"Can't find package xxx" - even though it's installed in tcl_pkgPath

Probably the subject line indicates most of the issue. If I run a script containing a

package require xxx

tcl is complaining that it can't find the package, even though I've confirmed that it's definitely in a subdirectory in the tcl_pkgPath. No idea why this is happening, although it seems to me to be likely to be something very, very basic.

This is running tcl 8.5 in Fedora 17.

tcl_pkgPath variable is /usr/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/share/tcl8.5 /usr/lib/tk8.5 /usr/share/tk8.5.

I don't know what other information you may need; please let me know and I'll attempt to provide it.

On Sep 30, 10:29=A0pm, alex.rast.techni...@gmail.com wrote:
> Probably the subject line indicates most of the issue. If I run a script =
containing a

> package require xxx
>
> tcl is complaining that it can't find the package, even though I've confi=
rmed that it's definitely in a subdirectory in the tcl_pkgPath. No idea why=
 this is happening, although it seems to me to be likely to be something ve=
ry, very basic.

> This is running tcl 8.5 in Fedora 17.
>
> tcl_pkgPath variable is /usr/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/share/tcl8.5 /usr/lib/tk8.5 =
/usr/share/tk8.5.

> I don't know what other information you may need; please let me know and =
I'll attempt to provide it.

please check the output of "package names".
Remember, that package names are case sensitive.
The package file "pkgIndex.tcl" must be in the package folder or in a
direct subfolder of it.
Look to this file. You will find the package name in there.

Or it is a tcl module. Than, the module path is relevant and the
package name is equal to the file name up to the first "_".
msgcat_1.4.9.tcl -> package "msgcat".

Hope this helps,
Harald
0
wortkarg2 (425)
9/30/2012 9:02:02 PM
On 09/30/2012 04:29 PM, alex.rast.technical@gmail.com wrote:
> tcl is complaining that it can't find the package, even though
> I've confirmed that it's definitely in a subdirectory in the tcl_pkgPath.

What are the contents of the installed pkgIndex.tcl file?

--
| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
On Sunday, 30 September 2012 22:11:12 UTC+1, Don Porter  wrote:
> On 09/30/2012 04:29 PM, alex.rast.technical@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > tcl is complaining that it can't find the package, even though
>
> > I've confirmed that it's definitely in a subdirectory in the tcl_pkgPath.
>

> What are the contents of the installed pkgIndex.tcl file?

package ifneeded ylex 0.3 [list source [file join $dir ylex.tcl]]
package ifneeded yeti 0.3 [list source [file join $dir yeti.tcl]]

> | Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
>
> | donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
>
> | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |
>
> |______________________________________________________________________|

>>> tcl is complaining that it can't find the package, even though
>>> I've confirmed that it's definitely in a subdirectory in the tcl_pkgPath.

>> What are the contents of the installed pkgIndex.tcl file?

> package ifneeded ylex 0.3 [list source [file join $dir ylex.tcl]]
> package ifneeded yeti 0.3 [list source [file join $dir yeti.tcl]]

After the failed [package require ylex], does the list returned by
[package names] include the names "ylex" and "yeti" ?  I presume not.

It is nearly certain that Tcl is not searching where you think it is,
or should be.

This can have a number of confusions at its root.  Most useful would be
a transcript of an interactive session where you demonstrate the failure
alongside the results of things like [set ::auto_path] and
[package present Tcl] to ascertain that you really are working with
what you think you are.

--
| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |
dgp2341 (685)
10/1/2012 3:42:33 PM
On Monday, 1 October 2012 16:24:24 UTC+1, (unknown)  wrote:
> On Sunday, 30 September 2012 22:11:12 UTC+1, Don Porter  wrote:
>=20
> > On 09/30/2012 04:29 PM, alex.rast.technical@gmail.com wrote:
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > > tcl is complaining that it can't find the package, even though
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > > I've confirmed that it's definitely in a subdirectory in the tcl_pkgP=
ath.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > What are the contents of the installed pkgIndex.tcl file?
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> package ifneeded ylex 0.3 [list source [file join $dir ylex.tcl]]
>=20
> package ifneeded yeti 0.3 [list source [file join $dir yeti.tcl]]
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > | Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division =
|
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > | donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory =
|
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST =
|
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > |______________________________________________________________________=

Thanks all - the hint allowed me to track down the source of the problem. T=
he package ifneeded commands were specifying a different version number tha=
n the version provided in the packages themselves. I found the same problem=
 in various of the other packages in other subdirectories, so this appears =
to have been the root cause. (I might write some little verification/correc=
tion script to update version numbers where appropriate)
On 10/01/2012 12:12 PM, alex.rast.technical@gmail.com wrote:

>The package ifneeded commands were specifying a different version
 > number than the version provided in the packages themselves.

