First application using Dolphin

I have a model that basically consists of a socket interface to a slightly
modified LookupTable.

The LookupTable gets updated from clients connected via sockets, but I also
want to update it visually through the View/Presenter.

writing the model - accommodating multiple simultaneous clients using
threads/processes - was amazingly simple.  But for some reason the
View/Presenter combination just hasn't clicked for me yet.

I'm at a loss as to which presenter/view to use to present the LookupTable.
Basically I just need a two column list that allows items to be
added/deleted/changed.  And to somehow wire that up to the LookupTable.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA

Elliot

0
Elliot
1/23/2004 12:57:18 AM
comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin 3769 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Elliot Finley" <efinley@efinley.com> wrote in message
> I have a model that basically consists of a socket interface to a slightly
> modified LookupTable.
> I'm at a loss as to which presenter/view to use to present the
LookupTable.
> Basically I just need a two column list that allows items to be
> added/deleted/changed.  And to somehow wire that up to the LookupTable.

Check out the DictionaryPresenter.  Maybe you can use it behind a multi-
However for some reason I have a feeling that it may not always be a
replacement for a ListPresenter.  I forget the details, but I recall that
the DictionaryPresenter did not always work where I needed it to.  Perhaps
someone else can clarify this.  There were times I ended up using a
collection of associations in lists.  That may not work for you if the lists
can be updated behind the scenes as well.  See a brief programmatic example
of the DictionaryPresenter bellow:
=======
dict := LookupTable new.
dict at: 1 put: 'one'; at: 2 put: 'two'; at: 3 put: 'three'.
dp := DictionaryPresenter showOn: dict.
lv := dp view viewNamed: 'list'.
nc := lv addColumn.
nc text: 'Key'.
nc getTextBlock: [:each | each key displayString].
nc := lv addColumn.
nc text: 'Value'.
nc getTextBlock: [:each | each value displayString].
lv removeColumnAtIndex: 1.
lv hasColumnHeaders: true.
=======

Chris

0
Christopher
1/23/2004 1:55:55 AM
Elliot,

> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Have you sorted this out yet or are you still looking for pointers?.

The problem is that you are probably trying to use a standard MVP
component, a ListPresenter/View/Model, that expects the model to contain
a sequential collection.  Because you want the data to be contained in a
non sequential collection you will need to add a bit more code to get
the two to work together .

It's not that difficult but the exact procedure depends on what you need
to do.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Ian

Icons for Dolphin Smalltalk Applications
Hi, I'm always searching for Icons which do match Dolphin's "Theme". I'm willing to pay for good quality stock icons (and already did for some bad looking ones :-( ) but recently recently found a very good match here which is "free": http://nuovext.pwsp.net/ This icon set is a very good match for Dolphin and I use them in some of my apps with very good feedback so far. An example screen shot can be found here: http://udos.users.dolphinmap.net/_Media/HpiConverter_0.048beta.jpg http://udos.users.dolphinmap.net/apps/hpi_converter.html CU, U...

Closing the application Powered by Dolphin Smalltalk
Hi all, I'm having an irregular problem closing a pair of application recently deployed. The thing is when you close the main window expecting that the program to be closed and it corresponding OS process. A) In one case the window closes and the process is still alive (looking in the Windows's task manager). B) In other case it happends only sometimes, I mean, sometimes close the window AND the process (like you allways want to), and sometimes only the main window leaving the process alive. C) In the case that allways was leaving the process ali...

Interactive Brokers TWS / Dolphin Smalltalk Application
To Open source or Not? Hi Smalltalkers... I have a standalone smalltalk application/package that I wrote to connect to Interactive Brokers Trader Workstation using the Socket API. (I essentially rewrote the socket code supplied by IB Socket API C++ example). I have used it to day trade stocks and futures in simulation mode. it never went into production for two reasons. 1. Platform was never stable enough to trust live. 2. Strategies were never profitable enough. So, it is maybe 90% complete. Recently I fired it up and got the message from IB that the socket in...

Dolphin Smalltalk X6 Application starts very slowly
Hi. I'm new in Dolphin Smalltalk X6, not in Smalltalk. When I start the application by clicking the generated image after installation, it takes 30 seconds or 1 minute to start on my P4/3.4GHz laptop with 1Gb Ram under Windows XP Pro with all security patches. During startup, my mouse moves by steps and not fluently... Processors are near 100% of power consumption. I've tried the same image on my fix PC (512Mb/P4 3Ghz) and then it starts very fast. After startup, Dolphin runs normally on the two configuration. Any idea? Thanks a lot. Eric. "informagicien&q...

