Install to bin dir?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been
done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then
reinvent the wheel.

I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing
for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin
files during installation?

--
T.

0
Reply transami (959) 8/27/2004 9:33:31 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 06:33:31 +0900, T. Onoma <transami@runbox.com> wrote:
> I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been
> done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then
> reinvent the wheel.
>
> I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing
> for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin
> files during installation?

Quite easy with RubyGems:
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?CreateAGemInTenMinutes
(specifically look at bindir and executables in the gem spec).

Alternatively, look in RubyGems' install.rb for the part that creates
binary stubs to see how we determine the bin directory.

Chad

0
Reply chadfowler1 (309) 8/27/2004 9:38:22 PM

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 06:33:31AM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been
> done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then
> reinvent the wheel.
>
> I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing
> for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin
> files during installation?

require 'rbconfig'
require 'ftools'
destdir = Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
# ...
exec_files.each do |f|
	File.install f, File.join(destdir, File.basename(f)), 0755
end

If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

0
Reply batsman.geo (482) 8/27/2004 10:09:14 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, T. Onoma wrote:

> I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its been
> done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask rather then
> reinvent the wheel.
>
> I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does nothing
> for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where to put bin
> files during installation?

a modified install.rb:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'rbconfig'
require 'find'
require 'ftools'
include Config

LIBDIR      = "lib"
LIBDIR_MODE = 0644

BINDIR      = "bin"
BINDIR_MODE = 0755

$srcdir      = CONFIG["srcdir"]
$version     = CONFIG["MAJOR"]+"."+CONFIG["MINOR"]
$libdir      = File.join(CONFIG["libdir"], "ruby", $version)
$archdir     = File.join($libdir, CONFIG["arch"])
$site_libdir = $:.find {|x| x =~ /site_ruby$/}
$bindir      = CONFIG["bindir"]

if !$site_libdir
   $site_libdir = File.join($libdir, "site_ruby")
elsif $site_libdir !~ %r/#{Regexp.quote($version)}/
   $site_libdir = File.join($site_libdir, $version)
end

def install_rb(srcdir=nil, destdir=nil, mode=nil)
   path   = []
   dir    = []
   Find.find(srcdir) do |f|
     next unless FileTest.file?(f)
     next if (f = f[srcdir.length+1..-1]) == nil
     next if (/CVS$/ =~ File.dirname(f))
     path.push f
     dir |= [File.dirname(f)]
   end
   for f in dir
     next if f == "."
     next if f == "CVS"
     File::makedirs(File.join(destdir, f))
   end
   for f in path
     next if (/\~$/ =~ f)
     next if (/^\./ =~ File.basename(f))
     File::install(File.join(srcdir, f), File.join(destdir, f), mode, true)
   end
end

def ARGV.switch
   return nil if self.empty?
   arg = self.shift
   return nil if arg == '--'
   if arg =~ /^-(.)(.*)/
     return arg if $1 == '-'
     raise 'unknown switch "-"' if $2.index('-')
     self.unshift "-#{$2}" if $2.size > 0
     "-#{$1}"
   else
     self.unshift arg
     nil
   end
end

def ARGV.req_arg
   self.shift || raise('missing argument')
end

# main program
libdir = $site_libdir
bindir = $bindir

begin
   while switch = ARGV.switch
     case switch
     when '-d', '--destdir'
       libdir = ARGV.req_arg
     when '-l', '--libdir'
       libdir = ARGV.req_arg
     when '-b', '--bindir'
       bindir = ARGV.req_arg
     else
       raise "unknown switch #{switch.dump}"
     end
   end
rescue
   STDERR.puts $!.to_s
   STDERR.puts File.basename($0) +
     " -d <destdir>" +
     " -l <libdir>" +
     " -b <bindir>"
   exit 1
end

install_rb(LIBDIR, libdir, LIBDIR_MODE)
install_rb(BINDIR, bindir, BINDIR_MODE)

cheers.

-a
| PHONE   :: 303.497.6469
|   --Dogen
Reply Ara.T.Howard2 (2805) 8/27/2004 10:35:40 PM

On Friday 27 August 2004 05:38 pm, Chad Fowler wrote:
> Quite easy with RubyGems:
> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?CreateAGemInTenMinutes
> (specifically look at bindir and executables in the gem spec).

