"No installer way" to distribute tcl/tk?

Hi,

I am writing a small app for the team as a utility. I uses Lisp and
tcl/tk bindings. I have ActiveState tcl/tk 8.4 installed on my machine.
Is there any way to distribute my app without having to install
ActiveState package on every user machine?
I am wondering if there is "minimum" way to distribute the
necessary tcl/tk components (wish.exe, etc.). I mean just what dlls and
exe should I put in my lisp app folder?

Thanks!
Andrew

0
astebakov (40)

In article <1119284301.062794.27820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 <astebakov@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am writing a small app for the team as a utility. I uses Lisp and
>tcl/tk bindings. I have ActiveState tcl/tk 8.4 installed on my machine.
>Is there any way to distribute my app without having to install
>ActiveState package on every user machine?
>I am wondering if there is "minimum" way to distribute the
>necessary tcl/tk components (wish.exe, etc.). I mean just what dlls and
>exe should I put in my lisp app folder?
			.
			.
			.
Does <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/deployment > leave any questions?
You'll particularly want to read <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/starkit >
and <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/11861 >.

Others have passed this way before you.
0
claird (2363)
6/20/2005 8:08:02 PM
astebakov@yahoo.com schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a small app for the team as a utility. I uses Lisp and
> tcl/tk bindings. I have ActiveState tcl/tk 8.4 installed on my machine.
> Is there any way to distribute my app without having to install
> ActiveState package on every user machine?
> I am wondering if there is "minimum" way to distribute the
> necessary tcl/tk components (wish.exe, etc.). I mean just what dlls and
> exe should I put in my lisp app folder?
>
> Thanks!
> Andrew

Hi Andrew

Have a look at http://freewrap.sourceforge.net/

regards
Manfred

Looking for binary "expect" and "TCL/Tk" (if required) for OpenServer6
Does anybody know where to find "expect" (and related requirements) for OpenServer6? I can download the source files from nist.gov, but they do not compile. The MAN pages are already loaded on the system, so I suspect the programs would be on the distribution media somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick On 9 Feb, 17:57, Rick_Hoyle <motosl...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Does anybody know where to find "expect" (and related requirements) > for OpenServer6? I can download the source files from nist.gov, but > they do not compile. The MAN pages are al...

tcl/tk on Windows: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" on quit
I have an application that uses Tk and runs on various platforms. On Windows 2000 (I don't know about XP) when the user quits (which calls quit on the root toplevel), it always exits with the following error dialog: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application"s support team for more information. Any idea how to prevent this? A google search shows that others have had this problem, but I didn't see any resolution. -- Russell P.S. The application need not be doing anything much at the time, though it does use "after" to run some background tasks. Russell E. Owen wrote: > I have an application that uses Tk and runs on various platforms. On > Windows 2000 (I don't know about XP) when the user quits (which calls > quit on the root toplevel), it always exits with the following error > dialog: > > This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual > way. > Please contact the application"s support team for more information. I assume you mean calling the 'exit' command. Otherwise please show us the proc 'quit' that you've written. In article <1141868998.793262.235610@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>, "slebetman@yahoo.com" <slebetman@gmail.com> wrote: > Russell E. Owen wrote: > > I have an application that uses Tk and runs on various platforms. On > > Windows 2000 (I don't...

"Sayonara Tcl/Tk"
It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=333 Στις 29/4/2013 11:49, ο/η saxo3800@gmail.com έγραψε: > It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. > > http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=333 > I think that he has a point regarding threads. George On Apr 29, 11:02=C2=A0am, Georgios Petasis <peta...@iit.demokritos.gr> wrote: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 29/4/2013 11:49, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 saxo3...@gmail.co= m =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: > > > It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. > > >http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=3D16&t=3D333 > > I think that he has a point regarding threads. Sure. Though I'm curious to know what specific problem of his is so much better served by explicit locks and shared vars than by message passing, given the context. It's not as if he was worried by lost nanoseconds in mutex contention. -Alex Στις 29/4/2013 20:07, ο/η Alexandre Ferrieux έγραψε: > On Apr 29, 11:02 am, Georgios Petasis <peta...@iit.demokritos.gr> > wrote: >> Στις 29/4/2013 11:49, ο/η saxo3...@gmail.com έγραψε: >> >>> It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. >> >>> http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=333 >> >> I think that he has a point regarding threads. > > Sure. Though I'...

