JDBC connection

Hi all,

Is it possible to connect to an Oracle datasource using JDBC driver in
Dolphin?

Thanks,
Catalin Aramescu, Romania
comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin 3708 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Catalin,

> Is it possible to connect to an Oracle datasource using JDBC driver in
> Dolphin?
Any reason why you want to use JDBC? Even if it is possible you still
have the Smalltalk<->Java<->JDBC<->Oracle overhead.

Why not use ODBC directly. IMHO Dolphin has one of the best ODBC
wrappers of all Windows languages.

CU,

Udo
0
Udo
12/21/2009 2:30:33 PM
On Dec 21, 4:30=A0pm, Udo Schneider <Udo.Schnei...@homeaddress.de>
wrote:

Hi Udo,

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that you cannot use the full set of SQL
DDL statements with ODBC.
I work in a project named DBArtisan, that is multiplatform data source
manager (Oracle, DB2, zOS, Sybase, SQL Server, etc) used mainly to
manage the schema of data sources (edit, extract, migrate)
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/dbartisan
The connection are made through various drivers including JDBC.
I want to know if there is possible to write a similar application in
Dolphin.

Regards,
Catalin

0
Catalin
12/21/2009 3:14:14 PM
Catalin,

> Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that you cannot use the full set of SQL
> DDL statements with ODBC.
Ok - I wasn't aware of that. Always learning something new here.

Do you have an example?

> I work in a project named DBArtisan, that is multiplatform data source
> manager (Oracle, DB2, zOS, Sybase, SQL Server, etc) used mainly to
> manage the schema of data sources (edit, extract, migrate)
> http://www.embarcadero.com/products/dbartisan
Interesting page!

> The connection are made through various drivers including JDBC.
So if JDBC is working you might want to use JNIPort for Dolphin. It's
quite complex but should allow you to call any Java could you like from
Dolphin.

Maybe another alternative might be SqueakDBX
(http://www.squeakdbx.org/seaside/squeakdbx). It's a wrapper around the
native Client Libraries of some DBs based on OpenDBX
(http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX).

There are some information about a Dolphin port on
http://www.squeakdbx.org/ports - however I'm not sure about it' status.

CU,

Udo
0
Udo
12/21/2009 5:27:17 PM
Udo,

Thanks for the replies. I think that with the ODBC you cannot see all
the database objects, except tables, view, procedures and triggers.
But this is only a detail in this moment.
I'm very new with Dolphin and Smalltalk in general, although I read
quite a few books about Smalltalk (especially about Visual Works). My
aim is to be able to write an application with a complexity compared
to DBArtisan, but no "over the night". There are claims that Smalltalk
cannot support big applications, and I searched the net to see what
can be achieved with Dolphin in this respect, but I didn't see
something noticeable except maybe an application for Argentine army.
I want to embark to a journey on learning Dolphin, and the best way to
do this is by setting a big goal, but I want to be sure that someone
can create with Smalltalk the same applications as in Visual Studio
(for ex. MDI applications, with tabbed windows, dockable and
customizable toolbars, context dependent menus, etc). For MFC there is
Jeff Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC" and anybody can start to
understand the framework and can get a picture of what he can do, but
I don't know if there is a such a book for Dolphin. Andy's videos are
ok, but they are only like an "advertising" for Dolphin. I want to
learn how to write a classic Windows application not to pay some
tricks. Ted Bracht' "The Dolphin Smalltalk Companion" seems to be
outdated (I didn't read it, it's what I red on forums), and reading
the table of contents I would say it doesn't present the classic
Windows application style.
You are a seasoned Smalltalk programmer (you have a lot of posts an
this forum) and your advices would help me a lot.

Thanks and regards,
Catalin
0
Catalin
12/21/2009 8:56:48 PM
I use Dolphin since 1999 and i built a lot of different applications
with Dolphin, no problems so far.
To me Dolphin is far better than Visual Studio.

I think others Smalltalkers in the list can talk about their
applications.

If want to learn you can put your answer here in the list, we are
willing to help.