You must be working with rather old releases of Tcl then.  Any Tcl
release within the last few years is written to detect that scenario
and present a better error message than "Can't find" your package.

--
| Don Porter            Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |
dgp2341 (685)

Help! Can't read file with the char's. " / " and "." !
  Hi fellows!   I got this file : example.     13-06-06 12:30:20,526        -3,568  13-06-06 12:30:20,529      -13,528 13-06-06 12:30:20,556      -30,568 .. .. ..          My program writes this file, and in my program i also got a  ReadFile.VI, to read this file and plot...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

mplayer can't play "link," and I can't find the real one
I'm trying to listen to my football game, but I can't get mplayer to cooperate. I'm trying to play a link from http://knbr.com/listenNow.html without much luck (I want the link from the right for the 1050 station). The button link is javascript:openplayer('http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=KNBR 1050 The Sports Leader&Station=KTCT_AM'); so I try mplayer "http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=KNBR 1050 The Sports Leader&Station=KTCT_AM" and after some whirring and clicking, get Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll Exiting... (End of file) Some googling shows that the message isn't correct, and that this happens when feeding raw url's to mplayer. However, when I try to follow the link, all I can find is http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/asx/KTCT_AM.ask feeding *this* to mplayer, I get 404 errors. I can get the link to play with windows under firefox, and pageinfo shows this last link as an "embed". Any suggestions? thanks hawk Dr. R. E. Hawkins wrote: > mplayer > "http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=KNBR > 1050 The Sports Leader&Station=KTCT_AM" > > and after some whirring and clicking, get > > Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth...

"Can't find project or library" on VBA's CurDir function...
This confuses the hell out of me... Is there a way to kick Excel in its behind to make it realize that if it can find the rest of its VBA.xxx functions, it should know where "CurDir" is too? -- Dag. Dag Sunde wrote: > This confuses the hell out of me... > > Is there a way to kick Excel in its behind to make it realize > that if it can find the rest of its VBA.xxx functions, it > should know where "CurDir" is too? Just tried it in Excel 97 and Excel 2003. It worked in both. Anything else to go on? "Dag Sunde" <me@dagsunde.com> wrot...

"Can't find CD, insert additional driver floppy". But, it's booted from CD!
I'm trying to install Mandrake 10.1 into a system built around a Pentium 4 on an Asus P4C800-E motherboard. I have two SATA drives and intend to dual boot, one drive for Windows and one for Linux. I have Mandrake Linux 10 installed on one drive, and Windows XP Pro on the other. The installation CD will boot and ask me to select how I want to install. I select to run the install with the default graphical interface. The installer tells me "No CDROM device found" (I have to press OK). (I mutter "You just booted from it! How can you not find it!?!") "Please insert the additional drivers CD". "The what?" OK� what gives? (I am newbie to the max, if you havn't guessed.) Ok, welcome to this particular weirdness - it freaked me out too. Booting from a CD is like booting from a floppy - the BIOS finds the first few sectors of the CD and reads what's there. Once the kernel has loaded from the CD, it's a whole new ball game. Although the BIOS booted from the CD, and knows it's there, Linux doesn't. Yet. Sadly I don't know Mandrake at all (I use Debian, and have used RedHat and Slackware), but most distributions have an "expert mode" for the installer, which will allow you to tell it what hardware you have. If you can run the installer in this expert mode, and tell it you have an Intel ICH5R, it should then find all your attached CD-ROM and hard drives. I'm sorry if tha...

[OT] Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.
Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's" is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further embarrassment (assuming you care ;-). If your friends won't tell you, who will ;-) Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong ;-) OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se? E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it...

Suddenly Can't Use "ifstream"s and "ofstream"s
I had a working piece of code that successfully read from files with the "ifstream" type and wrote to files with the "ofstream" type. This code is made up of a number of different files. In the course of the job I needed for two of these files to have access to one piece of information, so I created a class that I called "CSuffix" and stored the common information there. So I created a "Suffix.h" file that looks like: #pragma once class CSuffix { public: static void initialize (); static void increment (); static c...