Are Tcl and Tk "inseparable"?
Hi, I am a Ruby user and probably I will have to use Tk in order to get nice GUIs. Now, the problem is that: Learning a new language (Ruby) is already time consuming enough. Do I have to learn also Tcl in order to use Tk? Can't I use Tk alone? (Umm, well, not so alone, together with Ruby, I mean) Thanks in advance. Surgeon schrieb: > Hi, > > I am a Ruby user and probably I will have to use Tk in order to get > nice GUIs. Now, the problem is that: Learning a new language (Ruby) is > already time consuming enough. Do I have to learn also Tcl in order to > use Tk? Can't I use Tk alone? (Umm, well, not so alone, together with > Ruby, I mean) The Perl community ripped Tcl from their PerlTk package, but it was just slower, less up to date and more memory hungry. So in principle one could separate Tk from Tcl, but its not worth it. But your question goes in a different direction: The Ruby/Tk binding wraps Tk into a set of Ruby Objects, so you are using Ruby when you create Ruby/Tk programs. So you do not need to learn Tcl to be able to use RubyTk, but it could help in translating advanced Tk examples found on the Tcl'ers wiki (http://wiki.tcl.tk). But you have to learn the options and functions of your libraries, as you have to do for any other package. Michael Surgeon <biyokuantum@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I am a Ruby user and probably I will have to use Tk in order > to get nice GUIs. Now, the problem is that: Learning a ...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

ANN: Tcl-Tk-Aqua 8.4.14 "universal" installer for OS X
The Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages are distributions of the core Tcl/Tk libraries, plus the Tile theming extension, built to support the PPC and Intel architectures of the Mac OS X platforms. They can be downlaoded at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/index.html. OVERVIEW OF PACKAGES The Tcl/Tk "Universal" package for Mac OS X are based on the current version of Tcl/Tk at the time of this build, 8.4.14. The Tile extension is version 0.7.8. The packages support the native Aqua version. Aqua The "Aqua" package supports the native Mac windowing environment. It is useful for developing and deploying native Mac OS X applications. With the "Aqua" package, the following will be installed on your machine: *The Tcl and Tk frameworks will be installed in /Library/Frameworks. * The Tcl interpreter, tclsh, and the Tk interpreter, wish, will be installed in /usr/local/bin. *The Tile extension, which adds native Aqua theming to the Tk widgets, will be installed in /Library/Tcl. * The Wish application package will be installed in /Applications/Utilities. A standalone version of Wish, with the Tcl/Tk and Tile libraries embedded in the application package, will be installed in /Applications/Utilities/Wish-Embedded. This package is useful for deploying Tcl/Tk applications to end users.The Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages are distributions of the core Tcl/Tk libraries, plus the Tile theming extension, built to support...

"Multithreaded" tcl/tk problem?
Hello In short: I ran into serious problems when developing multithreded Tcl/ Tk application in C. After spending (literally!) weeks on debugging and tests, I believe that it narrows down to Tcl/Tk bugs in multithread mode. I tried to find something over net on such problems, but to no success :-( I'll be very grateful if someone could confirm that, or perhaps point out what I'm doing wrong...here's detailed description: I have Win32 C++ application (SCADA/HMI program) which may contain several (from zero to literally hundreths) independent Tcl/Tk "modules". Module is my own term here, and it boils down to separate thread, with it's own tcl interpreter. I also create a "container window" in module's thread, and initialize Tk in this interpreter (via Tk_Init) so that "container window" becomes parent window for this Tk's instance "main window" (this is done via setting global "argv" variable to "-use container_id"). After initialization, thread load script from file into interpreter and enters fairly standard event loop, processing both windows messages and Tcl events. Some of messages (defined by RegisterWindowsMessage) are used to carry commands from other threads - when I receive such message I call some Tcl function in interpreter, by usual Tcl_Eval( "functionName" ) call. This code in turn does some Tcl work, like setting GUI up, displaying information for the user, sometimes i...

