[ info exists varName ] returns "" on Tcl 8.4.4 ... we're losing our sanity here

Hello,

We're using "Tcl 8.4.4.0 Solaris/SPARC" .... pretty darned old
version, I know ... but we have no choice as our program doesn't work
well with newer versions.

Anyway, we keep getting an error that we all used to think was simply
impossible ... namely [ info exists ] not returning zero or non-zero
but simply returning an empty string:

can't use empty string as operand of "!"
    while executing
"if { ! [ info exists ::varName ] } {
    return
}"
    (procedure "debugOut"  line 3)
    invoked from within
"debugOut -g 9 "Entered function.""
    (procedure "programExit" line 3)
    invoked from within
"programExit 0"

How the heck is this even possible?? Is this a bug in Tcl? I don't see
how anything we could do could ever cause [ info exists ] to return an
empty string!

Regards,

Markus
0
NutJob (56)

On Jun 22, 5:51=A0pm, antred <Nut...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're using "Tcl 8.4.4.0 Solaris/SPARC" .... pretty darned old
> version, I know ... but we have no choice as our program doesn't work
> well with newer versions.
>
> Anyway, we keep getting an error that we all used to think was simply
> impossible ... namely [ info exists ] not returning zero or non-zero
> but simply returning an empty string:
>
> can't use empty string as operand of "!"
> =A0 =A0 while executing
> "if { ! [ info exists ::varName ] } {
> =A0 =A0 return}"
>
> =A0 =A0 (procedure "debugOut" =A0line 3)
> =A0 =A0 invoked from within
> "debugOut -g 9 "Entered function.""
> =A0 =A0 (procedure "programExit" line 3)
> =A0 =A0 invoked from within
> "programExit 0"
>
> How the heck is this even possible?? Is this a bug in Tcl? I don't see
> how anything we could do could ever cause [ info exists ] to return an
> empty string!
>
> Regards,
>
> Markus

Well, a malevolent hand can write:

  proc info args {return ""}

Is this realistic in your case ? Anybody overwriting the [info] built-
in ?

-Alex
On 22 Jun., 18:01, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jun 22, 5:51=A0pm, antred <Nut...@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > We're using "Tcl 8.4.4.0 Solaris/SPARC" .... pretty darned old
> > version, I know ... but we have no choice as our program doesn't work
> > well with newer versions.
>
> > Anyway, we keep getting an error that we all used to think was simply
> > impossible ... namely [ info exists ] not returning zero or non-zero
> > but simply returning an empty string:
>
> > can't use empty string as operand of "!"
> > =A0 =A0 while executing
> > "if { ! [ info exists ::varName ] } {
> > =A0 =A0 return}"
>
> > =A0 =A0 (procedure "debugOut" =A0line 3)
> > =A0 =A0 invoked from within
> > "debugOut -g 9 "Entered function.""
> > =A0 =A0 (procedure "programExit" line 3)
> > =A0 =A0 invoked from within
> > "programExit 0"
>
> > How the heck is this even possible?? Is this a bug in Tcl? I don't see
> > how anything we could do could ever cause [ info exists ] to return an
> > empty string!
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Markus
>
> Well, a malevolent hand can write:
>
> =A0 proc info args {return ""}
>
> Is this realistic in your case ? Anybody overwriting the [info] built-
> in ?
>
> -Alex

Hello Alex,

We actually suspected that that something like that might be happening
somewhere in our codebase, but we've grepped all of it for occurrences
of "proc info" or "rename info" and the search did not turn up
anything.
I sort of expect that this will turn out to be the result of a hugely
stupid mistake we've made, but at the moment it sure looks like a
bug. :-\

