Burning River Goodies v6.1 available

For those that are interested, version 6.1 of the Burning River
Goodies is now available at my website:

      http://www.nls.net/mp/jarvis/Bob/DolphinGoodies.htm

Share and enjoy.
0
jarvis (3)
11/21/2009 4:53:15 PM
comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin 3769 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Thank you for the updated package, I use a few of them.
0
Travis
11/22/2009 4:31:37 PM
Thanks for your work to the community

cjb

> For those that are interested, version 6.1 of the Burning River
> Goodies is now available at my website:
>
>       http://www.nls.net/mp/jarvis/Bob/DolphinGoodies.htm
>
> Share and enjoy.
0
Christoph
11/23/2009 8:18:26 AM
Hi Bob:

Thanks for the update to 6.1 and for sharing your work with us.
I'm interested about "Versioning Source Manager".
Are you using a CVS repository?
Is better this option than the STS bundled with Dolphin 6?
Your tool helps on the source code integration providing tools for
source code comparison and automatic integration of changes into the
image?

Best Regards
  Sebastian Calvo

On 21 nov, 13:53, Bob Jarvis <jar...@nls.net> wrote:
> For those that are interested, version 6.1 of the Burning River
> Goodies is now available at my website:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.nls.net/mp/jarvis/Bob/DolphinGoodies.htm
>
> Share and enjoy.

0
GallegO
11/23/2009 12:24:02 PM
Sorry Bob:

I loosing your comments about the RCS System where all my questions
has been answered.
I'm copying for those interested in:

RCS Source Control Integration =96 NOTE: If you're using the built-in
source control features in Dolphin 6 I DO NOT recommend installing
this package. If you do, make sure you try it in an image that you
don't care about. This has NOT been tested in Dophin 6 but I've
included it in case someone still wants it. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Automatically checks out the appropriate file when you change a class,
method, global, resource, or package. I've also added integration with
the PackageSelector class, so you can use the check-out and check-in
context menu entries on the PackageSelector on the System Browser.
Also automatically saves any changes before doing a check-in.

NOTE: If you need RCS your best bet is to install the Cygwin toolkit
(http://www.cygwin.com).

For more information on RCS see http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/trinkle/RCS/=
..

Some questions about using RCS with Dolphin come up occasionally.
Here's some answers:

What limitations are there in the RCS/Dolphin integration?

The biggest limitations is that code is stored into RCS but is never
loaded from RCS. When you check something out from RCS the disk file
is checked out, but the code in that file is not re-loaded into your
image. Thus, if the code has been changed by someone/something else
you won't see those changes.

I work alone. Is RcsSourceManager suitable for me?

Yes, assuming that you work the same way I do. If you keep one big
"Swiss Army Knife" image with absolutely everything loaded, and do all
your work in that one image, RcsSourceManager will work well for you.
Since you're the only developer and your image is always current with
what's in RCS you'll be fine.

I keep a bunch of separate images around, one for each of my projects.
Will RcsSourceManager work for me?

Maybe. If the packages in your images don't overlap (i.e. image A
loads packages Aleph, Bet, and Gimel, image B loads packages Alpha,
Beta and Gamma, and image C loads packages Zort, Nobble, and Foobar)
you should be fine. If, on the other hand, you use the same package in
multiple images you'll have to coordinate the updating and use of
these shared packages.

I need to coordinate work between multiple developers. Can I use
RcsSourceManager?

Of course, but keep in mind that you get what you pay for. With
RcsSourceManager you'll have to do a lot of manual coordination
between developers. It would be easier and, in the long run, cheaper
to use a commercial package which doesn't suffer from the limitations
of RcsSourceManager
0
GallegO
11/23/2009 12:30:02 PM
Bob,

> For those that are interested, version 6.1 of the Burning River
> Goodies is now available at my website:
>
>       http://www.nls.net/mp/jarvis/Bob/DolphinGoodies.htm
>
> Share and enjoy.

If this Dolphin7 / 64 bit development eventually gets going we'll make
sure that, for the new releases, OA runs an STS server and that the STS
client is available in all versions of Dolphin (including DCE). This
should make your job of keeping the goodies up to date a lot easier.

Thanks for continuing to update them.

Best regards

Andy Bower
0
Andy
11/23/2009 5:24:03 PM
Thanks, Andy.  I gather that STS is the Source Tracking System in the
Professional version.  I hadn't realized that it could store packages
on a remote server - I've figured out enough about it to use it here
on my laptop, but I'm sure there's a lot about it I'm missing.  I
checked the help but didn't find too much.  Are there any tutorials or
backgrounders available on this?

Thanks for putting out a great development tool.  I'm glad it's been
resurrected, and I'm looking forward to D7.  Sure hope it works out.

Thanks,
Bob
0
Bob
11/29/2009 9:22:24 PM
Sorry for the late reply - I don't check here as often as I should.

As you noted in your follow-on post the Versioning Source Manager
package uses RCS, not CVS.  The reasons for this are:

1.  I'm very familiar with RCS, having used it for many years, and
2.  I don't know much about CVS and don't happen to have a running
copy of it.

I built the Versioning Source Manager before STS was bundled in the
Pro image.  I feel that STS is a much better solution so I have no
plans at present to enhance Versioning Source Manager to use CVS or
any other external source manager.  That being said, I don't believe
it would be difficult to add support for CVS - it's just a matter of
launching a different command to do your check-ins and check-outs.
Support for something like Visual Sourcesafe, where you need to use a
COM object (I think - or does VSS have a command-line interface as
well?) might be a bit more challenging, but it's just a matter of
interfacing to the external system which is reasonably well
encapsulated.

If you want to have something like that I encourage you to dig in and
write the code.

Thanks,
Bob
0