Dolphin Smalltalk News

Folks,

Object Arts are pleased to announce that over the last few months we
have entered into a partnership with Lesser Software
(www.lesser-software.com) with the aim of creating the Next Generation
of Dolphin Smalltalk. This new version of Dolphin will be targetted
towards professional software developers and will leverage the
experience that Lesser Software have built up over a number of years in
high performance Smalltalk virtual machines and development tools.

Lesser Software's current product set includes LSW Vision Smalltalk,
whose virtual machine retains full bytecode compatibility with the
original Digitalk Visual Smalltalk Enterprise (VSE) platform. Existing
VSE developers can migrate their codebase to Vision Smalltalk, usually
within minutes, gaining the ability to run their applications on a fast,
modern and fully supported virtual machine.

Similarly, as a result of the new agreement, Dolphin users will have
access to the full Dolphin development environment and class library
(including MVP) running on top of the Vision Smalltalk substrate. The
new system will be completely source code (rather than bytecode)
compatible with existing Dolphin Smalltalk X6 projects, so adopters of
the new platform will instantly gain a number of key benefits:

1) Speed. The Vision VM is Just-In-Time (JIT) compiled and is FAST. The
current Dolphin VM is based on a very fast interpreter. In some
circumstances this has advantages over JIT compilation but if you want
SPEED then JIT is the way to go. Early estimates indicate that the new
Dolphin will be between 2x and 5x faster than Dolphin Professional X6.

2) Multi-threading. Currently, the Dolphin VM is single threaded
(although with an ability to run external calls on separate threads).
The Vision Smalltalk VM is true multi-threaded which will allow Dolphin
applications to take full advantage of the modern generation of
multi-processor and multi-core machines.

3) Unicode Support. Internally, the new VM is entirely based on Unicode.
For many of our international customers the ability to use Unicode in
their applications will be a huge benefit.

4) Smalltalk Link Libraries (SLLs). In the same way that Digitalk
Smalltalk introduced the concept of SLLs, the Vision Smalltalk platform
also allows Smalltalk code to be distributed as collections of small,
pre-compiled units that in many ways are simailar to Windows DLLs.
Dolphin Smalltalk users will be able to deploy their applications either
as SLLs or fully bound into executable files as they are today.

5) 64 bit OS Support. Whilst the current Vision Smalltalk VM is 32 bit,
development is underway on a full 64 bit version. Once this is ready,
new Dolphin users will be able to benefit from this immediately with no
additional effort.

6) Maintenance and Support. The Vision Smalltalk platform is fully
supported and is being actively developed by Lesser Software. With this
new way forward both existing and new Dolphin developers can be sure of
a supported route into the future.

At present, no pricing structure has been set for the new platform.
However, following its release we still intend to continue to keep the
current Dolphin products (DPRO and DCE) in existence. Hence, the Next
Generation Dolphin environment will likely be positioned at a price
point above that of the existing Dolphin Professional product.

If you are excited as we are about the potential behind this
announcement you'll probably want to learn more about when development
will commence on the Next Generation product. If so please follow this
link to Dolphin NG Development:

http://www.object-arts.com/content/navigation/products/dng.html

Best regards

Andy Bower
Object Arts Ltd
0
Andy
9/25/2008 1:07:46 PM
comp.lang.smalltalk 3549 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Congratulations, Andy!!!

Will it have Seaside and OODB (like Gemstone) compatibility?

V�ctor

"Andy Bower" <bower@SnipThisObject-arts.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> additional effort.
>
> 6) Maintenance and Support. The Vision Smalltalk platform is fully
> supported and is being actively developed by Lesser Software. With this
> new way forward both existing and new Dolphin developers can be sure of a
> supported route into the future.
>
> At present, no pricing structure has been set for the new platform.
> However, following its release we still intend to continue to keep the
> current Dolphin products (DPRO and DCE) in existence. Hence, the Next
> Generation Dolphin environment will likely be positioned at a price point
> above that of the existing Dolphin Professional product.
>
> If you are excited as we are about the potential behind this announcement
> you'll probably want to learn more about when development will commence on
> the Next Generation product. If so please follow this link to Dolphin NG

0
VICTOR
9/25/2008 11:45:15 PM
> Will it have Seaside and OODB (like Gemstone) compatibility?

Seaside and OmniBase already run on Dolphin

New version of Dolphin is source-compatible, so I'd say that both Seaside
and OmniBase will work just fine

0
Malbs
9/26/2008 2:13:47 AM
This is great news, for the Smalltalk community.

I for one am looking forward to get back
to working on Dolphin and to help develop
the platform further.

