Appearance of Tcl/Tk Widget in Solaris OS

We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.

Let me share my problem:

When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
inside.

But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.

Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?

Hope someone could help me.
Thanks and God bless!
0
ecnedad (60)

ecnedad wrote:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!

Hi,
I don't have an answer to your question but I imagine it would be
helpful if you provide which version of Tcl/Tk you are using and also if
you are using Ttk (Tile) widgets or the standard Tk widgets?
0
dont7029 (222)
7/16/2008 2:10:04 AM
On Jul 16, 2:55 am, ecnedad <ecne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!

Yes. Tk uses the XRDB and the .Xresources and Solaris probably has
different defaults set.
One thing that Solaris does right from what i heared is reporting the
correct dpi settings for
your display while Linux Xservers are usually lying. (see tk scaling).

But windows not fitting the size of the widgets inside sounds also
like a misuse of the layout managers,
as those usually try hard to find the right sizes. Maybe your useing
place with fixed sizes instead of one
of the more dynamic ones like pack or grid? Especially grid makes a
good resize behaviour really easy to
achieve.

Michael

0
schlenk (1615)
7/16/2008 7:56:32 AM
ecnedad wrote:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!
May have to do with the window/session managers used on the two systems.

--
Ron Fox
NSCL
"schlenk" <schlenk@uni-oldenburg.de> wrote in message
> On Jul 16, 2:55 am, ecnedad <ecne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
>> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
> Yes. Tk uses the XRDB and the .Xresources and Solaris probably has
> different defaults set.

In particular, CDE is well-known for affecting Tk's appearance because its
default resources are specified in such a way that they are very broadly
applicable.  See these pages for more info:

http://tcl.sourceforge.net/faqs/tk/#run/cde
http://wiki.tcl.tk/10424

ecnedad schrieb:
> We have created windows and frames using Tcl/Tk Widgets.
>
> Let me share my problem:
>
> When we run our program in Linux OS, the windows appeared nicely
> according to the size that we have set that will fit to the widgets
> inside.
>
> But when we run the same program in Solaris OS, windows appeared with
> undesirable size that does not fit to the widgets inside.
>
> Is there any difference in the setup of LinuxOS and Solaris OS that
> affects the appearance of Tk Widgets?
>
> Hope someone could help me.
> Thanks and God bless!

Sounds very much like a resolution problem!
Did you use pixel size fonts? aka -20 the meading minus sign for fontsize?

Try inside a wish command shell:
tk scaling
what does it report? somthing different to 1.0xyz?
If yes: the X11 resolution is different, aparently higher.

In this case change all dimension and font sizes to
their resolution independent representation --this
is how you should proceed anyway!

Unfortunalty won't work for images.

-roger

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

ANNOUNCE: ADB and ADBSQL pure-tcl database engine for Tcl/Tk
Dear All, I'm happy to announce today the first release of adb/adbsql. ADB together with the MySQL database connectivity module adbsql are a Tcl/Tk package useful for Tcl/Tk programmers that want to store their data in a database-kind of way with tables and fields. Two (optional) features of ADB that may make it worthwhile for you: * Writing the database as XML output and later of course the ability to read it. * Connecting directly to a MySQL database. The fun part of ADB is that you can either use it as a full pure tcl library, or you can use these advanced features that require additional packages. Both modules are released under open source LGPL or BSD licenses (your pick) More information: http://wiki.tcl.tk/6319 - Tcl/Tk wiki page on ADB http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbsql/ - Sourceforge page (including download area) http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adb.html - Manual page of ADB http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adbsql.html - Manual page of ADBSQL Kind regards, Roalt Aalmoes ...

Komodo: Accessing widgets in the auto generated _ui.tcl from the associated .tcl file
I am using Komodo. I created a text widget and want to insert some text into it. The below is my ui.tcl file (ie. Dialog_ui.tcl). In my Dialog.tcl file I want to have access to the $base._text_log widget, so I can insert text into it. For eg. I've tried: ::Dialog::._text_log insert end "hello world!" And other variations, but have not succeeded. This seems to be something trivial, but I can't seem to figure it out. I also tried to get to the BASE variable, but was also unsuccessful. I guess my understanding of namespaces isn't correct. Is it even possible? Help is...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X: LoadError
Hello. I have a problem with Tcl/Tk in OS X, each time i try requiring tk, i get this: irb(main):001:0> require 'tk' LoadError: no such file to load -- tk from (irb):1:in `require' from (irb):1 irb(main):002:0> I am positive that I have Tcl/Tk installed - i've installed the binary from ActiveState and I've tried compiling Ruby 1.8.6 myself and I've tried installing it with MacPorts, but nonetheless it doesn't work. I've tried ./configure with --enable-mac-tcltk-framework but it seems that nothing works. I've also tried tclsh and wis...

