A Busy Developer's Guide to Tcl/Tk 8.5

For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the
highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if
you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of
some help:

   http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html

Mark
0
mark1925 (138)

O/H Mark Roseman ������:
> For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the
> highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if
> you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of
> some help:
>
>    http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html
>
> Mark

Extremely useful! Thank you very much for collecting all this info.
(I even found something I wanted and requested through a tip (wm
iconphoto) that I hadn't realized that it has been approved...)

George
0
petasis (1405)
11/3/2006 7:41:03 PM
Mark Roseman wrote:
> For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the
> highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if
> you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of
> some help:
>
>    http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html
>
> Mark

That is GREAT Mark. Thank you for the time it took to do that.

Robert

0
sigzero (1319)
11/3/2006 7:47:36 PM
Mark Roseman <mark@markroseman.com> writes:

>    http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html

Oops, I see (for pre-8.5):

  # accept the flattened form of the array
  proc processarray {arraydata} {
      array set a [array get $arraydata]; # copy, copy...

which should use

      array set a $arraydata

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0

1- What about the new ensembles features?
2-Th Tk enhancement like anti aliasing on X and others, do they apply
to Ttk?

TCL Warrior schrieb:
> I have two questions
>
> 1- What about the new ensembles features?
Listed under 'namespace improvements', but could surely be expanded.

> 2-Th Tk enhancement like anti aliasing on X and others, do they apply
> to Ttk?
Mostly yes, i don't know about the -tristate stuff, because ttk has its
own 'state' concept, if you want the details, you can always browse the
tips directly at:
http://tip.tcl.tk/

Michael

0
schlenk (1615)
11/5/2006 8:12:17 PM
Mark Roseman schreef:

> For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the
> highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if
> you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of
> some help:
>
>    http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html
>
> Mark

Wonderful summary - I have read it with increasing excitement about all
those
goodies we will get!

Regards,

Arjen

0
arjen.markus (2628)
11/7/2006 10:52:00 AM
In article <mark-5807F8.14030103112006@nntp.aioe.org>,
Mark Roseman  <mark@markroseman.com> wrote:
>For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the
>highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if
>you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of
>some help:
>
>   http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html

Great summary!

You did forget one thing, though...

The section entitled: What every TCT member needs to know.
One entry: The release date of Tcl 8.5 is: _______________________________
(filled in, of course)

:-)

MH
MH wrote:
> The section entitled: What every TCT member needs to know.
> One entry: The release date of Tcl 8.5 is: _______________________________
> (filled in, of course)

The feature freeze date for Tcl/Tk 8.5 is December 1, 2006.  After that,
we don't plan to add more features.  Once feature additions are frozen,
a beta release will be produced, so expect to see Tcl/Tk 8.5b1 in early
December.

Then we begin the period of beta testing, stabilization, performance
improvements, and last minute corrections to any misfeatures.  This will
likely involve at least one more beta release, and as many more as are
required to reach a reasonable quality for 8.5.0.

Assuming all goes well, it's a good guess that Tcl/Tk 8.5.0 can get
released by March 1, 2007.  That is only a guess, and not a promise.
The release will happen when it is ready.

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
In article <4551F81A.2040903@nist.gov>, Don Porter  <dgp@nist.gov> wrote:
>MH wrote:
>> The section entitled: What every TCT member needs to know.
>> One entry: The release date of Tcl 8.5 is: _______________________________
>> (filled in, of course)
>
>The feature freeze date for Tcl/Tk 8.5 is December 1, 2006.  After that,
>we don't plan to add more features.  Once feature additions are frozen,
>a beta release will be produced, so expect to see Tcl/Tk 8.5b1 in early
>December.
>
>Then we begin the period of beta testing, stabilization, performance
>improvements, and last minute corrections to any misfeatures.  This will
>likely involve at least one more beta release, and as many more as are
>required to reach a reasonable quality for 8.5.0.
>
>Assuming all goes well, it's a good guess that Tcl/Tk 8.5.0 can get
>released by March 1, 2007.  That is only a guess, and not a promise.
>The release will happen when it is ready.

Thanks for that update.

I realize it's only a guideline, but that's all I was hoping for. And I
totally understand if it doesn't happen as predicted.