"prompt" dialog for Tcl/Tk
Hey folks, I noticed Tk has some handy default modal dialogs: tk_messageBox, tk_chooseDirectory, tk_openFile, and so on. One particular form of dialog I would like to find - but don't know if it exists - is a "prompt" dialog similar to a browser's native "prompt" dialog for JavaScript, which pops up a modal dialog with a label, a single text entry field, and "OK" and "Cancel" buttons, and returns the string value of its entry field when the user clicks "OK" (or null if the user clicks "Cancel"). Since browser makers have seen fit to include this as a core native widget for the browser, I'd be surprised if Tk didn't have something similar (before I go off & try building one on my own). Thanks, David On May 10, 12:41=A0pm, David Golightly <davig...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey folks, > > I noticed Tk has some handy default modal dialogs: tk_messageBox, > tk_chooseDirectory, tk_openFile, and so on. =A0One particular form of > dialog I would like to find - but don't know if it exists - is a > "prompt" dialog similar to a browser's native "prompt" dialog for > JavaScript, which pops up a modal dialog with a label, a single text > entry field, and "OK" and "Cancel" buttons, and returns the string > value of its entry field when the user clicks "OK" (or null if the > user clicks "Cancel"). =A0Since br...

"out" and "in out"

"or" and "and"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"my" and "our"

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

How to do PHP "require()" or TCL "source" in bash script
I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to explain this any better than this. In PHP we have a command "require()" that obtains a file and logically places it into another file. I cannot figure out how to do this in bash script as the requirement is necessary for a migration script to obtain the code from a .cfg file and then be able for the "parent" script to run the code it "imported" from the .cfg file, much like PHP's require() or TCL's "source". This is what I have so far and it fails: if [ -f ivc.cfg ]; then cat ivc.cfg fi Anyone...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

"preferred" way of detecting Tcl with autoconf
I am using autoconf to write a configure script. The script needs to detect the installed versions of Tcl and Tk header files. The solution I have is to take tcl.m4 from tcl$(version)/unix/tcl.m4, copy it into my source directory, and then within my configure.in have: SC_PATH_TCLCONFIG SC_LOAD_TCLCONFIG AC_MSG_CHECKING([for a compatible version of Tcl]) if test \( "${TCL_MAJOR_VERSION}" -gt 8 \) -o \( "${TCL_MAJOR_VERSION}" -eq 8 -a "${TCL_MINOR_VERSION}" -ge 4 \); then AC_MSG_RESULT(yes) else AC_MSG_ERROR([foo requires Tcl 8.4 or greater]) fi Question 0: Is this the preferred way for doing versioning checking? Question 1: Are there plans to create a tcl.pc and tk.pc for use with pkg-config?[0] pkg-config seems to be the configure system of choice for many other libraries. [0] http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/wiki/ -- Jason Tang / tang@jtang.org / http://www.jtang.org/~tang tang@jtang.org wrote: > I am using autoconf to write a configure script. The script needs to > detect the installed versions of Tcl and Tk header files. The solution > I have is to take tcl.m4 from tcl$(version)/unix/tcl.m4, copy it into my > source directory, and then within my configure.in have: > > SC_PATH_TCLCONFIG > SC_LOAD_TCLCONFIG > AC_MSG_CHECKING([for a compatible version of Tcl]) > if test \( "${TCL_MAJOR_VERSION}" -gt 8 \) -o \( "${TCL_MAJOR_VERSION}" > -eq 8 -a "${TCL_MINOR_VERSION}&qu...

"Tk editor application template" [http://wiki.tcl.tk/8288]
I'm using Tk/Tcl 8.6.4 under WinXP Pro SP3 My learning style is to tweak something that is almost what I want until it is. I have three identified problems: 1. What is proper syntax to invoke when sourced from another script? [Works as expected when clicking on filename.] The code reads: #-------------------------------------------------- # Execute the main procedure #-------------------------------------------------- myAppMain $argc $argv However no reference to "argc" exists. 2. How do I add a functional "Find" com...

