are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ?

Hi ,
I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I
am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn
smalltalk visualworks .
I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk
visualage

smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks  are similar or a lot of
difference is in them ?
Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards .
0
sangwan
2/20/2008 4:13:22 AM
comp.lang.smalltalk 3549 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

sangwan.satpal@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi ,
> I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I
> am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn
> smalltalk visualworks .
> I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk
> visualage
>
> smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks  are similar or a lot of
> difference is in them ?
> Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards .

The language is the same.

The libraries are different (e.g. file manipulation is different).

The UI layer is different.

The IDE tools are different.

The code versioning systems are different.

So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
limited by the time you move to VisualAge.

I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
them to hook you up with a VA trainer.

Success!

Reinout
-------
0
Reinout
2/20/2008 10:58:04 AM
Reinout Heeck wrote:

> The language is the same.
> The libraries are different (e.g. file manipulation is different).
> The UI layer is different.
> The IDE tools are different.
> The code versioning systems are different.

All agreed.  But I have no idea how that leads to the following:

> So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
> limited by the time you move to VisualAge.
> I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
> them to hook you up with a VA trainer.

What does that first sentence mean?  I first thought you might be saying
that VA isn't good for production work.  But with the second sentence
there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help.  Is that
concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?
--
Wayne Johnston
0
Wayne Johnston <junk@wayneAtTheJohnstonsDotCom.junk> wrote:

> Reinout Heeck wrote:
>
> > The language is the same.
> > The libraries are different (e.g. file manipulation is different).
> > The UI layer is different.
> > The IDE tools are different.
> > The code versioning systems are different.
>
> All agreed.  But I have no idea how that leads to the following:
>
> > So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
> > limited by the time you move to VisualAge.
> > I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
> > them to hook you up with a VA trainer.
>
> What does that first sentence mean?  I first thought you might be saying
> that VA isn't good for production work.  But with the second sentence
> there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
> that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help.  Is that
> concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?

I'd guess it's more like working on PostgreSQL after learning MSSQL.
There are enough similarities to fire up memories of how things used to
work and enough differences to not produce the results you expect.

If the OP had asked the other direction, Reinout's answer would
probably hold just the same (substituting VW for VA of course).

s.
0
Stefan
2/22/2008 12:41:27 AM
Wayne Johnston wrote:
>> So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
>> limited by the time you move to VisualAge.
>> I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
>> them to hook you up with a VA trainer.
>
> What does that first sentence mean?  I first thought you might be saying
> that VA isn't good for production work.  But with the second sentence
> there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
> that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help.  Is that
> concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?

No, not longer. Just that a lot of the training done on VisualWorks
needs to be re-done if you move to VisualAge.

I wrote this assuming that he would be trained on VisualWorks and then
would have to study VisualAge by himself which would be much slower than
being trained..

-
0
Reinout
2/22/2008 8:34:17 AM
Reinout Heeck wrote:
> Just that a lot of the training done on VisualWorks
> needs to be re-done if you move to VisualAge.

Sorry, I read the initial question wrong.
--
Wayne
0
sangwan.satpal@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi ,
> I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I
> am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn
> smalltalk visualworks .
> I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk
> visualage
>
> smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks  are similar or a lot of
> difference is in them ?
> Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards .

I have given courses to an audience with mixed VisualWorks and VisualAge
  Smalltalk developers.  The first 2.5 days of the 5 day course covered
all the same material but for the last half, I had to present one first
and while they worked on hands-on exercises, present the other then
alternate back and forth.  In hindsight, I don't think I'd want to do
that again.

It's better if you can get training in your own dialect if you go beyond
the basics of Smalltalk and the Smalltalk libraries.

David Buck
Simberon Inc.
www.simberon.com
0
David
2/22/2008 4:20:34 PM
> What does that first sentence mean?  I first thought you might be saying
> that VA isn't good for production work.  But with the second sentence
> there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
> that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help.  Is that
> concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?

no. in fact, I think the GUI stuff is much easier in VA...
0
Joachim

Smalltalk using visualworks is a good ramp up to visualage Smalltalk or not
Hello, I have been learning Smalltalk via visualworks. I would like to know if learning Smalltalk using visualworks is a good ramp up to visualage Smalltalk or should I stop learning with visualworks and go directly to visualage Smalltalk? smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks are similar or a lot of difference is there ? Thanks, Satpal Satpal, having used both I'd say you should decide to learn Smalltalk by using the one you will use later, because, as Reinout stated before, there is a lot of similarity between the two, but also a huge set of differen...

Python from Smalltalk / Smalltalk from Python?
I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with (integrated with) python. But I'd like to do my programming in smalltalk, thank you very much. How much of a hassle is it to connect python and smalltalk for this sort of thing? Anyone else done it? Is there a recommended approach? Tips? Suggestions? Pitfalls? (I have interfaced with C in the past, relatively painlessly, so I'm not a total newbie with this sort of thing) Thanks. pineapple.link@yahoo.com escreveu: > I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with > (integrated with...

Two Books: Art and Science of Smalltalk and Smalltalk: An Introduction to Application Development Using VisualWorks
Hi, perhaps somebody is interested on the following books: - Smalltalk: An Introduction to Application Development Using VisualWorks by Trevor Hopkins, Bernard Horan, ISBN: 0-13-318387-4 and - Art and Science of Smalltalk, by Simon Lewis, ISBN: 0-13-371345-8 I will give them away. Kind regards Manfred Manfred, > perhaps somebody is interested on the following books: If you don't mind I would love to get them. How do we proceed? Regards, Udo Hi Manfred > I will give them away. Thanks for your generous offer. I have both books. For those who do not, they a...