Regards,
Bruno
0
Bruno
Similar artilces about - JDBC connection:

m-connectivity
What is the benefit of "m-connectivity" in image processing? Thanks. On Feb 17, 3:29=A0am, "Abder-Rahman" <abder.rahman....@gmail.com> wrote: > What is the benefit of "m-connectivity" in image processing? > > Thanks. http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/302858#819400 ...

Oracle JDBC XA question
Hello, While using the Oracle (Java)XA interfaces, I came across this situation- 1. Start a transaction, enlist the connection in it (Effectively get an XAConnection from an XADataSource, get the XAresource and call start on it with some Xid). 2. Perform some DB operations/queries on the java.sql.Connection obtained from the XAConnection. 3. End the transaction (not commit it, just xaresource.end) - with flag TM_SUCCESS 4. Perform some other operations/queries on the same JDBC connection as in 2. Operation (4) fails with the error - java.sql.SQLException: Not in a transaction. Now my q...

Struts db connection issue
Hi , I am trying to connect to Sybase from Struts by configuring the struts-config. But when i try to load application page that connects to database I get the following error [Servlet Error]-[action]: Failed to load servlet: javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Initializing application data source org.apache.struts.action.DATA_SOURCE at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModuleDataSources(ActionServlet.java:1091) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:472) at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:258) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.St...

Certain spam emails now cause Comcast to terminate connection
Is anyone else seeing this? Over the past couple of weeks, I find that when downloading email with Outlook Express, (latest version - Windows XP), the connection will terminate at some point in the download with "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes.... Account: Server: Protocol: POP3 Server Response: "+OK" Port: 110 Secure (SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F. I can then go to Comcast's web mail interface, count to the message number, it's spam, delete it, and the download moves past it. 1. It's not all spam ...

PostgreSQL not working in network environmentThe port 5432, and also net access, is enabled in the conf files but only local works (JDBC nor PHP do not work). My pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf are
I use Fedora Core 2. The port 5432, and also net access, is enabled in the conf files but only local works (JDBC nor PHP do not work). My pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf are available at http://www.krl.it/~mune/personal/conf/pg_hba.conf and http://www.krl.it/~mune/personal/conf/postgresql.conf They seem correct to me. Do you find anything wrong? Thanks Fede ------------------------------------------------------------------------- mune at ieee.org Ing. Federico Munerotto home http://www.krl.it/~mune -------------------------------------------------...

Program called "Internet Connect" keeps booting me
I have looked in the preferences and eveything and i do not know how to turn this off, should I and can I delete it? or is there a way to stop this without deletion of the 2 programs * posted via http://mymac.ws In article <41bcc31c$1_2@alt.athenanews.com>, Blade10879 <Blade10879@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > I have looked in the preferences and eveything and i do not know how > to turn this off, should I and can I delete it? or is there a way to > stop this without deletion of the 2 programs you didn't look very hard system preferences/network panel pick...

Connect my PC to a terminal
Hello, I'd like to connect my PC to an old serial terminal (Hazeltine Diablo 3200)and I don't know how to do it. I think I need a comm program, I already have hyperterminal, then the cable: will a DB9-DB25 nullmodem cable work? Thanks in advance Andrea -- http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Andrea wrote: > I'd like to connect my PC to an old serial terminal (Hazeltine > Diablo 3200)and I don't know how to do it. I think I need a comm > program, I already have hyperterminal, then the cable: will a > DB9-DB25 nullmodem ca...

ATM Point-to-Multipoint connectivity
Hi I've got three Cisco 7200VXR connected via ATM OC3 links to Catalyst 8510MSR (acting as ATM Switch only). I'd like to configure ATM cloud where each 7200 will see each other using only one subinterface and one ATM PVC from each 7200VXR to ATM Switch. Is this possible ? I know that on 7200s I must configure point-to-multipoint connection instead of point-to-point connection. But how configure my ATM Switch ? Vladimir Grawecki ...

outbound connection hangs after STARTTLS command? problem with default sendmail certs?
I'm seeing something where if I telnet from my VPS to port 25 on any remote= mail server (gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com, mta5.am0.yahoodns.net, or mx1.hot= mail.com for example), and type "EHLO test" (because EHLO is required befor= e the STARTTLS command), followed by "starttls", the connection appears to = hang and I get no response. Whereas if I start from any of my other VPSs o= r dedicated servers hosted at other providers, and do the same thing, telne= t to port 25 on a mail server and do "EHLO test" and then "starttls", I get= a respons...

