by the same principles, and draws from the same sources.  However,
I wouldn't say that RubyGems is raainstall's successor because they work
very differently: whereas raainstall used the normal setup.rb/install.rb
included in the sources, and hence installed into $prefix, RubyGems
discards setup.rb/install.rb and aims to replace it.  Finally, RubyGems
installs into the "gemdir" and a mechanism is being devised to get rid of
the library stubs in $prefix -- but total transparency is hard to achieve.

-- 
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com



0
batsman.geo (482)
8/28/2004 6:50:05 PM
[snip]
> There are noticeable differences between the systems you mention.
> To begin with, RPA is the Ruby Production Archive, a broad project, and
> not only a package manager, which is AFAIK unprecedented in ruby-land
> (not that it matters anyway). The port/package manager I developed for
> RPA is rpa-base (really need a better name it seems).

how about rpainstall or rpaget ?
that would keep the raainstall tradition and would make more clear the 
difference between the client application and the wider project.
(I tend to avoid hyphens and underscores as much as I can for
command names, but then that's only me)

cheers,


0
8/28/2004 7:15:30 PM
On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:15:30AM +0900, vruz wrote:
> [snip]
> > There are noticeable differences between the systems you mention.
> > To begin with, RPA is the Ruby Production Archive, a broad project, and
> > not only a package manager, which is AFAIK unprecedented in ruby-land
> > (not that it matters anyway). The port/package manager I developed for
> > RPA is rpa-base (really need a better name it seems).
> 
> how about rpainstall or rpaget ?
> that would keep the raainstall tradition and would make more clear the 
> difference between the client application and the wider project.
> (I tend to avoid hyphens and underscores as much as I can for
> command names, but then that's only me)

I was thinking of just doing s/rpa-base/rpapkg/.
The command line tool would probably remain as rpa because short == sexy :)
It is my understanding that the confusion between RPA and its port/package
manager is inherent, so an eventual renaming would not really change the
situation :-/

What do you think? Should the command line tool be renamed too?
rpaget/rpainstall wouldn't do because rpa can also perform queries, update
the port/package info, and in the future configure installed software...

-- 
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com



0
batsman.geo (482)
8/28/2004 7:57:32 PM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

blocking auto-install
For some reason, today my browsers are insisting on installing the defective JRE 1.7.0_21. I want to stick with 1.7.0_17 which works. I have autoupdate turned off. Why would it suddenly kick in today? There is no new version after 1.7.0_21 -- Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products http://mindprod.com Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand. ~ George Eliot (born: 1819-11-22 died: 1880-12-22 at age: 61) (Mary Ann Evans) "Roedy Green" wrote in message news:obb9p8h9eb7klb2msa5had5h1dfs936666@4ax.com... > For some reason, today my browsers are insisting on instal...

i have aproblem when installing matlab 2010
this massage is appear when installing matlab # # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment: # # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000000006d99470c, pid=6904, tid=6464 # # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (11.2-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64) # Problematic frame: # V [jvm.dll+0x1a470c] # # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit: # http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp # --------------- T H R E A D --------------- Current thread (0x000000000035d400): JavaThread "main" [_thread_in_vm...

Wine and html rendeI have installed wine 0.9.60ring
I have installe wine 0.9.60. IE doesn't seem to run as gecko html rendering isn't installed. There is an attempt to install which fails. As I have a very good newsreader, MesNews, which only runs in Windows, I tried in wine and I get the message 'HTML rendering is currently disabled' Probably due to the above. Did anyone succeed to install the gecko html rendering? If yes how? -- [URL=http://users.kbc.skynet.be/fi001005] *Belgische Ardennen - Ardennes Belge [/URL] ...

Installation with a Install Server with Solaris9
Hi, I have a 1 Netra with a D1000 (this will use as a Install Server), and a lot of E4500 with D1000 as a Install Clint. The Clints have a diverent installaltion ( Core, full installation ). The 3 Hartdisks in the D1000 will run as a Mirror, and i need 7 slices. My Problem is: I need a InstallServer Scipt that do this automaticly. Thanks joe ...

Problem report Dolphin 6.1beta2 installation
Hi... because of it's irritating behaviour I would like to report to you my 6.1beta2 upgrade experience. A couple of days ago I started to finally move from Dolphin 6.02a to 6.1beta2 (on Vista Ultimate SP1 German inside VMWare Fusion 2.04). For going back and forth betwenn versions I installed the 6.1beta2 in addition to the existing 6.02a (Andy: yes, the images were correctly resolved to their VM versions). I had some issues (found my STS repository was damaged, ProductProduction needed some changes, most of my patches were no longer necessary :-)) but was able to r...

installation
I am quite a newbie. I've installed Solaris 10, which is quite old. I think it is one of the 2005 versions. I now want to install 05/08 which I believe is the latest. My question is, what is the best way to install the new version. Should I delete the old one and install the new one, or is it possible to upgrade on top of the old one? Thank you. PS: A couple of years ago I was complaning about the difficulty of getting online with Solaris. I'm now online with DHCP. Orhan Kurmus wrote: > I am quite a newbie. I've installed Solaris 10, which is quite old. I > think it is on...