Regards,

Markus

0
NutJob (56)
6/22/2009 4:06:46 PM
antred wrote:
> On 22 Jun., 18:01, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 5:51 pm, antred <Nut...@gmx.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>> We're using "Tcl 8.4.4.0 Solaris/SPARC" .... pretty darned old
>>> version, I know ... but we have no choice as our program doesn't work
>>> well with newer versions.
>>> Anyway, we keep getting an error that we all used to think was simply
>>> impossible ... namely [ info exists ] not returning zero or non-zero
>>> but simply returning an empty string:
>>> can't use empty string as operand of "!"
>>>     while executing
>>> "if { ! [ info exists ::varName ] } {
>>>     return}"
>>>     (procedure "debugOut"  line 3)
>>>     invoked from within
>>> "debugOut -g 9 "Entered function.""
>>>     (procedure "programExit" line 3)
>>>     invoked from within
>>> "programExit 0"
>>> How the heck is this even possible?? Is this a bug in Tcl? I don't see
>>> how anything we could do could ever cause [ info exists ] to return an
>>> empty string!
>>> Regards,
>>> Markus
>> Well, a malevolent hand can write:
>>
>>   proc info args {return ""}
>>
>> Is this realistic in your case ? Anybody overwriting the [info] built-
>> in ?
>>
>> -Alex
>
> Hello Alex,
>
> We actually suspected that that something like that might be happening
> somewhere in our codebase, but we've grepped all of it for occurrences
> of "proc info" or "rename info" and the search did not turn up
> anything.
> I sort of expect that this will turn out to be the result of a hugely
> stupid mistake we've made, but at the moment it sure looks like a
> bug. :-\
>
> Regards,
>
> Markus

well, you instead of relying on grepping the code, you could also try
a runtime check and add a call to [info body info] right before your
currently erroring call to [info exists] (default built-in info command
will throw an error with message
	"info" isn't a procedure
but if something somewhere overwrote it at the script level you'll
see what it is doing.

Bruce
On Jun 22, 6:06=A0pm, antred <Nut...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 22 Jun., 18:01, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 22, 5:51=A0pm, antred <Nut...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > > We're using "Tcl 8.4.4.0 Solaris/SPARC" .... pretty darned old
> > > version, I know ... but we have no choice as our program doesn't work
> > > well with newer versions.
>
> > > Anyway, we keep getting an error that we all used to think was simply
> > > impossible ... namely [ info exists ] not returning zero or non-zero
> > > but simply returning an empty string:
>
> > > can't use empty string as operand of "!"
> > > =A0 =A0 while executing
> > > "if { ! [ info exists ::varName ] } {
> > > =A0 =A0 return}"
>
> > > =A0 =A0 (procedure "debugOut" =A0line 3)
> > > =A0 =A0 invoked from within
> > > "debugOut -g 9 "Entered function.""
> > > =A0 =A0 (procedure "programExit" line 3)
> > > =A0 =A0 invoked from within
> > > "programExit 0"
>
> > > How the heck is this even possible?? Is this a bug in Tcl? I don't se=
> > > how anything we could do could ever cause [ info exists ] to return a=
> > > empty string!
>
> > > Regards,
>
> > > Markus
>
> > Well, a malevolent hand can write:
>
> > =A0 proc info args {return ""}
>
> > Is this realistic in your case ? Anybody overwriting the [info] built-
> > in ?
>
> > -Alex
>
> Hello Alex,
>
> We actually suspected that that something like that might be happening
> somewhere in our codebase, but we've grepped all of it for occurrences
> of "proc info" or "rename info" and the search did not turn up
> anything.
> I sort of expect that this will turn out to be the result of a hugely
> stupid mistake we've made, but at the moment it sure looks like a
> bug. :-\

Maybe it escapes grepping through creative use of dynamic code ;-)
What you can do after the fact, though, is ask for [info body]. If
you're lucky, it will give you better grep targets...

-Alex

Good idea. I'll place a call to [info body info] in a few strategic
positions when I'm back at work tomorrow. I really hope that info
turns out to have been overwritten somehow. I'd prefer not to have my
faith in the Tcl interpreter shattered, lol.
0
NutJob (56)
6/22/2009 6:23:58 PM
antred wrote:
> We're using "Tcl 8.4.4.0 Solaris/SPARC" .... pretty darned old
> version, I know ... but we have no choice as our program doesn't work
> well with newer versions.

Does this old release pass its own test suite on the platform where
you have trouble?

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
On Jun 22, 8:51 am, antred <Nut...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Anyway, we keep getting an error that we all used to think was simply
> impossible

Whenever I see an impossible error I immediately suspect [trace].
The error could be in trace handler code rather than in the
displayed code.

Donald Arseneau
0
asnd (4601)
6/22/2009 9:03:54 PM
I was going to suggest using something like

rename info myinfo

at the start, but this returns an error that seems completely
unrecoverable - I couldn't even hit the up arrow key (using windows
console to test) after I typed in the above. It complains of too many
nested somethings. I think it's cause rename is using info itself.