Bug in JDBC Driver with use of Bulk Insert and Money Data Type
In continuation of my previous posts (which might have been lost), I have discovered that when setting IFX_USEPUT=1 , money type fields in inserts which are assigned a NULL value may get a previous non-null value. Here is a Java program that demonstrates the bug: package testcase; import java.math.BigDecimal; import java.sql.Connection; import java.sql.Driver; import java.sql.DriverManager; import java.sql.PreparedStatement; import java.sql.SQLException; import java.sql.Statement; import java.util.Properties; public class BigDecimalBug { public static void main(String[] a...

W2K SP4 breaks connectivity with DOS servers
When dealing with this recent virus/worm outbreak, we updated several computers to Windows2000 SP4. Unfortunately, we found out that this breaks connectivity to DOS servers -- systems running Microsoft TCP/IP for DOS with the Workgroup Add-on. This connectivity was working in Windows2000 SP3 and earlier -- the DOS machines's shares weren't browsable but mapping the drives on the W2K side worked fine. I would be the first to say dump the old DOS machines, but these machines control data collection instruments. The software is not compatible with Windows and the newer softwa...

ANN: Simple components v3.22 multiple connections servers support
This version provides support for designing multiple connections TCP/IP servers. The connections are handled by one task. Although servers backed by a pool of working tasks are supported too. The server uses socket-select for socket I/O (based on GNAT.Sockets). Since programming a state machine parsing incoming packets is difficult, the library eases that. You simply put types representing elements of the packet into the custom connection type like this: type My_Protocol is new State_Machine is record Header : Big_Endian.Unsigneds.Usigned_16_Data_Item; Value : Big...

CSocket:connect
Hi, I have some troubles with CSocket. My application sometimes hangs on the call to the method "Connect". Here is a snippet of my code: oSocket := CSocket{SOCK_STREAM} oSocket:TimeOut:=10 lRet:=FALSE IF oSocket:connect( cHost, iPort) SELF:ScriviLog("Connessione al socket effettuata") cData :="some text" IF oSocket:SendLine(cData) > 0 lRet:=TRUE ENDIF SELF:ScriviLog("Disconnessione") oSocket:Disconnect() ENDIF This block is inside a "while" loop in order to handle the unavailability of the server. T...

OracleXE and Designer connection problem
Hi all, I'm a very newbie in Oracle. I've installed the latest OracleXE server and created a new user and some simple tables. Next, I installed in the same machine the Oracle Developer Suite, including Oracle Designer. But when I launch Designer, I can't pass the login screen as I do not know what to put in the "Connect string" field. I've tried with "127.0.0.1" which results in a ORA-12514 error (The SERVICE_NAME in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the listener's tables.) The contents of the relevant server configuration files at C:...

DB / Jdbc / Java encoding problem
Greetings! I'm having problems with encoding conversion. Jdbc returns unknown character for any character like =C4=8C=C4=87=C5=A0=C5=A1=C4=90=C4=91=C5=BD= =C5=BE . Is there any chance to force jdbc to get raw data (without any conversion) into Java? Or do you suggest any other solution? Many thanks, Mario Ecimovic, Croatia ...

JDBC settings
Where can I find JDBC settings for using Ingress with JBoss and Borland JBuilder (dbpilot)? Roland, In http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,23173,00.html you can see how to make a driver available to Jbuilder DBPilot (the former JDBC explorer). After that you only have to fill the driver class name and the Url for connection in DBPilot. About Jboss i do not know exactly how it can be done. Surely there must be some kind of admin tool, that makes the proper changes in the server.xml file of the web server for you. If not, take a look at how a datasource is defined and used in ...

ugh, how do I ctrl-C out of a connection to a remote server when I'm done?
Sometimes in an SSH window, I will try and connect to another host on port 80 or 25, to see what happens if I send a request consisting of certain headers, and what response the server sends back. The problem is -- and this seems like a real newbie question, but nothing I have tried works -- is that once I'm done getting the response back, sometimes the remote server doesn't close the connection, and nothing I do on my end - Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z, or whatever -- causes the connection to close. What do I press to make the connection close, so that I get my shell prompt back? (I am a...

