Intelli-Dolphin on Dolphin X6 CE

Hi,

I've installed Intelli-Dolphin on a vanilla DX6 CE image, and the
Default view of the class browser shows a black rectangle as the
background of the added checkbox for viewing inherited methods.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

I use WinXP MUI SP2.

Regards,

--
Esteban.
0

Unfortunately this is a known problem - it is apparently related to how
the Dolphin Gui editor renders widgets - or something like that (I was
pointed to the OA Blog entry "what you see is not always what you get:
http://www.object-arts.com/content/blog/2005Dec14-BSM.html).

There is a workaround (and maybe you know another one - as you seem
quite handy on Windows hard core stuff).

# The "Show Inherited Methods" checkbox can appear as a black box. This
appears to be a problem with how Dolphin handles some XP Desktop
Themes. The workaround is to adjust your theme to use the "Windows
classic style" for Windows and Buttons in the Appearance tab of Display
properties

The alternative is to execute: IntelliDolphin unadjustDefaultViews
(which will restore the old view without the inheritence checkbox). Or
more permanently edit IntelliDolphin #initialize and comment out:
patchBrowsersForShowInherited.

As there is a button in the toolbar to show inherited, you might not
want that one anyway. I quite like it because it sits next to the
class/instance radio buttons which is the first place I look for all
things related to that methods list. The checkbox also has an Alt-R
keyboard mnemonic (which the toolbar icon doesn't).

If anyone knows how to fix it - I would love a workaround (or if you
know how to put a mnemonic on the toolbar icon, or can think of
something else that could sit next to the radio buttons - contributions
gladly accepted).

Tim

0
TimM
2/8/2006 10:49:53 AM
"TimM" <365nice@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately this is a known problem - it is apparently related to how
> the Dolphin Gui editor renders widgets - or something like that (I was
> pointed to the OA Blog entry "what you see is not always what you get:
> http://www.object-arts.com/content/blog/2005Dec14-BSM.html).

That certainly explains why certain things don't paint correctly in the view
composer, but in this case its more to do with the fact that the checkboxes
just don't work correctly on top of one of our gradient filled toolbars.

> There is a workaround (and maybe you know another one - as you seem
> quite handy on Windows hard core stuff).
>
> # The "Show Inherited Methods" checkbox can appear as a black box. This
> appears to be a problem with how Dolphin handles some XP Desktop
> Themes. ...

Toolbars are a bit odd with the way they paint their background,
particularly when themed. We are only using a toolbar as the container in
this case because they have handy layout properties (wrapping to multiple
lines when insufficient horizontal space is available), and because we'd
implemented a gradient fill for them. We simply didn't test the case of
using a checkbox, because we were only using radio buttons. Its a bit
surprising that checkboxes don't work as radio buttons do (since they are
all actually implemented by the same Windows button control), but that's the
way it is.

>...The workaround is to adjust your theme to use the "Windows
> classic style" for Windows and Buttons in the Appearance tab of Display
> properties
>
> The alternative is to execute: IntelliDolphin unadjustDefaultViews
> (which will restore the old view without the inheritence checkbox). Or
> more permanently edit IntelliDolphin #initialize and comment out:
> patchBrowsersForShowInherited.
>
> As there is a button in the toolbar to show inherited, you might not
> want that one anyway. I quite like it because it sits next to the
> class/instance radio buttons which is the first place I look for all
> things related to that methods list. The checkbox also has an Alt-R
> keyboard mnemonic (which the toolbar icon doesn't).
>
> If anyone knows how to fix it - I would love a workaround (or if you
> know how to put a mnemonic on the toolbar icon, or can think of
> something else that could sit next to the radio buttons - contributions
> gladly accepted).

You could just add a shortcut key for the menu/toolbar command. This is
possible without editing the views since you can add your own accelerator
keys, either programmatically, or through the user preferences inspector.
This will have the additional advantage that it won't move the focus to the
mode switch as the Alt mnemonics do.

Regards

Blair

0
Blair
2/8/2006 9:25:36 PM
TimM wrote:
> If anyone knows how to fix it - I would love a workaround (or if you
> know how to put a mnemonic on the toolbar icon, or can think of
> something else that could sit next to the radio buttons - contributions
> gladly accepted).
I'm having some code here which dynamically adds toolbar buttons to
classbrowsers. If this might be of any use for you I could wrap it up
and send it over.

CU,

Udo
0
Udo

Dolphin on Linux (was: Dolphin and Wine)
David Gorisek escribi�: > I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. > > Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web > applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. How does it perform? Regards, -- Esteban. Esteban A. Maringolo wrote: > David Gorisek escribi�: >> I have good news for everyone running Dolphin server applications. >> >> Our WikiDoc executable runs on Wine without problems. So web >> applications in Dolphin should do fine on Linux/Wine. > > How does it perform? &...

Dolphin Smalltalk X6 Released
Folks, Well we made it! Only a week late (or a year depending on who's counting). The new website is up and the product is ready for those of you keen enough to upgrade. I'd like to mention a couple of important points. We have rationalised the Dolphin products set into two products. We now only provide a single commercial product, Dolphin Professional and we will have a free version called Dolphin Community Edition. You will find that the latter actually has quite a lot more stuff in it than the old Value Edition. However, at the moment the Community Edition and a trial...

Dolphin Smalltalk X6 Released
Folks, Well we made it! Only a week late (or a year depending on who's counting). The new website is up and the product is ready for those of you keen enough to upgrade. I'd like to mention a couple of important points. We have rationalised the Dolphin products set into two products. We now only provide a single commercial product, Dolphin Professional and we will have a free version called Dolphin Community Edition. You will find that the latter actually has quite a lot more stuff in it than the old Value Edition. However, at the moment the Community Edition and a trial...

