Should Nokogiri replace REXML?

This is probably more suited to the ruby-core mailing list, but as I
am not following that list regularly any longer I'll bring it up here.

REXML is starting to look pretty dated. I find myself no longer using
REXML for anything and use Nokogiri instead. I suspect other
developers are doing the same. Aaron (and Mike) have done an
incredible job with Nokogiri. And so I think it's not unreasonable to
suggest that it replace REXML as a standard library.

The only downside I see that Nokogiri is not a pure Ruby library, but
depends on libxml2. But given the advantages, speed, and uptake of
Nokogiri, I would not expect that to be any sort of show-stopper.

I have always thought a good XML library was important to Ruby. I kept
libxml-ruby on life support for many years hoping someone would
eventually come along and carry on development (it was the best I
could do not being a C coder). That did happen eventutally and we can
thank Dan and Charlie for all their hard work for making libxml-ruby
an excellent library, and of course we should thank Sean who started
the project.

But Aaron came along and upped the ante with Nokogiri.

So any way. I've had this thought in the back of my mind for a while,
and just wanted to put it out there.

0
Intransition
1/21/2010 4:32:09 PM
comp.lang.ruby 48865 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
532 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 55

Wouldn't that make it really hard for the non C-based Ruby implementations?

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Intransition <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is probably more suited to the ruby-core mailing list, but as I
> am not following that list regularly any longer I'll bring it up here.
>
> REXML is starting to look pretty dated. I find myself no longer using
> REXML for anything and use Nokogiri instead. I suspect other
> developers are doing the same. Aaron (and Mike) have done an
> incredible job with Nokogiri. And so I think it's not unreasonable to
> suggest that it replace REXML as a standard library.
>
> The only downside I see that Nokogiri is not a pure Ruby library, but
> depends on libxml2. But given the advantages, speed, and uptake of
> Nokogiri, I would not expect that to be any sort of show-stopper.
>
> I have always thought a good XML library was important to Ruby. I kept
> libxml-ruby on life support for many years hoping someone would
> eventually come along and carry on development (it was the best I
> could do not being a C coder). That did happen eventutally and we can
> thank Dan and Charlie for all their hard work for making libxml-ruby
> an excellent library, and of course we should thank Sean who started
> the project.
>
> But Aaron came along and upped the ante with Nokogiri.
>
> So any way. I've had this thought in the back of my mind for a while,
> and just wanted to put it out there.
>
>

0
Jordi
1/21/2010 7:17:01 PM
On Jan 21, 4:17=A0pm, Jordi Bunster <jo...@bunster.org> wrote:
> Wouldn't that make it really hard for the non C-based Ruby implementation=
s?

Well, Nokogiri was ported to JRuby using FFI. Which means can work on
MacRuby and MagLev possibly.

http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/java

Dunno it's status but seems pretty doable.

--
Luis Lavena
0
Luis
1/21/2010 8:29:38 PM
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Jordi Bunster <jordi@bunster.org> wrote:
> Wouldn't that make it really hard for the non C-based Ruby implementations?

Yes, it would. But if someone wants to help implement the remaining
bits of the pure-Java Nokogiri, we'll be pretty close in JRuby.

http://www.serabe.com/2009/12/31/helping-nokogiri-take-ii/

Unfortunately libxml encompasses a *lot* of functionality not
typically included in the many Java XML parser (like bad HTML
scrubbing), so including all of Nokogiri would introduce a lot of
dependencies. Ideally I'd like to see a Nokogiri "lite" that just
provides the W3C APIs for DOM, SAX, and pull parsing, and allows you
to pull in "Nokogiri HTML" or some other library for doing HTML
scrubbing.

- Charlie

0
Charles
1/21/2010 8:35:11 PM
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 4:17=C2=A0pm, Jordi Bunster <jo...@bunster.org> wrote:
>> Wouldn't that make it really hard for the non C-based Ruby implementatio=
ns?
>
> Well, Nokogiri was ported to JRuby using FFI. Which means can work on
> MacRuby and MagLev possibly.
>
> http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/java
>
> Dunno it's status but seems pretty doable.

FFI is great, but it's only usable where you have libxml available (a
problem for the C ext as well) and where you are allowed to use it (a
big problem for JRuby users on Google App Engine, Android, or secure
environments where native libraries are forbidden).