Steve Jobs

how to make ["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] into ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] ?
--001a11c34e8edbc7c404f6a94bbe Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 >>> x=["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] >>> y=x[2] >>> y ['c', 'd'] >>> x.insert(2,y[0]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> x.insert(3,y[1]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> del x[4] >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', &#...

Why doesn't can't a vector of "Derived" be passed to function taking vector of "Base"?
I have these classes (elided methods): class Base { public: Base(string name) {...} }; class Derived : public Base { public: Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} }; And neither of these work: /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived> arr; create( arr ); } /*** ATTEMPT TWO **/ void create(std::vector<Base*>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived*> arr; create( arr ); } On 2008-04-28 17:20, Rob wrote: > I have these classes (elided methods): To answer the questions in the subject (which you really ought to repeat in the message): Because a vector<Derived> does not inherit from vector<Base> even though Derived inherits from Base. You might want to use vector<Base*> instead and store pointers to objects of type Derived in it. -- Erik Wikström Rob <someidunknown1234@yahoo.com> writes: > I have these classes (elided methods): > > class Base > { > public: > Base(string name) {...} > }; > > class Derived : public Base > { > public: > Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} > }; > > And neither of these work: > > /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ > void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) > { > ... > } ...

can't find package ceptcl while executing "package require ceptcl"
Hello, I have a problem setting up the package ceptcl / udp sousmon eggdrop. I use a function of ntp server that searches for these apparently packages to run at full speed. After my research I found: http://www.flightlab.com/~joe/gutter/doc/ceptcl-0.3/ceptcl.html http://wiki.tcl.tk/11140 I was on http://www3.sympatico.ca/stuart.cassoff/software/index.html I download: http://www3.sympatico.ca/stuart.cassoff/software/ceptcl-0.4.tar.gz After ./Configure to make me its: ceptcl# make gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"ceptcl\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"ceptcl\" - DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"0....

Can't use HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with root's bash?
Hi! I noticed HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with root (su)'s bash in my 64-bit Debian oldstable (3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64)? I have no problems in regular user (no root/su). Here are examples to compare before and after HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with history command in bash prompt: # history 6 apt-get upgrade 7 apt-get dist-upgrade 8 apt-get install mplayer 9 apt-get install vlc 10 apt-get -t backports upgrade 11 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 12 gem update 13 apt-get update 14 apt-get upgrade 15 apt-get clean 16 apt-get upgrade 17 apt-get upgrade 18 apt-get purge tzdata 19 apt-get upgrade 20 apt-get dist-upgrade 21 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 22 apt-get -t backports upgrade 23 gem update 24 apt-get update 25 apt-get upgrade 26 apt-get clean 27 apt-get upgrade 28 apt-get upgrade 29 apt-get dist-upgrade 30 apt-get -t backports upgrade 31 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 32 gem update 33 w 34 apt-get update 35 apt-get upgrade 36 apt-get upgrade 37 apt-get upgrade 38 apt-get dist-upgrade 39 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 40 apt-get -t backports upgrade 41 n 42 deborphan 43 deborphan -n 44 debfoster 45 gem update 46 locate arp.dat 47 updatedb 48 cat /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat ...

"Can't locate object method "PV" via package "B::SPECIAL""
When I try to use B::Lint I get the error Can't locate object method "PV" via package "B::SPECIAL"" Does anyone know where B::SPECIAL is defined? TIA, kj -- NOTE: In my address everything before the first period is backwards; and the last period, and everything after it, should be discarded. On Oct 20, 5:53 am, kj <so...@987jk.com.invalid> wrote: > When I try to use B::Lint I get the error > > Can't locate object method "PV" via package "B::SPECIAL"" > > Does anyone know where B::SPECIAL is defined? &...

Can't "mk CONF=9pcdisk" --> gives error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error"
I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type `mk CONF=9pcdisk` and rc gives me the error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error". Why is this? Just doing mk works fine (I think). Thanks! Plan9 looks very cool... just finished reading through intro (all of it). you're using backquotes, why? that would be `{mk CONF=3D9pcdisk} in rc's syntax. now to compile that kernel the syntax is: % mk 'CONF=3Dpcdisk' now are you sure you want a pcdisk?=20 On Jul 19, 2012, at 6:07 AM, kalaracey@gmail.com wrote: > I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type >=20 ...

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?
I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML. Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not. It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus displaying a table as if it were text. Eudora liter...