Is this a bug??? (I'm using 8.6b1 tclkit)

And regarding the OP issue, could there be a loaded extension,
couldn't some C code be doing some damage that could lead to this type
of error?
On Jun 23, 6:20=A0am, rocket777 <googlegro...@rocketship1.biz> wrote:
> I was going to suggest using something like
>
> rename info myinfo
>
> at the start, but this returns an error that seems completely
> unrecoverable - I couldn't even hit the up arrow key (using windows
> console to test) after I typed in the above. It complains of too many
> nested somethings. I think it's cause rename is using info itself.
>
> Is this a bug??? (I'm using 8.6b1 tclkit)

It is simply due to the default [unknown] calling [info exists] (see
in library/init.tcl). When you undefine [info], the next call hits
[unknown] and recurses.

The link with the up-arrow can be seen by inspecting the error trace
in the wish details subwindow:

 "info exists auto_noload"
    (procedure "::unknown" line 21)
    invoked from within
 "info exists tcl_prompt1"
    (procedure "ConsolePrompt" line 1)
    invoked from within
 "ConsolePrompt"
    (procedure "tk::ConsoleInvoke" line 23)
    invoked from within
 "tk::ConsoleInvoke"
    (command bound to event)

As you can see, we are kicked into this vicious circle by [info exists
tcl_prompt1].

Bottom line: all this happens at script level, no magic. And regarding
its qualification as a bug, do you blame a beheaded duck when it runs
into a wall ? Note also that you can re-graft the duck's head if
you're quick enough: type on the same line in your interactive wish:

   rename info info0;proc info args {puts HA:$args;uplevel 1 info0
$args}

-Alex
Don Porter wrote:
> antred wrote:
>> We're using "Tcl 8.4.4.0 Solaris/SPARC" .... pretty darned old
>> version, I know ... but we have no choice as our program doesn't work
>> well with newer versions.

> Does this old release pass its own test suite on the platform where
> you have trouble?

The possibility no one else has yet suggested is a bug in the compiler
that was used to build the Tcl library for your system.  Testing for
this is the reason I'm interested in a test suite run, besides any
other valuable info it might reveal.

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |
dgp2341 (685)
6/23/2009 2:01:16 PM
On Jun 22, 11:33 pm, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
mpt1].

> Bottom line: all this happens at script level, no magic. And regarding
> its qualification as a bug, do you blame a beheaded duck when it runs
> into a wall ? Note also that you can re-graft the duck's head if
> you're quick enough: type on the same line in your interactive wish:
>
>    rename info info0;proc info args {puts HA:$args;uplevel 1 info0
> $args}
>
> -Alex

Well, if a duck fails to quack as advertised and is not documented to
fail under some exception, it's either a documentation error or a bug.
At the least, it should be in the bugs section of a man page.

However, my intent was actually to see if there's a way to help the OP
and I figured he could rename info at the start preserving a workable
info command. If the renamed version also fails, then something else
must be going on.

When I saw the workaround suggested I figured this might solve the
original problem - so I tried it but it too failed, this time with,

wrong # args: should be "info0 subcommand ?arg ...?"
wrong # args: should be "info0 subcommand ?arg ...?"
    while executing
"info0"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 info0"
    (procedure "info" line 1)
    invoked from within
"info exists tcl_prompt1"
    (procedure "ConsolePrompt" line 1)
    invoked from within
"ConsolePrompt"
    (procedure "tk::ConsoleInvoke" line 23)
    invoked from within
"tk::ConsoleInvoke"
    (command bound to event)

hmmm, looks like it doesn't like that extra newline. wrapping gotcha.

On Jun 23, 8:11 pm, rocket777 <googlegro...@rocketship1.biz> wrote:
> hmmm, looks like it doesn't like that extra newline. wrapping gotcha.

double post gotcha too :<
On Jun 24, 5:11=A0am, rocket777 <googlegro...@rocketship1.biz> wrote:
> hmmm, looks like it doesn't like that extra newline. wrapping gotcha.

Of course. I typed this on a single line and Google groups wrapped it
behind my back :-}
Are you okay now ?

