"Tcl/Tk 8.5 tutorial" - Apparently not available as single file?

All the documentation at http://tcl.tk/man/ is available as
*html.tar.gz except "Tcl/Tk 8.5 tutorial". Is there a reason or
just an accident of history.

I have ActiveTcl installed and its associated
ActiveTclHelp8.6.chm . This trifocal wearing senior citizen finds
it impossible to read comfortably. I prefer HTML as I have my
browser configured for legibility. I wish to have the tutorial
available on my machine.

0
Richard

>=20
> I have ActiveTcl installed and its associated=20
> ActiveTclHelp8.6.chm . This trifocal wearing senior citizen finds=20
> it impossible to read comfortably. I prefer HTML as I have my=20
> browser configured for legibility. I wish to have the tutorial=20
> available on my machine.

A solution is to put the pages on your PC using httrack : http://www.httrac=
k.com/page/1/en/index.html. After installation and having given a "project =
name" and the path of a directory of your choice ( ex : xyz )  just then po=
int the address to http://tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html . Lau=
nch it . At the end, it will last a few minutes, you will see a file "index=
..html" in "xyz" directory . And... just doubleclick and here you are...

It is web copier that you can use for a set of pages. The default settings =
are such that you will download the necessary pages, not all the website, w=
hich is not legal I think.=20

Olivier.
0
Olivier
3/11/2016 3:18:46 PM
On 3/11/2016 9:18 AM, Olivier wrote:

>> I have ActiveTcl installed and its associated
>> ActiveTclHelp8.6.chm . This trifocal wearing senior citizen finds
>> it impossible to read comfortably. I prefer HTML as I have my
>> browser configured for legibility. I wish to have the tutorial
>> available on my machine.
>
> A solution is to put the pages on your PC using httrack : http://www.httrack.com/page/1/en/index.html. After installation and having given a "project name" and the path of a directory of your choice ( ex : xyz )  just then point the address to http://tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html . Launch it . At the end, it will last a few minutes, you will see a file "index.html" in "xyz" directory . And... just doubleclick and here you are...
>
> It is web copier that you can use for a set of pages. The default settings are such that you will download the necessary pages, not all the website, which is not legal I think.
>
> Olivier.

*DUH* Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks [or at least
remind them of old ones].
I've had it it installed for years. I was avoiding it because I
misunderstood how it stored the downloaded pages. It's so simple
to run that I had never looked at its documentation ;< It turns
out part of my confusion was not understanding HTML's "href" as
well as I thought I did.

Thank you.

0
Richard
3/12/2016 12:53:46 PM
Em 12/03/16 12:53, Richard Owlett escreveu:
> On 3/11/2016 9:18 AM, Olivier wrote:
>> [...]
>> A solution is to put the pages on your PC using httrack

You may want to also take a look at wget (probably available on most
linuxes): https://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

--
{ricardo from kozmate.net}
0
On 3/12/2016 1:15 PM, Ricardo kozmate.net wrote:
> Em 12/03/16 12:53, Richard Owlett escreveu:
>> On 3/11/2016 9:18 AM, Olivier wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> A solution is to put the pages on your PC using httrack
>
> You may want to also take a look at wget (probably available on
> most linuxes): https://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

A quick look suggests it may be useful for another project. It
also states it is available for Windows  also [see
http://wget.addictivecode.org/Faq#download].
0
Richard

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

Tcl 8,5 tutorial errata on page "More Examples Of Regular Expressions"
Hi, In the Tcl 8.5 tutorial, a page titled "More Examples Of Regular Expressions" may contain errata in the following Tcl code: " set string "Again and again and again ..." if { [regexp {(\y\w+\y).+\1} $string => word] } { puts "The word $word occurs at least twice" } " You can see that the command 'regexp' sets a value into a variable called '=>'. This can be proved by executing the following code: " set string "Again and again and again ..." if { [regexp {(\y\w+\y).+\1} $string => word] } { puts "The word $word occurs at least twice" } upvar #0 "=>" x puts "$x" " I guess that the author meant to write something else? It doesn't make sense to have a variable named "=>". Here's a link to the relevant page in the tutorial: http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/Tcl20a.html Thank you. On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 08:43:08 UTC+11, dor...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, >=20 >=20 >=20 > In the Tcl 8.5 tutorial, a page titled "More Examples Of Regular Expressi= ons" may contain errata in the following Tcl code: >=20 >=20 >=20 > " >=20 >=20 >=20 > set string "Again and again and again ..." >=20 > if { [regexp {(\y\w+\y).+\1} $string =3D> word] } { >=20 > puts "The word $word occurs at least twic...