No doubt! And I have a setup for that. While it's tempting to take a Gem only
route, I'm thinking it a good idea to hang on to a manual install too. Is
that a good idea? I would like to here the pros and cons of that!

> Alternatively, look in RubyGems' install.rb for the part that creates
> binary stubs to see how we determine the bin directory.

Thanks, Chad. I've taken a look at the gems install.rb. I grok most of it but
what's this about?

    if is_windows_platform
      File.open(target+".cmd", "w") do |file|
        file.puts "@ruby #{target} %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"
      end
    end

T.

0
Reply transami (959) 8/27/2004 10:42:30 PM

On Friday 27 August 2004 06:09 pm, Mauricio Fern�ndez wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 06:33:31AM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> > I know there's probably a ready made solution for this. And I know its
> > been done ten thousand times before. That's exactly why I'll just ask
> > rather then reinvent the wheel.
> >
> > I have an install.rb script which works fine for lib files, but does
> > nothing for bin files. Anyone have a good code snip for determining where
> > to put bin files during installation?
>
> require 'rbconfig'
> require 'ftools'
> destdir = Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
> # ...
> exec_files.each do |f|
> 	File.install f, File.join(destdir, File.basename(f)), 0755
> end
>

> If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
> I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
> do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).

Now you tell me! ;)

--
T.

0
Reply transami (959) 8/27/2004 10:45:42 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:42:30 +0900, T. Onoma <transami@runbox.com> wrote:
> On Friday 27 August 2004 05:38 pm, Chad Fowler wrote:
> > Quite easy with RubyGems:
> > http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?CreateAGemInTenMinutes
> > (specifically look at bindir and executables in the gem spec).
>
> No doubt! And I have a setup for that. While it's tempting to take a Gem only
> route, I'm thinking it a good idea to hang on to a manual install too. Is
> that a good idea? I would like to here the pros and cons of that!

Doing both is definitely a good plan for now.  But, of course, make
sure your users know which one you prefer (hint hint) :)

> > Alternatively, look in RubyGems' install.rb for the part that creates
> > binary stubs to see how we determine the bin directory.
>
> Thanks, Chad. I've taken a look at the gems install.rb. I grok most of it but
> what's this about?
>
>     if is_windows_platform
>       File.open(target+".cmd", "w") do |file|
>         file.puts "@ruby #{target} %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"
>       end
>     end

This is a hack to create 'shell scripts' for Windows users.  It's what
makes, for example, "rake blah" work from the command line in Windows.

It's obviously a little brittle as is.  Any ideas for improvement from
Windows experts would be welcome.

Thanks,
Chad

0
Reply chadfowler1 (309) 8/27/2004 10:53:42 PM

On Friday 27 August 2004 06:45 pm, Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> a modified install.rb:
>
> [snip]

Pretty nice example!

T.

P.S. Thank you, everyone, for all your help!

0
Reply transami (959) 8/28/2004 2:12:51 AM

On Friday 27 August 2004 06:09 pm, Mauricio Fern�ndez wrote:
> require 'rbconfig'
> require 'ftools'
> destdir = Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
> # ...
> exec_files.each do |f|
> 	File.install f, File.join(destdir, File.basename(f)), 0755
> end

Hmm...

  Config::CONFIG["destdir"]

and not?

  Config::CONFIG['bindir']

> If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
> I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
> do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).

Is setup.rb considered the "premier" way to do it? Looks like it handles
compiling for .so too. Is that right? I wonder if it would be worth turning
setup.rb into a rake extension? (And how hard it would be?).

T.

0
Reply transami (959) 8/28/2004 3:04:44 AM

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 12:04:44PM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> Hmm...
>
>   Config::CONFIG["destdir"]
>
> and not?
>
>   Config::CONFIG['bindir']

Oops, clearly CONFIG["bindir"] -- in fact that was my rather laconic
initial draft ("require 'rbconfig'; bindir = Config::CONFIG['bindir']"),
but I introduced the braino when writing the code above :P

> > If you're following the 'standard' source layout (lib/, bin/, etc),
> > I suggest you use setup.rb from Aoki Minero: that way all you have to
> > do is copy setup.rb into your source dir, period (in most cases at least).
>
> Is setup.rb considered the "premier" way to do it? Looks like it handles
> compiling for .so too. Is that right? I wonder if it would be worth turning
> setup.rb into a rake extension? (And how hard it would be?).