Two Books: Art and Science of Smalltalk and Smalltalk: An Introduction to Application Development Using VisualWorks
Hi, perhaps somebody is interested on the following books: - Smalltalk: An Introduction to Application Development Using VisualWorks by Trevor Hopkins, Bernard Horan, ISBN: 0-13-318387-4 and - Art and Science of Smalltalk, by Simon Lewis, ISBN: 0-13-371345-8 I will give them away. Kind regards Manfred Words to the wise, antwort-frage@gmx.de wrote: >Hi, >perhaps somebody is interested on the following books: >- Smalltalk: An Introduction to Application Development Using >VisualWorks >by Trevor Hopkins, Bernard Horan, ISBN: 0-13-318387-4 >and >- Art and...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

ANN: Silver Smalltalk
Greetings, Silver Smalltalk is a new Smalltalk-80 dialect which targets the Silverlight browser plugin. Blog is here: http://silversmalltalk.wordpress.com/ Demo site is here (requires Silverlight 3 or higher): http://silversmalltalk.appspot.com/ Cheers ...

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

[ANN] SWIG for Smalltalk -- Merry Xmas Smalltalk!!
See: http://commonsmalltalk.wikispaces.com/ Enjoy! Ian --- http://www.upright.net/ian/ Ian Upright schrieb: > See: > > http://commonsmalltalk.wikispaces.com/ > > Enjoy! > > Ian > > --- > http://www.upright.net/ian/ As I understand you also work on a VA port ? Marten Marten Feldtmann <marten@toppoint.de> wrote: >Ian Upright schrieb: >> See: >> >> http://commonsmalltalk.wikispaces.com/ >> >> Enjoy! >> >> Ian >> >> --- >> http://www.upright.n...

Why smalltalk?
I guess it shouldn't appeal to everyone. But I'm having some hard time convincing myself to keep on learning smalltalk in much detail. Instead preferring to focus on lisp-scheme, forth, and to a lesser extent tcl. Here are the reasons. 1. It seems OOP is the main reason d'etre for smalltalk. But it can be done in lisp-scheme, forth, and tcl, and in many different ways too. Considering that there is no one definite way to do OOP, why would I restrict myself to the smalltalk model of doing it when I can have a look at clos, prometheus, xotcl, snit... etc. Those langua...

Smalltalkers
You may enter your localization at: http://www.frappr.com/smalltalkusers Marten Marten Feldtman wrote: > You may enter your localization at: > > http://www.frappr.com/smalltalkusers There's also: http://www.frappr.com/squeak Yanni Chiu schrieb: > Marten Feldtman wrote: > >> You may enter your localization at: >> >> http://www.frappr.com/smalltalkusers > > > There's also: > > http://www.frappr.com/squeak Yes, I've seen this before ... but I would like to have ...

New smalltalk website and Smalltalk activities in Barcelona
Hi, My name is Jordi Delgado and I am an associate professor at the Software Dept. of the Technical University of Catalonia (http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~jdelgado). I have translated to Catalan prof. Ducasse's book on the Botsinc system and I have been giving Botsinc and Smalltalk courses for almost a year now. The Smalltalk course is now a free elective course in our undergraduate Computer Science degree at the Barcelona School of Informatics. You can find information on our activities in the new smalltalk site: http://smalltalk.cat though the *entire site* is in catalan,...

Raffle for Smalltalkers & Smalltalk Solutions 2006
Precision System Design, Inc. wrote to me as follows: ENTER OUR DRAWING FOR SMALLTALKERS: win an iPod Video or Amazon.com gift$! Anyone can enter our free drawing. To enter, simply fill out this simple form (http://www.precisionsystems.com/SS2006/). We will be giving away: =B7 an Apple iPod Video, 30 GB =3D 150 hours of video =3D 7500 songs!, and =B7 ten Amazon.com gift certificates SEE US AT SMALLTALK SOLUTIONS 2006: April 25 -26 in Toronto! Precision is proud to be an official convention exhibitor. There will be an impressive array of speakers, tutorials, workshops a...

#Smalltalk
Interesting stuff. The implementation page has use useful techniques which could apply to Ruby too. http://www.refactory.com/Software/SharpSmalltalk/ Cheers Dave Hi, In message "#Smalltalk" on 03/12/14, Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> writes: |Interesting stuff. The implementation page has use useful techniques |which could apply to Ruby too. Unfortunately, that technique does not allow closures, which is essential, IMO, in Ruby. But #Smalltalk itself is interesting really. matz. Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote: >Hi, > >In message "#Smalltalk...

Web resources about - are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ? - comp.lang.smalltalk

visualworks tag
All photos tagged with visualworks

Smalltalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation , a.k.a. the "Blue book", a seminal book on the language Smalltalk is an object-oriented , ...

Time zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about time zones in general. For a list of time zones by country, see List of time zones by country . For more time zone lists, ...

dynamic translation from FOLDOC
A virtual machine implementation approach,used to speed up execution of byte-code programs. Toexecute a program unit such as a method or a function ...

500px / Photo "World's Edge" by Karezoid Michal Karcz
inspired by the music of STEVE ROACH

Cincom Smalltalk
The Best Place to Learn about Smalltalk

Smalltalk - Cincom Smalltalk
“VisualWorks is intuitive, and its development tools and environment are second to none. Without it, we might still be creating a first pass ...

Game Company Information - GameFAQs
Company Information on GameFAQs, with a list of all games developed or published by .

January Cover Revealed
Forget what you know about Lara Croft. As of today, all that is changing.

Travels With Smalltalk
By Dave Thomas Reprinted from Celebrating 25 Years of Smalltalk , SIGS Publications. Smalltalk is much more than a programming language, it ...