JDBC connection

Hi all,

Is it possible to connect to an Oracle datasource using JDBC driver in
Dolphin?

Thanks,
Catalin Aramescu, Romania
comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin 3769 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Catalin,

> Is it possible to connect to an Oracle datasource using JDBC driver in
> Dolphin?
Any reason why you want to use JDBC? Even if it is possible you still
have the Smalltalk<->Java<->JDBC<->Oracle overhead.

Why not use ODBC directly. IMHO Dolphin has one of the best ODBC
wrappers of all Windows languages.

CU,

Udo
0
Udo
12/21/2009 2:30:33 PM
On Dec 21, 4:30=A0pm, Udo Schneider <Udo.Schnei...@homeaddress.de>
wrote:

Hi Udo,

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that you cannot use the full set of SQL
DDL statements with ODBC.
I work in a project named DBArtisan, that is multiplatform data source
manager (Oracle, DB2, zOS, Sybase, SQL Server, etc) used mainly to
manage the schema of data sources (edit, extract, migrate)
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/dbartisan
The connection are made through various drivers including JDBC.
I want to know if there is possible to write a similar application in
Dolphin.

Regards,
Catalin

0
Catalin
12/21/2009 3:14:14 PM
Catalin,

> Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that you cannot use the full set of SQL
> DDL statements with ODBC.
Ok - I wasn't aware of that. Always learning something new here.

Do you have an example?

> I work in a project named DBArtisan, that is multiplatform data source
> manager (Oracle, DB2, zOS, Sybase, SQL Server, etc) used mainly to
> manage the schema of data sources (edit, extract, migrate)
> http://www.embarcadero.com/products/dbartisan
Interesting page!

> The connection are made through various drivers including JDBC.
So if JDBC is working you might want to use JNIPort for Dolphin. It's
quite complex but should allow you to call any Java could you like from
Dolphin.

Maybe another alternative might be SqueakDBX
(http://www.squeakdbx.org/seaside/squeakdbx). It's a wrapper around the
native Client Libraries of some DBs based on OpenDBX
(http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX).

There are some information about a Dolphin port on
http://www.squeakdbx.org/ports - however I'm not sure about it' status.

CU,

Udo
0
Udo
12/21/2009 5:27:17 PM
Udo,

Thanks for the replies. I think that with the ODBC you cannot see all
the database objects, except tables, view, procedures and triggers.
But this is only a detail in this moment.
I'm very new with Dolphin and Smalltalk in general, although I read
quite a few books about Smalltalk (especially about Visual Works). My
aim is to be able to write an application with a complexity compared
to DBArtisan, but no "over the night". There are claims that Smalltalk
cannot support big applications, and I searched the net to see what
can be achieved with Dolphin in this respect, but I didn't see
something noticeable except maybe an application for Argentine army.
I want to embark to a journey on learning Dolphin, and the best way to
do this is by setting a big goal, but I want to be sure that someone
can create with Smalltalk the same applications as in Visual Studio
(for ex. MDI applications, with tabbed windows, dockable and
customizable toolbars, context dependent menus, etc). For MFC there is
Jeff Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC" and anybody can start to
understand the framework and can get a picture of what he can do, but
I don't know if there is a such a book for Dolphin. Andy's videos are
ok, but they are only like an "advertising" for Dolphin. I want to
learn how to write a classic Windows application not to pay some
tricks. Ted Bracht' "The Dolphin Smalltalk Companion" seems to be
outdated (I didn't read it, it's what I red on forums), and reading
the table of contents I would say it doesn't present the classic
Windows application style.
You are a seasoned Smalltalk programmer (you have a lot of posts an
this forum) and your advices would help me a lot.

Thanks and regards,
Catalin
0
Catalin
12/21/2009 8:56:48 PM
I use Dolphin since 1999 and i built a lot of different applications
with Dolphin, no problems so far.
To me Dolphin is far better than Visual Studio.

I think others Smalltalkers in the list can talk about their
applications.

If want to learn you can put your answer here in the list, we are
willing to help.

Regards,
Bruno
0