Python from Smalltalk / Smalltalk from Python?

I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with
(integrated with) python.  But I'd like to do my programming in
smalltalk, thank you very much.  How much of a hassle is it to connect
python and smalltalk for this sort of thing?  Anyone else done it?  Is
there a recommended approach?  Tips?  Suggestions?  Pitfalls?  (I have
interfaced with C in the past, relatively painlessly, so I'm not a
total newbie with this sort of thing)

Thanks.
0
pineapple
10/25/2008 3:07:38 PM
comp.lang.smalltalk 3549 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

pineapple.link@yahoo.com escreveu:
> I am currently using a graphical package which is scripted with
> (integrated with) python.  But I'd like to do my programming in
> smalltalk, thank you very much.  How much of a hassle is it to connect
> python and smalltalk for this sort of thing?  Anyone else done it?  Is
> there a recommended approach?  Tips?  Suggestions?  Pitfalls?  (I have
> interfaced with C in the past, relatively painlessly, so I'm not a
> total newbie with this sort of thing)

You don't mention the specifics so this is speculative: your graphical
package probably was written in C or C++ and Python has bindings for it.

If so, you could just find the API and create a wrapper to your Smalltalk.

Your odds will increase if the package has bindings for more languages
than just Python.

0
Cesar

Python to Smalltalk Conversion
Has anyone has the experience of porting some python code into smalltalk? Are there any known web resources on this? Tools? Language mapping etc? Thanks, Steve Programmer wrote: > > > > > Has anyone has the experience of porting some python code into > smalltalk? Are there any known web resources on this? Tools? > Language mapping etc? > > > Thanks, > Steve I know of one still-bortn project to do a Python implementation in VisualWorks. It got far along enough that it might be useful to you. Send me an email with ...

Integrating python with smalltalk
Hi all, sorry if it isn't the right group (and sorry for the cross post, but it's a cross- question :P ), but i'm not sure where to post. I have a python library and i want to be able to call it from smalltalk (the squeak implementation in particular..). I was just wondering if there is a standard mechanism to do it. On windows i know i can create in python a COM server and call it from smalltalk, but i wonder if there is a more general solution (platform independent). thanks for any advice, nelson For a crazy response lets try: Lets find how how we can call Python from Jav...

Dolphin Smalltalk v. Smalltalk MT
Forum, We have pretty much settled on Dolphin as the Smalltalk implementation of choice (the decision finally came down to Dolphin or MT). But MT does have a couple of features that are useful and productive, and I was would like to know if perhaps the functionality already exists in Dolphin, but maybe not so straightforward. 1. Concerning the embedding of an ActiveX component in a view, MT offers a simple way to execute the primary verb of a control. I can't seem to find that funtionality in Dolphin. I would like to use Codejock's ActiveX-based UI controls: The Command...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

ANN: Silver Smalltalk
Greetings, Silver Smalltalk is a new Smalltalk-80 dialect which targets the Silverlight browser plugin. Blog is here: http://silversmalltalk.wordpress.com/ Demo site is here (requires Silverlight 3 or higher): http://silversmalltalk.appspot.com/ Cheers ...

Smalltalk Solutions 2004
Hello, Smalltalk Soutions is just around the corner! Register today so you can hear Michael Lucas-Smith present Smalltalk with Style. Visit www.smalltalksolutions.com to register today. Smalltalk With Style presentation Lucas-Smith, Michael: Wizard Information Services Monday 2:00:00 pm to 2:45:00 pm Abstract: Recent years have seen many software development projects moving away from desktop clients to Web Applications. Unfortunately, whilst today's Web Applications offer some benefits (particularly for implementors), they constitute a significant step backward for users...

are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ?
Hi , I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn smalltalk visualworks . I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk visualage smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks are similar or a lot of difference is in them ? Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards . sangwan.satpal@gmail.com wrote: > Hi , > I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I > am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn ...

