"You can't put Tcl on your resume."

I'm going to have to start a list of the astute observations about Tcl
that have been made around here lately!  This one joins "Tcl/Tk is a
fringe language only used by cults".
0
sealj (149)

John Seal napisał(a):
> I'm going to have to start a list of the astute observations about Tcl
> that have been made around here lately!  This one joins "Tcl/Tk is a
> fringe language only used by cults".

Oh yes, some time ago I suggested writing a database administration
application in Tcl/Tk/Oratcl and I was called "hardcore" and "extreme"
in the beginning by one Java programmer.

Now that I've offloaded part of his work and developed it faster than he
would have, he is happy with it. And my bosses have accepted the idea.

I guess this company would be one of those where you would add Tcl as an
addition (it's still a Java based company), but they'll be welcome to
see it :-)

--
WK
Wojciech Kocjan wrote:
> John Seal napisal(a):
> > I'm going to have to start a list of the astute observations about
Tcl
> > that have been made around here lately!  This one joins "Tcl/Tk is
> > fringe language only used by cults".
>
> Oh yes, some time ago I suggested writing a database administration
> application in Tcl/Tk/Oratcl and I was called "hardcore" and
"extreme"
> in the beginning by one Java programmer.
>
> Now that I've offloaded part of his work and developed it faster than
he
> would have, he is happy with it. And my bosses have accepted the
idea.

> I guess this company would be one of those where you would add Tcl as
an
> addition (it's still a Java based company), but they'll be welcome to

> see it :-)
>
> --
> WK

The "back door" is sometimes the best way to show somethings strength.
: )

Robert

0
sigzero (1319)
4/15/2005 1:18:23 PM
"John Seal" <sealj@indy.raytheon.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to have to start a list of the astute observations about Tcl
> that have been made around here lately!  This one joins "Tcl/Tk is a
> fringe language only used by cults".

If you want a job in the computer networking industy writing software
automation you better have TCL on your resume.  I have seen a few applicants
from companies that use Perl.  The reason why they are applying is because
the company is going out of business.  Their business decisions are probably
as bad as their engineering decisions.

John Seal wrote:

> I'm going to have to start a list of the astute observations about Tcl
> that have been made around here lately!  This one joins "Tcl/Tk is a
> fringe language only used by cults".

Yeah, like "No IT manager can go wrong choosing IBM." When the mini and then
the PC revolution (started ironically by IBM) came along a lot of those
loyalists ended up driving taxicabs.

But I suggest a birthday present for that guy, a mint copy of Douglas
MacArthur's monograph, "The Future of the Horse in Modern Combat."
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

-Todd

0
thelfter (145)
4/15/2005 3:48:03 PM
"Wojciech Kocjan" <hceicjow.backward@kocjan.org> wrote in message
> John Seal napisal(a):
>> I'm going to have to start a list of the astute observations about Tcl
>> that have been made around here lately!  This one joins "Tcl/Tk is a
>> fringe language only used by cults".
>
> Oh yes, some time ago I suggested writing a database administration
> application in Tcl/Tk/Oratcl and I was called "hardcore" and "extreme" in
> the beginning by one Java programmer.

This is a job spec that explicitly refers to Tcl.  Doesn't even mention java
even though WebSphere is a Java application server.

_________________________
Job is to AIX Admin and help upgrade from AIX v4.3 to v5.1 or v5.1 to v5.2.
Essential AIX Admin is a pre-requisite. NT Admin would be desirable. WAS
admin ideally v3.5 and v5.1 but v4 would be ok. Experience TCL scripting.
Experience of shell scripting, TCL Scripting and IBM HTTP server. Candidate
will be involved in releasing code and admin. Tasks to include:
� Lead Unix Systems Administrator & WebSphere administrator in Web Support
Team responsible for supporting development and test environments of over 20
AIX Servers with WebSphere, DB2 and IBM HTTP Server.
� Installation, Configuration and Administration of WebSphere Application
Server 3.5, IBM HTTP Server.
� Developing and maintaining Web Site Recovery scripts to resume bank's
website operations in the event of disaster.
� Web Self Service: The role in the project involved windows 2000
administration including hardening using security templates, creating batch
files to perform various application specific administrative tasks, access
rights for application users, Design and implementation of the web site
recovery solution for the module.
� Installation, Configuration and Administration of WebSphere Transcoding
Publisher on AIX 4.3
� Installation and configuration of Edge Server 2.0 on AIX 4.3
� Developing and maintaining shell scripts to perform various administrative
tasks, WebSphere code installation.
� Installation and system administration of RS6000 servers with AIX
4.3.3.The responsibilities include applying maintenance releases, performing
backups, user management and software maintenance.