Why Smalltalk? Why Dolphin?
Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. TIA, Steve Den tirsdag den 21. april 2015 kl. 18.29.30 UTC+2 skrev Steve Graham: > Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems > to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you > can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. > > TIA, Steve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOsS-vD-XA There are several other wideos on ObjectArts site ...

What are you doing with Dolphin?
I remember there was a interesting thread likes 'What are you doing with Lisp?' in comp.lang.lisp. Now, It's dolphin version. What are you doing with Dolphin smalltalk? Are you happy with dolphin? : ) On 6 Apr 2005 22:54:19 -0700, showoo22@hanmail.net (Dolphin) wrote: >I remember there was a interesting thread likes 'What are you doing >with Lisp?' in comp.lang.lisp. > >Now, It's dolphin version. What are you doing with Dolphin smalltalk? Learning and annoying Ian and Bill with newbie questions. ;-) >Are you happy with dolphin? : ) ...

Dolphin Smalltalk X6 Application starts very slowly
Hi. I'm new in Dolphin Smalltalk X6, not in Smalltalk. When I start the application by clicking the generated image after installation, it takes 30 seconds or 1 minute to start on my P4/3.4GHz laptop with 1Gb Ram under Windows XP Pro with all security patches. During startup, my mouse moves by steps and not fluently... Processors are near 100% of power consumption. I've tried the same image on my fix PC (512Mb/P4 3Ghz) and then it starts very fast. After startup, Dolphin runs normally on the two configuration. Any idea? Thanks a lot. Eric. "informagicien&q...

Important notice for purchasers of Dolphin Smalltalk X6
If you've downloaded and installed Dolphin X6 you must also download and manually install the following file: http://object-arts.com/lib/update/Dolphin/6.0/Professional/Dolphin.exe.manifest The file needs to be saved into the Dolphin installation directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk 6.0). If this file is missing the icons in the system folder and toolbars will be surrounded by black shadows and look very poor, and list views in certain tools (e.g. the View Browser) may not paint correctly and behave strangely. Users on the beta programme should ...

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

CUSTOM WINDOW CREATION IN DOLPHIN X6 CE UNDER WINDOWS 7 64 BIT
AS A NEWBIE TO X6 SE BUT HAVING EXPERIENCE OF SMALLTALK VIA DIGITALK V 286 MANY MOONS AGO, I AM ATTEMPTING TO RE-CREATE AN APPLICATION DEVELOPED UNDER V 286 BY INSTALLING THE METHODS INTO THE X6 IMAGE. THIS HAS BEEN LARGELY SUCCESSFUL UNTIL IT CAME TO THE METHOD FOR THE CUSTOM WINDOW WHICH WAS QUITE EASY TO IMPLEMENT UNDER V 286 WITH A SINGLE METHOD USING THE TOP-PANE / LIST-PANE / TEXT-PANE MODEL COMMUNICATING WITH A DOS FILE FOR INPUT. HOWEVER THIS MODEL DOES NOT EXIST IN X6 SE AND GETTING TO GRIPS WITH THE DOLPHIN MODUS OPERANDI IS PROVING DAUNTING. I SUSPECT IT IS TO DO WITH THE M...

[ANN] WikiDoc source code available to everyone who owns Dolphin Smalltalk X6 Professional
Hello all, as already mentioned before we have finally released WikiDoc as source code for Dolphin Smalltalk X6 professional. The source code is available as STP project export so it will only work with Dolphin Smalltalk X6 Professional (licensed version). WikiDoc is an example of a web application written in Dolphin using OmniBase. WikiDoc can be used as a CMS for building web sites or for handling internal documentation. WikiDoc has the following features: -support for WikiPedia compatible markup syntax, -WYSIWYG style HTML page editing, -full text search support, -hi...

Intelli-Dolphin bug
Tim, I've found a bug in ID when I use the autocompletion feature with a two args keyword selector when the method edited isn't part of a compiled method (i.e. it has no source yet). For example, write the following on a workspace: Dictionary new "follow the following steps" 1. select the selector #at:ifAbsent: 2. complete the first argument 3. Press TAB This will raise a MNU exception, because the expected receiver isn't a compiled method (or any object polimorphic). Regards, -- Esteban. Hmmm I can't reproduce this in the non CE version ...

Which version of Dolphin X6?
Hello all Although I subscribed to Dolphin X6 when it first appeared, I have not used it really extensively. My one heavily-used app was written in D5.1.4, and I have never felt the need to translate to D6. I have had the original version of D6 I downloaded, which identifies itself as 'Professional 6.0 PL1', and I have never troubled to update. I have used it quite often for small projects, mostly just carried out in a workspace, and it seems to do what I need. However, I wanted to install Dolphin on my newly-acquired laptop, and I was faced with deciding which of t...

Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux...
Think there will ever be a Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux? In particular, on 64-bit Linux? ...

Dolphin Smalltalk News
Folks, Object Arts are pleased to announce that over the last few months we have entered into a partnership with Lesser Software (www.lesser-software.com) with the aim of creating the Next Generation of Dolphin Smalltalk. This new version of Dolphin will be targetted towards professional software developers and will leverage the experience that Lesser Software have built up over a number of years in high performance Smalltalk virtual machines and development tools. Lesser Software's current product set includes LSW Vision Smalltalk, whose virtual machine retains full by...

Web resources about - Intelli-Dolphin on Dolphin X6 CE - comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin