are user space app clusters the future of computing? start with say freebsd then load haskell then app from user space establishes cluster membership and prvides user environemnt like plan9 from b

are user space app clusters the future of computing?

start with say freebsd

then load haskell

then app from user space establishes cluster membership and prvides user environemnt

like plan9 from bell labs?
0
gavino_learning
11/27/2013 3:14:16 PM
comp.lang.scheme 4781 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

sending user defined signals from kernel space to user space
Hi all The linux version we are using is 2.4.We have requirement of running a state machine in kernel space .There are four states in the state machine namely. STATE_1,STATE_2, STATE_3 and STATE_4. We have requirement of sending four asynchronous notifications from kernel space to user space for each state change in the state machine. I am able to send two signals namely SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 from kernel space to user space for states STATE_1 and STATE_2 respectively. Can any one help me how can I send two more user defined signals from kernel space to user space for STATE_3 and STA...

a2k Turning a single-user app into a multi-user app
One of the more challenging things on my app's wishlist is to make it multi-user on a LAN. For the record my app was always intended to a single-user but things have changed. It's mostly composed of bound forms handling records numbered in the hundreds, sometimes a few thousand. The code of course refers to tables in the local mdb. I allow the user to create external backups of the tables in the database and to restore them. Because of this feature there is no workgroup security as I have to allow enough permissions for these backup/restore tasks to work. After opening the app I a...

sending user defined signals from kernel space to user space
Hi all The linux version we are using is 2.4.We have requirement of running a state machine in kernel space .There are four states in the state machine namely. STATE_1,STATE_2, STATE_3 and STATE_4. We have requirement of sending four asynchronous notifications from kernel space to user space for each state change in the state machine. I am able to send two signals namely SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 from kernel space to user space for states STATE_1 and STATE_2 respectively. Can any one help me how can I send two more user defined signals from kernel space to user space for STATE_3 and STA...

Java Web Start app icons keep going in user profile not All Users profile
We are deploying a java web start application that has been programmed and delivered to us by an outside vendor onto several machines that are shared by different users. All of the users log onto our network and authenticate to a windows domain. We would like all of the icons and java items to be deployed into the All Users profile so that other people that use these PCs don't have to keep reinstalling the applications and the icons. We have changed some of the jnlp files and the temporary files section of the javaws preferences to point to the all users profile section and have told ...

user space space slower performer than malloc space
code that writes blanks to the bytes of a user space appears to run 60% slower than the same code that writes blanks to an malloc allocated space. Any ideas why?? here are my timing results: clear user space. 16 meg 100 times. Begin 21.09.25 End 21.09.33 Elapsed 7294 milliseconds clear malloc space. 16 meg 100 times. Begin 21.09.33 End 21.09.37 Elapsed 4755 milliseconds here is my code that writes blanks to a user space: char* pSpace ; memset( &usrspc, ' ', sizeof(usrspc)) ; memcpy( usrspc.name, "TEST17C", 7 ) ; memcpy( usrspc.lib, "QTEMP", 5 ) ; mem...

import mailbox from former user to new user in Mail.app
Hi, On a Mac mini running 10.6.8, a staff member has departed her position. The person who is replacing her needs access to the former employee's mailboxes which were local IMAP mailboxes. (This is just the way it is done -- not my idea). Is there any way in which these mailboxes can be imported to the new IMAP account? If so, how would I go about this? If a webpage explaining this could be pointed to or some words of advice to get me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. In article <57915c7d-cabf-4b70-b61c-457ac9241489@googlegroups.com>, jackshown...

Writing to kernel space from user space ?
hi all, found a way to write to kernel space by using the call copy_from_user () but need to know the pointer to the kernel space add i need to write to . I need to write to the task_struct , is there someway to get the pointer to the task_struct in user space ? vivekian "vivekian" <viveklinux@gmail.com> writes: > hi all, > > found a way to write to kernel space by using the call copy_from_user > () but need to know the pointer to the kernel space add i need to write copy_from_user and friends are for use in kernel code only. > to . I ne...

Kernel space to User space calling
I have a kernel module and a user space application. My kernel modules wants to notify some event occurrence in kernel space to user space. Is this possible using function pointer, it is called from kernel space with argument and function definition should be in user space application. Is this possible to call a function from kernel to user space? or any other method is available to notify my user space application. Thanks... Pandi <pandiwelcomes@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a kernel module and a user space application. My kernel modules > wants to notify some event occu...

user space vs Kernel space
when user program is running its in user space when it does system call its in kernel space. so user program in kernel space means kernel is running on behalf of user process. does user space means user mode and kernel space means kernel mode does these spaces have anything to do with virtual address space of process Milind Dumbare wrote: > > when user program is running its in user space when it does system > call its in kernel space. so user program in kernel space means kernel > is running on behalf of user process. > > does user space means user mod...

sock_register only available in kernel space or also in user space ? If only kernel space is there something equivalent ?
Hello, is sock_register only available in kernel space or can it be also used in user space to register a new socket ? If only kernel space, is there a equivalent function for doing this ? Or some kind of wrapper, so a user mode application can register a new socket via kernel ? Regards, Martin "Maurer Martin (CN MUC)" wrote: > > Hello, > > is sock_register only available in kernel space or can it be also used in > user space It can be used only in kernel mode. > to register a new socket ? That is not what it does accordin...

Migrating a single user access database app to multi-user multi-site.
(cross posted - comp.databases.ms-access, microsoft.public.access) Hello folks - this is my first post here, after a short lurk. I have written an application in Access2002 for a friend's business which allows him to take orders, arrange deliveries and trace deliveries back in the event of subsequent complaints. It uses a handful of tables in a relational schema, with a few ancillary lookup tables, some forms, reports and VBA modules. Currently the whole thing runs on a standalone PC. Now he wants to run a copy in the warehouse which packs and ships the orders, in a location miles from...

How to count the number of times each letter and space in a sentence that was user inputted or typed in by the user?
Firstly I need to prompt the user to enter a sentence that contains between 10 to 20 words and it is supposed to give the user the number of times each letter and space in his/her sentence occurs . And secondly, I'm not sure how to write such a program so it would be helpful if someone could write out a very simple program that performed it. I would be really grateful. Thank You. "Howard Ehana" <howardehan@yahoo.com> wrote in message <k44p60$je6$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Firstly I need to prompt the user to enter a sentence that contains between 10 to 20...

Sharing 4MB of kernel Space in user space
Hi, I want to share 4MB of kernel space in user space. The 4MB of memory is allocated using vmalloc and will span across minimum of 1024 pages. Which is the best way to do so. Are there examples to share multiple pages in kernel space to user space. Can any one share some example. The entire application will need around 1095 pages to be shared with user space i.e 1095 pages to be locked (non swappable). Will this cause any impact on the system. Regards MK On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:01:04 -0700, MK wrote: > I want to share 4MB of kernel space in user space. The 4MB of ...

program execution in user space and in kernel space.
HI All, I want to know, what do mean by program execution in user space and program execution in kernel space. What I know is, when program invokes calls any system call, it starts executing in kernel space. But what about in user space? What makes these execution differ? Thanks Gururaja BO On Sep 16, 5:30=A0pm, guru <guru.nav...@gmail.com> wrote: > HI All, > > I want to know, what do mean by program execution in user space and > program execution in kernel space. > > What I know is, when program invokes calls any system call, it starts > execut...

Communicating Data from User Space to Kernel Space
struct rule{ int proto; char source[15]; }instance; I have written this structure into a file in user space ,say rule.txt . Say this file contains 10 records , i. e 10 instances of the above structure.Now I would like to read the same file in kernel space by a kernel module by reading 1 record at a time. How can i do this ? Is there any other way to do this without using files ? My objective is to read the 10 records from kernel space one record at a time and not the individual bytes. amit wrote: > > Is there any other way to do this without...

How to call user space function from kernel space
Hi, There is call back function in user space. This needs to be called from kernel space. Can we pass the address of these user space function to kernel space driver to call this function? If yes that machanism should be used? If no, what are other options we have? thanks in advance for your help, Karnan ...

reading a file which is in user space from kernel space
HI, Can we read a file which is in user space from kernel space. Idea is : This file is a configuration file which contains info which is needed by the file system. so while mounting i want to read this file and keep it in memory. Regards Gururaja On May 7, 9:31=A0am, guru <guru.nav...@gmail.com> wrote: > HI, > > Can we read a file which is in user space from kernel space. > Idea is : This file is a configuration file which contains info which > is needed by the file system. so while mounting i want to read this > file and keep it in memory. > >...

Virtual memory
Hi, I m having some questions in Linux memory management. I m considering about 32 bit machine only. If you have a 512 MB of memory, how it is divided between kernel space and user space? What is the link between this division and 3GB userspace and 1 GB kernel space division. Is the 3G/1G division is for virtual memory? Is the total Virtual memory can be 4G only? I mean is it the maximum? Thanks in advance. regards SaranJothy SaranJothy wrote: > Hi, > I m having some questions in Linux memory management. > I m considering about 32 bit machine only. > If you...