IMHO it's still the most comfortable/best general way to create installers
(not "packages") for Ruby libs/apps; it is also repackager-friendly and
promotes good development practices regarding source code structure.
It handles extensions, data dirs... without any problem. Ruby-land would
be a better place if everybody used setup.rb instead of custom installers.

I would have preferred RubyGems to work as a metadata/dependency layer
on top of setup.rb.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'rake extension': if you
really want to do  rake install, just copying setup.rb into your source
dir and something like

task :install do
  require 'rbconfig'
  ruby = File.join(Config::CONFIG["bindir"],
                   Config::CONFIG['ruby_install_name']) + Config::CONFIG['EXEEXT']
  #FIXME: possible win32 issue with / vs \
  system "#{ruby} setup.rb"
end

would do.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

0
Reply batsman.geo (482) 8/28/2004 9:26:33 AM

Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg.
Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital
letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better
systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?

On Saturday 28 August 2004 05:26 am, Mauricio Fern�ndez wrote:
> IMHO it's still the most comfortable/best general way to create installers
> (not "packages") for Ruby libs/apps; it is also repackager-friendly and
> promotes good development practices regarding source code structure.
> It handles extensions, data dirs... without any problem. Ruby-land would
> be a better place if everybody used setup.rb instead of custom installers.

Curious. I've looked it over some. It looks pretty complete (much larger then
install.rb, that's for sure). But, if it is as good as you suggest (and, mind
you, I do not doubt you are quite correct), I wonder why it has never been
bundled with Ruby? Then I think, maybe it would be except it doesn't lend
itself to being used as a library (i.e. you have to copy and paste it into
your directory.) That may well be the case. Thankfully, it is now potentially
correctable with Rake.

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'rake extension': if you
> really want to do  rake install, just copying setup.rb into your source
> dir and something like
>
> task :install do
>   require 'rbconfig'
>   ruby = File.join(Config::CONFIG["bindir"],
>                    Config::CONFIG['ruby_install_name']) +
> Config::CONFIG['EXEEXT'] #FIXME: possible win32 issue with / vs \
>   system "#{ruby} setup.rb"
> end

Well, that's a start. But what i sneeded is being able to use setup.rb as an
API, so that we could put in a Rakefile:

  Rake::SetupTask.new { |st|
    st.verbose = true
    # and other options for setup
  }

Then one could do:

  rake setup config
  rake setup setup
  rake setup install

See how this turns setup into a reusable component? Now you might think:
"What's the big deal? Just Copy setup.rb." But what if the Gem people said
the same thing and the RDoc people, and that Rubyforge publisher script, and
the ... so forth and so on.  My program's directory could soon have more
support scripts in it then actual scripts of its own. That's why it's really
nice to encapsulate these things via Rake.

--
T.

0
Reply transami (959) 8/28/2004 12:03:22 PM

On Saturday, August 28, 2004, 10:03:22 PM, T. wrote:

> Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg.
> Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital
> letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better
> systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?

Ruby-land has gained a very powerful standard library, thus boosting
the power of software that can be assumed to run on a person's system.
You may notice neither of the capital-letter package managers run on
Ruby 1.6.

Another factor, I imagine, is the increasing amount of software
entreating installation, and the consequent thirst for easier ways of
doing it.

Gavin

0
Reply gsinclair1 (862) 8/28/2004 12:59:32 PM

On Saturday 28 August 2004 08:03 am, T. Onoma wrote:
> Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg.
> Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital
> letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better
> systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?

That may have come across a bit negative. That wasn't my intent. (Hey, I love
RubyGems!) I was really just noting the parallel progression (raainstall ->
RubyGems, rpkg -> RPA), and sincerely asking what have been the notable
improvements over the previous systems.

Thanks,
T.

