ActiveTcl and site-specific extensions

Has anybody come up with a slick way to add site-specific extensions
to ActiveTcl installations?

We've got ActiveTcl installed on HP-UX and Linux in subdirectories of
/apps/activestate/ which contain both the version number and the
platform type encoded into the path.  They were installed as root, and
we fully expect to be able to upgrade without a hitch.  The plan is to
install the new version next to the old one, test our applications,
then make the switch with a single soft link.

To help keep things clean, we've got a small raft of site-specific
extensions installed in a whole 'nother place.  Our application
scripts make an addition to auto_path to get to those libraries.
Since our extensions are compiled with stubs, I don't expect any
problems from them when we upgrade ActiveTcl.

But the auto_path addition still bothers me a little bit.  It isn't a
big deal in application scripts, but it makes it harder when you just
want to jump into an interactive tclsh and play around with something.
It would be nice if I could add something to ActiveTcl that would add
/sppdg/lib/hpux11 to auto_path at startup.  I know that each user can
define TCLLIBPATH, but I would like something that is automatic for
everybody.

Has anybody solved this elegantly?  (I could always edit init.tcl, I
suppose. :-)

Thanks,
Bob
--
Bob Techentin                   techentin.robert@NOSPAMmayo.edu
Mayo Foundation                                 (507) 538-5495

Bob Techentin wrote:

> ...  I know that each user can
> define TCLLIBPATH, but I would like something that is automatic for
> everybody.
>
> Has anybody solved this elegantly?  (I could always edit init.tcl, I
> suppose. :-)

At previous instalations, we had system wide .profile/.bashrc/.cshrc/...
that we set/modified TCLLIBPATH in.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester               | "The man who fights for his ideals is |
According to Bob Techentin <techentin.robert@mayo.edu>:
:Has anybody come up with a slick way to add site-specific extensions
:to ActiveTcl installations?

If you set TCLLIBPATH (in csh style path values), then those directories
will be PREPENDED to auto_path at initialization of the tcl interpreter.
--
0
lvirden272 (610)

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or does this indicate some subtle coding problem? Thanks for any suggestions Olaf Olaf Dietrich wrote: > Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension > is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking > the extension? > > Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that > I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be > loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using > package require). A number of newly provided commands work > well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and > wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. > > Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time > version and run-time version are identical? Or does this > indicate some subtle coding problem? Not subtle. Major problem. DO NOT DO THAT. If you want to be loadable across mult...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.9 rpm specification with thread 2.6 extension

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.5a1 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension
It can be found at: http://jfontain.free.fr/tk-8.5a1-1.spec Generated and tested on an up-to-date Red Hat Fedora Core 1 i386 system. The rpms install under /opt/tcltk and therefore do not conflict and peacefully coexist with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To build the rpms, download the Tcl/Tk 8.5a1 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://download.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.5a1-1.spec Notes: For Tk, the anti-aliased fonts option is turned on. You may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. -- Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@free.fr http://jfontain.free.fr/ ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.5a1 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension #2

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension
http://jfontain.free.fr/tcltk-8.4.7-1.spec Generated and tested on an up-to-date Red Hat Fedora Core 2 i386 system. The rpms can install under /opt/tcltk (see notes below) in order not to conflict and peacefully coexist with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To build the rpms, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://download.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.7-1.spec Notes: - You may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. -- Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@free.fr http://jfontain.free.fr/ ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.6 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension
It can be found at: http://jfontain.free.fr/tk-8.4.6-1.spec Generated and tested on an up-to-date Red Hat Fedora Core 1 i386 system. The rpms install under /opt/tcltk and therefore do not conflict and peacefully coexist with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To build the rpms, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.6 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://download.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.6-1.spec Note: you may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. -- Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@free.fr http://jfontain.free.fr/ ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension
http://jfontain.free.fr/tcltk-8.4.8-1.spec Generated and tested on an up-to-date Red Hat Fedora Core 3 i386 system. The rpms can install under /opt/tcltk (see notes below) in order not to conflict and peacefully coexist with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To build the rpms, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://download.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.8-1.spec Notes: - You may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. -- Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@free.fr http://jfontain.free.fr/ ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.6 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension #2