What killed Smalltalk could kill Python
In 2009, Robert Martin gave a talk at RailsConf titled "What Killed Smalltalk Could Kill Ruby". (No cheering, that sort of attitude is one of the things that killed Smalltalk.) Although Martin discusses Ruby, the lessons could also apply to Python. Video is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX3iRjKj7C0 Youngsters may not be aware of Smalltalk. It was the language which popularised object oriented programming. Technically, Simula was the first OOP language, but Smalltalk popularised it. For a decade or two in the 80s and 90s, Smalltalk was *the* killer lang...

python vs smalltalk 80
python vs smalltalk 80 which is nicer? gavino wrote: > which is nicer? If I were to lock you and INTERCAL in a room until only one is left alive, who do you think would survive? Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > gavino wrote: > >> which is nicer? > > If I were to lock you and INTERCAL in a room until only one is left alive, who do you think would survive? The rest of us. -- Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis The work of many cannot...

pycore (Python on a Smalltalk VM)
via Alan Schiffman's blog via Ted Leung's <http://www.sauria.com/blog> via Lisa Dusseault: http://webpages.charter.net/allanms/2004/08/you-dont-tug-on-supermans-cape.html L. Peter Deutsch is working on implementing Python on top of the VisualWorks Smalltalk VM & JIT compiler. -- Steve Majewski <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> ...

Python, SmallTalk, Objective-C
Hi all! I've heard good things about SmallTalk, and I read that the IDE is extremely productive. Why is this the case? What are the technical points where Python and SmallTalk differ? Is SmallTalk really faster than Python? I tried Objective-C, but eventually dropped it for lack of support and the need to use NS-type classes to do anything productive. Python's built in containers and types are so much more concise. But if Objective-C is like C with SmallTalk features, why isn't it more popular for platforms other than OSX? Currently, I think Python is where I'm going to...

Smalltalk-like Python IDE ?
Hi, My experience has been with Smalltalk using Object databases. I would very much appreciate your recommendations on a Python IDE closest to the Smalltalk 'image' environment, with class browsers, implementors/senders, inspectors, debuggers, etc. I am planning to use the following technologies for my new project (based on input from others users here): + Python 2.6 + PostgreSQL 8.3 (+ pgAdmin III 1.10) + SQLAlchemy 0.5.2 (+ psycopg2) + Elixir 0.6.1 Does the above look right?, or are there any incompatibilities among versions?, or would you recommend to add/remove/change thin...

Why smalltalk?
I guess it shouldn't appeal to everyone. But I'm having some hard time convincing myself to keep on learning smalltalk in much detail. Instead preferring to focus on lisp-scheme, forth, and to a lesser extent tcl. Here are the reasons. 1. It seems OOP is the main reason d'etre for smalltalk. But it can be done in lisp-scheme, forth, and tcl, and in many different ways too. Considering that there is no one definite way to do OOP, why would I restrict myself to the smalltalk model of doing it when I can have a look at clos, prometheus, xotcl, snit... etc. Those langua...

Raffle for Smalltalkers & Smalltalk Solutions 2006
Precision System Design, Inc. wrote to me as follows: ENTER OUR DRAWING FOR SMALLTALKERS: win an iPod Video or Amazon.com gift$! Anyone can enter our free drawing. To enter, simply fill out this simple form (http://www.precisionsystems.com/SS2006/). We will be giving away: =B7 an Apple iPod Video, 30 GB =3D 150 hours of video =3D 7500 songs!, and =B7 ten Amazon.com gift certificates SEE US AT SMALLTALK SOLUTIONS 2006: April 25 -26 in Toronto! Precision is proud to be an official convention exhibitor. There will be an impressive array of speakers, tutorials, workshops a...

Web resources about - Python from Smalltalk / Smalltalk from Python? - comp.lang.smalltalk

Cincom Smalltalk - Software Product Development, Application Development Tools
Cincom Smalltalk – Our application development tools cut all complexities surrounding software product development thus accelerating your potential ...

On Smalltalk
I'll assume you've already installed Apache and now want to install Gemstone behind it as a Seaside server. Let's install a few things that we're ...

Smalltalk.org&#153 -   main
The first place to link to for Smalltalk related resources. 'The best way to predict the future is to invent it' - Alan Kay.

Smalltalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation , a.k.a. the "Blue book", a seminal book on the language Smalltalk is an object-oriented , ...

GNU Smalltalk - The Smalltalk for those who can type
GNU Smalltalk is a free implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language. It runs on most POSIX compatible operating systems (including GNU/Linux, ...

SmallTalk Aphasia - Male on the App Store on iTunes
Get SmallTalk Aphasia - Male on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Flickr: "smalltalk"

Extreme Startup, Smalltalk and Server Login Considered Harmful at XP Days Benelux
What do Extreme Startup, Smalltalk and Server Login Considered Harmful have in common? I’ve made some slides to promote sessions about them at ...

Dan Ingalls on the History of Smalltalk and the Lively Kernel
Dan Ingalls explains the ideas that went into Smalltalk, how it was developed at Xerox PARC, the ideas that went into Squeak, and his latest ...