0
Reply transami (959) 8/28/2004 3:52:22 PM

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:52:22AM +0900, T. Onoma wrote:
> On Saturday 28 August 2004 08:03 am, T. Onoma wrote:
> > Funny, two years ago the big names on the block were raainstall and rpkg.
> > Remember those? Now we have RubyGems and RPA. Did we just long for capital
> > letters in our packaging systems' titles, or have we really gained better

rpa-base has no capital letters ;)

> > systems? :) All kidding aside, has ruby-land improved?
>
> That may have come across a bit negative. That wasn't my intent. (Hey, I love
> RubyGems!) I was really just noting the parallel progression (raainstall ->
> RubyGems, rpkg -> RPA), and sincerely asking what have been the notable
> improvements over the previous systems.

There are noticeable differences between the systems you mention.
To begin with, RPA is the Ruby Production Archive, a broad project, and
not only a package manager, which is AFAIK unprecedented in ruby-land
(not that it matters anyway). The port/package manager I developed for
RPA is rpa-base (really need a better name it seems).

Now, raainstall was built as a layer on top of RAA, and leveraged the
setup.rb/install.rb from the upstream sources. It could have worked
if setup.rb was used by everybody AND they had normalized the metadata
(the one in RAA is very heterogeneous).

RubyGems aims to become the Ruby standard for publishing and managing
third party libraries. It basically discards the original installers
(custom install.rb scripts or Aoki's setup.rb) and asks the upstream
developer to use the gem as the primary means of distribution.

rpkg replicated much of Debian's dpkg, and used similar metadata and file
formats; it also added the ability to build packages locally. I believe
it didn't quite succeed due to the more restricted stdlib available at
that time, as Gavin pointed out.

RPA doesn't require the upstream developers to do anything besides just
developing their sw., since the RPA team will package and test for them:
of course, it's easier to package a clean upstream release, which uses
setup.rb, than some code with lots of assumptions about the directory
structure, so the former will be more likely to be packaged.

rpa-base could be considered "rpkg's successor" in the sense that it is
driven by the same principles, and draws from the same sources.  However,
I wouldn't say that RubyGems is raainstall's successor because they work
very differently: whereas raainstall used the normal setup.rb/install.rb
included in the sources, and hence installed into $prefix, RubyGems
discards setup.rb/install.rb and aims to replace it.  Finally, RubyGems
installs into the "gemdir" and a mechanism is being devised to get rid of
the library stubs in $prefix -- but total transparency is hard to achieve.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

0
Reply batsman.geo (482) 8/28/2004 6:50:05 PM

[snip]
> There are noticeable differences between the systems you mention.
> To begin with, RPA is the Ruby Production Archive, a broad project, and
> not only a package manager, which is AFAIK unprecedented in ruby-land
> (not that it matters anyway). The port/package manager I developed for
> RPA is rpa-base (really need a better name it seems).

how about rpainstall or rpaget ?
that would keep the raainstall tradition and would make more clear the
difference between the client application and the wider project.
(I tend to avoid hyphens and underscores as much as I can for
command names, but then that's only me)

cheers,

0
Reply horacio.lopez (162) 8/28/2004 7:15:30 PM

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:15:30AM +0900, vruz wrote:
> [snip]
> > There are noticeable differences between the systems you mention.
> > To begin with, RPA is the Ruby Production Archive, a broad project, and
> > not only a package manager, which is AFAIK unprecedented in ruby-land
> > (not that it matters anyway). The port/package manager I developed for
> > RPA is rpa-base (really need a better name it seems).
>
> how about rpainstall or rpaget ?
> that would keep the raainstall tradition and would make more clear the
> difference between the client application and the wider project.
> (I tend to avoid hyphens and underscores as much as I can for
> command names, but then that's only me)

I was thinking of just doing s/rpa-base/rpapkg/.
The command line tool would probably remain as rpa because short == sexy :)
It is my understanding that the confusion between RPA and its port/package
manager is inherent, so an eventual renaming would not really change the
situation :-/

What do you think? Should the command line tool be renamed too?
rpaget/rpainstall wouldn't do because rpa can also perform queries, update
the port/package info, and in the future configure installed software...