-Alex
On Jun 23, 10:59=A0pm, rocket777 <googlegro...@rocketship1.biz> wrote:

> However, my intent was actually to see if there's a way to help the OP
> and I figured he could rename info at the start preserving a workable
> info command. If the renamed version also fails, then something else
> must be going on.

Perhaps there's a way to make a copy of info, as the very first thing
after the tcl is started. Of course, that wouldn't handle a case where
someone modified the original source to make changes to it before
instantiation of the interpreter was completed...
0
lvirden (1938)
6/24/2009 11:11:24 AM
On Jun 24, 1:11=A0pm, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 10:59=A0pm, rocket777 <googlegro...@rocketship1.biz> wrote:
>

> > However, my intent was actually to see if there's a way to help the OP
> > and I figured he could rename info at the start preserving a workable
> > info command. If the renamed version also fails, then something else
> > must be going on.
>
> Perhaps there's a way to make a copy of info, as the very first thing
> after the tcl is started. Of course, that wouldn't handle a case where
> someone modified the original source to make changes to it before
> instantiation of the interpreter was completed...

Indeed, and the one I provided does exactly this ;-)

-Alex
On Jun 24, 6:06=A0am, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jun 24, 1:11=A0pm, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 23, 10:59=A0pm, rocket777 <googlegro...@rocketship1.biz> wrote:
>
> > > However, my intent was actually to see if there's a way to help the O=
> > > and I figured he could rename info at the start preserving a workable
> > > info command. If the renamed version also fails, then something else
> > > must be going on.
>
> > Perhaps there's a way to make a copy of info, as the very first thing
> > after the tcl is started. Of course, that wouldn't handle a case where
> > someone modified the original source to make changes to it before
> > instantiation of the interpreter was completed...
>
> Indeed, and the one I provided does exactly this ;-)

Why not replace [rename] right before the main startup of the
application. Then you can log when renaming is happening, or even
avoid renaming the [info] command.
0
tom.rmadilo (754)
6/24/2009 4:35:13 PM
On Jun 24, 6:35=A0pm, "tom.rmadilo" <tom.rmad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not replace [rename] right before the main startup of the
> application. Then you can log when renaming is happening, or even
> avoid renaming the [info] command.

Very nice ! [rename rename] is one of those spicy idioms we don't
encounter so frequently ;-)

This method will surely help proceed in the investigation, if only to
rule out a script-level operation. Thanks !

-Alex

PS: Note however that it won't catch an outright overwrite of [info]
by [proc info ...]; for that you would need to override proc too; a
bit too M=FCnchhausen-ish for my taste...

On Jun 24, 3:51=A0pm, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jun 24, 6:35=A0pm, "tom.rmadilo" <tom.rmad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Why not replace [rename] right before the main startup of the
> > application. Then you can log when renaming is happening, or even
> > avoid renaming the [info] command.
>
> Very nice ! [rename rename] is one of those spicy idioms we don't
> encounter so frequently ;-)

That is weird, I totally missed the irony (using replace [rename]
instead). I remember thinking about disabling [rename] like this:

% rename rename ""

Then I screwed up and started thinking about getting fancy with
logging, but any sufficiently mature application will require
[rename], so I thought is should be "replaced" and not deleted.

What I imagine happened in this case is that someone replaced the
built in [info] command with an enhanced version which gave more
"info". For instance, ACS/OpenACS replaced ns_info with ad_info, which
gave more information (more subcommands). These commands end up
getting edited so often that they are guaranteed to accumulate bugs.

0
tom.rmadilo (754)
6/24/2009 11:29:45 PM
On Jun 22, 2:30=A0pm, Don Porter <d...@nist.gov> wrote:

> Does this old release pass its own test suite on the platform where
> you have trouble?

Hello Don,

How do I run this test suite? Much to my shame I must confess that
I've never heard of such a thing.

Markus Kemp
0
NutJob (56)

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4"))
(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns ((quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4")) Interesting and (for me) unexpected. Because (mapcar 'read '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns (1 2 3 4) and (mapcar 'princ '("1" "2" "3" "4")) gives 1234("1" "2" "3" "4") Why isn't (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returning ((quote "1") (quote "2") (quote "3") (quote "4")) Tom Haws www.hawsedc.com Probably has to do with the fact that 'arg and (quote arg) are equivalent, and LISP gets confused by the construct 'quote, which is about the same as (quote (quote arg)). But I don't pretend to know all of the mechanics of the error; the results are somewhat different in R14, BTW: Command: (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) ((<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4")) ___ "Tom Haws" <hawstom@despammed.com> wrote in message news:77317472.0309160733.45ea9d8c@posting.google.com... > (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3"...