VSE was always my favorite implementation, so far.

I hope that everyone involved in the Smalltalk
community will support this effort, and help
maximize the inter-operability of this new
implementaitons with the existing platforms.

I would urge ObjectArts & Lessing Software
not to simply try to cash in on the latest
tide of Smalltalk-interest, but to try to
provide  a platform that can unite the community
and can evolve into the future by means of a
community-supported effort. I believe it is
the only way Smalltalk can thrive.

I think everybody has by now learned the
lessons of the past: No single provider of
programming IDEs nor VMs can help to corner
the marker on their own. Not even Sun. We need
collaboration.

Thanks for these great new developments.
Don't hesitate to invite the community
to collaborate and help you, to build up
momentum.

Best Regards

-Panu Viljamaa

Andy Bower wrote:
> [...]
> additional effort.
>
> 6) Maintenance and Support. The Vision Smalltalk platform is fully
> supported and is being actively developed by Lesser Software. With this
> new way forward both existing and new Dolphin developers can be sure of
> a supported route into the future.
>
> At present, no pricing structure has been set for the new platform.
> However, following its release we still intend to continue to keep the
> current Dolphin products (DPRO and DCE) in existence. Hence, the Next
> Generation Dolphin environment will likely be positioned at a price
> point above that of the existing Dolphin Professional product.
>
> If you are excited as we are about the potential behind this
> announcement you'll probably want to learn more about when development
> will commence on the Next Generation product. If so please follow this

0
Panu

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

smalltalk in the news
Austin, TX & Vienna, VA�(Business Wire)�July 23, 2003: 10x Software and Compumatics Group, today announced a global marketing and development agreement to jointly market and deliver value-added migration services helping companies worldwide to migrate Smalltalk-based mission-critical business applications to J2EE-based applications using industry-leading 10x Software's OSP-Java� development and migration solutions. Compumatics Group will provide Smalltalk expertise, migration planning and implementation, support services to customers worldwide. The joint migration services e...

Why Smalltalk? Why Dolphin?
Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. TIA, Steve Den tirsdag den 21. april 2015 kl. 18.29.30 UTC+2 skrev Steve Graham: > Is there a document or video which addresses the questions above? Seems > to me I saw something on youtube regarding the first, showing how you > can inspect EVERYTHING as it runs. > > TIA, Steve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koOsS-vD-XA There are several other wideos on ObjectArts site ...

Python from Smalltalk / Smalltalk from Python?
I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with (integrated with) python. But I'd like to do my programming in smalltalk, thank you very much. How much of a hassle is it to connect python and smalltalk for this sort of thing? Anyone else done it? Is there a recommended approach? Tips? Suggestions? Pitfalls? (I have interfaced with C in the past, relatively painlessly, so I'm not a total newbie with this sort of thing) Thanks. pineapple.link@yahoo.com escreveu: > I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with > (integrated with...

ANN: Silver Smalltalk
Greetings, Silver Smalltalk is a new Smalltalk-80 dialect which targets the Silverlight browser plugin. Blog is here: http://silversmalltalk.wordpress.com/ Demo site is here (requires Silverlight 3 or higher): http://silversmalltalk.appspot.com/ Cheers ...

are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ?
Hi , I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn smalltalk visualworks . I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk visualage smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks are similar or a lot of difference is in them ? Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards . sangwan.satpal@gmail.com wrote: > Hi , > I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I > am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn ...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

[ANN] SWIG for Smalltalk -- Merry Xmas Smalltalk!!
See: http://commonsmalltalk.wikispaces.com/ Enjoy! Ian --- http://www.upright.net/ian/ Ian Upright schrieb: > See: > > http://commonsmalltalk.wikispaces.com/ > > Enjoy! > > Ian > > --- > http://www.upright.net/ian/ As I understand you also work on a VA port ? Marten Marten Feldtmann <marten@toppoint.de> wrote: >Ian Upright schrieb: >> See: >> >> http://commonsmalltalk.wikispaces.com/ >> >> Enjoy! >> >> Ian >> >> --- >> http://www.upright.n...

Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux...
Think there will ever be a Dolphin Smalltalk on Linux? In particular, on 64-bit Linux? ...

Why smalltalk?
I guess it shouldn't appeal to everyone. But I'm having some hard time convincing myself to keep on learning smalltalk in much detail. Instead preferring to focus on lisp-scheme, forth, and to a lesser extent tcl. Here are the reasons. 1. It seems OOP is the main reason d'etre for smalltalk. But it can be done in lisp-scheme, forth, and tcl, and in many different ways too. Considering that there is no one definite way to do OOP, why would I restrict myself to the smalltalk model of doing it when I can have a look at clos, prometheus, xotcl, snit... etc. Those langua...

RoboCode in Dolphin Smalltalk?
Hi, does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk RoboCode project? G�nther Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > Hi, > > does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk > RoboCode project? > > G�nther Hello G�nther, sounds interesting. Do you want to create a RoboCode-Clone or something which is similar to RoboCode? cu, Yogi Marc Michael wrote: > Guenther Schmidt schrieb: > >> Hi, >> >> does anybody here have to the intention to initialize a Smalltalk >> RoboCode project? >&...

STIC Smalltalk news
As the new Executive Director of the Smalltalk Industry Council, I'm going to try to keep a more active participation in the Smalltalk community. One way is to use this new fangled blog thing that James Robertson keeps talking aboug... http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/sticBlog/blogView On that same topic, this today's posting: A key part of my vision for promoting Smalltalk is a STIC supported, and community authored, Smalltalk news web site. I see it as a Smalltalk centric version of slashdot.org, a site that provides a short summary of interesting current conten...

How would I do this in Smalltalk?
Let me describe something that I do on a regular basis in C++ to solve a real problem. This is really 2 problems in one, but 1 of them is pretty trivial to solve, and the other is what I'm stumped on. Hopefully someone can show me a new trick. :-) I need a list of global objects that is searchable at runtime, but created at compile or launch-time. For example, consider a game that when the player hits the ~ key a console pops up and allows them to type in commands to change the level he's playing on, enter God mode, etc. These would be done through console commands. Now, i...

Web resources about - Dolphin Smalltalk News - comp.lang.smalltalk

Cincom Smalltalk - Software Product Development, Application Development Tools
Cincom Smalltalk – Our application development tools cut all complexities surrounding software product development thus accelerating your potential ...

On Smalltalk
I'll assume you've already installed Apache and now want to install Gemstone behind it as a Seaside server. Let's install a few things that we're ...

Smalltalk.org&#153 -   main
The first place to link to for Smalltalk related resources. 'The best way to predict the future is to invent it' - Alan Kay.

Smalltalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation , a.k.a. the "Blue book", a seminal book on the language Smalltalk is an object-oriented , ...

GNU Smalltalk - The Smalltalk for those who can type
GNU Smalltalk is a free implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language. It runs on most POSIX compatible operating systems (including GNU/Linux, ...

SmallTalk Aphasia - Male on the App Store on iTunes
Get SmallTalk Aphasia - Male on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Flickr: "smalltalk"

Extreme Startup, Smalltalk and Server Login Considered Harmful at XP Days Benelux
What do Extreme Startup, Smalltalk and Server Login Considered Harmful have in common? I’ve made some slides to promote sessions about them at ...

Dan Ingalls on the History of Smalltalk and the Lively Kernel
Dan Ingalls explains the ideas that went into Smalltalk, how it was developed at Xerox PARC, the ideas that went into Squeak, and his latest ...