3 problems with "A small editor in 8.5.0" ( http://wiki.tcl.tk/20542)
I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.6.4 under WinXP Pro. Problem 1. I don't see any where to specify desired font. There is a code fragment saying ----------- proc textfenster {mframe {master {}}} { if {$master eq {}} { text [set mframe].t -bg white -xscrollcommand [ ---------------------------- which I edited to be ----------- proc textfenster {mframe {master {}}} { if {$master eq {}} { text [set mframe].t -font "Courier 20" -bg white -xscrollcommand [ ---------------------------- It made no difference. Problem 2. Although moving the butto...

Looking for binary "expect" and "TCL/Tk" (if required) for OpenServer6
Does anybody know where to find "expect" (and related requirements) for OpenServer6? I can download the source files from nist.gov, but they do not compile. The MAN pages are already loaded on the system, so I suspect the programs would be on the distribution media somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick On 9 Feb, 17:57, Rick_Hoyle <motosl...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Does anybody know where to find "expect" (and related requirements) > for OpenServer6? I can download the source files from nist.gov, but > they do not compile. The MAN pages are al...

TCL Google Groups vs Google+ community "Tcl/Tk Users"
Hi All, Today I came across the Google+ community "Tcl/Tk Users". The community seems to be in its infancy with only a few posts, but I am sure there must have been some announcement that I totally missed. My question is, are there any plans to move this forum to Google+, or is the idea to run Google Groups in parallel with the Google+ community? Cheers TM Am 22.03.2013 11:40, schrieb TM: > Hi All, > > Today I came across the Google+ community "Tcl/Tk Users". The community seems to be in its infancy with only a few posts, but I am sure there must have been some announcement that I totally missed. > > My question is, are there any plans to move this forum to Google+, or is the idea to run Google Groups in parallel with the Google+ community? > > Cheers > TM > This is the Usenet, using protocol NNTP, read about it. It has nothing to do with Google. /Str. TM wrote: > Hi All, > > Today I came across the Google+ community "Tcl/Tk Users". The community seems to be in its > infancy with only a few posts, but I am sure there must have been some announcement that I > totally missed. > > My question is, are there any plans to move this forum to Google+, or is the idea to run Google > Groups in parallel with the Google+ community? > > Cheers TM This here nntp net news. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_New...

[Tcl] file copy does not "touch" file. Why?
In a situation, when both source and destination files exist, file copy (with -force of course) does not update the last modification time of the destination file. This "feature" has a strong impact on cooperation with 'make'. Is that really intended? I have to do 'touch' externally to make it correct. The external "cp" command on unix does touch the destination file. -- // _ ___ Michal "Sektor" Malecki <sektor(whirl)kis.p.lodz.pl> \\ L_ |/ `| /^\ ,() <ethourhs(O)gmail.com> // \_ |\ \/ \_/ /\ C++...

Using "Open with" in windows to process a file with a tcl/tk scripts?
I have the following problem in windows 2000. I have written a TCL/TK script which process xml files. Now I will like to be able select the xml file using the windows file manager and use "open with" to startup the tcl/tk scripts and pass the xml file as argument. When I do this now I get an error telling that the xml file is not a valid win32 application. Any ideas of how to do this? Thanks in advance Hello, You should enter something similar to: c:\path\to\wish.exe "C:\path\to\xmleditor.tcl" "%1" Regards, -- Ramon Rib� http://gatxan.cimne.u...

tcl 8.5.2 gives error on runtime arg "-c"
Hi. I'm getting this error when launching a tcl script from a shell with "-c some_argument" with tcl 8.5.2 Application initialization failed: bad window path name "some_argument" I've searched the manpage and several documentation sources and have not found any restrictions over supplying runtime flag/arguments. Is this a bug or a hidden feature? dewuf wrote: > Hi. I'm getting this error when launching a tcl script from a shell > with "-c some_argument" with tcl 8.5.2 > > Application initialization failed: bad window path name > &...

Using Tcl::Tk Module with Tcl/Tk 8.5
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, as it is with relation to the Tcl::Tk module, rather than Perl/Tk specifically. I'd like to use Tcl::Tk with Tcl/Tk 8.5 rather than 8.4. To that end, on a clean Debian Testing system I have installed only Tcl/Tk 8.5 and also finally managed to install the Tcl::Tk module. I was having problems installing the Tcl-0.95 module, which Tcl::Tk depends on, but fixed it with a specific include path call: >sudo perl Makefile.PL --tclsh /usr/bin/tclsh8.5 --tclconfig /usr/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh --include /usr/include/tcl8.5 Fo...