Tcl 8.4 regexp bug ("can't happen -- you found a bug")
Howdy, The following regsub command causes the above error message in Tcl 8.4: regsub {(^|\n)+\.*b} \n.b "" tmp There's probably room for argument about whether the expression is malformed. But in that case, it should probably say "quantifier operand invalid" rather than "you found a bug". Good luck, -Jonathan Jones According to Jonathan Jones <googlegroups@spitzensparken.com>: :The following regsub command causes the above error message Stop by the SourceForge project and submit a bug report on it. -- <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In Go...

Re: What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 #4
Thank you for the code. That's what I really wanted to see. I have some problem in understanding the code: particularly, ` '0'* <^w ?*> from your code rx = rxparse("` '0'* <^w ?*> to =1"); I know the tag expression and *, but I do not understand the rest characters. Can you explain it for me? Many thanks, Duckhye >>> "Chang Y. Chung" <chang_y_chung@HOTMAIL.COM> 03/04/04 01:36PM >>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:55:20 -0600, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hi, >I wanted to remove the first zero ...

checkbuttons in tcl 8.4.12 and 8.5a4 with -offvalue == ""?
Hello, I just realized some differences between the checkbuttons visualisation in tcl 8.4 and 8.5. If the offvalue of a checkbutton is set to "" (empty string) and the checkbutton is not "checked", than ... - in tcl 8.4.12 the background is white - in tcl 8.5a4 the background is grey and the "check" is still visible That's a bug, isn't it? If the offvalue is " " (one blank), than every thing works. Best regards, Martin Lemburg UGS - Transforming the Process of Innovation MartinLemburg@UGS wrote: > Hello, > > I just reali...

FAQ 4.61 What's the difference between "delete" and "undef" with hashes? #4 433658
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.61: What's the difference between "delete" and "undef" with hashes? Hashes contain pairs of scalars: the first is the key, the second is the value. The key will be coerced to a string, alth...

FAQ 4.61 What's the difference between "delete" and "undef" with hashes? #4 228278
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.61: What's the difference between "delete" and "undef" with hashes? Hashes contain pairs of scalars: the first is the key, the second is the value. The key will be coerced to a string, alth...

Re: What does this statement do IF "" =: '*' THEN ; ? #4
Good point, I assumed that Ya was asking about the everything but the comparison operator. On 1/14/09, Allen Ziegenfus <aziegenfus@anaxima.com> wrote: > That syntax is new to me. I found the description in the "Language > Reference"; > > "You can compare only a specified prefix of a character string by using a > colon (:) after the comparison operator. In the following example, the colon > modifier after the equal sign tells SAS to look at only the first character > of values of the variable LASTNAME and to select the observations with names > begi...

missing "lappend" from tcl 8.4.2.0 help .chm
I just noticed this tonight when I went to cross reference the windows help on lappend ,with the Brent Welch's 4th edition text.I'm sure this was fixed in newer releases. Love the book ,it's lighter with thinner pages ,the 3rd ed got me started ,now the 4th ed is THE tcl book ! keep em coming Brent ,nice to see Jeff Hobbs credited on this one too ,thanks. NeuroS wrote on 06/08/03: > err if you do a search you will find it , > 'Built-In Commands - lappend manual page. > just not listed in with other list cmds. That is very confusing. lappend should be listed ...

FAQ 4.37 What's wrong with always quoting "$vars"? #4 554308
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.37: What's wrong with always quoting "$vars"? The problem is that those double-quotes force stringification--coercing numbers and references into strings--even when you don't want them to be ...

ANN: Tcl-Tk-Aqua 8.4.14 "universal" installer for OS X
The Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages are distributions of the core Tcl/Tk libraries, plus the Tile theming extension, built to support the PPC and Intel architectures of the Mac OS X platforms. They can be downlaoded at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/index.html. OVERVIEW OF PACKAGES The Tcl/Tk "Universal" package for Mac OS X are based on the current version of Tcl/Tk at the time of this build, 8.4.14. The Tile extension is version 0.7.8. The packages support the native Aqua version. Aqua The "Aqua" package supports the native Mac windowing env...

"GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found" error when executing external programs and mex files (indirectly) linked to libcxx.so.6 from gcc-4.4.4.
I get the following error when executing external programs from the matlab command prompt: /home/florian/sys/os/glnx86/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /opt/ros/diamondback/stacks/perception_pcl_addons/pcl_visualization/lib/libpcl_visualization.so) I had the same problem when I linked the code as a mex file. The program is linked with libstdc++.so.6 from gcc-4.4.4. Matlab seems to load a different version for the programs somehow. When I replace the libstc++.so.6 form the path above with the correct version the programs crash upon start. Is ther...

Dev C++ Err "expected `]' before ';' token" / source "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((aligned(4)));"
In Dev C++, we tried to compile a application, but it will throw some peculiar error. please find it below "path/main.cpp expected `]' before ';' token" and the source code is "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((aligned(4)));" is this problem of envirnment or else? nagaraj wrote: > In Dev C++, we tried to compile a application, but it will throw some > peculiar error. please find it below > > "path/main.cpp expected `]' before ';' token" and the source code is > "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((align...

Re: What does ASCII '1A'X ("sub") mean? #4
That's the INCLUDE *command*. As far as I know there is no INCLUDE statement. On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:07:04 -0500, Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO) <rjf2@CDC.GOV> wrote: >> From: Howard Schreier [mailto:Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV] >> Right. I don't find anything on the SAS site indicating that >> it is a system option. Rather, it works in the FILENAME and >> INFILE statemnets, as you indicate. >> >> See >> http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/SN/003/003632.html >> >> Then there is >http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedo...

Re: MACRO not working for "00" to "98" #4
George, As Gerhard mentioned, you're conditional checks for &cy="00", "99", and "98" are all false because the macro parameter values do not include quotes. Every check fails, meaning they fall into the %else %do block. Here there is an error with cystartdate. I think it should be 01JAN20&prev_cy_calc, but you have 01JAN200&prev_cy_calc (an extra zero in the year). This is why you are getting values of 20098 and 20097. Jack Jack Clark Senior Research Analyst phone: 410-455-6256 fax: 410-455-6850 jclark@hilltop.umbc.edu University of ...

SCSI cards: what are the "4-7" and "4-L" labels mean?
I took a look at the the back of my RS/6000 boxes, they have a bunch of SCSI cards. Lot's of different labels on the outside of the cards: 4-k, 4-l, 4-7, etc. What do those labels stand for? Are they compatible (with the appropriate adapters) for cabling purpose? IE, can I cable a 4-L to a 4-7? Thanks in advance. Daryl gprimerib wrote: > I took a look at the the back of my RS/6000 boxes, they have a bunch of > SCSI cards. Lot's of different labels on the outside of the cards: > 4-k, 4-l, 4-7, etc. What do those labels stand for? Are they > compatible (with the a...

Re: Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs" #4
hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote in news:telecom24.569.15@telecom-digest.org: [...] > Just out of curiosity, do radio stations have to pay a royalty to > record companies when they play music? What are the rules, if any, > for someone recording a song off the radio or a tape off of TV? (IANAL, this is just my opinion, do not rely on this as legal advice. Furthermore, this reflects my understanding of the situation in the USA only. If you need legal advice, hire a lawyer.) Yes, and no. Radio stations pay a royalty to the composers and (lyric) authors (or, more correctly, to the publishing company to which they sold the rights) indirectly through license contracts with ASCAP and BMI (and sometimes a 3rd agency, SECAC, which represents a miniscule portion of the authors and composers). ASCAP and BMI license their entire libraries (and not just to radio stations, but also to stores that play music, bars, restaurants, and night clubs) for a single negotiated fee, take samples of music usage, and distribute their collections (less collection fees and profits) to the rights holders in proportion to the works' standings in the sample results. On the other hand, the actual performers (or the holders of their royalty rights) receive nothing from the radio stations. They are held to be fully compensated by the exposure they receive and the increased record and live performance ticket sales resulting therefrom. (Except, of course perf...