FLIST Installation and Setup
I've just downloaded the FLIST.OBJ to my OpenVMS 7.3 system. I'm not sure what to do next in order to get it running/useable. I can't find any READMEs or INSTALL notes through Google. Anyone have any suggestions ? Chuck Chuck Moore wrote: > I've just downloaded the FLIST.OBJ to my OpenVMS 7.3 system. I'm not > sure what to do next in order to get it running/useable. I can't find > any READMEs or INSTALL notes through Google. Anyone have any > suggestions ? > > Chuck The first thing you need to do is to link it with the LINK command, q.v. Since I h...

creating an installer that will install a certificate
Hello everybody. First off - i am NOT a programmer. That being said,I need to create an installer for a program AND to have the ability to install a certificate along with it. Is that possible? At the moment i have everything in a batch file, and it installs just fine. It's the certificate installation I have no idea how to perform. It's a certificate from my Microsoft Certificate Authority server. Any ideas? ...

Fedora 4 Dvd install problem
Hi All, My system: Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, dvd burner drive E: - cd burner drive f: When I start the install, I put dvd in my dvd drive and boot computer. After I start installing Fedora, about the 4 or 5th screen, it asks me where the media is, giving me the following options: cdrom drive, hard drive, ntfs, ftp or http. I chose cdrom drive and it looks for the media in my cdrom drive and not my dvd drive. Any ideas why it does not give my dvd drive as an option? It must be seeing the drive as it boots from it. Thanks, Butch Hey I found the problem - I had only about half of the...

Installing Nvidia Drivers for 8600gt in Mepis 64-bit
Hello, all. I made a post in comp.os.linux.help asking for help and then read in that same newsgroup "This group (`comp.os.linux.help') is not widely used, having been replaced by comp.os.linux.misc in December 1994." So I am here replicating most of that post. Do not mean to cross-post. Just trying to get it to a better place. This group ("comp.os.linux.help") is not widely used, having been replaced by comp.os.linux.misc in December 1994. I need some help getting the official NVIDIA driver installed for my GeForce 8600gt. I have tried what feels like every...

Installing a UNIX application on PC
Hi, Can someone tell me how I can run a small UNIX executable file on the PC? I keep on getting the standard Windows error message (This application has encountered a problem and needs to close...Please tell Microsoft about this problem.....). I am running Windows XP Professional, and I just installed .NET version 2.0. Thanks for any help you can provide. Fabien On 2007-05-26, Fabien <fabien.vais@videotron.ca> wrote: > > Can someone tell me how I can run a small UNIX executable file on the > PC? I keep on getting the standard Windows error message (This > application ha...

What to make of 'make test' for python3 install from source (beaglebone angstrom install).
After hints here and there from different channels, and a pretty good = StackOverflow post on the subject, I've concluded that "out of the box", = the install from source utilities don't really provide many hooks for = making a "custom/minimal" install. Best bet is basically to do the = standard install, and then go trim off the fat that wasn't called for. = If not that, you really have to take ownership of the whole build = process (e.g. as Debian and others do). Thanks to Ned and others for = helping along the way. One part of the recommended install...

Installing pgbench
Hi Everybody, I am having problems while installing pgbench program. I followed the below procedure to install according to the docs: (1) Configure and build the standard Postgres distribution. You can get away with just running configure at the top level and doing "make all" in src/interfaces/libpq. (2) Run make in this directory. You will see an executable file "pgbench". You can run it here, or install it with the standard Postgres programs by doing "make install". After running ./configure at the postg...

Can't get PHP to work with recently installed Apache
Hi! I have the Abyss webserver installed on my Windows 2000 workstation, and it works OK with PHP (v4.3.7). Since I also have a Linux server at an other location, I wanted to have similiar web server setup at home, so I tried to install Apache webserver for Win32 (v1.3.33), but can't get it to work with PHP. My PHP.INI has the, ; Enable the PHP scripting language engine under Apache. engine = On There's nothing about PHP inside the httpd.conf file. Have I missed something here? I would appreciate any comments on this. TIA On 19 Dec 2004, spaceuser@yahoo.com (Lars Gustavsson) wrote...

installing lsp
hi guys. i'm gonna write a LSP to run under winsock api. first, i built the example lsp code of platform sdk with vc++6. but when i install the lsp and run a application that uses winsock api, winsock api always returns error 10106(WSAPROVIDERFAILEDINIT). it seems that lsp can't load dlls. i located lsp dll file in %SYSTEM_ROOT%\system32, and the same folder that lsp installer executable has, it fails either. what can i do? thanks. If you in the NT/W9x you have to set in system32 sporder.dll and do reboot. Arkady "Intaek LIM" <litnsio2@nownuri.net> wrot...