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

0
Reply batsman.geo (482) 8/28/2004 7:57:32 PM
comp.lang.ruby 48846 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[ciao-users] make CIAO installs binaries to /bin instead of $ACE_ROOT/bin OR $CIAO_ROOT/bin ?
Hi, While building ACE+TAO+CIAO-5.7 I noticed that CIAO is trying to install some binaries to 'root' bin. I have to run make with 'root' previllages inorder to get rid of the following errors. Is it necessary to install CIAO/DAnCE bineries to 'root' bin? OR Is it a bug in the make file? Installing dance_execution_manager -> /bin ln -s /home/sreejith/Embedded/aurora/atc-5.7/a_wrappers/TAO/CIAO/DAnCE/ExecutionManager//dance_execution_manager /bin/dance_execution_manager ln: creating symbolic link `/bin/dance_execution_manager': Permission denied I...

[ace-users] install: Some of the ace header files not installed in <install-dir>/include/ace directory
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --Boundary_(ID_2cef5tuipXyipL71d5pqrg) Content-type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT Summary: Some of the ace header files not installed in <install-dir>/include/ace directory following the make install step. Anybody else seen this issue? Here is the relevant information. ACE VERSION: 5.6.5 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux 2.6.10 THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU platform_linux.GNU AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: ...

64-bin JVM install problem (with install.sfx error)
Hi, I'm having difficulties installing the 64-bit JVM (JDK, really) on a 64-bit Xeon box. I'm using the self-extracting .bin file as usual, but the install fails with this error: # chmod +x jdk-6-linux-amd64.bin # ./jdk-6-linux-amd64.bin .... Unpacking... Checksumming... Extracting... ../jdk-6-linux-amd64.bin: line 342: ./install.sfx.12201: cannot execute binary file Failed to extract the files. Please refer to the Troubleshooting section of the Installation Instructions on the download page for more information. Installing a 32-bit JVM on the same machine, same directory, same eve...

tetex-bin install
Hi All, I'd like to upgrade tetex on debian/sid linux, but I've got this messages: Setting up tetex-bin (2.0.2-21) ... Regenerating /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf ... done An essential entry in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf is wrong. Fixing Regenerating /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf ... done Regenerating /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg ... done Running initex. This may take some time. ... fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found. dpkg: error processing tetex-bin (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 30 Errors were encountered while processing: te...

how install to usr/bin?
I know how to open the Terminal application. That's it. How do I install a command in usr/bin or in /etc. ? Or where should I go to learn? Thanks. In article <do-3A3562.15122408112004@news.giganews.com>, HC <do@not.have> wrote: > I know how to open the Terminal application. That's it. How do I > install a command in usr/bin or in /etc. ? > > Or where should I go to learn? Depending on where this new command is, you probably want to use either "mv" or "cp". But if you didn't even know that, you need to learn a bit about...

cyrus imap install dirs
Anyone know if cyrus-imap will install under --prefix from ./configure? It seems to ignore that and put stuff in a mix of /usr/cyrus *and* --prefix. Thanks bl8n8r ...

cgi-bin dir prmissions
hi all, on a system I recently was asked to administer, the following was seen : drwxr-xrwx 7 root root 4.0K Oct 9 19:16 cgi-bin/ drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4.0K Aug 25 22:53 htdig/ drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4.0K Sep 13 16:09 htdocs/ note the cgi-bin permissions. under htdocs there is the rootdir of the pages displayed. I have been told that this rwx was necessary to be able to have awstats's webpage update function to work. I checked the docs and that indeed says that you need rwx access. however, is this secure ? I tend not t...

How do I install a .bin file on a Hp 48GX
How do I install a .bin file (a dump of a Hp 48 card) onto a new card as a .lib file so that I can use it on my Hp 48GX? Thanks! If you had a program to dump the card's content, maybe there also is a suitable counterpart, or undump;-) www.hpcalc.org could be of help. HTH Raymond "mike boersma" <mike.boersma@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:06ed6096-aab2-4a8b-9ac6-906f19e1fc63@c4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > How do I install a .bin file (a dump of a Hp 48 card) onto a new card > as a .lib file so that I can use it on my Hp 48GX? > > Thanks! If y...

install.rb (modified for bin programs)
i am sorry i do not know the orginal author to credit - but this is a modified install.rb that installs anything found in ./bin into the same bin dir as ruby (or that passed as '--bindir=' from the command line). simple, but it works. file: install.rb ======== require 'rbconfig' require 'find' require 'ftools' include Config LIBDIR = "lib" LIBDIR_MODE = 0644 BINDIR = "bin" BINDIR_MODE = 0755 $srcdir = CONFIG["srcdir"] $version = CONFIG["MAJOR"]+"."+CONFIG["MINOR"] $libdir ...

