Dolphin application moving from winXP to macbook using wine

Dear group

I am just starting up moving an application to the mac world using
http://www.object-arts.com/blog/file/904294e27cec4b8dff96422f3197f603-5.html
If my experience could be of value to somebody here I will log it
and publish it in the group.

The application is a 'YAIFAP'
(Yet Another Interactive Fiction Authoring Platform) ;-))

It uses directXSound and has a good deal of programmatically handled
pane sliders,tabs, and images.

regards
Soren
0
fjern
7/11/2012 3:54:32 PM
comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin 3769 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Thank you, I'am interested in your experience.

Diego

El mi=E9rcoles, 11 de julio de 2012 12:54:32 UTC-3, fjern  escribi=F3:
> Dear group
>=20
> I am just starting up moving an application to the mac world using
> http://www.object-arts.com/blog/file/904294e27cec4b8dff96422f3197f603-5.h=
tml
> If my experience could be of value to somebody here I will log it
> and publish it in the group.
>=20
> The application is a 'YAIFAP'
> (Yet Another Interactive Fiction Authoring Platform) ;-))
>=20
> It uses directXSound and has a good deal of programmatically handled=20
> pane sliders,tabs, and images.
>=20
> regards
> Soren

0
dcoronel32
7/11/2012 6:16:03 PM
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:54:32 AM UTC-4, fjern wrote:
> Dear group
>
> I am just starting up moving an application to the mac world using
> http://www.object-arts.com/blog/file/904294e27cec4b8dff96422f3197f603-5.html
> If my experience could be of value to somebody here I will log it
> and publish it in the group.
>
> The application is a 'YAIFAP'
> (Yet Another Interactive Fiction Authoring Platform) ;-))
>
> It uses directXSound and has a good deal of programmatically handled
> pane sliders,tabs, and images.
>
> regards
> Soren

i would also appreciate a description of the migration

john
0
jndcummings
7/11/2012 8:50:28 PM
  I am interested in how you did IF in smalltalk.  Does it have good natural language processing, say on par with INFORM or TADS?
0
Jacob
7/13/2012 5:21:56 PM
Den 13-07-2012 19:21, Jacob Wagner skrev:
>    I am interested in how you did IF in smalltalk.  Does it have good natural language processing, say on par with INFORM or TADS?

The author makes patterns which will trigger whenever they match strings
the player enters.

so the short answer is yes -

Here is the long answer: ;-)
Patterns are organised in state machines contained in rooms,things and
characters where they control their appearance, using a straightforward
locality concept.

When a pattern matches a string a very highlevel processdescription
is started often consisting of two to three commands eg. move, put, see,
wait, esc. - possibly changing the state of a statemachine.

Furthermore places,roms and things may send strings to each other
simulating player entered strings.

The basic ideas are:
--------------------
Simple tasks should be straightforward, more
complex ones, eg to handle a Ford-T driving around in a smalltown
may well require more effort.

local changes should not propagate elsewhere.

A userinterface which is kind and forgiving, but supported by a
strict consistency control.

The ability to split and merge scripts under consistency control to
facilitate group work.

ok - think I have to stop now - I have app. 180 pages of documentation
but everything is still in danish.

Thankyou for your curiosity -
Soren

0
fjern
7/13/2012 9:13:21 PM
  Soren:
  Sounds fascinating!  How do I get access to the code? :)

0
Jacob
7/16/2012 8:56:52 AM
Den 16-07-2012 10:56, Jacob Wagner skrev:
>    Soren:
>    Sounds fascinating!  How do I get access to the code? :)

At present I have no plans to publish the smalltalk code.
The IF authoring system and the presenter for the PicturesInYourHead
concept are published here - warning - everything is in danish

http://www.facebook.com/groups/PicturesInYourHead/
http://picturesinyourhead.vpweb.dk/

At present I have no plans of publishing the smalltalk code, the latest
..pac file has a size of 2Mb.