The only perfect solution for JRuby is a pure-Java Nokogiri.

- Charlie

0
Charles
1/21/2010 8:43:35 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

the power of Ruby and #ruby-lang
Two days ago, I mentioned I'd like to be able to read .dbf files. Yesterday, I mentioned it again. One of the replies I got was essentially "it's easier than you think, just build it. here's a link to the specs. I've written an xBase interface before, and I'll help you if you get stuck." That said, I looked. 24 hrs later, I now have a tool that will open and read .dbf files - including memos. It can't write them yet, but I've spec'd that out, and have the basics done (and tested). When I started this, I knew nothing about the xBase file specs, ...

ruby-talk-ctl@ruby-lang.org
unsubscribe =2D-=20 I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> RTFM! Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote: > unsubscribe I think it was just a copy and paste error, nothing to shout about... Regards Florian Am 19.11.2009 um 16:18 schrieb Marc Dominik Migge: > RTFM! > > I=F1aki Baz Castillo wrote: >> unsubscribe > > ...

ruby-fr@ruby-lang.org is dead
--8323328-1486752244-1168650490=:11417 Content-Type: MULTIPART/MIXED; BOUNDARY="8323328-1486752244-1168650490=:11417" This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools. --8323328-1486752244-1168650490=:11417 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=ISO-8859-1; FORMAT=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE Content-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.64.0701122015041.12106@localhost.localdomain> ah, and i also wanted to talk about ruby-fr@ruby-lang.org, a mailing-list= =20 about Ruby in Frenc...

The Ruby IRC Channel is #ruby-lang on Freenode
Hi, small public service announcement: The official Ruby IRC channel is #ruby-lang on Freenode (i.e. irc://irc.freenode.net/ruby-lang.) The #ruby channel on the same network should NOT be used at this time because its administration is in the hands of a third party (who has, in addition, been absent for a long time.) There has been a recent increase in people mistakenly joining that channel rather than #ruby-lang. Until the administration is transferred to Ruby Central or other person/entity appointed by matz (and this may take some time with Freenode's policies), all #ruby people shoul...

Ruby in Ruby
Over on the pragprog list, Ron Jeffries suggested that it might be interesting to implement Ruby in Ruby. I thought -- but could not find quickly -- that someone had started such a project. I realise right now that this might be much slower, but it would seem to me to make it easier to make something like Rite or some other bytecode system possible, wouldn't it? -austin -- austin ziegler * austin@halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada software designer * pragmatic programmer * 2003.07.28 * 00.49.55 Hello, In message "Ruby in Ruby&quo...

ruby-lang down?
Hi, It appears that ruby-lang.org is down. Anyone looking into this? Thanks, Dan It worked for me at 10:53 pm PST. Will On 1/2/06, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > It appears that ruby-lang.org is down. Anyone looking into this? > > Thanks, > > Dan > > > -- Will Shattuck ( willshattuck.at.gmail.com ) Home Page: http://www.thewholeclan.com/will When you get to your wit's end, you'll find God lives there. ...

[PROPOSAL] ruby-wish@ruby-lang.org mailing list
what about a dedicatied mailing list for feedback? -- >here are more things in heaven and earth, horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. On 6/8/05, dave <dave.m@email.it> wrote: > what about a dedicatied mailing list for feedback? Why? ruby-talk is fine for discussions; ruby-core is great for technical changes. David Black's RCRchive (rcrchive.net) captures change requests; RubyForge has trackers for bugs and patches. There's more than enough places to discuss feedback without adding Yet Another Mailing List. -austin --=20 Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gm...

removing Ruby success stories page from Ruby-lang.org
The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame. compared to python success stories link this looks very weak. i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive Hi -- On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Rahul wrote: > > The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame. > > compared to python success stories link this looks very weak. > > i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive It's supposed to be informative, not impressive. Perhaps people can report their success stories and the...

Re: B��p�c �� ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
ua g ap p g lw c 3 38 12 9 4 uag a p pg lw c ���������� ��������� �/� �� ������! 21" �� 200$ �� 270$ 17" �� 70$ �� 100$ �������� �� 260$. ������������� ��������!!! ���.: 3 42- 6 8 - 64 ������ �� ��������� ���������� �� E-Mail: monitors1@seznam.cz, monitors2@seznam.cz ...