MH

A Busy Developer's Guide to Tcl/Tk 8.5 #2
I've updated my overview of what developers should know about 8.5 to bring it up to date with this week's 8.5.0 release. http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html Hope this is helpful - comments and suggestions appreciated. Mark Mark Roseman wrote: > I've updated my overview of what developers should know about 8.5 to > bring it up to date with this week's 8.5.0 release. > > http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html > > Hope this is helpful - comments and suggestions appreciated. You missed [wm manage], which is great for going that extra mile with toolbars. Donal. Donal K. Fellows wrote: > You missed [wm manage], which is great for going that extra mile with > toolbars. I hadn't spotted it either - I've just tried it out. It's a fantastic facility! I'm trying to spot the differences between a toplevel and a frame: (1) A toplevel is created in the mapped and wm manage'd state; A frame is created unmapped and in the wm forget'd state (2) By default a toplevel has class Toplevel, unless it is the main window "." when it has an application-specific class; By default a frame has class Frame. (3) A toplevel has additional subcommands -menu, -screen, -use Are there any other differences? Bindtags seem to be handled in the same way for both toplevels and frames, in particular the bindtag that refers to "this window's toplevel" is updated when wm manage/forget and...

Busy Developer's Guide to Tcl/Tk 8.6
I haven't unfortunately been following closely what's going on with 8.6, but thought it was time to take a closer look. Like I'd done with 8.5, I've started a "Busy Developer's Guide" to the new version. http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide86.html This is what I'd consider a first draft, so please let me know if you have any comments, particularly about other things which should be included or errors that I've made. Thanks Mark On 25 jun, 22:44, Mark Roseman <m...@markroseman.com> wrote: > I haven't unfortunately been following closely what's going on with 8.6, > but thought it was time to take a closer look. =A0Like I'd done with 8.5, > I've started a "Busy Developer's Guide" to the new version. > > =A0 =A0http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide86.html > > This is what I'd consider a first draft, so please let me know if you > have any comments, particularly about other things which should be > included or errors that I've made. > > Thanks > Mark Looks nice - at a first glance, one thing I would like to see is the status of threads (on by default?). When I have properly read it, I may have more comments. Regards, Arjen On 26 jun, 08:40, Arjen Markus <arjen.mar...@wldelft.nl> wrote: > On 25 jun, 22:44, Mark Roseman <m...@markroseman.com> wrote: > > > I haven't unfortunately been following closely what's going on wi...

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error message would .. occur if the respective DLL was not found. It appears that .. the Vim maintainer last checked building against 8.4] .. .. The Tcl interface works for a simple ":tcl puts Hello" but .. when I tried anything more I get the error: .. .. wrong # args: should be "catch command ?varName?" .. .. This is because Vim creates a replacement "catch" command .. (I've attached the relevant code below. As the comments .. state, Vim needs to prevent exit() being called by Tcl. Tcl .. 8.5 has introduced a new "catch" command that takes an .. additional argument, and somewhere -- either the Tcl .. library or tcl85.dll -- uses catch with four arguments. I .. don't have 8.5's source but I see that auto.tcl, clock.tcl, .. init.tcl, (I stopped looking) all use the four-argument catch. .. .. So here's my question: what's the best way this...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

What's wrong with "fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8" on windows in Tcl 8.5.10
With my built 8.5.10 I tried to issue command "fconfigure stdout - encoding utf-8" to tclsh on WinXP, the tcl prompt then was shown as two dots instead of percentage sign, C:\>tclsh85t.exe % fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8 =E2=80=A5date The current date is: 11/29/2011 Tue Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) time The system cannot accept the date entered. Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) =E2=80=A5 =E2=80=A5 So wonder what's wrong with fconfigure on stdout? Is that the issue? On Nov 29, 7:46=C2=A0am, "wrena...@gmail.com" <wrena...@gmail.com> wrote: > With my built 8.5.10 I tried to issue command "fconfigure stdout - > encoding utf-8" to tclsh on WinXP, the tcl prompt then was shown as > two dots instead of percentage sign, > > C:\>tclsh85t.exe > % fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8 > =E2=80=A5date > The current date is: 11/29/2011 Tue > Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) time > The system cannot accept the date entered. > Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) > =E2=80=A5 > =E2=80=A5 > > So wonder what's wrong with fconfigure on stdout? Is that the issue? Short answer: Yes. Longer answer: The encoding in Windows is not UTF-8 but one of cp.... flavors. Question: what did you expect that to do? Mark On 29/11/2011 06:59, Mark Janssen wrote: > Short answer: Yes. > Longer answer: The encoding in Windows is not UTF-8 but one of cp.... > flavors. Also, the code that writes to the (genuine) ...

