Python to Smalltalk Conversion

Has anyone has the experience of porting some python code into
smalltalk? Are there any known web resources on this?  Tools?
Language mapping etc?

Thanks,
Steve
0
Programmer
11/7/2006 4:30:13 PM
comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin 3769 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Programmer wrote:

> Has anyone has the experience of porting some python code into
> smalltalk? Are there any known web resources on this?  Tools?
> Language mapping etc?
>

> Thanks,
> Steve

I know of one still-bortn project to do a Python implementation in
VisualWorks.  It got far along enough that it might be useful to you.
Send me an email with a valid email address, contact info etc and I'll
forward it to the author.

--
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in      Calvin &
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.       Hobbes.

Python from Smalltalk / Smalltalk from Python?
I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with (integrated with) python. But I'd like to do my programming in smalltalk, thank you very much. How much of a hassle is it to connect python and smalltalk for this sort of thing? Anyone else done it? Is there a recommended approach? Tips? Suggestions? Pitfalls? (I have interfaced with C in the past, relatively painlessly, so I'm not a total newbie with this sort of thing) Thanks. pineapple.link@yahoo.com escreveu: > I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with > (integrated with...

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

Why Smalltalk? Why Dolphin?
Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. TIA, Steve Den tirsdag den 21. april 2015 kl. 18.29.30 UTC+2 skrev Steve Graham: > Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems > to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you > can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. > > TIA, Steve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOsS-vD-XA There are several other wideos on ObjectArts site ...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ?
Hi , I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn smalltalk visualworks . I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk visualage smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks are similar or a lot of difference is in them ? Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards . sangwan.satpal@gmail.com wrote: > Hi , > I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I > am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn ...

ANN: Silver Smalltalk
Greetings, Silver Smalltalk is a new Smalltalk-80 dialect which targets the Silverlight browser plugin. Blog is here: http://silversmalltalk.wordpress.com/ Demo site is here (requires Silverlight 3 or higher): http://silversmalltalk.appspot.com/ Cheers ...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

#Smalltalk
Interesting stuff. The implementation page has use useful techniques which could apply to Ruby too. http://www.refactory.com/Software/SharpSmalltalk/ Cheers Dave Hi, In message "#Smalltalk" on 03/12/14, Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> writes: |Interesting stuff. The implementation page has use useful techniques |which could apply to Ruby too. Unfortunately, that technique does not allow closures, which is essential, IMO, in Ruby. But #Smalltalk itself is interesting really. matz. Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote: >Hi, > >In message "#Smalltalk...

RoboCode in Dolphin Smalltalk?
Hi, does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk RoboCode project? G�nther Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > Hi, > > does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk > RoboCode project? > > G�nther Hello G�nther, sounds interesting. Do you want to create a RoboCode-Clone or something which is similar to RoboCode? cu, Yogi Marc Michael wrote: > Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > >> Hi, >> >> does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk >> RoboCode project? >&...

Dolphin Smalltalk News
Folks, Object Arts are pleased to announce that over the last few months we have entered into a partnership with Lesser Software (www.lesser-software.com) with the aim of creating the Next Generation of Dolphin Smalltalk. This new version of Dolphin will be targetted towards professional software developers and will leverage the experience that Lesser Software have built up over a number of years in high performance Smalltalk virtual machines and development tools. Lesser Software's current product set includes LSW Vision Smalltalk, whose virtual machine retains full by...

Raffle for Smalltalkers & Smalltalk Solutions 2006
Precision System Design, Inc. wrote to me as follows: ENTER OUR DRAWING FOR SMALLTALKERS: win an iPod Video or Amazon.com gift$! Anyone can enter our free drawing. To enter, simply fill out this simple form (http://www.precisionsystems.com/SS2006/). We will be giving away: =B7 an Apple iPod Video, 30 GB =3D 150 hours of video =3D 7500 songs!, and =B7 ten Amazon.com gift certificates SEE US AT SMALLTALK SOLUTIONS 2006: April 25 -26 in Toronto! Precision is proud to be an official convention exhibitor. There will be an impressive array of speakers, tutorials, workshops a...

Integrating python with smalltalk
Hi all, sorry if it isn't the right group (and sorry for the cross post, but it's a cross- question :P ), but i'm not sure where to post. I have a python library and i want to be able to call it from smalltalk (the squeak implementation in particular..). I was just wondering if there is a standard mechanism to do it. On windows i know i can create in python a COM server and call it from smalltalk, but i wonder if there is a more general solution (platform independent). thanks for any advice, nelson For a crazy response lets try: Lets find how how we can call Python from Jav...

Smalltalk Conversion Help
Ok I am in desperate need of help. I have a Smalltalk app developed back when the Earth was flat that I need to convert to .Net. I have no experience whatsoever whith Smalltalk. All I really need to know is what the queries to the Informix tables are so that I can replicate the functionality but I have no idea how to open the image files legibly. I tried Squeak 3.7 but the image files appear to have been created using Visual Works Smalltalk 2.5 which of course no longer exists in our company (just like the person who wrote the app). Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated....

Why smalltalk?
I guess it shouldn't appeal to everyone. But I'm having some hard time convincing myself to keep on learning smalltalk in much detail. Instead preferring to focus on lisp-scheme, forth, and to a lesser extent tcl. Here are the reasons. 1. It seems OOP is the main reason d'etre for smalltalk. But it can be done in lisp-scheme, forth, and tcl, and in many different ways too. Considering that there is no one definite way to do OOP, why would I restrict myself to the smalltalk model of doing it when I can have a look at clos, prometheus, xotcl, snit... etc. Those langua...

Web resources about - Python to Smalltalk Conversion - comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin

Gene conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gene conversion is the process by which one DNA sequence replaces a homologous sequence such that the sequences become identical after the conversion ...

Nintendo alters ‘gay conversion’ scene in new video scene
NINTENDO has altered a controversial “gay conversion” scene from a video game that’s already been released in Japan.

Zero tolerance: Andrews to crack down on gay 'conversion' therapy
The state government will attempt to crack down on so-called gay conversion therapy through a new public watchdog with the power to investigate ...

Emphasis Shifts to Conversions Over Clicks for Facebook Advertisers in Q4 2015
... with the lowest eCPC among all ad types and high CTRs. The opposite was true for link ads , however, due to advertisers’ emphasis on conversions ...

Christmas Verse: A tale of conversion or, as Christians view it, re-birth
The Journey of the Magi, T. S. Eliot 'A cold coming we had of it, Just the worst time of the year For a journey, and such a long journey: The ...

Nintendo removes controversial “gay conversion” scene in Fire Emblem: Fates
Nintendo has altered a controversial scene for the western version of Fire Emblem: Fates , a 3DS RPG originally released in Japan last year. ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...

5 Crystal Clear Translation Services That Will Boost WordPress Site Conversions
... scale. A big competitor in India or London could be targeting your local audience in Los Angeles. How Can You Increase eCommerce Conversions ...

​Judge orders N.J. "gay conversion" nonprofit to close
Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing, known as JONAH, ordered to cease operations within 30 days

Eight Christians acquitted of forced conversion in India
Eight Christians who were accused of forcibly converting a Hindu have been acquitted by a court in India according to Asia News.