BLT bug 886267: "Compile trouble with Tcl/Tk 8.5a0" reported
I just reported a bug against BLT, number 886267: "Compile trouble with Tcl/Tk 8.5a0" Compiling against Tcl/Tk the Tcl/Tk pre-Alpha 8.5a0 fails with some functions confilctingly declared. Examples are Tcl_FindCommand, Tcl_CreateNamespace, Tcl_FindNamespace, and Tcl_Export. These are being redeclared in bltNsUtil.h, having also been declared in tclDecls.h -- Rich Wurth / rwurth@att.net / Rumson, NJ 07760 USA Consultant to the telecom industry rwurth@att.net (R. T. Wurth) wrote: >I just reported a bug against BLT, number 886267: "Compile trouble >with Tcl/Tk 8.5...

Are Tcl and Tk "inseparable"?
Hi, I am a Ruby user and probably I will have to use Tk in order to get nice GUIs. Now, the problem is that: Learning a new language (Ruby) is already time consuming enough. Do I have to learn also Tcl in order to use Tk? Can't I use Tk alone? (Umm, well, not so alone, together with Ruby, I mean) Thanks in advance. Surgeon schrieb: > Hi, > > I am a Ruby user and probably I will have to use Tk in order to get > nice GUIs. Now, the problem is that: Learning a new language (Ruby) is > already time consuming enough. Do I have to learn also Tcl in order to > use Tk? Can&#...

"Sayonara Tcl/Tk"
It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=333 Στις 29/4/2013 11:49, ο/η saxo3800@gmail.com έγραψε: > It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. > > http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=333 > I think that he has a point regarding threads. George On Apr 29, 11:02=C2=A0am, Georgios Petasis <peta...@iit.demokritos.gr> wrote: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 29/4/2013 11:49, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 saxo3...@gmail.co= m =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: > > > It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. > > >http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=3D16&t=3D333 > > I think that he has a point regarding threads. Sure. Though I'm curious to know what specific problem of his is so much better served by explicit locks and shared vars than by message passing, given the context. It's not as if he was worried by lost nanoseconds in mutex contention. -Alex Στις 29/4/2013 20:07, ο/η Alexandre Ferrieux έγραψε: > On Apr 29, 11:02 am, Georgios Petasis <peta...@iit.demokritos.gr> > wrote: >> Στις 29/4/2013 11:49, ο/η saxo3...@gmail.com έγραψε: >> >>> It seems that someone is really upset about Tcl/Tk. >> >>> http://forum.sqlitestudio.pl/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=333 >> >> I think that he has a point regarding threads. > > Sure. Though I'...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

ANN: Tcl-Tk-Aqua 8.4.14 "universal" installer for OS X
The Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages are distributions of the core Tcl/Tk libraries, plus the Tile theming extension, built to support the PPC and Intel architectures of the Mac OS X platforms. They can be downlaoded at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/index.html. OVERVIEW OF PACKAGES The Tcl/Tk "Universal" package for Mac OS X are based on the current version of Tcl/Tk at the time of this build, 8.4.14. The Tile extension is version 0.7.8. The packages support the native Aqua version. Aqua The "Aqua" package supports the native Mac windowing env...

BWidget tree can't be "packed" in latest tcl/tk (8.6.b1.1)
With windows (2k/xp) and 8.6b1 tcl/tk in a tclkit my code works. I just found a newer tclkit, 8.6b1.1 and the below test code is now suddenly broken. It gets an error on the second pack statement: "cannot use geometry manager pack inside .wtree_top.sw which already has slaves managed by grid" Is there a new restriction (or one that is now enforced) that has recently been added that causes this to break? It would be a rather sad development if I could no longer use BWidget trees with the pack manager. -------------------------------------- I built my own tclk...

Have "Host" but empty "Available Files" list
Hi. I am using FM8.5 and FM Server 8 on Macs. I have a database serving on one Intel iMac (10.4.8) and can access the database correctly via remote login in FM8.5 running on the same Mac. The available files are listed correctly so I assume they are configured correctly (network access all users, don't display in open remote dialog not ticked, fmsadmin group, read/write privileges, etc.). However, on another networked Mac running FM8.5 also, I can see the Host name okay (the IP address of the Mac running the server), but the "Available Files" list remains empty. Any ideas? Thanks...

checkbuttons in tcl 8.4.12 and 8.5a4 with -offvalue == ""?
Hello, I just realized some differences between the checkbuttons visualisation in tcl 8.4 and 8.5. If the offvalue of a checkbutton is set to "" (empty string) and the checkbutton is not "checked", than ... - in tcl 8.4.12 the background is white - in tcl 8.5a4 the background is grey and the "check" is still visible That's a bug, isn't it? If the offvalue is " " (one blank), than every thing works. Best regards, Martin Lemburg UGS - Transforming the Process of Innovation MartinLemburg@UGS wrote: > Hello, > > I just reali...