How to open a pty from Tcl (or "please translate C example to Tcl")
Hello out there, still struggling with getting TCP/IP to work in my somewhat bizarre setup (TCP/IP over 10.000 Volt power-line modems) I got a hint to try to use a pseudo tty. I got the advice --- What you would do is write a small C program (or perl, or any of a number of other languages). This program would call the "openpty" function, which: - Locates the next available (unused) pseudo-TTY device in the system, - Opens both ends of it, into two different descriptors, - Returns the file-descriptor numbers for the two ends (the "slave" end which mimics a tty, and the master end that your program will be using as the intercept point), and the filename of the slave (e.g. "/dev/ptya0"). --- Q1: Any way I could accomplish this from Tcl? Well, knowing nothing about openpty and pseude ttys I hunted around and found the following code snippet: --- /* * Allocate pseudo tty, returns master side fd. * Stores slave name in the first arg(must be large enough). */ int pty_open(char *sl_name) { int mr_fd; char ptyname[] = "/dev/ptyXY"; char ch[] = "pqrstuvwxyz"; char digit[] = "0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv"; int l, m; /* This algorithm should work for almost all standard Unices */ for(l=0; ch[l]; l++ ) { for(m=0; digit[m]; m++ ) { ptyname[8] = ch[l]; ptyname[9] = digit[m]; /* Open the master */ if( (mr_fd=open(ptyname, O_RDWR)) < 0 ) continue...

Distribute app as "SIT", "ZIP", "DMG", "SEA", etc???
Hi. I have a Mac application. It's NOT a universal binary, but it IS a carbonized application. It runs on Mac OSX, and old Mac OS's back to OS 8.6 as long as the user has the CarbonLib extension active. My app, by the way, is VERY simple...just one file, the application...no other files, just the app. For years and years, I've been distributing this application as a simple SIT file. That was pretty standard, at least a while ago it was. But, now, every now and then, I get a comment from someone who has no idea what ".SIT" means, and apparently Apple no longer even installs StuffIt Expander on new OSX installs. So, what to do? I know Mac OSX now has it's own "Archive" capability and creates ZIPs, but I'm not sure old Mac's would know what to do with such a file. Does the same go for DMG's?? I have a very old version of StuffIT Deluxe, so I suppose I could make a "SEA", self-extracting application from it...that would presumably work on Mac OS 8.6 on up to OSX? How about using DiskUtil to create a DMG? Are DMG's created in OSX recognized back in the land of OS 8.6 or 9? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS! In article <031020061207108808%david@skjopasoao.com>, David <david@skjopasoao.com> wrote: > Hi. I have a Mac application. It's NOT a universal binary, but it IS a > carbonized application. It runs on Mac OSX, and old Mac OS's back to OS ...

Using "source" vs "package require" for Tcl application files
I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? What is the generally accepted practice? Thanks, Gregg On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I > generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package > mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? > > What is the generally accepted practice? > > Thanks, > > Gregg IMHO use [source]. My reasoning: - The package mechanism is meant for getting access to general-purpose libraries, installed directly under the Tcl installation. - You talk of source files for your own application. So I would expect these files to reside in a directory containing that application. Then [source] is easier to use - and you guarantee that you get the source files from your application (otherwise a random package with the same name from the installation could interfer, if you are not careful with the library path) - Using [source] also makes it clear that these files are meant for your application only, not for more general purposes. Regards, Arjen Arjen Markus wrote: > On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I >> gen...