Are you yourself actve in IF?

regards
Soren

0
fjern

Dolphin on Linux (was: Dolphin and Wine)
David Gorisek escribi�: > I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. > > Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web > applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. How does it perform? Regards, -- Esteban. Esteban A. Maringolo wrote: > David Gorisek escribi�: >> I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. >> >> Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web >> applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. > > How does it perform? &...

Icons for Dolphin Smalltalk Applications
Hi, I'm always searching for Icons which do match Dolphin's "Theme". I'm willing to pay for good quality stock icons (and already did for some bad looking ones :-( ) but recently recently found a very good match here which is "free": http://nuovext.pwsp.net/ This icon set is a very good match for Dolphin and I use them in some of my apps with very good feedback so far. An example screen shot can be found here: http://udos.users.dolphinmap.net/_Media/HpiConverter_0.048beta.jpg http://udos.users.dolphinmap.net/apps/hpi_converter.html CU, U...

First application using Dolphin
I have a model that basically consists of a socket interface to a slightly modified LookupTable. The LookupTable gets updated from clients connected via sockets, but I also want to update it visually through the View/Presenter. writing the model - accommodating multiple simultaneous clients using threads/processes - was amazingly simple. But for some reason the View/Presenter combination just hasn't clicked for me yet. I'm at a loss as to which presenter/view to use to present the LookupTable. Basically I just need a two column list that allows items to be added/deleted...

Closing the application Powered by Dolphin Smalltalk
Hi all, I'm having an irregular problem closing a pair of application recently deployed. The thing is when you close the main window expecting that the program to be closed and it corresponding OS process. A) In one case the window closes and the process is still alive (looking in the Windows's task manager). B) In other case it happends only sometimes, I mean, sometimes close the window AND the process (like you allways want to), and sometimes only the main window leaving the process alive. C) In the case that allways was leaving the process ali...

Interactive Brokers TWS / Dolphin Smalltalk Application
To Open source or Not? Hi Smalltalkers... I have a standalone smalltalk application/package that I wrote to connect to Interactive Brokers Trader Workstation using the Socket API. (I essentially rewrote the socket code supplied by IB Socket API C++ example). I have used it to day trade stocks and futures in simulation mode. it never went into production for two reasons. 1. Platform was never stable enough to trust live. 2. Strategies were never profitable enough. So, it is maybe 90% complete. Recently I fired it up and got the message from IB that the socket in...

Dolphin Smalltalk X6 Application starts very slowly
Hi. I'm new in Dolphin Smalltalk X6, not in Smalltalk. When I start the application by clicking the generated image after installation, it takes 30 seconds or 1 minute to start on my P4/3.4GHz laptop with 1Gb Ram under Windows XP Pro with all security patches. During startup, my mouse moves by steps and not fluently... Processors are near 100% of power consumption. I've tried the same image on my fix PC (512Mb/P4 3Ghz) and then it starts very fast. After startup, Dolphin runs normally on the two configuration. Any idea? Thanks a lot. Eric. "informagicien&q...

Why Smalltalk? Why Dolphin?
Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. TIA, Steve Den tirsdag den 21. april 2015 kl. 18.29.30 UTC+2 skrev Steve Graham: > Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems > to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you > can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. > > TIA, Steve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOsS-vD-XA There are several other wideos on ObjectArts site ...

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

Dolphin and Wine
I'm using a Linux only environment at work, and would like to have Dolphin handy. What's the current situation with DOlphin running under Wine? Has anyone tried recently? I'm also interested in hearing what experiences people have had with other emulation or virtualisation options. cheers, Steve I can't tell, but I like to hear. cheers, Sebastian aa escreveu: > I'm using a Linux only environment at work, and would like to have > Dolphin handy. > > What's the current situ...