Tcl-fann: A Tcl extension for Artificial Neural Networks.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fann Tcl-fann enables artificial neural networks processing in Tcl. It is using the FANN (Fast Artificial Neural Networks) library underneath. Tcl-fann supports: * Fully, sparse and shortcut type connected multi-layer networks. * Backpropagation training (RPROP, Quickprop, Batch, Incremental) * Evolving topology training which dynamically builds and trains the ANN (Cascade) * Versatile (possible to adjust many parameters and features on-the-fly) * Several different activation functions implemented (including stepwise linear functions for that extra bit of speed) * Saving and loading of entire ANNs * Cross-platform (linux/unix & MS Windows (not tested)) Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * FANN Library (http://leenissen.dk/fann/) Version 2.2.0 or greater. Platform: Linux/Unix & MS Windows Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fann/ Man page: http://tcl-fann.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis ...

About extensions in ActiveTcl
Hi, Any chance to see scotty including in the ActiveState package? thank you maze Last I heard scotty no longer has an active maintainer. Too bad as it's a really really nice package. There was some talk about someone picking it up but I don't know where that landed. Ron minuit00@hotmail.fr wrote: > Hi, > > Any chance to see scotty including in the ActiveState package? > > thank you > maze > On Jul 23, 3:56 pm, minui...@hotmail.fr wrote: > Hi, > > Any chance to see scotty including in the ActiveState package? I believe that enhanced features such as this can be submitted at http://bugs.activestate.com/query.cgi?set_product=ActiveTcl You do an "Add Bug", then, set priority to enhancement. ...

RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site)
From: Hoff Hoffman [mailto:hoff-remove-this@hp.com]=20 Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:06 PM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site) JF Mezei wrote: > Barry.Treahy@EmersonNetworkPower.com wrote: >> You might find the costs to migrate everything from the 4000/100 models >> to replacement CHARON 4000/108 emulated systems cost effect especially >=20 > If he starts to evaluate migration costs, he might find it cheaper to > migrate to Linux or Windows. Yes, ...

tcl-inotify: File & directory level notifications for Tcl. (extension)
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-inotify. Tcl-inotify is a Tcl interface to the linux kernel's inotify* service. It provides a Tcl package that enables Tcl scripts to monitor the file system changes at a file and directory level. A large number of file/directory actions can be monitored. A proc is executed asynchronously to notify for changes. * inotify is a Linux kernel subsystem that provides file system event notifications. It was written by John McCutchan with help from Robert Love and later Amy Griffis to replace dnotify. It was included in the mainline kernel starting from release 2.6.13, and could be compiled into 2.6.12 and possibly earlier releases by use of a patch. Its function is essentially an extension to filesystems to notice changes to the filesystem, and report those changes to applications. Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-inotify/ Man page: http://tcl-inotify.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis alsterg ...

RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site) #2
-----Original Message----- From: Dave Froble [mailto:davef@tsoft-inc.com]=20 Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:23 AM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site) Stanley F. Quayle wrote: > On 16 Aug 2006 at 14:42, Barry.Treahy@EmersonNetworkPower.com wrote: >> You might find the costs to migrate everything from the 4000/100 models >> to replacement CHARON 4000/108 emulated systems cost effect >=20 > Another CHARON-VAX possibility [Shameless Plug Alert (tm)] is to=20 ...

Does anyone have a Tcl Script which does a Multi Part File Upload to web site ( TCL CGI )
Hello all, I am after a Tcl script which I can use on my apache Linux server which a user can upload files or pictures to the site with ... Any help is appreciated, Thank you for the help, Sean - HeliHobby.com Sean wrote: > Hello all, > > I am after a Tcl script which I can use on my apache Linux server > which a user can upload files or pictures to the site with ... > > Any help is appreciated, > > Thank you for the help, > > Sean - HeliHobby.com I use ncgi for ths (from tcllib). It rocks! high quality code that never fails. For instance the file upload of wiki.hping.org is implemented in this way. Ciao, antirez ...

Free Tcl App + Libs and TK Extension. Giving something back to the TCL Dev community
Free Tcl App + Libs and TK Extension. Giving something back to the TCL Dev community. After years of TCL Dev I am giving something back to the Dev Tcl Community. You can download NetpackX including source code at http://helihobby.com/netpackx/index.html and also you may download lots of cool aps and libs here: http://helihobby.com/netpackx/Tcl_Tk/tcl_tk.html I hope TCL/TK continues to grow and special thanks to Jeff Hobbs for his support. Regards, Sean - www.HeliHobby.com ...

can you run e commerce site using just tcl 8.6.2 and a pure tcl webserver?
and have decent performance? ...

RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMSsite) site)site) site)site) site)site)
-----Original Message----- From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:54 AM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMSsite) site)site) site)site) site)site) Surely it is cheaper to find a backup solution for this chap than to suggest he change all his hardware and upgrade his software at what may be great costs to him. How much would HP charge for software upgrades from VMS 5.5 to 7.3 for multiple machines ? ------------------------ His apps, or layered products, may not support newer ...

Tcl extension and procedures
Hi, I'm looking to write a C Tcl extension, to use with my application, which has has the following behaviour: proc aProc {} { set i 1 puts "i: $i" yield incr i puts "i: $i" } proc bProc {} { set j 5 puts "j: $j" yield incr j puts "j: $j" } schedule aProc schedule bProc execute The schedule, execute and yield commands will be implemented in C. The schedule commands will schedule two procedures for execution, and then the execute command will execute the scheduled procedures. The yield command results in the procedure that is executing to swap, so the output of the program would be: i: 1 j: 5 i: 2 j: 6 So in my execute command C code, I will need to be able to run some commands contained in one procedure, and then swap and run commands in another procedure. If the above is possible, which parts of the C API do I need to look at? Thanks, Paul On Feb 5, 4:40=A0pm, Paul <pault...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'm looking to write a C Tcl extension, to use with my application, > which has has the following behaviour: > > proc aProc {} { > =A0 =A0 set i 1 > =A0 =A0 puts "i: $i" > =A0 =A0 yield > =A0 =A0 incr i > =A0 =A0 puts "i: $i" > > } > > proc bProc {} { > =A0 =A0 set j 5 > =A0 =A0 puts "j: $j" > =A0 =A0 yield > =A0 =A0 incr j > =A0 =A0 puts "j: $j" > > } > > ...

Tcl extension compiled
Hi there, How can I compile a Tcl C extension and link with libtcl8.x.a instead of libtcl8.x.so to get a battary-included static lib? GCC command example on Linux would be appreciated. Thanks, On 15 dec, 05:55, Wiwat <ohh...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi there, > > How can I compile a Tcl C extension and link with libtcl8.x.a instead > of libtcl8.x.so to get a battary-included static lib? GCC command > example on Linux would be appreciated. > > Thanks, You can do so either with the explicit library name (/usr/lib/ libtcl8.x.a instead of -ltcl8.x) or wi...

GeoIP TCL extension.
Hello, We've just released a Geoip TCL extension on top of the Geoip C API. The extension is based on TEA and is released under the GPL. It has been developed on Solaris, it should compile OK on un*x systems. Please report if you you try it on windows. See README for details. After installing: $ package require geoip Comments, enhancements and bug reports are welcome. Download: http://www.maxmind.com/download/geoip/api/tcl/ CVS: http://geoip.cvs.sourceforge.net/geoip/tcl/ Djihed Afifi ARM ltd. ...

TCL Sqlite Extension
Where can I download this from? On Nov 21, 10:35=A0pm, designflaw <rehmanmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > Where can I download this from? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3Dsqlite+tcl On 11/21/11 3:35 PM, designflaw wrote: > Where can I download this from? For a prebuilt, pull it using teacup. For sources: www.sqlite.org -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net | +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ On Nov 21, 4:21=A0pm, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Nov 21, 10:35=A0pm, designflaw <rehmanmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Where can I download this from? > > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3Dsqlite+tcl Thanks man, but don't u think I tried that already? How else could have I found this group. :) I have but can't seem to find 'only' the extension. I am new to this and don't know how to download and do the compile so was wondering if there was a good tutorial or website that outlined it. On Nov 21, 4:47=A0pm, "Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald.Les...@KnG- Consulting.net> wrote: > On 11/21/11 3:35 PM, designflaw wrote: > > > Where can I download this from? > > For a prebuilt, pull it using teacup. > > For sources:www.sqlite.org > > -- > +-----------...