upload ".zip" file [transfer files using tcl script]
I want to upload .zip file from my windows box to unix box i mean i want to transfer files using tcl script. Thanks in advance file transfer protocol - ftp - is the protocol of choice. A wiki page "Simple ftp uploader" shows an example using the ftp package. May I suggest to access the wiki page per http://taipu.de/ida.htm, to get pointed to the wiki page http://wiki.tcl.tk/1502 with minimal typing effort? best regards, Roland Frank senthilvaishnavi schrieb: > I want to upload .zip file from my windows box to unix box i mean i > want to transfer files using...

not equal? "5".to_i+ "6".to_i and "5".to_i +"6".to_i
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25 patchlevel 12) [i686-linux] >> "5".to_i+ "6".to_i => 11 >> "5".to_i +"6".to_i => 5 maybe it's a mistak? > >> "5".to_i+ "6".to_i > => 11 > >> "5".to_i +"6".to_i > => 5 The second case +"6".to_i is treated as an argument for to_i method. This will make it more obvious: >> "111".to_i +"2".to_i => 7 "111".to_i +"2".to_i is equivalent to "111".to_i(2), hence the result....

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

"pipe" in Tcl 8.5ff
Hi, I am looking for a replacement of the "pipe" command of tclx. This command creates a FIFO and returns one fd for reading and one for writing. A similar command in C is #include <unistd.h> int pipe(int pipefd[2]); How do I do that with plain Tcl (version >= 8.5)? Best regards Ole Στις 8/8/2013 2:38 μμ, ο/η Olе Streicher έγραψε: > Hi, > > I am looking for a replacement of the "pipe" command of tclx. This > command creates a FIFO and returns one fd for reading and one for > writing. A similar command in C is > > #include <unistd.h> > int pipe(int pipefd[2]); > > How do I do that with plain Tcl (version >= 8.5)? > > Best regards > > Ole > In tcl 8.6, with the "chan pipe" command. In tcl 8.5, with the tclpipe extension: http://wiki.tcl.tk/21637 If you need this for executing commands, see the man page for "open" and possibly "exec". George Hi George, George Petasis <petasisg@yahoo.gr> writes: > Στις 8/8/2013 2:38 μμ, ο/η Olе Streicher έγραψε: >> I am looking for a replacement of the "pipe" command of tclx. > In tcl 8.6, with the "chan pipe" command. In tcl 8.5, with the tclpipe > extension: > > http://wiki.tcl.tk/21637 Is there a way to do it in plain tcl, without the need to compile an external package? > If you need this for executing commands, ...

"prompt" dialog for Tcl/Tk
Hey folks, I noticed Tk has some handy default modal dialogs: tk_messageBox, tk_chooseDirectory, tk_openFile, and so on. One particular form of dialog I would like to find - but don't know if it exists - is a "prompt" dialog similar to a browser's native "prompt" dialog for JavaScript, which pops up a modal dialog with a label, a single text entry field, and "OK" and "Cancel" buttons, and returns the string value of its entry field when the user clicks "OK" (or null if the user clicks "Cancel"). Since browser makers have se...

"Multithreaded" tcl/tk problem?
Hello In short: I ran into serious problems when developing multithreded Tcl/ Tk application in C. After spending (literally!) weeks on debugging and tests, I believe that it narrows down to Tcl/Tk bugs in multithread mode. I tried to find something over net on such problems, but to no success :-( I'll be very grateful if someone could confirm that, or perhaps point out what I'm doing wrong...here's detailed description: I have Win32 C++ application (SCADA/HMI program) which may contain several (from zero to literally hundreths) independent Tcl/Tk "modules". Module is m...

now do you "link" .tcl files?
Hello, I am trying to accomplish the most basic form of "linking" files, with Tcl, and I am having difficulty. I have 2 .tcl files in the same dir: lib.tcl and prog.tcl, and I want to define a proc in lib.tcl, but use it in prog.tcl. What is the right way to do this? I did manage to accomplish this, by doing source lib.tcl in prog.tcl The problem with this approach, is that depending on where I call tclsh from, I have to change the above line. For example, if I call it from a subdirectory, I have to do: source ..\\prog.tcl So this is certainly not the right way to do link...

"or" and "and"

Web resources about - "Tcl/Tk 8.5 tutorial" - Apparently not available as single file? - comp.lang.tcl