Binary reader speed comparison
I have a fairly simple binary reader proc that exhibits massive speed differences between Tcl 8.5.8 and Tcl8.6b1.1. Here's the proc: proc readFormatted {filename} { set fd [ open $filename r ] fconfigure $fd -encoding binary -translation binary binary scan [ read $fd 2 ] cc type nextlen if {$type != 75} { return -error "File is not in the expected format" } while {![append buffer [read $fd $nextlen] ; eof $fd]} { binary scan [read $fd 2] cc lastlen nextlen # convert to unsigned value set nextlen ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Tcl has such an extensive library of packages that every time I get a new contract and start designing the tool, I find that someone else has already written over 50% of what I need to write and if I want to use it in my test tool almost 100% of the time all that is required is a simple 'package require xxxxxx' and it's available to me." -- Anthony Davis "I'm surprised, how many regular Tcl'ers have a wrong picture of Tcl and nevertheless can still write good code." -- Andreas Leitgeb POTW: Pgtcl 1.4 by Brett Schwarz. "This is ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "TCL = The Comfortable Language" -- John Seal http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/4a4e224b072818f1/ "[pkg_mkIndex] is trying to solve a problem that in its full generality is very, very difficult." -- Don Porter POTW: "regexpviewer is a small app for regular expression experimentation." http://freshmeat.net/projects/regexpviewer/ The planetary expert on use of [pkg_mkIndex] (again) advises: don't use [pkg_mkIndex] (mostly). http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/th...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "[E]mbedding via Tcl is The Right Way(r)." -- Jeffrey Hobbs "Keeping histories is a great anti-vandal device." -- Donal K. Fellows POTW: Tcl only needs a little bit of hardware to run well on, for example, the Slug: http://wiki.tcl.tk/14649 Once upon a time, rsh and exec and allied tools were the best tools administrators had for common tasks. Donal Fellows describes more succinct and secure ssh-based approaches now available. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/402c3545b1518c1e/ Part of the work of a healthy Usenet newsgroup is to cauterize the silly gossip and misconceptions that inevitably arise. One local example is the proposition that upvar and event-orientation are in conflict. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/74f381732437870e/ The programming interface of the Tree widget is event- rather than state-oriented. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a0fa01c65952008f/ "Sticky news"? "sticky -nsew"? Arcane stylistic decisions become meaningful once the basics--like useful widget resizing-- are in place. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a62593d29f9aad39/ Thanks to Arjen Markus for his summary of Wiki activity: A fruitful week on the Wiki, if the number of new pages can be taken as a useful indicator ......

