Dolphin and Wine

I'm using a Linux only environment at work, and would like to have
Dolphin handy.

What's the current situation with DOlphin running under Wine? Has anyone
tried recently? I'm also interested in hearing what experiences people
have had with other emulation or virtualisation options.

                      cheers,

                             Steve
0
aa
10/16/2006 11:25:23 AM
comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin 3769 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I can't tell, but I like to hear.

cheers,

Sebastian

aa escreveu:

> I'm using a Linux only environment at work, and would like to have
> Dolphin handy.
>
> What's the current situation with DOlphin running under Wine? Has anyone
> tried recently? I'm also interested in hearing what experiences people
> have had with other emulation or virtualisation options.
>

>                       cheers,
>

>                              Steve

0
iso
10/17/2006 2:09:40 AM
aa wrote:

> I'm also interested in hearing what experiences people
> have had with other emulation or virtualisation options.

FWIW, Dolphin seems to run perfectly under VMWare.  Admitedly, my VMWare
installations are hosted by Windows rather than Linux, but I can't see why that
should make any difference to Dolphin.

    -- chris

0
Chris
10/17/2006 10:24:52 AM
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:24:52 +0100, Chris Uppal wrote:

> aa wrote:
>
>> I'm also interested in hearing what experiences people have had with
>> other emulation or virtualisation options.
>
> FWIW, Dolphin seems to run perfectly under VMWare.  Admitedly, my VMWare
> installations are hosted by Windows rather than Linux, but I can't see
> why that should make any difference to Dolphin.
>
>     -- chris

I can confirm this ... I've been running Dolphin under vmware for years,
lately even on a 64-bit linux host. no problem whatsoever.

s.
0
Stefan
10/17/2006 12:20:13 PM
aa wrote:

> What's the current situation with DOlphin running under Wine?

To answer my own question:

Wine is tantalizingly close, but not there yet. I've brought my backups
in today and tried installing Dolphin 3, 5, and 6 (I could try 2 and 4,
but I'm not expecting a miracle.)

6 is the closest - it installs ok, though Wine must be set to *not* run
fullscreen in order for the installer to run, but is ok in a window.
Dolphin accepts the serial number and unlocks correctly, and creates a
Community Edition Image. This main window of this image is only a couple
of millimeters high, and cannot be resized.

I saved it anyway, and launched my new Community Edition. This craps out
while trying to draw the splash screen, but drops me into the debugger -
and the debugger seems to work perfectly well - even the method name
completion still works. It's so tantalizingly close... maybe in a couple
of editions of Wine we'll make it all the way.

                            STeve

0
aa
10/19/2006 10:52:45 AM
Very good news. We will wait for wine to make it then...
regards,

Sebastian

aa escreveu:

> aa wrote:
>
> > What's the current situation with DOlphin running under Wine?
>
> To answer my own question:
>
> Wine is tantalizingly close, but not there yet. I've brought my backups
> in today and tried installing Dolphin 3, 5, and 6 (I could try 2 and 4,
> but I'm not expecting a miracle.)
>
> 6 is the closest - it installs ok, though Wine must be set to *not* run
> fullscreen in order for the installer to run, but is ok in a window.
> Dolphin accepts the serial number and unlocks correctly, and creates a
> Community Edition Image. This main window of this image is only a couple
> of millimeters high, and cannot be resized.
>
> I saved it anyway, and launched my new Community Edition. This craps out
> while trying to draw the splash screen, but drops me into the debugger -
> and the debugger seems to work perfectly well - even the method name
> completion still works. It's so tantalizingly close... maybe in a couple
> of editions of Wine we'll make it all the way.
>

>                             STeve

0
iso
10/19/2006 4:10:23 PM
"aa" <bb@aa.com> wrote in message news:12jem8b883edi99@corp.supernews.com...
> aa wrote:
>
>> What's the current situation with DOlphin running under Wine?
>
> To answer my own question:
> I saved it anyway, and launched my new Community Edition. This craps out
> while trying to draw the splash screen, but drops me into the debugger -
> and the debugger seems to work perfectly well - even the method name
> completion still works. It's so tantalizingly close... maybe in a couple
> of editions of Wine we'll make it all the way.

