How to migrate an application from "VisualWorks/Windows NT" --> "VisualWorks/Windows XP" ?

Hello,

We developped a big application (1995-2002) with
        "VisualWorks(R), Release 2.5.2 of September 26, 1995
        Copyright (C) 1995 ParcPlace-Digitalk, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
        Version Id:  #[25 26 47 9 25 0 0 0 25 26 47 13]
        Patches:
         CScanner Release 2.5
         DLL and C Connect-VW2.5
         DLL and C Connect-VW2.5
         VW2.5-compat-oldview
         VW2.5.1
         VW2.5.1-dllcc
         VW2.5.2

we have to migrate our application to "Windows XP".

When we start the application with "Windows XP" + ""VisualWorks(R), Release
2.5.2"
there are some problems (for example: colors).

Question: How to migrate an application from "VisualWorks/Windows NT" -->
"VisualWorks/Windows XP" ?

Thank you for your answer.

Greetings

Marc Epiney
Swisscom IT Services AG
marc.epiney@swisscom.com

0
Epiney
8/26/2003 11:39:41 AM
comp.lang.smalltalk 3549 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Epiney Marc" <marc.epiney@swisscom.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We developped a big application (1995-2002) with
>         "VisualWorks(R), Release 2.5.2 of September 26, 1995
>         Copyright (C) 1995 ParcPlace-Digitalk, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
>         Version Id:  #[25 26 47 9 25 0 0 0 25 26 47 13]
>         Patches:
>          CScanner Release 2.5
>          DLL and C Connect-VW2.5
>          DLL and C Connect-VW2.5
>          VW2.5-compat-oldview
>          VW2.5.1
>          VW2.5.1-dllcc
>          VW2.5.2
>
> we have to migrate our application to "Windows XP".
>
> When we start the application with "Windows XP" + ""VisualWorks(R),
Release
> 2.5.2"
> there are some problems (for example: colors).
>
> Question: How to migrate an application from "VisualWorks/Windows NT" -->
> "VisualWorks/Windows XP" ?

I think the obvious answer is: migrate your application to VisualWorks 7.1
see
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com:8080/CincomSmalltalkWiki/How+Do+I+Upgrade+VisualWorks
for a starting point to migrate to VisualWorks 5i.

Best regards,

Gerrit

0
Gerrit
8/26/2003 1:10:17 PM
Well, the most obvious way would be to upgrade the application to use a
version of VisualWorks that's (a) supported (b) supported on Windows XP.
The current one would be version 7.1. See http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

There are likely a few issues you'll encounter. The most likely ones are
  - you seem to be using backward-compatibility packages in 2.5. Those
mechanisms are likely completely obsolete in the new versions, and in
addition those have deprecated the 2.5-style polling UI's for event-
driven ones, which may require a bit of work.
  - OTI has discontinued support for the ENVY team programming system.
It's not clear if you were using that or not, but you'd need to switch
over to the newer "Store" system.

A good resource on the issues in general is a presentation from Georg
Heeg (a partner of ours based in Germany, with a lot of experience in
these areas) at Smalltalk Solutions 2001, available at
http://donald.heeg.de/downloads/vortraege/Vortrag%20Heeg%20ESUG%
202001.ppt (Note, it's a large presentation. There seems to be an HTML
version on whysmalltalk.com as well. A search for the title "Porting and
Gardening VisualWorks applications to 5i" will find it.
It talks about porting to something that's now a couple of versions back,
but is still quite relevant).

Assuming that the name Swisscom implies you're in Switzerland, There's
also a Smalltalk conference going on right now quite close to you, in
Bled, Slovenia. See http://esug2003.esug.org.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
knight@acm.org
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk
0
Alan
8/26/2003 1:20:51 PM
Your 2.5 image will work with 3.1 virtual machine on XP. At least it
worked for me. VW 3.1 is no longer supported, though. Best would be to
migrate to 7.1.

Stan

James A. Robertson <jarober@gosmalltalk.com> wrote in message news:<hpqmkvou3tf4omtpfu96v0btrvictlmij5@4ax.com>...
> Note the date on VW 2.5.2 - it was still compatible with Windows 3.1
> at that point.  Windows 2000 and XP did not exist yet (nor did many
> patch sets for NT)
>
> To migrate to XP, you best bet would be to upgrade to a modern version
> of VisualWorks.  you can download VWNC in order to get a handle on
> what's changed:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/scripts/ProductRegistration.ssp
>
> also check these pages for information:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VW+Version+Changes+Page
>

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:39:41 +0200, "Epiney Marc"
> <marc.epiney@swisscom.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >We developped a big application (1995-2002) with
> >        "VisualWorks(R), Release 2.5.2 of September 26, 1995
> >        Copyright (C) 1995 ParcPlace-Digitalk, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
> >        Version Id:  #[25 26 47 9 25 0 0 0 25 26 47 13]
> >        Patches:
> >         CScanner Release 2.5
> >         DLL and C Connect-VW2.5
> >         DLL and C Connect-VW2.5
> >         VW2.5-compat-oldview
> >         VW2.5.1
> >         VW2.5.1-dllcc
> >         VW2.5.2
> >
> >we have to migrate our application to "Windows XP".
> >
> >When we start the application with "Windows XP" + ""VisualWorks(R), Release
> >2.5.2"
> >there are some problems (for example: colors).
> >
> >Question: How to migrate an application from "VisualWorks/Windows NT" -->
> >"VisualWorks/Windows XP" ?
> >
> >Thank you for your answer.
> >
> >Greetings
> >
> >Marc Epiney
> >Swisscom IT Services AG
> >marc.epiney@swisscom.com
0
si_bendoviNO_S_P_A_M

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"my" and "our"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"or" and "and"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirements below. Title: Database/ETL Developer Duration: 6 months Location: NY Exp: 7+ Locals preferred Database/ETL requirements (Mandatory) Candidate must have worked with financial instruments, preferably Mutual Funds but, Equities are also ok. PL/SQL - packages, Stored procs, Functions, Aggregate functions, Pipelined Functions Informatica 8.6 - especially complex mappings, complex maplets, complex workflows, transformations Oracle 10g/11g Unix/Linux shell scripting Database/ETL requirements (Optional) ...

a variable "a" and "window.a" ??
i saw a code refactorying onload event listener window.onloadListeners=new Array(); window.addOnLoadListener=function(listener) { window.onloadListeners[window.onloadListeners.length]=listener; } why declare the onloadListeners, addOnLoadListener below window? i think bare "afunc" and "window.afunc" are same thing and available both way. is there a difference? On Jan 26, 12:51 pm, "gg9h0st" <mn9h...@hotmail.com> wrote: > i saw a code refactorying onload event listener > > window.onloadListeners=new Array(); > window.addOnLoadListener=f...

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

Web resources about - How to migrate an application from "VisualWorks/Windows NT" --> "VisualWorks/Windows XP" ? - comp.lang.smalltalk