0
chppxf13 (17)
4/17/2005 3:01:34 PM
Patrick napisa�(a):
> This is a job spec that explicitly refers to Tcl.  Doesn't even mention java
> even though WebSphere is a Java application server.

Well, the web application is in J2EE, that's the Java part. They also
wanted to build a J2EE based administrative panel, but I wrote a Tcl/Tk
based one.

--
WK
thelfter@gmail.com napisał(a):
> Details John.  What version of oratcl did you use?  Did you like it?

Oratcl 4.3. Well I did write a wrapper that generated all the procs.

request adminuser.grants {
     input id_adminuser int32
     output type int32
     query {
         SELECT type FROM adminuser_grant WHERE
             adminuser_id_adminuser = :id_adminuser
     }
}

This also builds the client-server protocol - using binary scan/binary
format over http and tclhttpd. I don't think Oratcl is of any difficulty
to use, though.

--
WK

Why doesn't can't a vector of "Derived" be passed to function taking vector of "Base"?
I have these classes (elided methods): class Base { public: Base(string name) {...} }; class Derived : public Base { public: Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} }; And neither of these work: /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived> arr; create( arr ); } /*** ATTEMPT TWO **/ void create(std::vector<Base*>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived*> arr; create( arr ); } On 2008-04-28 17:20, Rob wrote: > I have these classes (elided methods): To answer the questions in the subject (which you really ought to repeat in the message): Because a vector<Derived> does not inherit from vector<Base> even though Derived inherits from Base. You might want to use vector<Base*> instead and store pointers to objects of type Derived in it. -- Erik Wikström Rob <someidunknown1234@yahoo.com> writes: > I have these classes (elided methods): > > class Base > { > public: > Base(string name) {...} > }; > > class Derived : public Base > { > public: > Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} > }; > > And neither of these work: > > /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ > void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) > { > ... > } ...

Tcl 8.4 regexp bug ("can't happen -- you found a bug")
Howdy, The following regsub command causes the above error message in Tcl 8.4: regsub {(^|\n)+\.*b} \n.b "" tmp There's probably room for argument about whether the expression is malformed. But in that case, it should probably say "quantifier operand invalid" rather than "you found a bug". Good luck, -Jonathan Jones According to Jonathan Jones <googlegroups@spitzensparken.com>: :The following regsub command causes the above error message Stop by the SourceForge project and submit a bug report on it. -- <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust. Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL: mailto:lvirden@yahoo.com > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ > ...

BWidget tree can't be "packed" in latest tcl/tk (8.6.b1.1)
With windows (2k/xp) and 8.6b1 tcl/tk in a tclkit my code works. I just found a newer tclkit, 8.6b1.1 and the below test code is now suddenly broken. It gets an error on the second pack statement: "cannot use geometry manager pack inside .wtree_top.sw which already has slaves managed by grid" Is there a new restriction (or one that is now enforced) that has recently been added that causes this to break? It would be a rather sad development if I could no longer use BWidget trees with the pack manager. -------------------------------------- I built my own tclk...

Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?
I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML. Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not. It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus displaying a table as if it were text. Eudora liter...

Instruction at "0x00FC3D70" use memory address "0x00000000". Can't be "read".
Yesterday, ALL code in python work and nothing when I close(finish) a code. Today, when I close, some raise this windows error : Instruction at "0x00FC3D70" use memory address "0x00000000". Can't be "read". Click on "OK" to exit program. Why this error, today and not before today? Askari Askari wrote: > Yesterday, ALL code in python work and nothing when I close(finish) a code. > Today, when I close, some raise this windows error : > > Instruction at "0x00FC3D70" use memory address "0x00000000". Can't be &...

Can't "mk CONF=9pcdisk" --> gives error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error"
I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type `mk CONF=9pcdisk` and rc gives me the error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error". Why is this? Just doing mk works fine (I think). Thanks! Plan9 looks very cool... just finished reading through intro (all of it). you're using backquotes, why? that would be `{mk CONF=3D9pcdisk} in rc's syntax. now to compile that kernel the syntax is: % mk 'CONF=3Dpcdisk' now are you sure you want a pcdisk?=20 On Jul 19, 2012, at 6:07 AM, kalaracey@gmail.com wrote: > I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type >=20 ...

Can't perform an "ll" or "ls"
I am using vxWorks 5.1.1. I do an rlogin to a board. I can't do an ll or ls to see the contents of a directory. I can do a pwd or a cd and move around, but I can't see what's in a directory. The error say that it can't open ls. pingTid xxxxx. I have the target board's name in .rhosts and in hosts.equiv, but that doesn't help. The board won't boot up if I don't have the correct users name in the boot parameters. The host and target names are also correct. Anybody experience this before? Eric Morgan Eric Morgan wrote: >I am using vxWorks 5.1.1. I do...

