[Tcl] How to do "command with timeout"?

Ok, an example:

set fail [catch {gets stdin} result]

if { $fail } {
    if { $result == "interrupted" } {
    }

It passed thru the condition, because in 10 seconds the used did not enter
anything. How to program such a behavior?

I tried with enclosing it in a procedure (should be level #1 then) and I used
"after 10000 uplevel #1 return". However this script was invalid - despite
that the code actually executed was level #1, the "after" command (after 10000
ms of course) reported that #1 is invalid level.

Does anyone know any other way to program "break on timeout" for a command in
Tcl? I've found nothing on wiki.tcl.tk for 'timeout' keyword.

--
//  _    ___         Michal "Sektor" Malecki <sektor(whirl)kis.p.lodz.pl>
\\ L_ |/ `|  /^\ ,()                         <ethourhs(O)wp.pl>

* Sektor van Skijlen <ethouris@pl.spamu.lubie.nie.wp.invalid>
| It passed thru the condition, because in 10 seconds the used did not
| enter anything. How to program such a behavior?

You need to avoid TCL getting blocked in an I/O operation.  I suggest
to set up a fileevent for the channel in question, which calls some
input-handler-function when input arrives.  Then set up the timeout
via `after', and cancel that timer in the input-handler.

Schematically:

  proc timeout {} {
     puts stderr timeout
     exit 1
  }
  proc handle_input {} {
     after cancel $::after_id
     read stdin line
     # process input in $line
  }

  set after_id [after 10000 timeout]
  fconfigure stdin -blocking 0 -buffering line
  fileevent stdin readable handle_input

The wiki at http://mini.net/tcl also has plenty of information.

R'
0
ralfixx (1283)

tcl command "type"
Hello i am under windows xp family and Tcl/Tk 8.4 in the book "SAMS teach yourself Tcl/Tk" isbn 0-672-31749-4 page 154 listing 9.6 i find the following code source myfile.tcl type myfile.tcl when i code it i obtain the following error invalid command name "type" in the man pages "http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TclCmd/" if cannot find this command. my question is: if after having source any myfile.tcl i want to print it in the console is there a command to do it ? many thanks in advance for helping and explaining. Jerome suchodj@wanadoo.fr wrote: > Hello > i am under windows xp family and Tcl/Tk 8.4 > > in the book "SAMS teach yourself Tcl/Tk" isbn 0-672-31749-4 > page 154 listing 9.6 i find the following code > > source myfile.tcl > type myfile.tcl > > when i code it i obtain the following error > > invalid command name "type" > > in the man pages "http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TclCmd/" if cannot find > this command. > > my question is: if after having source any myfile.tcl i want to > print it in the console is there a command to do it ? No, there is not. There are a myriad of ways to do this, though I'm puzzled why you would need to. You can simply open the file up with your editor of choice. If you really want the contents dumped to the screen, you can read it in and print it out. Perhaps the SAMS book has you write a procedure to d...

Tcl "source" command
I'm trying to have two programs interact. One is a compiled FOrtran code and the other is a Tcl/Tk script. I have the Fortran code write a snip of Tcl I wish the script to "source" to effectively do what the code is saying to do. I think I am getting hung up with WHEN the "source" is happening. If I have, as I do, other instances of a file being sourced that occurs when a button is pressed, that "source" is apparently hidden from being done as the program starts. The "source" I am trying to do in an "if" block (determining whether the file to be sourced exists or not) happens "right now" and, as the file that needs to be sourced does not exist, the script fails. I need a way to "conditionally" execute the "source" command without the "source .." having to be associated with a button. There must be a way to do this. Bruce Graham wrote: > I'm trying to have two programs interact. One is a compiled FOrtran > code and the other is a Tcl/Tk script. I have the Fortran code write a > snip of Tcl I wish the script to "source" to effectively do what the > code is saying to do. I think I am getting hung up with WHEN the > "source" is happening. If I have, as I do, other instances of a file > being sourced that occurs when a button is pressed, that "source" is > apparently hidden from being done as the progra...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

TCL "unknown" command does not work...
Hello, I have done my own application. This application embeds a TCL interpreter (tcl8.4). I have a little issue with the "unknown" command: when I type "unknown ls" in my TCL interpreter I have the following message : invalid command name "ls" But when I type "unknown ls" in tclsh, the bash ls command is executed. I want to have the same behaviour than tclsh. Does anyone know what I am missing here ? Fabrice fabrice.dufour@gmail.com wrote: > I have done my own application. This application embeds a TCL > interpreter (tcl8.4). I have a little issue with the "unknown" command: > > when I type "unknown ls" in my TCL interpreter I have the following > message : > invalid command name "ls" > But when I type "unknown ls" in tclsh, the bash ls command is executed. > > I want to have the same behaviour than tclsh. Does anyone know what I > am missing here ? Check the value of $::tcl_interactive in the two cases you describe. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| Ok, thanks for the rapid answer ! It solves the problems. In tclsh, tcl_interactive is set to 1, whereas in my app it is simply not set ! I simply &quo...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"or" and "and"