Compiler Installation
I recently acquired an O2, which came with a set of IRIX 6.3 CDs, including IDO 7.0.1 and Varsity Developer Package Update, as well as a set of 6.5.17 CDs (overlays,found 1,2,apps) + 6.5 IDF/IDL cds. The machine had 6.5.17 and compilers 7.2.1 installed on it, but it was so slow - like 10secs to open a shell. Liberal use of chkconfig off helped speed things up quite a bit, but with a 2GB drive 95% full, I thought a space upgrade was in order. So I replaced the 2GB with an 18, installed the same 6.5.17m off of CDs, and wow, fast! But now no compiler. I looked into installing the IDF/IDL, whi...

announce grub-driven net install RFE
It used to be, in solaris 10, that it was possible to write a custom grub menu entry, to boot off the network and do a net install. Kinda-sorta the equivalent of sparc's "setenv network-boot-arguments". Sadly, it does not seem possible to do this any more. If you'd like to see them fix what they broke, and you have a support contract, please link the following RFE to your support contract: RFE 7179625 : Solaris 11 can not do direct install without using PXE or DHCP. This worked in Solaris 10. ...

SAS 9.1.2 Installation question
Hi everyone: I just received our SAS 9.1.2 version, and I like to install it in my P.C (stand alone; Windows 2000 professional) which already has SAS 8.2 installed in it. I recall reading at least a couple of posting in SAS-L stating that SAS 9 was installed alongside SAS 8 in the same P.C. In other words, both versions reside simultaneously in the same P.C. I would like to do the same thing so that I can test the SAS 9 with some of my SAS 8 programs and datasets. Are there any hidden dangers or pitfalls in doing this that I should be aware of and guard myself against? My thinking at thi...

OT :- Can't install Photoshop CS 8
I'm trying to install Photoshop 8 onto a new computer (Windows XP sp2) and get the following error message:- Set-up has experienced an error. Please do the following:- -close any running programs -empty your temporary folder -check your Internet connection Then run Set-up again. Error code -6003 To overcome the problem I opened the Task manager and closed all running programs. Used disc clean-up to empty my temporary folder. I have nothing wrong with my Internet connection but am using the windows firewall. Any help would be very much appreciated. ----oooOOOooo---- Adriaan B...

Installing Boost
I haven't yet used Boost, but I'm contemplating doing so. Where would I install it, given that I do all my programming in c:\cpp ? TIA On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:08:58 -0700, mrc2323@cox.net (Mike Copeland) wrote: > I haven't yet used Boost, but I'm contemplating doing so. Where >would I install it, given that I do all my programming in c:\cpp ? TIA Assuming that means some kind of Windows platform ... http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/more/getting_started/windows.html or UNIX flavor ... http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/more/getting_started/unix-varian...

Installing FLASH player,
Hello this is weird, but I figure someone here has done this. I tried to install Adobe Flash Player. It seemed to install, but it created a bunch of files with extensions that SAS read as SAS files, and thus Flash failed to work. These extensions include .xpt and .log I am using Windows XP professional TIA Peter ...

Installing installer
Hi, I generated My Installer from LV 8.2 under Windows XP environment. When I try to install it on another PC with Win 2000, it gave me an error message saying the PC doesn't meet minimum operating system requirement. Does it mean that I have Windows incompatable issue ? What is my option here ? Please advise. Thanks &nbsp; When building an installer under the advanced section there is a set of radio buttons. make sure it is not set to windows XP or greater. &nbsp; &nbsp; <img src="http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/213599/1/advancedinst.JPG"> Message Edi...

Installing ghostscript on Mac OS X without C compiler
I need to install the "unix" version of ghostscript on Mac OS X. I can't build it from source because I don't have a C compiler. Plus, I couldn't find any executables on the web. Does anyone know where I can get the executables? Also, is it a bad idea to use executables not built on my machine? Thanks. wcramer <wcramer@fit.edu> wrote: > I need to install the "unix" version of ghostscript on Mac OS X. I > can't build it from source because I don't have a C compiler. Plus, I > couldn't find any executables on the web. > > Do...

New motherboard ... New install ?
Hi, I have a very slow (166MHz) motherboard and thought it was about time I got a faster one. The question is now, can I just replace the motherboard ? Will Linux reconfigure my current installation without destroying it? .... or should I put a fresh Linux install and start all over again ? Note, I have a dual boot configuration with Win98. Can Windows handle this too ? Rolf HTH, Thanks for your "tainted" answer. I am not "in" kernel building. I am using RH9 and I am very happy with it. I keep W98 alive for praktical purposes (taxes and stuf that are only written for...

installing wxGTK to a directory using DESTDIR
I would like to use the DESTDIR variable in the install step to install to a directory I can use to capture everything as a binary package, like this: ../configure --prefix=/usr make make DESTDIR=/usr/drive2/build/install install I notice that the wxGTK build system doesn't seem to support the DESTDIR variable. Does anyone know of another way to do this? Chris Marshall christopherlmarshall@yahoo.com wrote: > I would like to use the DESTDIR variable in the install step to install > to a directory I can use to capture everything as a binary package, > like this...