adding events to tcl queue, or using variables and traces (C and TCL)

I'm writing simple testing framework for embedded application. The
application is written on C language and runs on microchip PIC
microcontroller normally. To test application I made the following:

  * hardware depended code was picked out from main source and written
to separate source files (module_hal.c for example);

  * two build mode for program: for microchip PIC, using *_hal.c files
dealing with real hardware, or for PC, where *_hal.c files contain
hardware simulation code and bindings to TCL-commands.

Then program was build for PC, I can using TCL commands change input
signal states for simulated hardware, for example, or view output
signal states.
But I need some method to call tcl callback procedure when output
signal changes state.
I see two methods to achieve this:

  * map signal state to variable, and then use 'trace' command to bind
tcl-scripts to state change events;

  * add new events to tcl event queue, as described here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17195

Which method can be more preferable and why?   In case if signal state
changes too fast, and if I use variable trace, my callback will be
called on every state change -- I think it is serious drawback of
first method. With second method I can add only one event to queue,
and add second only if first event is processed. But as I see, second
method requires more complex code in C (now I wrote this code and see
it as serious drawback too).

May be exists some other methods to call tcl-callbacks on events
generated in C program?  Something like Tk events.

0
kfrolov (2)

Hi Kirill,

On 15 Jan., 12:28, Kirill Frolov <kfro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see two methods to achieve this:
>
> =A0 * map signal state to variable, and then use 'trace' command to bind
> tcl-scripts to state change events;
>
> =A0 * add new events to tcl event queue, as described here:http://wiki.tc=
l.tk/17195

> Which method can be more preferable and why? =A0 In case if signal state
> changes too fast, and if I use variable trace, my callback will be
> called on every state change -- I think it is serious drawback of
> first method. With second method I can add only one event to queue,
> and add second only if first event is processed. But as I see, second
> method requires more complex code in C (now I wrote this code and see
> it as serious drawback too).

the advantage of Method two is that you are called by tcl and it is a
save moment to manipulate the current interpreter.
I was not aware, that it is not possible to post multiple events
before processing.

I don't know how Method 1 would work.
Maybee, something like that could be found in the framework of
threadding and thread syncronisation.

A thierd and very stupid method would be to implement a poll command
in TCL which is called in a regular manner (timer event).
Or the poll moment may be combined with Method 2.

Hope this helps,
Harald
0
wortkarg2 (425)
1/15/2010 12:40:10 PM
On Jan 15, 12:28=A0pm, Kirill Frolov <kfro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing simple testing framework for embedded application. The
> application is written on C language and runs on microchip PIC
> microcontroller normally. To test application I made the following:
>
> =A0 * hardware depended code was picked out from main source and written
> to separate source files (module_hal.c for example);
>
> =A0 * two build mode for program: for microchip PIC, using *_hal.c files
> dealing with real hardware, or for PC, where *_hal.c files contain
> hardware simulation code and bindings to TCL-commands.
>
> Then program was build for PC, I can using TCL commands change input
> signal states for simulated hardware, for example, or view output
> signal states.
> But I need some method to call tcl callback procedure when output
> signal changes state.
> I see two methods to achieve this:
>
> =A0 * map signal state to variable, and then use 'trace' command to bind
> tcl-scripts to state change events;
>
> =A0 * add new events to tcl event queue, as described here:http://wiki.tc=
l.tk/17195

> Which method can be more preferable and why? =A0 In case if signal state
> changes too fast, and if I use variable trace, my callback will be
> called on every state change -- I think it is serious drawback of
> first method. With second method I can add only one event to queue,
> and add second only if first event is processed. But as I see, second
> method requires more complex code in C (now I wrote this code and see
> it as serious drawback too).
>
> May be exists some other methods to call tcl-callbacks on events
> generated in C program? =A0Something like Tk events.

Given your context, I'd build a completely different architecture.
Instead of tying the Tcl interp to the running program, I'd just use
interprocess communication.
Just establish a socket or a pair of pipes between your C process and
a Tcl process (with or without GUI).
You can define a very simple protocol, based on text. For example from
C to Tcl, you'd be sending text lines, each one conveying the states
of all outputs. From Tcl to C, the same for the states of inputs. If
you're more comfortable with binary protocols, and/or you have a fixed
number of input/outputs, just exchange fixed-size blocks of bytes.

In all cases, the Tcl side will be event-driven, using [fileevent].
Ask again if you need extra guidance.

-Alex

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe this is done with SWIG but I have not done it. In Java I saw some info on Jacl and TclBlend. The application will be "compiled" into a TCL "executable". I know I can compile my TCL code into Byte code to protect the IP. I am not sure about Java. Any recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Frank Frank <kranfg@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. > > The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. > > Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. > > I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to ...

l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl
Hi all, I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test code i have written is below Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory. The 'C' program is below. I have named it CTCL.C #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading..."); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } I have compiled the program with the command cc CTCL.C -o ctcl So the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl' The Tcl script I have written is. I have named it TCLPIPETEST.tcl #!/usr/add-on/exptools/bin/tclsh set fd [open "|./ctcl" r+] gets $fd tmp1 puts "tmp1 = $tmp1" set stat 0 set tmp2 "Default value... " if { ![catch { puts $fd "abcdef" } res]} { if { ![catch { flush $fd } res] } { if { ![catch { gets $fd tmp2} res ] } { set stat 1 } else { puts "Error 'gets' from pipe : $res" } } else { puts "Error 'flush' from pipe:$res " } } else { puts "Error 'puts' from pipe:$res " } if { $stat == 1 } { puts "Success......:$tmp2 :)" } else { puts "Failure......:$tmp2 :(" } I have given all permissions for both the files above. When i execute the Tcl script My aim is to open a pipe with the 'C' executable 'ctcl', initially read so...