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "That Tcl/Tk affords some amount of updating without separate thread handling should be looked upon as a bonus, in that the event loop is far simpler to handle than threading models." -- Melissa Schrumpf "Today at work I was asked to do some very specific (and thought by management to be difficult to impossible) tasks which were one-liners in tcl." -- Gordon Johnstone POTW: Notebook v2.0.3 by Will Duquette. "Notebook is a personal notebook application." "If you've ever used a Wiki on the Web, Notebook is much like a personal Wiki. But it goes ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "I didn't need to know that its a bad idea or why its a bad idea. I just needed to known why Tcl didn't do what I expected." - ulis "Many Tclers post answers in comp.lang.tcl for the benefit of not just the original poster, but all who may read the archives - but *you* didn't need to know that." - neuronstorm in answer to ulis on c.l.t. "The Tcl-core developers did a lot of hard work, to get a sane semantic for exec even to windows." - Andreas Leitgeb POTW: ANN: Tkhtml alpha 4 available. "Tkhtml" is a Tcl/Tk widget that displays HTML. Tkhtml is implemented in C. It is a true widget, not a metawidget implemented using the Text or Canvas widgets of the Tcl/Tk core. The changes for version 3 and in particular all of the work on style sheets, has been done by Dan Kennedy. Dan has been able to work full-time on the project for several months thanks to the financial support of Eolas Technologies, Inc.. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5996340e17369c66 homepage: http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/index.html eTcl 1.0-rc3 released Eric Hassold announces the third release candidate for eTcl 1.0 http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/74a7173e53b86c30 ANNOUNCE: Tile Widget Set, version 0.7.6 Tile 0.7.6 corresponds roughly to the CVS snapshot labelled '0.7.5' which was included in the recently-released ActiveTcl 8.4.13. + ttk::e...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Doctor, do you think this rash on my foot would be better cured with a blowtorch or with a belt sander?" -- Darren New "Tcl's language lawyers are so busy getting real work done that they've not stopped to take the time to create a specification." -- lvirden@yahoo.com POTW: Tile Widget Set, version 0.3 by Joe English. This is "an experimental reimplementation of some of the standard Tk widgets" that offers "Native look and feel under Windows XP" and "'Revitalized' look and feel under Unix". http://tktabl...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk Developer's Room at FOSDEM
The FOSDEM organizers have donated a developer's room for the Tcl/Tk community to use during the conference on Feb 21/22, 2004. We'll have space, beamer/laptop projector, network connection, black/white board, etc. I spoke at FOSDEM last year and the audience is open to discussing and working with Tcl/Tk. This is a great venue for publicizing what's going on with Tcl/Tk, brainstorming what we need, perhaps doing a short hack-a-thon. What we need is more folks committed to showing up and doing a show-and-tell. This is not a formal paper presentation, as is done at the Tcl-Europ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "That's part of 'marketing'. Tcl for one reason or the other, seems to have done a really good job of getting into companies, but it seems to be a 'black hole' in that nothing gets out again." - David Welton "Also it is self-reinforcing: When there is no 'buzz' surrounding a language, companies don't flaunt it as a 'buzz-word'." - Donald Arsenau, also on c.l.t POTW: ANN: TkHelpBrowser 1.2 TkHelpBrowser is a simple but complete system for displaying user documentation in an application. In addition to providing display of the HTML pages, it provides navigation of the documents via a treeview, and also provides basic search capabilities homepage: http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/helpbrowser/index.html http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/8a1d18bf338e9669 ORBI: or what happened on comp.lang.tcl Starpack/XOTcl/Thread exit behavior http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/cccc85398af8c949 TclSOAP and SOAP headers http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/400ffc3ef939ab8e Tile question http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/ea22a09ae55e826a http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/d724060a00573cab NewsForge Ariticle Interesting how words like buzz, marketing, etc... and then something positive. url: http://software.newsforge...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "I don't mind having the posibility of shooting myself in the foot. Just let me have the ability to extract the bullet with some good debugging tools." -- David Gravereaux "Doubt all you want, the truth is Tcl has improved a lot." -- Jeff Hobbs POTW: XOTcl 1.1.0 by Gustaf Neumann and Uwe Zdun. "XOTcl is an object-ori- ented extension of Tcl". "It prevails [sic] the Tcl programming style and the dynamic/introspective nature of the language, rather than introducing other language's styles and rigidness". http://www.xotcl.org ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Of course in Tcl, we can do whatever we want." -- Benjamin Riefenstahl "I will not mix string and list commands in TCL" -- Phil Powell POTW: Tcl Windows API (TWAPI) 0.2 by Ashok P. Nadkarni. "The Tcl Windows API (TWAPI) extension provides access to functions in the Windows API from within the Tcl scripting language. The extension targets the Windows NT family (NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003), and is not supported on the Windows 95/98/ME platforms." http://twapi.sourceforge.net Windows vs. Tcl in an "exec $e...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "...When you find Tcl frustrating you, I urge you to condition yourself to have faith that there *must* be an easier way, and perhaps, as you have done already, ask again for others to light your way a bit." - Cameron Laird on c.l.t. "Tcl is really just a parser and a command dispatcher -- with a number of predefined commands." - Gerald W. Lester POTW: Neuronstorm New Version 0.1.5 released 2006/06/03 is a free, open source program for creating mind-maps - pictorial representations of a central idea and how it is linked to other ideas or concepts. Neuronstorm is also designed to be compatible with and eventually replace Inspiration(TM) - a commercial mind-mapping program. The Neuronstorm team invites developers, graphic designers and potential users to help. See the Community Portal for more information. Homepage: http://neuronstorm.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=110459&package_id=119345&release_id=422050 ORBI: or what happened on comp.lang.tcl trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ? http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/10447bdc1fb0c32b aborting the evaluation of a single interpreter http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/8a4bcd145b1487e Tcl Plugin needed badly !!! http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/3d82b3726c...