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

"my" and "our"

How to do PHP "require()" or TCL "source" in bash script
I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to explain this any better than this. In PHP we have a command "require()" that obtains a file and logically places it into another file. I cannot figure out how to do this in bash script as the requirement is necessary for a migration script to obtain the code from a .cfg file and then be able for the "parent" script to run the code it "imported" from the .cfg file, much like PHP's require() or TCL's "source". This is what I have so far and it fails: if [ -f ivc.cfg ]; then cat ivc.cfg fi Anyone...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Looking for binary "expect" and "TCL/Tk" (if required) for OpenServer6
Does anybody know where to find "expect" (and related requirements) for OpenServer6? I can download the source files from nist.gov, but they do not compile. The MAN pages are already loaded on the system, so I suspect the programs would be on the distribution media somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick On 9 Feb, 17:57, Rick_Hoyle <motosl...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Does anybody know where to find "expect" (and related requirements) > for OpenServer6? I can download the source files from nist.gov, but > they do not compile. The MAN pages are al...

PHP equivalent of TCL command "subst"?
I need to find a PHP equivalent to a very familiar TCL command "subst" (see http://www.hume.com/html84/mann/subst.html ). This command will take a string and evaluate anything TCL inside of it and return values. for example, if this were my line: [TCL] set word {World} set line {Hello #word#} regsub -all {#([^#]+)#} $line {$$1} line return [subst $line] [/TCL] My return should be Hello World and not Hello #word# Nor Hello $word Because of a requirement for my app I am having to do the same kind of substitution variation, however, I am having to do it entirely in PHP. I don...

How to open a pty from Tcl (or "please translate C example to Tcl")
Hello out there, still struggling with getting TCP/IP to work in my somewhat bizarre setup (TCP/IP over 10.000 Volt power-line modems) I got a hint to try to use a pseudo tty. I got the advice --- What you would do is write a small C program (or perl, or any of a number of other languages). This program would call the "openpty" function, which: - Locates the next available (unused) pseudo-TTY device in the system, - Opens both ends of it, into two different descriptors, - Returns the file-descriptor numbers for the two ends (the "slave" end which mimics a tty, and the master end that your program will be using as the intercept point), and the filename of the slave (e.g. "/dev/ptya0"). --- Q1: Any way I could accomplish this from Tcl? Well, knowing nothing about openpty and pseude ttys I hunted around and found the following code snippet: --- /* * Allocate pseudo tty, returns master side fd. * Stores slave name in the first arg(must be large enough). */ int pty_open(char *sl_name) { int mr_fd; char ptyname[] = "/dev/ptyXY"; char ch[] = "pqrstuvwxyz"; char digit[] = "0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv"; int l, m; /* This algorithm should work for almost all standard Unices */ for(l=0; ch[l]; l++ ) { for(m=0; digit[m]; m++ ) { ptyname[8] = ch[l]; ptyname[9] = digit[m]; /* Open the master */ if( (mr_fd=open(ptyname, O_RDWR)) < 0 ) continue...

Using "source" vs "package require" for Tcl application files
I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? What is the generally accepted practice? Thanks, Gregg On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I > generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package > mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? > > What is the generally accepted practice? > > Thanks, > > Gregg IMHO use [source]. My reasoning: - The package mechanism is meant for getting access to general-purpose libraries, installed directly under the Tcl installation. - You talk of source files for your own application. So I would expect these files to reside in a directory containing that application. Then [source] is easier to use - and you guarantee that you get the source files from your application (otherwise a random package with the same name from the installation could interfer, if you are not careful with the library path) - Using [source] also makes it clear that these files are meant for your application only, not for more general purposes. Regards, Arjen Arjen Markus wrote: > On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I >> gen...

Is there something like tcl "send" command in Python
Is there somethin like tcl "send" command in Python. I would like to be able to exucate calls in a python program on one machine from another machine. Peter Gordon wrote: > Is there somethin like tcl "send" command in Python. I would like to > be able to exucate calls in a python program on one machine from > another machine. After you added some infrastructure such as Pyro (http://pyro.sourceforge.net), you can essentially invoke methods on objects on arbitrary machines. --Irmen Irmen de Jong wrote: > Peter Gordon wrote: >> Is there somethin like tcl ...