Avoid installations to the Program Files dir....
I just run to some document saying: 'Avoid installations to the Program Files directory on single user installations' Any reasons for that?? Pauli Probably because the path "Program Files" has a space in the Pathname AFAIK Domino/Notes do not always work properly with spaces in the path "Pauli Sillanpaa" <pauli.sillanpaa@poista.pp.nic.fi> schreef in bericht news:cok7a0$11d9$1@news.cc.tut.fi... > I just run to some document saying: > 'Avoid installations to the Program Files directory on single user > installations' >...

Installing Sun 1 Studio from the *.bin
I have been to java.sun.com and have downloaded the JDK and S1S packages....However, they are *.bin files, and I do not know what to do with them. I have tried executing the files directly, as well as using rpm -i, gunzip, and tar -xvf, and none of them appear to recognize the files. What do I need to do to get started on this? What do you do with *.bin to make them work? ...

Install Picks Wrong Dir for Include Files
Hi, I am trying to install DBD::mysql perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBD::mysql' Compiling dbdimp.c dies because it can't resolve the header files mysql.h and errmsg.h. Under the setup it states it will use cflags (mysql_config) = -I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql which is wrong - it should be just /usr/local/mysql/include Can anyone tell me where it is picking up the extra mysql subdir for the include files? Note that it also adds the mysql subdir to the library file definition. Is there any way I can override what it thinks it should be using? Thanks, Michael. ~~~~~~~~~...

For which type of Linux distro are *.bin install packages?
For which type of Linux distro are *.bin install packages? Can I install them on all platforms (Ubuntu/Debian, CentOS/RedHat, Solaris)? How can I peek into such packages and list e.g. the contetn resp. get information about it? Peter On 2010-08-05, Peter Hanke <peter_ha@andres.net> wrote: > For which type of Linux distro are *.bin install packages? Any. > Can I install them on all platforms (Ubuntu/Debian, CentOS/RedHat, Solaris)? Type sh file.bin to install. No need to change permissions +x. > How can I peek into such packages and list e.g. the contetn resp. g...

/usr/sfw/bin/gmake
I know GNU make is installed as /usr/sfw/bin/gmake on a full install of Solaris 10. But what other installation(s) will include this? I assume the developers one will, but can't can't check without doing an installation, which is a lot of work. I've been involved with a Solaris port of SAGE http://modular.ucsd.edu/sage/ and someone is giving a talk about it. It would be useful to know what is the minimum system to have GNU make. For future reference, is there a simple way of finding what installations will result in /bin/foobar being installed? -- Dave K http://www.southm...

yum install to a non-standard bin directory
Does yum have an option that allows you to install binaries at a directory different than its default location /usr/bin/? I wanted to get the binaries of git installed to /usr/local/bin/git and *not* /usr/bin. I tried --installroot but that seems to be not designed for this job, is it? I suppose I could just move all git* files from /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin/git post a normal yum install git. But I think that is not the recomended procedure! What are my options? -- Rahul ...

installing openGL with /private/opt/local/bin
I got opengl to work in the opengl-0.32g folder using the 1.8.2 default ruby. Recently, I "removed" ruby 1.8.2 to avoid conflicts (mod-ruby did not work with it...) and now I get an error message and a reference to the /usr/lib/ruby path in the gcc in mkmf.log, instead of a reference to /private/opt/local/lib mkmf.log "gcc -o conftest -I/Users/anne/Desktop/opengl-0.32g -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/univers\ al-darwin8.0 -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -arch i386 -arch pp\ c -pipe -pipe -fno-common -I. -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Hea\ ders -I/System/Libra...