Ruby before Ruby ???
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Hi there. I was searching some stuff about Ruby and found this: http://www.cooper.com/alan/father_of_vb.html There was a Ruby before "our" Ruby, and it's known as Visual Basic today!= Jesus! Something that worried me was these words: "Because Microsoft owned exclusive rights to Ruby, they could do with it = as they pleased." Argh! Is the actual "Ruby" name ok, regarding the mark stuff? Some more links about that: http://www.forestmoon.com/BIRTHofVB/BIRTHofVB.html http://www.webword.com/interviews/cooper.ht...

offline Ruby class and library reference from www.ruby-lang.org?
Hi I am not very often online. But I am a frequently user of Ruby class and library reference. Is there any zip package for the whole reference that I can download and use it offline? Thanks ngoc ruby-doc.org has the goods, see http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads ChrisH wrote: > ruby-doc.org has the goods, see > http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads > But none of links from http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads are as user easily(friendly) as the one in "reference link" from www.ruby-lang.org. I can see all in one page from the "reference link". The best one is &qu...

Ruby 1.9 binary on ruby-lang.org not built with zlib?
Hello Ruby fans. The binary 1.9 package that's foudn on the ruby website doesn't seem to either a) contain zlib.dll or b) have it statically linked in. This causes problems when trying to run gem. I personally solved this by just installing my 1.9 over my old 1.8 and copying zlib1.dll to zlib.dll (found in ./bin). Is this intended or an oversight? I imagine it'd stump people who go straight for the 1.9 download... -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. > Is this intended or an oversight? I imagine it'd stump people who go > straight for the 1.9 download... I'...

ruby-lang down? #2
It looks like ruby-lang.org is down. Did I miss something? Jeffrey Schwab wrote: > It looks like ruby-lang.org is down. Did I miss something? I can't get to it either. Also, it appears the gateway is having issues. No emails from ruby-talk since about 1pm MDT. Regards, Dan Daniel Berger wrote: > Jeffrey Schwab wrote: > >> It looks like ruby-lang.org is down. Did I miss something? >> > > I can't get to it either. Also, it appears the gateway is having > issues. No emails from ruby-talk since about 1pm MDT. > > Regards, > > ...

Ruby-lang.org is down
Passenger Phussion sez, "no such file to load -- hikidoc (MissingSourceFile)" -- James Britt www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys www.ruby-doc.org - Ruby Help & Documentation www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff www.neurogami.com - Smart application development ...

Web resources about - Should Nokogiri replace REXML? - comp.lang.ruby

Mountain Lion and Nokogiri
... that one. +1 to him for being so helpful, but -2 for Apple for making it hard in the first place. My more serious trouble was with Nokogiri, ...

'osx-mavericks' tag wiki - Stack Overflow
Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Trevor Turk (@trevorturk) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Trevor Turk @ trevorturk ...

Japanese carpentry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Though there is a core practice shared by all Japanese carpenters , defined by a vocabulary of tools and joints and a methodology of working, ...

Double Shot #519
Who invented teeth, anyhow? Bad idea. Skype call recording with bookmarked, mind-mapped notes - N...

Archive
Andrew Brookins software engineering, the nature of good and evil, etc. Home About You are here: Home Pages: About Writing Consulting Ghana ...

Yoshitomo Nara
The artwork of is deceptively simple. Peopled with entities that call to mind toddlers or infant animals with their balloon heads, persimmon ...

Lifestyle - AsianceMagazine.com
Username: * Password: * Create new account Request new password LIFESTYLE WELCOME! "Welcome to the Lifestyle section of Asiance Magazine! We ...

Saw Mountain - Atlas Obscura
... nearby Nihon-ji was founded in 725 by Emperor Shōmu, it was nearly a millennium before people other than priests and pilgrims visited Nokogiri-yama, ...

Docker on Western Devs
... and while there’s a good guide on getting it running, we haven’t been able to do so ourselves. Some issue with a gem we’re using and Nokogiri ...

Resources last updated: 2/10/2016 1:11:25 AM