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > > Thanks! can help you cheap:; http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html -- -- -- What's on Shortwave guide: choose an hour, go! http://shortwave.tk 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk 300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk marc wrote: > Asif wrote: > >> Hi! >> >> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: >> >> - Embed Tcl into a C application. >> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. >> >> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do >> a good job explain these topics in depth? >> >> Thanks! > > > can help you cheap:; > http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html Would you really trust a site which *PRESUMES* the whole world uses their preferred settings and the heck with the visually imperfect. The resu...

how to debug tcl running under tcl interep in C++ exe
Hi: I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any way/debugger to do this? Regards --Sourav Sourav Sircar schrieb: > Hi: > I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. > The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. > I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any > way/debugger to do this? > Regards > --Sourav You could probably load the comm packa...

Will tcl 9 use epoll or kqueue for tcl?
curious http://luvit.io/ also check this out for web stuff done in lua but perhaps tcl can steal nice ideas On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:22:02 PM UTC-8, gavino_himself wrote: > curious > > > > http://luvit.io/ also check this out for web stuff done in lua but perhaps tcl can steal nice ideas cherokee uses them so gota be ast for events and cherokee outperforms nginx ...

Tcl+incr Tcl debuggers to use on command line?
Hi, Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Thanks On 10/11/14, 9:46 PM, kenneth.bull@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? > That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Well, the debugger in ActiveState's TDK does not need a bundled IDE and it works with [incr Tcl] -- but it is a GUI application not a command line one. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. L...

Remembering Tcl: Problems with C and Tcl communicated via pipelines
I am now remembering TCL and I have came across with a problem when doing something I used to do. My purpose is to implement a console-like GUI to present in a listbox outputs from another program written in c and allow to command orders via an entry. All the communication between both programs will be via pipeline As a first approximation, I tried several easy examples and I get stucked with these two programs (see below). When executing tclprogram2.tcl I get Done1 and Done2 and nothing more: i must end it with Ctrl-C. However, if I change Hello3 lines before for loop, the program run smoo...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version""...

tcl application with tcl application

Using TCL with C#
I am trying to call TCL from my C# application and found some useful help on the Wiki website http://wiki.tcl.tk/9563 (as shown below). using System.Runtime.InteropServices; using System; namespace TclWrap { public class TclAPI { [DllImport("tcl84.DLL")] public static extern IntPtr Tcl_CreateInterp(); [DllImport("tcl84.Dll")] public static extern int Tcl_Eval(IntPtr interp,string skript); [DllImport("tcl84.Dll")] public static extern IntPtr Tcl_GetObjResult(IntPtr interp); [DllImport("tcl84.Dll")] public static extern string T...

How does the Tcl interpret handle results returned from C-created Tcl commands ?
I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've followed the manual guidelines. My C routine checks the validity of a selected option for the currently displayed histogram. Therefore it returns a Boolean value that, according to the C <-> Tcl communucation protocol, I have encoded as TCL_ERROR (= FALSE) and TCL_OK (TRUE). WHenthis command is called in a Tcl proc, the interpreter is supposed to perform two different actions according to the returned Boolean value. How can I fetch this returned Boolean result (TCL_ERROR/ TCL_OK) from the Tcl proc that executes the C-created command ? What if I wrote 1 (FALSE) or 0 (TRUE) in a string and have the C routine return this 1-character string ? Would it be easier to get the result of the teest from the caling TCL proc ? Please, find in the following the code that implements (according to my best resolution) the C-created command and the callind Tcl proc. Thank you, Maura ************************************************************************************************************* * C routine * ************************************************************************************************************* static int check_hist_aint_option_cb( ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp, int argc, char *argv[] ) { int i; if ( hg.active_ &...

Why can execution results in tcl shell differ than if using tcl script??
Hi, I have been posting a thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different results!!! Why did this happens?? Thanks, Ahmad Ahmad wrote: > Hi, > > I have been posting a thread here: > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# > > I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of > tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in > tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. > > Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different > results!!! Why did this happens?? > > Thanks, > Ahmad The interactive Tcl shell has access to external functionality that a running script doesn't. That's done to make the interactive environment easier to work with. What, specifically, is the command sequence you're issuing in both cases? Jeff Hi Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I've a tcl script that finally creates a certain script, that is when I run from shell using "calibredrv -gui <certainRunScript>" from command line it do exactly what I expect. I have tried two scenarios of trials, and only one of...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Web resources about - adding events to tcl queue, or using variables and traces (C and TCL) - comp.lang.tcl

Mozilla moves Firefox to variable release schedule
... schedule process "carefully" and learning "a lot" from it in the past years, Mozilla has announced that Firefox is now moving to a variable ...

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...

When your environment variables are showing
There are embarrassing moments in life. There is the teacher calling you out as a child in class as you stare out the window wistfully imagining ...