Couchbase extension for Tcl?
Does a couchbase interface from Tcl exist? If so, where is it. ...

extension of TCL with C
Hi, I am new user of TCL/Tk language. I want to integrate Tcl with C. I have xmktclapp.tcl which generates the required .c and .h But when i complied the .c file the application is not able to find tcl.h file I have searched whole system but I m unable to find the tcl.h file. Can I have WinTclTk . In that I have also searched but I m not able find tcl.h anybody help where I can find the tcl.h file Thanks and regards "Anshuman" a �crit : > > Hi, >............... > anybody help where I can find the tcl.h file Thanks and regards > Hi, You must go to: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/ and download the sources Say also to the compiler were you put the sources... good luck. Miko This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --------------enig2138DC28CFA47407761EF9E2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Miko wrote: > "Anshuman" a =E9crit : >> >> Hi, >> ............... >> anybody help where I can find the tcl.h file Thanks and regards >> >=20 > Hi, > You must go to: > http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/ >=20 > and download the sources >=20 > Say also to the compiler were you put the sources... >=20 > good luck. > Miko Source is not required. Just look in include/ to find tcl.h with the normal pre-built distributio= n. IOW, from where tclsh.exe is, ../include as in "C:/program files/tcl/include/tcl...

Tcl Extension Repository
Hello, I know this topic comes again and again. But after struggling with building extensions myself here are my thoughts. - after many years tcl still have no accepted central repository, but many attempts are made (see <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16925>) - ActiveState has done a great deal in providing ActiveTcl, but as a developer I need sometimes the sources or debug versions too - building extensions is sometimes tricky - extension sources are cluttered around the net - current versions of popular extensions are not tagged - tcl/tk development is coordinated by the TCT-> why not also managing of extensions? Before writing a TIP here are my proposal.. - Build a summary of extensions (see end of <http://wiki.tcl.tk/ 16925>) as a special TIP with: - current version number - how to get the sources (ftp, http, cvs, svn) as "clickable" or "copy&paste" text - where to report bugs - Like in TIP 16 each extension get a TCT member assigned. We can put this also in a special TIP. He is only responsible to check (may be after each new tcl version) if the given informations are still correct. - Developers can append new extensions in a special section. The TCT include or reject with a new tcl version. - Accept only extensions with a version tag or version file. Future: - Extend the summary with links to binary versions - Build and/or test extensions for new tcl versions and provide the binaries - Maintain (at least make it buildable) aband...

Web resources about - ActiveTcl and site-specific extensions - comp.lang.tcl

Site-specific browser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Site-specific browsers are often implemented through the use of existing application frameworks such as Gecko , WebKit , Microsoft 's Internet ...

Google Embeds Itself in NYC With Some Delightful Site-Specific Outdoor Ads
Google has been running a lovely ad campaign promoting its rebranded mobile app. But some of the best executions have been pretty hard to find—because ...

Google Does Site Specific Performance, One Step Closer…
This may not strike the world as big news, but in the ad world, it’s important: Google today announced “Content Placement Reports”. Sounds boring, ...

StumbleUpon launching site-specific Stumbling
Coming soon from StumbleUpon: StumbleThru, a feature to let you 'Stumble' on specific sites. Read this article by Rafe Needleman on CNET.

Dutch Design Week 2015: Atelier NL's Site-Specific Ceramics
... teacup as a token of DDW2015 for less than €10. A tile from Atelier NL , on the other hand, will set you back €35 — but, as anyone who visited ...

Apple adds site-specific controls to Java, updates Safari
... web browser Safari for users of OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and higher. The updates now allow users to enable the Java web plug-in on a site-by-site ...

It's About Time: Company Designs Site-Specific Camo
... forest green camo shorts don't hide you on the street as well as you'd like to imagine, a North Carolina company is now designing site-specific ...

News Deeply adds another topic-specific site to its network by launching Ebola Deeply
News Deeply, a network of topic-specific sites founded by former ABC News foreign correspondent Lara Setrakian, has just launched its latest ...

GitHub - lhl/pyssb: Create PyQT WebKit-based SSBs (site specific browsers)
pyssb - Create PyQT WebKit-based SSBs (site specific browsers)

IE9, Site Specific Browsers, and adding your own Jump List Items to Pinned Tabs - Scott Hanselman
IE9, Site Specific Browsers, and adding your own Jump List Items to Pinned Tabs - Scott Hanselman