Re: "Empty zones" and BIND 9.4 #4
> Mark Andrews wrote: > >> For the loopback subnet reverse zone, if you want to create a PTR > >> record for each possible IP, use a wildcard. So instead of this from > >> Mark's example: > >> > >> 1.0.0 PTR localhost. > >> > >> use this: > >> > >> * PTR localhost. > >> > >> Chris Buxton > >> Men & Mice > > > > Normally you only need "1.0.0 PTR localhost." as that > > is usually the only address in use. > > > > If you don't use it then you don't need a PTR. If you do > > use it but forget the PTR then you want to stop the query > > leaking so that why the zone is 127.IN-ADDR.ARPA and not > > 1.0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA, 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA or 0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA. > > NXDOMAIN will be returned if there is no PTR record. > > Maye I'm confused, but why is it 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA cannot be used? > Why/how would that cause "query leaking" (and what is that exactly?) If you use address 127.1.1.1 and do a reverse lookup on it then it is will not be answered from 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA. The query instead will go to the IN-ADDR.ARPA servers and a NXDOMAIN will be returned. The query is supposed to be answered locally and 127/8 is a purely local resource. > I guess I jsut want to understand the logic & reasoning behind all thi...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')
Russell Nelson wrote: > If you need to put a single quote in, then you put > an arbitrary string in-between the single quotes which does NOT > appear in the string. For example, "Bill's house" becomes > 'x'Bill's house'x'. So possible examples might be: 'xx'somebody's mother'xx' 'xy'somebody's father'xy' 'wink'somebody's uncle'wink' 'quote'somebody's body'quote' not terrible easy on the eyes, and why use the single quote at all? Why no= t use a similar pattern li...

Re: how to quit / return from "if then"? #4 1558474
data test; set sashelp.class; if name='James' then do; put 'enter the if statement'; goto endstep; end; weight=weight*2; return; endstep: put 'STOP here, due to error'; stop; run; On 11/16/06, muster <muster@gmail.com> wrote: > > Thanks to Michael, it was missing a ; after do. I corrected it and go a > new problem. > > It executes do ... end, then still run the rest of the program, which > is not what I wanted. How to make it quit running the program totaly? > > Thanks, > > muster > > > muster wrote: > > Hello all, ...

Re: how to quit / return from "if then"? #4 677943
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:52:42 -0800, muster <muster@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Thanks to Michael, it was missing a ; after do. I corrected it and go a >new problem. > >It executes do ... end, then still run the rest of the program, which >is not what I wanted. How to make it quit running the program totaly? Please provide a more complete example, or at least indicate the context in which you are running this code. The SAS DATA step does *not* have a PRINT statement. Perhaps this is just sloppiness and the "real" (DATA step) code has a PUT statement there. In that case...

Re: "We're From the Government..."; NSA Recs on Securing Mac OS X #4
jdj <jdj@now.here> wrote in message news:<telecom23.537.11@telecom-digest.org>: > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:57:38 -0800, Justin Time wrote: >> Danny Burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote in message: > [snip] >>> Yes, that NSA: >>> Title: >>> How to Securely Install and Use Apple Computer Inc.'s Mac OS X >>> Version 10.3.x Operating System (Panther) > [snip] >> But it took them at least 30 more pages to make guesses about that >> other common proprietary operating system -- the one from Redmond Wa. >> with the longest running beta test in history. > Beta????? > I thought it was still in pre-alpha. It's still very unstable. > =-= Nope. Windows is the longest running Beta test in history. Been going on for over 10 years now and they are still trying to stabilize version 1.0 Rodgers Platt ...

RE: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #4
> -----Original Message----- > From: owner-ptk@lists.Stanford.EDU > [mailto:owner-ptk@lists.Stanford.EDU] On Behalf Of Nick Ing-Simmons > Sent: December 6, 2005 1:51 PM > To: ptk@lists.Stanford.EDU > Subject: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) > > > I have had various of list (and even day job) complaints that > perk/Tk "looks old fashioned". > > Also tracking/converting Tcl/Tk is a pain (and core Tk is > where most of the "look" comes from). > > So for perl6 (when it come...

difference between tcl 8.4.2 & 8.4.4
% exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" Running on Win 98. Win XP is ok. Peter Campbell wrote: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" > > Running on Win 98...

Web resources about - [ info exists varName ] returns "" on Tcl 8.4.4 ... we're losing our sanity here - comp.lang.tcl