HELP! REFRESHING LABEL WIDGET IN TCL/TK
hi everyone, i'm a newbie to tcl/tk. i want to change the value of a label (using -text option)in a while loop. ex: label .l1 -text "value of i" pack .l1 set i 10 while { $i>0} { .l1 configure -text "$i" # changing the text value of label after 500 incr i -1 } In this loop, i have even used delay( "after 500") . but i get only the final value( i =1) displayed on the label . can anyone help me in refreshing the label widget. pralini@gmail.com wrote: > hi everyone, > i'm a newbie to tcl/t...

Mac OS X & tcl/tk...
Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone knows of or has compiled tk for Mac OS X the 'unix' way ie: not the tcl/tk Aqua and can help with compilling tk. As a side note, i have managed to get tcl installed, got some errors while running make test, but it 'seems' to ok so far. The error message that I'm getting while trying to compile is: pp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode <built-in>:1:1: no macro name given in #define directive make: *** [tk3d.o] Error 1 Thanking you in advance. Shannon Shannon, In article <96e8bbb0.0...

How to drag a file into tcl tk entry widget?
I want to have my script ability to receive drooped files from windows explorer on tk entry widget. Basically when user drops a file on widget, it should be filled with its path. Is it possible using tcl tk? Thanks On 7/24/12 10:08 AM, sarbjit1987@gmail.com wrote: > I want to have my script ability to receive drooped files from windows explorer on tk entry widget. Basically when user drops a file on widget, it should be filled with its path. Is it possible using tcl tk? Use the TkDnD extension. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net | +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Στις 24/7/2012 18:11, ο/η Gerald W. Lester έγραψε: > On 7/24/12 10:08 AM, sarbjit1987@gmail.com wrote: >> I want to have my script ability to receive drooped files from windows >> explorer on tk entry widget. Basically when user drops a file on >> widget, it should be filled with its path. Is it possible using tcl tk? > > Use the TkDnD extension. > > A tutorial can be found here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/36708 George On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:43:43 PM UTC+5:30, George Petasis wrote: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 24/7/2012 18:11, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 Gerald W. Lester = =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: > &gt; On 7/24...

windows tcl/tk bug does not appear under Wine
I posted about this four days ago without a response so I'm reposting in the hope that somebody understands what is going on. I sent a friend a Starpack so that he could test a program under MS Windows. When he ran it, he encountered the old bug in which assigning a hexadecimal number like 0xFF to a scale variable (not "scalar", but the variable named in the -variable option of a scale widget) fails because 0xFF is interpreted as non- numeric. I've encountered this before and fixed it (by using decimal), but evidently hadn't changed it here. The MS Windows runtime I used turned out to be tcl 8.4.9, so it makes sense that the bug would turn up when running the Starpack but not on my Linux systems since they have 8.4.14 or later. The weird thing is that when I run the same Starpack under Linux using Wine I get no such error. I don't see how that is possible. The Tcl that is running under Wine is 8.4.9, not the later Linux version, so the bug should appear when running under Wine just as it does on a real Windows system. Does anyone understand how this could happen? billposer@alum.mit.edu wrote: > I sent a friend a Starpack so that he could test a program under MS > Windows. When he ran it, he encountered the old bug in which assigning > a hexadecimal number like 0xFF to a scale variable (not "scalar", but > the variable named in the -variable option of a scale widget) fails > because 0xFF is interpreted as non- numeric. I&#...

Build Tcl and Tk on Solaris 64 bit?
Packages aren't available for this without a fee on activestate and I'm not using it for business so..... Does anyone happen to know how to get these built on Solaris in 64 bit mode? Only a 32 bit build with gcc seems to work. On Sep 15, 4:04=A0pm, Fritz Wuehler <fr...@spamexpire-201109.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote: > Packages aren't available for this without a fee on activestate and I'm n= ot > using it for business so..... Does anyone happen to know how to get these > built on Solaris in 64 bit mode? Only a 32 bit build with gcc seems to > work. It compiles without problems with Sun CC. Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-201109.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote: > Packages aren't available for this without a fee on activestate and I'm not > using it for business so..... Does anyone happen to know how to get these > built on Solaris in 64 bit mode? Only a 32 bit build with gcc seems to > work. You have to specify --libdir pointing to Solaris studio lib On Sep 15, 7:04=A0am, Fritz Wuehler <fr...@spamexpire-201109.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote: > Packages aren't available for this without a fee on activestate and I'm n= ot > using it for business so..... Does anyone happen to know how to get these > built on Solaris in 64 bit mode? Only a 32 bit build with gcc seems to > work. Tcl/Tk builds OK on Solaris for 64-bit with gcc. I use the following 'configure' flags ...