Designing Dir Structure for paths to be installed anywhere
I have a LV Application that needs specific data files defined for it to work. These are MS Excel SS and must be "hard located" in terms of the path to&nbsp;get them to read into the application after I install it.&nbsp; &nbsp; What is the best way to code the application to allow the user flexibility as to which drive/dir to install the app to so that the data file paths will still work?&nbsp; Are these MS Excel files supposed to be installed with/by the application?Perhaps the suggestions provided in <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=...

[tao-bugs] missing files in install dir
Hi, TAO VERSION: 1.3.5 ACE VERSION: 5.3.5 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: win2000 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): Borland c++Builder 5(.1) DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION? yes LINKING? no EXECUTION? OTHER SYNOPSIS: in the installation directory som files are missing for full compilation. DESCRIPTION: When building Ace and TAO with 'make -f Makefile.bor -DINSTALL_DIR=E:\ACETAO install' the following files are NOT copid from Ace_wrappers into the install direct...

[tao-users] Installing orbsvcs to $ACE_ROOT/bin
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C4FCC2.C4E86ABC Content-Type: text/plain All, I have just built TAO for first time in some while, and have a quick question I should already know the answer to: After building TAO/orbsvcs, how do I get the various executables, or symbolic links to them, into the $ACE_ROOT/bin directory? Thanks. -- Charles Brown e-mail charles.brown@sensis.com <mailto:charles.brown@sensis.com> ...

making cgi-bin dir available to other domains as an alias
Hi I have a unix VPS hosting "domain.com" and "xx.domain.com", both have their own account on the same VPS. Now, I want to make the cgi-bin dir under domain.com to be mirrored for xx.domain.com. So any changes made under domain.com's cgi-bin automatically is true for the cgi-bin under xx.domain.com as well. I think there is an alias feature that would do this, but not sure? Thanks kjhjhjhjadsasda@urbanhabit.com wrote: > Hi > > I have a unix VPS hosting "domain.com" and "xx.domain.com", both have > their own account on the same VPS. ...

Install a perl module to the main perl lib dir
Hello NG, if I install new modules with the cpan shell (windows), the modules will be installed and stored under perldir/site/lib/[MODULE] and not under perldir/lib/[MODULE] like the "base" system which was installed after compiling perl and use dmake install. But if I look at ActiveStates Layout and other diestributions, they have additional modules installed under perldir/lib/[MODULE] and _NOT_ under perldir/site/lib/[MODULE] How they are made this? And Why? Thomas On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 04:52:00 +0100, Thomas Steinbach wrote: > Hello NG, > > if I install new modules ...

Install Perl Bin on Win32 Using Mingw (GCC)
I think I have spent enough time browsing the FAQs and generally searching the internet. What's the secret to installing as described in the subject. I am using Dmake as descibed in README.win32 but cannot find the Template for a GCC installation. I have resolved a few errors but cannot get past the following: gcc -mdll -o ...\perl58.dll -Wl,--base-file -Wl,perl.base -g -L"d:\programming\p erl\5.8.0\lib\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread\CORE" -L"d:\programming\MinGW\lib" \ C:\Temp\mk00022a where "d:\programming" is my root directory. Flaming is welcom...

RE: [tao-bugs] missing files in install dir
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF form. This is a known problem (http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1669). The install should try to copy the complete directory os_include and its subdirectories. The normal copy now used doesn't work, maybe xcopy works. Also, search google for borland and install, some possible solutions are there but we haven't found a real good one. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Leeghwaterstraat 25 2811 DT Reeuwijk The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > Hi, > > TAO VERSION: 1.3.5 > ACE VERSION: 5.3.5 > > ...

ERROR: find: unknown user bin
Hi all, im getting this error while installing db2 in linux. please help me out. DBI1149E You have to be the owner of the install copy to execute this program. ERROR: find: unknown user bin ERROR: An error occurred while setting DB2 runtime path. Contact a technical service representative. On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 01:34:46 -0700 (PDT), kavin wrote: > Hi all, > im getting this error while installing db2 in linux. please help me out. > > DBI1149E You have to be the owner of the install copy to execute this program. > ERROR: find: unknown user bin > ERROR: An error occ...