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "It was easier to re-train the VB guys to write Tcl than to port the app to VB." - slebetman "... do almost nothing, and still get the job done." - Richard Suchenwirth on Tcl in various aspects POTW: "PgBrowse ver 1.3 is a generic Postgresql database browser that works on Windows, Macintosh and Linux platforms that is written in Tcl/Tk." http://homepage.mac.com/levanj/TclTk Bryan Oakley illustrates the ability to provide "what i exactly want" even in a thread on menu items and tooltips where he doesn't "understand the problem" nor even the widgets involved. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/c907e2bfbb9df350/ Fredderic's startling variation on common uses of "hash buckets" or unique sorting to provide information on duplications in a bag draws attention away from O(N), O(NlogN) comparisons. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a54df4d99b3763b0/ Yes, it is possible "to access the return value of a[n] Oracle stored function". http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/893d47602b37851/ Thanks to Arjen Markus for his so-accurate summary of Wiki activity: It seems to have been a wonderfully productive week, last week on the Wiki. We reached page 15000 at the end of November and the pace of new pages is keeping up - do have a look at <htt...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "For me stubs is simply a brilliant feature of tcl." -- Georgios Petasis "Sufficient for the day are the regexp-related evils thereof. :o)" -- David McClamrock POTW: You didn't realize that the Homebrew Competition Coordination Program is Tcl-powered (in just under 10,000 lines of source)? http://www.folsoms.net/hccp/ Tktable scrolling remains an issue. Must it be by column only? http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5ee4ef36980f7c93/da9444d65dd7a653 Melissa Schrumpf shows how simple automation of misce...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "My first, gut reaction is the event loop: it is very sexy." - WL "My personal answer: the people. And the Wiki." - Cameron Laird "Ditto...that attracted me first to Tcl." - Robert Hicks POTW: TkDND, written by George Petasis, currently offers an alpha release of the coming 2.0 version. tkdnd is an extension that adds native drag & drop capabilities to the tk toolkit. It can be used with any tk version equal or greater to 8.4. Currently only X-Windows and Microsoft Windows display models are supported. Under Unix the drag & drop protocol in use is the XDND protocol version 4 (also used by the QT toolkit, KDE & GNOME Desktops). Under Windows, the OLE drag & drop interfaces are used. http://sourceforge.net/projects/tkdnd http://www.ellogon.org/petasis/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=47&Itemid=37 POLL: Your favourite Tcl features elicits a wide range of responses mentioning traces, fileevent, the event loop, i18n through utf8handling, tcls channels and "social" features like the Wiki and com.lang.tcl with softspoken responses. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/543e31df8495ec97 How to add a Tk GUI to a C program. Augmenting a c-programm of your own design with a gui. All the Myriad Ways tcl supports: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/6637cca432054c51 Tcl Thread Sa...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "I don't believe anything that I haven't measured myself." - Jesus Rivas, world expert on *Eunectes murinus*, probably the world's largest snake http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/08/18/anaconda/index1.html "I must admit that from what I've seen, it appears to be more stable than JAVA." - Eric Rice and ... "Thanks We do take a pretty stringent approach to bugs here, and try to stamp them out with a mallet as soon as they show their ugly faces :)." - ... and Jacob Levy from the past POTW: Tcl Plug-In for Eclipse by Greg Pierce Just wanted to post a new message that I created a Tcl Plug-in for Eclipse using TclBlend from the tcljava SourceForge project. They have not included my changes into TclBlend as of yet. Therefore, you'll have to apply my patch: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1499782&group_id=13005&atid=313005 TileQt version 0.4 beta 1... A new version of TileQt has been released, version 0.4 beta 1. It can be found at: http://www.ellogon.org/petasis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=40 The most notable changes are the addition of support for the ttk::paned and ttk::sizegrip widgets, as well as initial support for Qt 4.x (currently, all widgets except scrollbar, notebook and scale are supported). Also, a small graphical configuration utility has been added (config-rpm.tcl) tha...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.8 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.8 Release Announcement November 16, 2009 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.8 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the eighth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.8 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.5.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including new features and notes about installing and compiling the releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894 Binaries for most major platforms are available from: http://www.activestate.com/Tcl For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Summary of Changes since Tcl/Tk 8.5.7: -------------------------------------- The following were the main changes in Tcl/Tk 8.5.8. A complete list can be found in t...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.5 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.5 Release Announcement October 15, 2008 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.5 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the fifth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.5 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.5.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including new features and notes about installing and compiling the releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894 Binaries for most major platforms are available from: http://www.activestate.com/Tcl For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Summary of Changes since Tcl/Tk 8.5.4: -------------------------------------- The following were the main changes in Tcl/Tk 8.5.5. A complete list can be found in...

iso: tcl/tk 8.5.4 or so developers using iwidgets
A developer contacted me this week with this peculiar siutation. The environment is software running on sparc solaris 10 systems and the gnome environment, displaying back to windows xp (running hummingbird x server) and the VirtuaWin desktop. About 3 weeks ago, he began seeing this: --- All of a sudden, widgets began to not build correctly in multi-widget GUIs. Certain pop-up toplevels with megawidgets =96 particularly entryfields and scrolledlistboxes - would have to be dismissed and re- created several times to appear correctly. The most common error was failure to widen ent...

Web resources about - A Busy Developer's Guide to Tcl/Tk 8.5 - comp.lang.tcl