I think you can supress the splash screen in Dolphin by running it with
the -nosplash command line option.  Perhaps that might let you get it open,
or at least get a little further under Wine.

Chris

0
Christopher
10/19/2006 9:17:06 PM
Christopher J. Demers wrote:

> I think you can supress the splash screen in Dolphin by running it with
> the -nosplash command line option.  Perhaps that might let you get it open,
> or at least get a little further under Wine.

Good thought - I'll try it Monday, when I'm next in Linux-land.

> Chris

                          Steve
0
aa
10/20/2006 8:58:31 AM
Christopher J. Demers wrote:

> I think you can supress the splash screen in Dolphin by running it with
> the -nosplash command line option.  Perhaps that might let you get it open,
> or at least get a little further under Wine.

Jackpot! Well - consolation prize anyway.

The launcher window comes up about 40mm wide by 10mm high and is
un-resizable. However, there's a mm or two of the menu showing, and it's
*just* enough to launch a workspace.

The workspace behaves normally and you can execute snippets of
Smalltalk. From the icons at the top of the browser you can launch the
various browsers, including the IdeaSpace. Some of them work prefectly
well, others throw a walkback partway through drawing themselves. The
more text based a window is, the happier it is. The more graphics based
- well...

Caveat: to get the effects above, use winecfg to fiddle with the
graphics settings - I think I unticked every box, but can't swear to it,
as my Linux system is at work.

It's close, no doubt about it. Not close enough, but very impressive.

> Chris

              Steve
0
aa
10/23/2006 2:01:23 PM
aa wrote:

> The launcher window comes up about 40mm wide by 10mm high and is
> un-resizable.

If you do a 'panic' from code (executed in a workspace):

    SmalltalkSystem current panic

does the replacement reopen in a more normal state ?  Alternatively, can you
resize it from code:

    SmalltalkSystemShell default view extent: 700@400

?

    -- chris

0
Chris
10/23/2006 2:57:28 PM
Chris Uppal wrote:

> If you do a 'panic' from code (executed in a workspace):
>
>     SmalltalkSystem current panic
>
> does the replacement reopen in a more normal state ?  Alternatively, can you
> resize it from code:
>
>     SmalltalkSystemShell default view extent: 700@400

Good suggestions but no go I'm afraid - the launcher window declines to
resize.

>     -- chris

              Steve
0
aa
10/25/2006 12:16:30 PM
I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications.

Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web
applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine.

Best regards,

David Gorisek

aa wrote:
> Chris Uppal wrote:
>
>> If you do a 'panic' from code (executed in a workspace):
>>
>>     SmalltalkSystem current panic
>>
>> does the replacement reopen in a more normal state ?  Alternatively,
>> can you
>> resize it from code:
>>
>>     SmalltalkSystemShell default view extent: 700@400
>
> Good suggestions but no go I'm afraid - the launcher window declines to
> resize.
>
>>     -- chris
>

>              Steve
0
David
10/25/2006 1:37:07 PM
"Chris Uppal" <chris.uppal@metagnostic.REMOVE-THIS.org> wrote in message
> aa wrote:
>
>> The launcher window comes up about 40mm wide by 10mm high and is
>> un-resizable.
>
> If you do a 'panic' from code (executed in a workspace):
>
>    SmalltalkSystem current panic
>
> does the replacement reopen in a more normal state ?  Alternatively, can
> you
> resize it from code:
>
>    SmalltalkSystemShell default view extent: 700@400
>
> ?

It's probably because the background bitmap is failing to load. The
SystemFolder limits its max extent to that of the bitmap.

The menus should still work if you try and drive them from the keyboard. For
example if you press Alt+T you should get up the tools menu from where you
can  open an inspector (Alt+T, F). You may now be able to point the Visual
Object Finder at the system shell and from there change the max extent. Now
you should be able to resize the window. Now go and modify
SmalltalkSystemShell>>setListViewWatermark so it doesn't limit the view
extent.