JDBC question ?
I have one question. Look at this example: try{ CallableStatement stmt1 = conn.prepareCall("{call ADDNEWRECORD}"); CallableStatement stmt2 = conn.prepareCall("{call DELETERECORD}"); stmt1.execute(); stmt2.execute(); }catch(SQLException e1){} finally{ try{ if(stmt1!=null || stmt2!=null) { stmt1.close(); line 10 stmt2.close(); } if(null!=conn){ conn.close(); ...

easy connect string
10gR2, XE regarding the "easy connect string": $ sqlplus klabu/mypw@//xebox:1521/xe Is there a way to use it WITHOUT entering password in the visible command line ? thanks On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:30:57 -0400, "klabu" <nosuchuser_at_gmail_dot_com> wrote: >10gR2, XE > >regarding the "easy connect string": >$ sqlplus klabu/mypw@//xebox:1521/xe > >Is there a way to use it WITHOUT entering password in the visible command >line ? The following is how to do it; it's certainly not the first thing that comes to mind though. Basical...

New Connection pooling => Apache Connects Maxing out ?
Hello, With some great help from this list the other night I implemented connection pooling on Tomcat using the commons-dbcp package. I am using Tomcat 4.0.4 That seemed to work fine and there are no problems in testing but as soon as I put it live the number of Apache processes rockets through the roof and apache stops accepting connections. The log file says "MaxClients" reached. This was no problem as MaxClients was set to 20 which was fine with the old (non connection pooling) .war file. So I set up MaxClients to 256 and restarted, now the problem happens agai...

connecting to machine on another subdomain on same network
I have a WindowsXP (Home) machine with a shared folder. I can mount it: mount -t cifs //192.168.0.13/pa /media/chipperpa -o guest from other Linux machines on the same subdomain. However, what I really need to do is have this Fedora Core 7 machine on a different subdomain on the same network connect to it. Thing is, it just times out when trying to connect to it, even ping it. I did a Google and didn't come up with anything that seems directly relevant. I know it has less to do with the machines themselves and more to do with router/firewall settings. (Using IPCop 1.4.15). But I can...

HTTP and Connection header
Hello, As a first read of HTTP/1.1 protocol, I have a question regarding presistent connections. HTTP/1.1 is by default persistent unless one specified Connection: Close So, to request a page: 1)connect to server 2)write the request header: GET http://site.com/page.htm Host: site.com 3)Read response, which my look like: HTTP/1.1 200 OK Content-Length: xxx data goes here.... 4)The client now got the page, and the connection is still open would it directly write another request as the previous one? Then if it wants to close the connection, it would either set Connectio...

jdbc db2 problem with handle image, audio and video
Hello all, I want to handle image, audio and video using jdbc. I have got db2 udb personal edition v.8.1.3 and I don't know what function should I use? StringBuffer sql = new StringBuffer(); sql.append("SELECT picture, voice from employee where id='000001'"); but how to handle image and audio?I want to display and play it later. On db2 AIV extender manual I've found following example: EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION; char hvImg_hdl [251]; char hvAud_hdl [251]; EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION; EXEC SQL SELECT PICTURE, VOICE INTO :hvImg_hdl, :hvAud_hdl ...

Bulk Collects with JDBC
Has anyone been able to use a bulk collect with a stored procedure that returns the results to JDBC? I had to use table%rowtype for a 'select into' in the stored procedure and it is only visible in the package. pat wrote: > Has anyone been able to use a bulk collect with a stored procedure that > returns the results to JDBC? I had to use table%rowtype for a 'select > into' in the stored procedure and it is only visible in the package. There are examples of this in Morgan's Library at http://www.psoug.org click on Ref Cursors scroll down to the heading "Pa...

connection between two block #2
Hi everyone! I just want to ask are there any matlab command or function on how to determine the connection to two blocks? PLease help me. Thank you in advance. ...