Moving an application from User Space to Kernel Space
Hi, I would like to move an application that is currently running in User Space to Kernel Space. Need your ideas regarding it. Regards, Karthik Balaguru > I would like to move an application that is currently running in User > Space to Kernel Space. > Need your ideas regarding it. > 1) The Kernel API from Kernel space is completely different from that used by user space. So no chance without rewriting the application. 2) Why would somebody want to do this ? What are you trying to accomplish. Kernel space applications ("modules", "drivers&qu...

Sharing memory between kernel space and user space
All, I want a ability to share memory between kernel and user space. What is the mechanism available in the 2.4 kernel? What synchronization mechanism can I use for accessing the memory from user space and kernel space? Shobha Shobha wrote: > All, > > I want a ability to share memory between kernel and user space. What is > the mechanism available in the 2.4 kernel? > > What synchronization mechanism can I use for accessing the memory from > user space and kernel space? > > Shobha A simple (and tipical) way may be by implementing a cha...

restore user space containing space pointers
I create a user space and in that space is stored a space pointer to bytes within that space. Basically, a header struct in the space contains a pointer to another location in the same space. When I use RSTOBJ to restore the usrspc from tape the pointers in the space are invalidated. How can I recover the restored pointers? The pointers themselves are intact. In debug I can see that the offset value of the pointer is intact. Even the segment part of the pointer is as it was when the space was saved. I am at security level 40 and assume this has to do with the security level. If that is the...

How the data from user space is passing to kernel space?
Hello guys! Just want to ask, if the data sent to network sockets is sent to TCPIP protocol driver via WriteFile() or there is another undocumented mechanism? I am talking about passing data (here: network packet) between user-mode and kernel-mode boundary: only ReadFile/WriteFile/DeviceIoControl or something else (maybe unofficial)? And more: If I have non-WDM driver. When user app calles ReadFile/WriteFile/DeviceIoControl on it, is it provided, that driver gets according IRPs on the same thread? Actually I am writing a NDIS protocol driver. BTW, Is it a WDM driver? Anyway, ca...

How to tell if domain\user is a local user or domain user?
Hello, there, I got a user name from LookupAccountSid in format of Domain\User. But the domain part could also be a computer name (i.e., a local user instead of domain user). Is there a way to tell if this user is a domain user? Thanks! ...

User space
Hi, I'm measuring the run-time of an application under Linux with "time". The results look as follows: real 5m22.063s user 5m6.715s sys 0m0.508s As can be seen there's a large difference between the user and sys value. What could be the reason for that? What operations are done in the user space? Regards, Chris Christian Chrismann wrote: > Hi, > > I'm measuring the run-time of an application under Linux > with "time". > > The results look as follows: > > real 5m22.063s > user 5m6.715s > sys 0m0.508s > ...

Web resources about - are user space app clusters the future of computing? start with say freebsd then load haskell then app from user space establishes cluster membership and prvides user environemnt like plan9 from b - comp.lang.scheme

Facebook Acquires Mobile App Data Startup Onavo, Establishes Israeli Office At Its Tel Aviv HQ
Tel Aviv-based mobile application data startup Onavo announced in a blog post that it was acquired by Facebook, and that the social network will ...

Facebook establishes Preferred Marketing Developer program with 232 companies providing tools and services ...
Facebook today officially introduced its Preferred Marketing Developer program with 141 new partner companies. The PMD program combines the ...

President`s son establishes Guiness Record - YouTube
President`s son establishes Guiness Record 05.07.11 Edward Saakashvili, the eldest son of the president of Georgia, has established Guinness ...

White establishes talent squad for generation next
The ACT Brumbies will establish a talented-player squad to boost depth and give players a pathway to Super Rugby less than a year after the ARU ...

Texas establishes 'Chris Kyle Day'
A retired Navy SEAL depicted in the blockbuster film American Sniper has been honoured in Texas.

Pope Francis establishes new Vatican tribunal to judge bishops accused of covering up sexual abuse
Pope Francis approved on Wednesday an unprecedented Vatican tribunal to judge bishops accused of covering up or failing to prevent sexual abuse ...

Senate establishes new inquiry into use of temporary working visas
A Senate inquiry will investigate the use of temporary working visas and the reported abuse and exploitation of foreign workers, just days after ...

China establishes group of Ivy League universities
CHINA'S top nine universities have made a much anticipated decision to formalise an elite group known as the C9 that is pitched as the country's ...

Victoria Police establishes new counter-terrorism squad with focus on preventing radicalisation
Victoria Police establishes a new counter-terrorism squad as part of a more 'sophisticated' approach to tackling the threat.

Nintendo establishes Korean subsidiary
Nintendo has announced the establishment of a new wholly owned subsidiary located in Seoul, focusing on localised DS Lite products and paving ...