Frankly though, I doubt it'll ever actually be usable (certainly it seems
little better now that it was 5 years ago). You might be able to run a
constrained app on it where you are able to limit what you use, but the full
IDE is a different matter.

Regards

OA

0
Support

Dolphin on Linux (was: Dolphin and Wine)
David Gorisek escribi�: > I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. > > Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web > applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. How does it perform? Regards, -- Esteban. Esteban A. Maringolo wrote: > David Gorisek escribi�: >> I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. >> >> Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web >> applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. > > How does it perform? &...

Why Smalltalk? Why Dolphin?
Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. TIA, Steve Den tirsdag den 21. april 2015 kl. 18.29.30 UTC+2 skrev Steve Graham: > Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems > to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you > can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. > > TIA, Steve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOsS-vD-XA There are several other wideos on ObjectArts site ...

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

Intelli-Dolphin on Dolphin X6 CE
Hi, I've installed Intelli-Dolphin on a vanilla DX6 CE image, and the Default view of the class browser shows a black rectangle as the background of the added checkbox for viewing inherited methods. Is this a bug or a feature? ;-) I use WinXP MUI SP2. Regards, -- Esteban. Unfortunately this is a known problem - it is apparently related to how the Dolphin Gui editor renders widgets - or something like that (I was pointed to the OA Blog entry "what you see is not always what you get: http://www.object-arts.com/content/blog/2005Dec14-BSM.html). There is a work...

Do-it best with Dolphin Smalltalk
Hi, For those who like minimalist and/or propagandistic wallpapers, I've made one about Dolphin :-D. You can download it from <http://emaringolo.users.dolphinmap.net>. Regards, -- Esteban. Esteban A. Maringolo wrote: > For those who like minimalist and/or propagandistic wallpapers, I've > made one about Dolphin :-D. Nice work Esteban! I really liked your minimlist approach. I hope you don't mind that I "copied" your design and adapted it for a Screensaver. The screensaver is available here: http://udos.users.dolphinmap.net/apps/doItBe...

Dolphin 7 on Wine.
Is there still a way to make this work? I haven't tried particularly hard y= et, but building doesn't seem to working with or without virtual desktop en= abled as per WineHQ for Dolphin 6.02. I see a few issues with line endings = on the list, but since I'm using Linux Git fixing this problem is not as ea= sy as setting core.autocrlf. Thanks! Jacob. On 30/12/2015 01:47, Jacob MacDonald wrote: > Is there still a way to make this work? I haven't tried particularly hard yet, but building doesn't seem to working with or without virtual desktop enabled as per Win...

What are you doing with Dolphin?
I remember there was a interesting thread likes 'What are you doing with Lisp?' in comp.lang.lisp. Now, It's dolphin version. What are you doing with Dolphin smalltalk? Are you happy with dolphin? : ) On 6 Apr 2005 22:54:19 -0700, showoo22@hanmail.net (Dolphin) wrote: >I remember there was a interesting thread likes 'What are you doing >with Lisp?' in comp.lang.lisp. > >Now, It's dolphin version. What are you doing with Dolphin smalltalk? Learning and annoying Ian and Bill with newbie questions. ;-) >Are you happy with dolphin? : ) ...

RoboCode in Dolphin Smalltalk?
Hi, does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk RoboCode project? G�nther Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > Hi, > > does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk > RoboCode project? > > G�nther Hello G�nther, sounds interesting. Do you want to create a RoboCode-Clone or something which is similar to RoboCode? cu, Yogi Marc Michael wrote: > Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > >> Hi, >> >> does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk >> RoboCode project? >&...

Dolphin Smalltalk News
Folks, Object Arts are pleased to announce that over the last few months we have entered into a partnership with Lesser Software (www.lesser-software.com) with the aim of creating the Next Generation of Dolphin Smalltalk. This new version of Dolphin will be targetted towards professional software developers and will leverage the experience that Lesser Software have built up over a number of years in high performance Smalltalk virtual machines and development tools. Lesser Software's current product set includes LSW Vision Smalltalk, whose virtual machine retains full by...

