Appearance of Tcl/Tk Widget in Solaris OS

We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.

Let me share my problem:

When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
inside.

But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.

Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?

Hope someone could help me.
Thanks and God bless!
0
ecnedad (60)

ecnedad wrote:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!

Hi,
I don't have an answer to your question but I imagine it would be
helpful if you provide which version of Tcl/Tk you are using and also if
you are using Ttk (Tile) widgets or the standard Tk widgets?
0
dont7029 (222)
7/16/2008 2:10:04 AM
On Jul 16, 2:55 am, ecnedad <ecne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!

Yes. Tk uses the XRDB and the .Xresources and Solaris probably has
different defaults set.
One thing that Solaris does right from what i heared is reporting the
correct dpi settings for
your display while Linux Xservers are usually lying. (see tk scaling).

But windows not fitting the size of the widgets inside sounds also
like a misuse of the layout managers,
as those usually try hard to find the right sizes. Maybe your useing
place with fixed sizes instead of one
of the more dynamic ones like pack or grid? Especially grid makes a
good resize behaviour really easy to
achieve.

Michael

0
schlenk (1615)
7/16/2008 7:56:32 AM
ecnedad wrote:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!
May have to do with the window/session managers used on the two systems.

--
Ron Fox
NSCL
"schlenk" <schlenk@uni-oldenburg.de> wrote in message
> On Jul 16, 2:55 am, ecnedad <ecne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
>> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
> Yes. Tk uses the XRDB and the .Xresources and Solaris probably has
> different defaults set.

In particular, CDE is well-known for affecting Tk's appearance because its
default resources are specified in such a way that they are very broadly
applicable.  See these pages for more info:

http://tcl.sourceforge.net/faqs/tk/#run/cde
http://wiki.tcl.tk/10424

ecnedad schrieb:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!

Sounds very much like a resolution problem!
Did you use pixel size fonts? aka -20 the meading minus sign for fontsize?

Try inside a wish command shell:
tk scaling
what does it report? somthing different to 1.0xyz?
If yes: the X11 resolution is different, aparently higher.

In this case change all dimension and font sizes to
their resolution independent representation --this
is how you should proceed anyway!

Unfortunalty won't work for images.

-roger