Generating Tcl extension with Swig--"invalid command"

question about excecute a Tcl command by "echo...... | tclsh"
Hi there, I am trying to excecute some TCL command in MS-DOS prompt, as I want to pass the command to another program " Labview", I use the following method: echo set w 1;set w |tclsh I found I can not get the value "w" , the only way I can show the value of "w" is to put a "puts" command in front of a command. For example: echo set w 1;puts [set w] |tclsh 1 my question is: are there anyway to avoid using "puts" to get the value, because if I have several TCL commands, in order to get the value, I have to put "puts" in front of every TCL command, that's not convenient. thanks, Mike On Aug 21, 7:56 am, mike.hfzh...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi there, > I am trying to excecute some TCL command in MS-DOS prompt, as I want > to pass the command to another program " Labview", I use the following > method: > > echo set w 1;set w |tclsh > > I found I can not get the value "w" , the only way I can show the > value of "w" is to put a "puts" command in front of a command. For > example: > > echo set w 1;puts [set w] |tclsh > 1 > > my question is: are there anyway to avoid using "puts" to get the > value, because if I have several TCL commands, in order to get the > value, You are getting two separate concepts mixed up here. Your first attempt is already correct and the last command, [set w] already "gets" the va...

Is "Strategic Command" = "Strategic Command European Theatre"?
I've seen some discussion here of a game usually referenced as "Strategic Command" and decided to give it a try. Searching for it, I found a game at battlefront.com called Strategic Command European Theatre - is that the same game? I guess I had the impression that the game covered the whole globe, not just Europe/Med area. If this is the same game, I have another question: from the screenshots, it appears that you only have one unit in each hex, is that correct? No stacking at all? I will probably have more questions before I decide to plunk down my $$$, but I first...

Eliminate the need for "{}" or "\ " after commands?
Hello. Usually, a TeX command in text mode will eat a trailing space, so if you want a space after the command in the final document, you have to put a "{}" or "\ " after the command. For example, "\TeX book" will produce "TeXbook", whereas "\TeX{} book" or "\TeX\ book" will produce "TeX book". It seems there is a way around this. By chance I was looking at the source code for the documentation for the package "etoolbox". I notice that it has some command names followed simply by spaces - and the spaces show up in the TeX'ed output. This appears to be a result of the "ltxdockit" document class. Here is a minimal working example: \documentclass{ltxdockit} \begin{document} \tex book, \tex{}book, \tex-book \end{document} This produces the output: TeX book, TeXbook, TeX-book I have taken a look at the source code for the "ltxdockit" document class, but it is much too wicked code for me to figure out. Can anyone tell me what is going on? If there is a way to eliminate the need for "{}" or "\ " after commands, then I would love to know it. Thanks in advance. Claus Appel On May 9, 12:56=A0am, "Spectrum (Claus Appel)" <spectru...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello. > > Usually, a TeX command in text mode will eat a trailing space, so if > you want a space after the command in the final document, you have to > put a "{}"...

"Vectors" in tcl?
Hi all, What is my "best" alternative in handling vectors in Tcl? ("best" as in using a package available in ActiveTcl. I know about VecTcl, but...) I want to use a vector (potentially large, as in half a million boolean values). If this vector is created with all zeros, and I want to turn some of them (I have their indices as a tcl list) to 1. Right now I am using a tcl list, but I need to loop over this list, and set each one to 1. And I was wondering if there is a faster way (as in doing it with a single tcl command). I was looking at the the math:...

"open with" tcl
hi, i just joined here today. have been reading and learning tcl/tk to help convert my VB6/MSwindows programs to tcl/tk on gnu/linux (debian , gnome). i have a tcl script that includes a text widget and menu and i can load, edit, save text files via the menu. but i would also like to start the tcl script and load a text file directly from the gnome file browser utility, using the "open with .... " option on the right mouse button. when i do "open with ...." and select the tcl script, the script starts up but the selected file does not load into the text widget. i understand that i'm missing a piece of the technology here, and any guidance would be appreciated. regards daveleo daveleo wrote: > hi, i just joined here today. > have been reading and learning tcl/tk to help convert my VB6/MSwindows > programs to tcl/tk on gnu/linux (debian , gnome). > > i have a tcl script that includes a text widget and menu and i can > load, edit, save text files via the menu. > but i would also like to start the tcl script and load a text file > directly from the gnome file browser utility, using the "open with .... > " option on the right mouse button. > > when i do "open with ...." and select the tcl script, the script > starts up but the selected file does not load into the text widget. You're going to have to figure out how Gnome is passing that information to your script. You could write a s...

Web resources about - [Tcl] How to do "command with timeout"? - comp.lang.tcl