Dolphin on Linux wine
Community edition 6.02 runs under Fedora x86_64 and wine, with a few problems, noted below. Put the following in the directory dolphin6 Dolphin.chg Dolphin.exe DolphinVM006.dll MSVCR71.dll DolphinCR006.dll Dolphin.img IPDolphin.dll SciLexer.dll DolphinDR006.dll Dolphin.sml IPDolphinToGo.dll Dolphin.errors DolphinSureCrypto.dll MSVCP71.dll Under Windows XP the changes described in the MacOS wine blog (object- arts.com main page) were added (File In), to create Dolphin.img. In the directory dolphin6 execute the following: wine ...

Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux...
Think there will ever be a Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux? In particular, on 64-bit Linux? ...

Dolphin Smalltalkers in Germany?
Hi, are there any Dolphiners in Germany? G�nther G�nther Schmidt wrote: > are there any Dolphiners in Germany? Ja, hier :-) CU, Udo Udo Schneider schrieb: > G�nther Schmidt wrote: > >> are there any Dolphiners in Germany? > > Ja, hier :-) > > CU, > > Udo > and here. but I'm a newbie. karl G�nther Schmidt wrote: > Hi, > > are there any Dolphiners in Germany? > > G�nther Yes, over here (Hamburg). Regards, Florian Yes there are ;-) My merge from Digitalk Smalltalk to Dolphin remembers ...

the dolphin smalltalk companion code
Hi, I got a second hand copy of "The Dolphin Smalltalk Companion". Unfortunatley without the companion CD. Can someone help me with acquiring the code of that cd? Thanks in advance, Has. > I got a second hand copy of "The Dolphin Smalltalk Companion". > Unfortunatley without the companion CD. > Can someone help me with acquiring the code of that cd? I should be able to help, I'll have a look around at home tonight On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:53:08 -0700 (PDT), Malbs <smalloy@gmail.com> wrote: >I should be able to help, I'll h...

Charting Component for Dolphin Smalltalk
All, I was searching for an (affordable) Charting Component for Dolphin. Having found nothing I started to wrap OpenFlashChart (Flash based) for Dolphin (which provided an Flash/ActionScript<->Dolphin script as a side effect :-) ). Reason for this was that I already had most of the wrapper stuff in place due to the Seaside wrapper. I had a few Problems with OFC in general so I tend to use a simlar approach to wrap FusionCharts(free). Now my question: Is there anybody using/needing charting components for Dolphin Smalltalk? If yes - what are the must haves, nice to have...

Web resources about - Dolphin and Wine - comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin

Dolphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dolphins are cetacean mammals closely related to whales and porpoises . There are almost forty species of dolphin in 17 genera . They vary in ...

Dolphins - Spy in the Pod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Remote-control underwater "spy cameras" disguised as sea creatures - including dolphins, shark, tuna, squid, nautilus and puffer fish - allowed ...

Chronik-Fotos - Miami Dolphins Draft Experts - Facebook
Sleeper Profile: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif Offensive Tackle/ Offensive Guard 6-5 310 Number 66 Montreal's McGill University Every year players ...

MiamiHerald.com - Miami & Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Miami Dolphins & More
Miami-Dade and Broward's source for the latest breaking local news on sports, weather, business, jobs, real estate, shopping, health, travel, ...

Miami Dolphins (@DolphinsMEDIA) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Miami Dolphins @ DolphinsMEDIA ...

Mandurah teenagers rescue dolphin
Three quick-thinking Mandurah teenagers saved the life of a stranded baby dolphin.

Mandurah teenagers rescue dolphin
Three quick-thinking Mandurah teenagers saved the life of a stranded baby dolphin.

Drone captures footage of dolphins frolicking in Secret Harbour surf
A UK tourist was lucky enough to capture remarkable footage of a dolphin swimming with her calf 50 metres offshore in Secret Harbour.