Dolphin application moving from winXP to macbook using wine
Dear group I am just starting up moving an application to the mac world using http://www.object-arts.com/blog/file/904294e27cec4b8dff96422f3197f603-5.html If my experience could be of value to somebody here I will log it and publish it in the group. The application is a 'YAIFAP' (Yet Another Interactive Fiction Authoring Platform) ;-)) It uses directXSound and has a good deal of programmatically handled pane sliders,tabs, and images. regards Soren Thank you, I'am interested in your experience. Diego El mi=E9rcoles, 11 de julio de 2012 12:54:32 UTC-3, fj...

Dolphin on Linux (was: Dolphin and Wine)
David Gorisek escribi�: > I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. > > Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web > applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. How does it perform? Regards, -- Esteban. Esteban A. Maringolo wrote: > David Gorisek escribi�: >> I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. >> >> Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web >> applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. > > How does it perform? &...

Why Smalltalk? Why Dolphin?
Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. TIA, Steve Den tirsdag den 21. april 2015 kl. 18.29.30 UTC+2 skrev Steve Graham: > Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems > to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you > can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. > > TIA, Steve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOsS-vD-XA There are several other wideos on ObjectArts site ...

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

Intelli-Dolphin on Dolphin X6 CE
Hi, I've installed Intelli-Dolphin on a vanilla DX6 CE image, and the Default view of the class browser shows a black rectangle as the background of the added checkbox for viewing inherited methods. Is this a bug or a feature? ;-) I use WinXP MUI SP2. Regards, -- Esteban. Unfortunately this is a known problem - it is apparently related to how the Dolphin Gui editor renders widgets - or something like that (I was pointed to the OA Blog entry "what you see is not always what you get: http://www.object-arts.com/content/blog/2005Dec14-BSM.html). There is a work...

Dolphin Smalltalk News
Folks, Object Arts are pleased to announce that over the last few months we have entered into a partnership with Lesser Software (www.lesser-software.com) with the aim of creating the Next Generation of Dolphin Smalltalk. This new version of Dolphin will be targetted towards professional software developers and will leverage the experience that Lesser Software have built up over a number of years in high performance Smalltalk virtual machines and development tools. Lesser Software's current product set includes LSW Vision Smalltalk, whose virtual machine retains full by...

Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux...
Think there will ever be a Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux? In particular, on 64-bit Linux? ...

Using SQLite with Dolphin
Hello, I want to use SQLite with D5. With DSDN I saw that Sean Malloy wrote a package to do that. Is this package available somewhere ? Thanks Joseph > I want to use SQLite with D5. With DSDN I saw that Sean Malloy wrote a > package to do that. Is this package available somewhere ? Hey Joseph, Sorry, I haven't actually finished it yet. I've got a lot of half baked stuff floating around. I'll see if I can get it done, or close to done, and post a package. Hi Sean, Thank you very much. I am ready to help if I can. Joseph "S...

Dolphin Smalltalkers in Germany?
Hi, are there any Dolphiners in Germany? G�nther G�nther Schmidt wrote: > are there any Dolphiners in Germany? Ja, hier :-) CU, Udo Udo Schneider schrieb: > G�nther Schmidt wrote: > >> are there any Dolphiners in Germany? > > Ja, hier :-) > > CU, > > Udo > and here. but I'm a newbie. karl G�nther Schmidt wrote: > Hi, > > are there any Dolphiners in Germany? > > G�nther Yes, over here (Hamburg). Regards, Florian Yes there are ;-) My merge from Digitalk Smalltalk to Dolphin remembers ...

RoboCode in Dolphin Smalltalk?
Hi, does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk RoboCode project? G�nther Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > Hi, > > does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk > RoboCode project? > > G�nther Hello G�nther, sounds interesting. Do you want to create a RoboCode-Clone or something which is similar to RoboCode? cu, Yogi Marc Michael wrote: > Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > >> Hi, >> >> does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk >> RoboCode project? >&...

Web resources about - First application using Dolphin - comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin

Miller accused's bail application adjourned until Friday
One of the two men charged with causing the one-punch death of Brisbane teenager Cole Miller will stay behind bars until at least Friday.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa scheme that could allow 200 tech immigrants to ...
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa route that allows 200
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

Toshiba Launches 40V N-ch Low ON-resistance Power MOSFET for Automotive Applications
Toshiba launched a 40V N-ch power MOSFET, &quot;TKR74F04PB,&quot; for automobile applications, including DC-DC converters, high capacity motor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 17% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Mortgage Applications Increase as Rates Fall in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 9.0 percent ...

Mortgage applications up 8.8%
Defying expectations for the start of 2016, mortgage rates spiraled down further last week, spurring more applications.

The USPTO updates their refusal of Sony's 'Let's Play' trademark application
... and Trademarks Office shot them down. What was interesting was the USPTO’s justification for doing so. They didn’t originally deny the application ...

Digitimes Research: Non-gaming VR applications showcased at CES 2016
VR (virtual reality) devices showcased at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) highlighted many applications beyond gaming to include education, ...