Intelli-Dolphin on Dolphin X6 CE
Hi, I've installed Intelli-Dolphin on a vanilla DX6 CE image, and the Default view of the class browser shows a black rectangle as the background of the added checkbox for viewing inherited methods. Is this a bug or a feature? ;-) I use WinXP MUI SP2. Regards, -- Esteban. Unfortunately this is a known problem - it is apparently related to how the Dolphin Gui editor renders widgets - or something like that (I was pointed to the OA Blog entry "what you see is not always what you get: http://www.object-arts.com/content/blog/2005Dec14-BSM.html). There is a work...

Dolphin 7 on Wine.
Is there still a way to make this work? I haven't tried particularly hard y= et, but building doesn't seem to working with or without virtual desktop en= abled as per WineHQ for Dolphin 6.02. I see a few issues with line endings = on the list, but since I'm using Linux Git fixing this problem is not as ea= sy as setting core.autocrlf. Thanks! Jacob. On 30/12/2015 01:47, Jacob MacDonald wrote: > Is there still a way to make this work? I haven't tried particularly hard yet, but building doesn't seem to working with or without virtual desktop enabled as per Win...

Dolphin on Linux wine
Community edition 6.02 runs under Fedora x86_64 and wine, with a few problems, noted below. Put the following in the directory dolphin6 Dolphin.chg Dolphin.exe DolphinVM006.dll MSVCR71.dll DolphinCR006.dll Dolphin.img IPDolphin.dll SciLexer.dll DolphinDR006.dll Dolphin.sml IPDolphinToGo.dll Dolphin.errors DolphinSureCrypto.dll MSVCP71.dll Under Windows XP the changes described in the MacOS wine blog (object- arts.com main page) were added (File In), to create Dolphin.img. In the directory dolphin6 execute the following: wine ...

Do-it best with Dolphin Smalltalk
Hi, For those who like minimalist and/or propagandistic wallpapers, I've made one about Dolphin :-D. You can download it from <http://emaringolo.users.dolphinmap.net>. Regards, -- Esteban. Esteban A. Maringolo wrote: > For those who like minimalist and/or propagandistic wallpapers, I've > made one about Dolphin :-D. Nice work Esteban! I really liked your minimlist approach. I hope you don't mind that I "copied" your design and adapted it for a Screensaver. The screensaver is available here: http://udos.users.dolphinmap.net/apps/doItBe...

Dolphin Smalltalk News
Folks, Object Arts are pleased to announce that over the last few months we have entered into a partnership with Lesser Software (www.lesser-software.com) with the aim of creating the Next Generation of Dolphin Smalltalk. This new version of Dolphin will be targetted towards professional software developers and will leverage the experience that Lesser Software have built up over a number of years in high performance Smalltalk virtual machines and development tools. Lesser Software's current product set includes LSW Vision Smalltalk, whose virtual machine retains full by...

Web resources about - Dolphin application moving from winXP to macbook using wine - comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin

ACT development application volume falls between 2015 and 2014
Development applications dropped in the ACT in 2015 compared with 2014, year-end government figures show.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa scheme that could allow 200 tech immigrants to ...
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 17% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Mortgage Applications Increase as Rates Fall in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 9.0 percent ...

Mortgage applications up 8.8%
Defying expectations for the start of 2016, mortgage rates spiraled down further last week, spurring more applications.

The USPTO updates their refusal of Sony's 'Let's Play' trademark application
... and Trademarks Office shot them down. What was interesting was the USPTO’s justification for doing so. They didn’t originally deny the application ...

Digitimes Research: Non-gaming VR applications showcased at CES 2016
VR (virtual reality) devices showcased at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) highlighted many applications beyond gaming to include education, ...

Application Containers Gain Traction Among IT Pros
The Robin Systems survey indicated 81 percent of respondents expect their companies to increase the investment in container-based technology. ...

Trends In Food, Applications In Wine: Tips From The Fancy Food Show
The $109 billion specialty food category has something to teach the wine industry. Here’s a look at prominent trends that are driving that growth, ...