Why can't "define" double as "set!"?
hi Is there any good reason that "define" shouldn't double as "set!"? dillogimp@gmail.com wrote: > Is there any good reason that "define" shouldn't double as "set!"? Yes: DEFINE defines variables, SET! changes the values of (defined) variables: (set! x 1) => wrong! (define x 0) (set! x 1) x => 1 Some interpreters may implicitly define variables when you try to set! them for the first time, thereby making DEFINE and SET! /appear/ to be the same. -- Nils M Holm <n m h @ t 3 x . o r g> -- http://t3x.org/nmh/ On Thu, 5 Apr 200...

Can't telnet with password containing"@" or "#"
Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. And, I've got question with HP-UX 11. I tried to change my account password by "passwd". I found that I could change password to something like "aljfla@lfal" or "falj#fal" successfully. But, I can't telnet to the HP box. Only if the account's password does not contain "@" or "#", I could telnet to the box. Testing with SSHD, there is no limit with password characters. Is that a limit of HP-UX telnetd? How can I change listening port of telnetd? thanks in advance. Joe In article <1148658620...

"Can't locate object method "PV" via package "B::SPECIAL""
When I try to use B::Lint I get the error Can't locate object method "PV" via package "B::SPECIAL"" Does anyone know where B::SPECIAL is defined? TIA, kj -- NOTE: In my address everything before the first period is backwards; and the last period, and everything after it, should be discarded. On Oct 20, 5:53 am, kj <so...@987jk.com.invalid> wrote: > When I try to use B::Lint I get the error > > Can't locate object method "PV" via package "B::SPECIAL"" > > Does anyone know where B::SPECIAL is defined? &...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

Why can't push a "const auto_ptr" into a "vector"
Hi, I want to push a const auto_ptr into a vector, but the compile reports errors. Below is the code. class Folder; class Result; class Results { public: int size(){return _Items.size();} const vector<const auto_ptr<Result> >& Items()const{return _Items;} Results(); ~Results(); private: vector<const auto_ptr<Result> > _Items; }; Results::Results() { typedef list<const auto_ptr<Result> > ResultVector; Result* hdresult = new Result(); auto_ptr<Result> hdptr(hdresult); _Items.push_back(hdptr); } The c...

PreparedStatement can't handle "IN" in "WHERE" clause #2
I have a simple SQL statement: SELECT DISTINCT id FROM TheTable WHERE id in ('1', '2', '3', '4'); If I run this in my SQL query window it correctly returns the set [1, 2, 3, 4]. If I execute the SQL directly using Statement.executeQuery, I get the correct results. However, if I try and substitute the IN clause using a PreparedStatement: PreparedStatement statement = connection.prepareStatement("SELECT DISTINCT id from TheTable WHERE id IN (?)"); statement.setString(1, "'1', '2', '3', '4'"); The result set...

Can't locate object method "first" via package "attempt" (perhaps you forgot to load "attempt"?) at ....
"Can't locate object method "first" via package "attempt" (perhaps you forgot to load "attempt"?) at E:\Inetpub\....\N_Clt_prf.pl line 38."I get this error on a perl program that prints & processed a form.Program was working until I made a simple (cosmetic) change. Could not find any reference to this error.Could anyone our there help?Thanks. "GMI" <Admin@GoMonitor.com> wrote in news:11bbgp4iovmsdb@corp.supernews.com: > "Can't locate object method "first" via package "attempt" (perhaps you >...

[OT] Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.
Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's" is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further embarrassment (assuming you care ;-). If your friends won't tell you, who will ;-) Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong ;-) OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se? E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it...

Suddenly Can't Use "ifstream"s and "ofstream"s
I had a working piece of code that successfully read from files with the "ifstream" type and wrote to files with the "ofstream" type. This code is made up of a number of different files. In the course of the job I needed for two of these files to have access to one piece of information, so I created a class that I called "CSuffix" and stored the common information there. So I created a "Suffix.h" file that looks like: #pragma once class CSuffix { public: static void initialize (); static void increment (); static c...