Can't locate object method "first" via package "attempt" (perhaps you forgot to load "attempt"?) at ....
"Can't locate object method "first" via package "attempt" (perhaps you forgot to load "attempt"?) at E:\Inetpub\....\N_Clt_prf.pl line 38."I get this error on a perl program that prints & processed a form.Program was working until I made a simple (cosmetic) change. Could not find any reference to this error.Could anyone our there help?Thanks. "GMI" <Admin@GoMonitor.com> wrote in news:11bbgp4iovmsdb@corp.supernews.com: > "Can't locate object method "first" via package "attempt" (perhaps you >...

Acrobat's "acroread" can't print some files
What can I do to get a problem PDF file to print? I'm using versions 5.0.8 on one machine and 5.0.9 on another. Both versions complain about the file I'm viewing, saying that the file version is newer than the program version, and that I might not be able to view some content. Maybe that's related to being unable to print this file? There are multiple files I have with this problem. Thanks..... -- PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)! Show Windows & Gates to the exit door. Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal opinions a...

Can't comment out shell's "pipe" character
Here's an oddity, using Script Debugger I can't compile shell code containing the pipe character when it's commented out: (* find $folder -type f -name '*.txt' | while IFS= read -r file do sed -n '1! G;h;$ p' "$file" > "$NEWDIR/$file" done *) however adding a linewise comment to the offending line allows the script to compile: (* -- find $folder -type f -name '*.txt' | while IFS= read -r file do sed -n '1! G;h;$ p' "$file" > "$NEWDIR/$file" done *) Is this normal? Doe...

"find"can't find?
I've found very funny situation with my matlab6.5. a=0:0.1:1 b=find(a==0.3) Then, ans is supposed to be 4, however, >>Empty matrix: 1-by-0 On Apr 4, 5:43 pm, "Seungyong " <jsyw...@gmaildot.com> wrote: > I've found very funny situation with my matlab6.5. > a=0:0.1:1 > b=find(a==0.3) > > Then, ans is supposed to be 4, however, > > >>Empty matrix: 1-by-0 This is a variation on a frequently asked question. The answer is simply that the decimal number 0.3 cannot be represented exactly in the double precision floating point arithmetic use...

Can't find javax.* and other "extra" packages
I'm using JDK 1.4.1 for Java 2. According to the API docs, I can use javax packages, but when I add: import javax.crypto; I get an error that it can't find the package. Is there some special way to get javax packages? According to a web page at Sun, the crypto is supposed to be included with 1.4. (That's how they write it -- no 1.4.1 or 1.4.2, just written as 1.4.) And, along with this, I've found references to a java.mail API. I can't find anything like that documented in the JDK references. Where can I find this package? It would be a huge help...

GNU Screen "No more PTYs" "Sorry can't find a PTY"
I built GNU screen from both GNU source and the source from the HP-UX port and archive center. In both cases I get an error on the screen console that "No more PTYs." and "Sorry can't find a PTY." Is there a non-admin user way to fix this issue? One issue that appears to be showing up with Google is missing PTYs in /dev. However there are ones there > ls /dev/pty ttya0 ttyae ttybc ttyca ttye8 ttyf6 ttyp4 ttyq2 ttyr0 ttyre ttysc ttyta ttyu8 ttyv6 ttyw4 ttyx2 ttyy0 ttyye ttyzc ttya1 ttyaf ttybd ttycb ttye9 ttyf7 ttyp5 ...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-70BC8E.10314523092011@news.shawcable.net... 'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the wor...

Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others.
Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others. Also have a requirement for any of the IRE - IEEE publications on early computing. Please advise All eras are fine prefer bound but... loose OK too. address is below. Thanks Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC - - See the Museum's Web Site at www.smecc.org Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications and Computation Coury House / SMECC Library 5802 W. Palmaire Ave. ...

Still can't upgrade Lombard's HD, get "no entry"
Recap: Lombard machine, works fine but 4GB HD is too small. I have two HD's from dead laptops, one a 8GB, the other 40GB. I have tried this process with both: Install drive Boot from 10.3.x CD Wipe drive (zero it) and format with Extended Install 10.3.x .... everything works fine for a while. Then we get the "no entry" sign and it will no longer boot. Problems that aren't: RAM is fine (otherwise it wouldn't work already, right?) drives are fine (both were working fine in the other laptop) Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on? Maury...

Web resources about - "Can't find package xxx" - even though it's installed in tcl_pkgPath - comp.lang.tcl