"Tcl/Tk is a fringe language only used by cults"
While estimating a new project a few weeks ago I stated that my estimates were based on using Tcl/Tk, because the proposed project was very similar to others that we have done using Tcl/Tk. But the system architect informed me that "Tcl/Tk is a fringe language only used by cults" and that the new project would be done in C/C++. So now I'm exploring the wonders of MS Visual C/C++ for the first time; the only such IDE I've used previously is Sun Workshop. I have successfully compiled a DLL, but of course I need to *test* it, and... hmm... somehow it just happens to contain hooks so it's loadable and callable from Tcl. Gosh, how'd those get in there? Come to think of it, "c.l.t" does *look* an awful lot like "cult"! And one of the finest and friendliest cults on usenet it is, too. Sl�inte! Well at least he showed you his intelligence level up front... :-) Robert John Seal wrote: > architect informed me that "Tcl/Tk is a fringe language only used by > cults" and that the new project would be done in C/C++. So now I'm Bah, the world is full of silly ideas. Come and visit me sometime and I'll share them with you over a glass of koolaid. :D -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos John Seal wrote: > "Tcl/Tk is a fringe language only used by > cults" I agree. Tcl/Tk is a cult that has less members than cults like C/C++ YekSo...

[tcl/tk] Question
Hi, I'd like to set the size of the "entry" field as long as the text entered. Any ideas? the line looks like this: set ent_top [entry .aaa.bbb.ent_top -textvariable TOP] On 09/08/2011 14:07, Guy wrote: > I'd like to set the size of the "entry" field as long as the text entered. > > set ent_top [entry .aaa.bbb.ent_top -textvariable TOP] Put a write trace on TOP that sets the -width of the entry. You might want to have a minimum and maximum though; zero-width entries are hard to use, and you don't want a width more than that of the screen (just in case someone cut-n-paste's War and Peace in there…) Donal. Am 09.08.2011 16:40, schrieb Donal K. Fellows: > On 09/08/2011 14:07, Guy wrote: >> I'd like to set the size of the "entry" field as long as the text >> entered. >> >> set ent_top [entry .aaa.bbb.ent_top -textvariable TOP] > > Put a write trace on TOP that sets the -width of the entry. You might > want to have a minimum and maximum though; zero-width entries are hard > to use, and you don't want a width more than that of the screen (just in > case someone cut-n-paste's War and Peace in there…) > > Donal. Why not use the built-in easy way: Just set the widget's -width option to 0. From the "entry" man page: "... If the value is less than or equal to zero, the widget picks a size just large enough to hold its current text.&...

Web resources about - "No installer way" to distribute tcl/tk? - comp.lang.tcl

RedPlum Social Savings Allows Brands To Distribute Offers, Coupons Via Facebook
A new take on offers via Facebook was introduced by digital marketing firm Valassis , which rolled out its RedPlum Social Savings application ...

Build, Distribute and Promote
.block { display: inline-block; *display: inline; vertical-align: top; *zoom: 1; } .vc {...

GetJar Helps Facebook Distribute One Million Mobile Apps A Week
With Facebook’s rapid growth around the world, more and more of its new users have been accessing the site through their mobile phones . And ...

AOL History : How much did it cost AOL to distribute all those CDs back in the 1990s?
Answer (1 of 6): A lot! I don't remember the total spending but do recall in the early 1990s our target was to spend 10% of lifetime revenue ...

The Gideons International in Canada, St. Thomas Camp- Distribute Bibles to Schools, 1973
... Phillips, left, representing the St. Thomas camp of the Gideons International and Dr. Harry Rodney stand beside a display of bibles to be distributed ...

Toner Warehouse to distribute Fuji Xerox’s printers
Fuji Xerox’s printer division has appointed Toner Warehouse as its authorised distributor of printer products in Australia.

Migrant crisis: Germany and Sweden press EU to distribute refugees equitably
The EU is expected to announce a new proposal to deal with the crisis - but past quotas for member countries have drawn fierce criticism.

Netflix competitor Quickflix has done a deal with Foxtel to distribute Presto
... and Seven West Media’s Presto and local ASX-listed player Quickflix get into bed together. Foxtel has done a deal with Quickflix to distribute ...

NBA Wrap: Matthew Dellavedova distributes for Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers, Kobe ...
MATTHEW Dellavedova stepped up as distributor for the Cavaliers, the Raptors lose their second straight, and has Kobe played his last game at ...

BitTorrent, used by pirates, offers to distribute pulled Sony film The Interview
The file-sharing platform claims to be "the best" way for Sony to release its film in the wake of terror threats.