Why can't pass vector of "Derived" to function that takes vector of "Base"?
I have these classes (elided methods): class Base { public: Base(string name) {...} }; class Derived : public Base { public: Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} }; And neither of these work: /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived> arr; create( arr ); } /*** ATTEMPT TWO **/ void create(std::vector<Base*>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived*...

xclock fail with "Error: Can't open display" on "ssh -X"
I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer from a FC6 linux computer. I can run xclock or xterm on the RHEL4 linux computer. However, running xclock or xterm on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors: bash-3.2# xclock Error: Can't open display: Error: Couldn't find per display information bash-3.2# xterm xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s bash-3.2# sshd -version sshd: illegal option -- v OpenSSH_4.5p1+sftpfilecontrol-v1.1-hpn12v14, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006 HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.50.021, HP-UX Secure Shell version Using "ssh -Y" to login to the RHEL4 and HPUX computer get the same result. Please help so that I can run xclock or xterm on the HPUX computer. On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800 (PST), TsanChung wrote: > I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer > from a FC6 linux computer. > I can run > xclock or xterm > on the RHEL4 linux computer. > However, running > xclock or xterm > on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors: might try xhost +localhost ssh RHEL4.ip.here You may want to verify your hupx login script(s) does not hard code $DISPLAY On Jan 5, 9:01=A0pm, Bit Twister <BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com> wrote: > On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800 (PST), TsanChung wrote: > > I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer > > from a FC6 linux computer. > > I can run > > xclock or xterm &...

xclock fail with "Error: Can't open display:" on "ssh -X"
I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer from a FC6 linux computer. I can run xclock or xterm on the RHEL4 linux computer. However, running xclock or xterm on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors: bash-3.2# xclock Error: Can't open display: Error: Couldn't find per display information bash-3.2# xterm xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s bash-3.2# sshd -version sshd: illegal option -- v OpenSSH_4.5p1+sftpfilecontrol-v1.1-hpn12v14, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006 HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.50.021, HP-UX Secure Shell version Using "ssh -Y"...

Can't find a usable init.tcl ... Tcl wasn't installed correctly
I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as expected under Linux. When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: ----------------------------------------------------------- Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed correctly. ----------------------------------------------------------- I tried again after executing SET TCL_LIBRARY=C:\Tcl\Lib\tcl8.4 from the command prompt, and the Tcl_Init call succeeded. Have I actually installed Tcl incorrectly? I just accepted all the default settings rather dumbly during installation. Will I have to set TCL_LIBRARY like this each time I want to run such a program? In article <0d_Of.1893$kg.1014@news02.roc.ny>, Patrick wrote: > I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as > expected under Linux. > > When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, > initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: > > ----------------------------------------------------------- > Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: What was here? Was there a long list of directories that you trimmed away when posting? If not something is very very weird. If so, then you trimmed exactly the part that might allow me to help you. > This probably m...

"Even a 'genius' can't use Linux"
Or so the "genius" WinTrolls would have you believe. I finally broke down and bought a $10, 64MB nVidia MX440 video card to replace my onboard Intel graphics chip. (Yeah, I'm a big spender.) So how hard was that to set it up in Linux? I've done it twice (and I'm going to get one for the CentOS box as well). In VectorLinux I had to run VASM (VectorLinux Administration and System Menu) in root and set up X Windows. (VASM is used for just about any change in VectorLinux.) It asked if I wanted to load the nVidia proprietary drivers, I clicked yes, and watc...

Can't locate object method "newFromJpeg" via package "GD::Image"
Hi. I'm trying to execute this Perl simple script: -------- #!/usr/bin/perl use GD; my $srcimage = GD::Image->newFromJpeg("image_news.jpg"); my ($srcW,$srcH) = $srcimage->getBounds(); --------- But I get this error message: ------- Can't locate object method "newFromJpeg" via package "GD::Image" at ../test.pl line 3. ------- I've got GD and libgd compiled with JPEG support turned on. 1) JPEG libs + Downloaded from http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz + mkdir /usr/local/jpeg-6b + mkdir /usr/local/jpeg-6b/bin + mkdir /usr/local/...

Can't locate object method "blocking" via package "IO::Handle"
I am receiving the error message: Can't locate object method "blocking" via package "IO::Handle" at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/Net/SSH/Perl.pm line 212, <GEN0> line 1. Here is a program that demonstrates the error: #!/usr/bin/perl use Net::SSH::Perl; my $ssh = Net::SSH::Perl->new("<your hostname>"); $ssh->login("username", "xxxxxxxx"); my $command = "date"; my ($out, $err, $rc) = $ssh->cmd($command); print "out: $out\n"; print "err: $err\n"; print "rc: $rc\n"; Here is some additional information about the system: # find /usr/opt/perl5 -name Handle.pm /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.0/Tie/Handle.pm /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi/IO/Handle.pm /usr/opt/perl5/lib64/5.8.0/Tie/Handle.pm /usr/opt/perl5/lib64/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi-64all/IO/Handle.pm # uname AIX # oslevel 5.2.0.0 # uname -M IBM,7038-6M2 I would appreciate any assistance in resolving this error. Kemton I found a solution to this problem after translating a Russian post with the same topic. They downgraded to a previous version of Net::SSH::Perl. I upgraded from 1.27 to 1.28, and it's working now. Kemton ...

Web resources about - "You can't put Tcl on your resume." - comp.lang.tcl