Tcl/Tk problems on Mac OS X
The program I asked about is rather long, but here is a stripped down version consisting of just the GUI. Under GNU/Linux it creates the non-popup windows, and sets up the menus. With the exception of "Quit", the commands have been removed. My friend with the Mac says that when he tries to run it it fails in exactly the same way as the full program, that is, he sees some pastel-colored rectangles and then it hangs. encoding system utf-8 package require msgcat proc _ {s} {return [::msgcat::mc $s]}; # Define shorthand for gettext # Use a virtual event for the right mouse button and ...

1st Call For Papers
22nd Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2015) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/ October 19 - 23, 2015 Comfort Suites Manassas 7350 Williamson Blvd, 20109 Manassas, Virginia, USA Important Dates: Abstracts and proposals due August 24, 2015 Notification to authors August 31, 2015 WIP and BOF reservations open July 27, 2015 Author materials due September 28, 2015 Tutorials Start October 19, 2015 Conference starts October 21, 2015 Email Contact: tclconference@googlegroups.com Submission of Summaries Tcl/Tk 201...

2nd Call For Papers for the 17th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2010)
[[ Important Changes: More information about registration at the hotel. Our location chair has organized special social activities, both geeky (FermiLab Tour) and cultured (Theatre). See below for more. ]] 17th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2010) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2010/ October 11 - 15, 2010 Hilton Suites/Conference Center Chicago/Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, USA Important Dates: Abstracts and proposals due August 1, 2010 Notification to authors August 15, 2010 WIP and BOF reservations open August 1, 2010 Author materials due October 1, 2010 Tutorials Start October 11, 2010 Conference starts October 13, 2010 Email Contact: tclconference@googlegroups.com Submission of Summaries Tcl/Tk 2010 will be held in Chicago/Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois USA from October 11 - 15, 2010. The program committee is asking for papers and presentation proposals from anyone using or developing with Tcl/Tk (and extensions). Past conferences have seen submissions covering a wide variety of topics including: * Scientific and engineering applications * Industrial controls * Distributed applications and Network Managment * Object oriented extensions to Tcl/Tk * New widgets for Tk * Simulation and application steering with Tcl/Tk * Tcl/Tk-centric operating environments * Tcl/Tk on small and embedded devices * Medical applications and visualization * Use of different programming paradigms in Tcl/Tk and pr...

blt-20100206.tar.gz on ftp://www.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/nightly-cvs/
It appears this BLT file was placed there a couple of weeks ago on Feb. 7, 2010. I downloaded it but couldn't get the example scripts to run. It seems some files are missing, such as pkgIndex.tcl and BLT24.dll. Has anyone else tried looking at it? Regards, sd/ Any issues compiling it? I tried on Linux and get this: bltPictDraw.c:62: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before =91XftFont=92 bltPictDraw.c: In function =91CreateSimpleTextLayout=92: bltPictDraw.c:597: error: =91FtFont=92 has no member named =91height=92 bltPictDraw.c:614: error: =91FtFont=92 has no member...

[Tcl/Tk Community] We need *urgent* advertisement among CS students about Tcl in GSoC 2009
Hi! I'm Tomasz Kosiak. This year I have an honor to officially serve as an administrator for Tcl/Tk Community involvement in Google Summer of Code 2009 program. I would like to ask all broad Tcl community members to help us reach students worldwide and encourage them to apply for a summer scholarship. If you have never heard of Google Summer of Code (aka GSoC) it is a Google, Inc. sponsored initiative to fund aproximately 1000 student scholarship $4500 each for coding during a summer for ideas freely chosen by approved open-source organization. Tcl/Tk community is approved again by Google this year (second time). We seek opportunities to advertise among CS students our GSoC project ideas. That is why I have prepared one slide info about Tcl/Tk and GSoC. This e-mail can be freely forwarded directly to prospective students or to your fellow university teachers so they can show this slide for their students. The goal is to reach students worldwide willing to apply to Tcl/Tk as mentoring organization. See Tcl/Tk GSoC 2009 in a pill at http://tinyurl.com/tcl-gsoc2009 and this is the only URL students shall write down to get started. Official news about Tcl/Tk GSoC 2009 is at http://www.tcl.tk/gsoc/ and http://wiki.tcl.tk/22182. We, Tcl mentors and admins, are really willing to help students prepare their applications. This is what our community is fond of. As last year we *do* plan to act as umbrella organization for other Tcl-related projects like Tk, XOTcl, Expect, AO...

Web resources about - Appearance of Tcl/Tk Widget in Solaris OS - comp.lang.tcl

Cameo appearance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , typically unnamed or appearing as themselves. These roles are generally small, many of them non-speaking ones, and are commonly either appearances ...

Zuckerberg appearance helps propel stock above $20 for first time in 4 weeks
... spoke candidly and confidently about the company’s mobile future and eventual foray into search. Zuckerberg has avoided public appearances ...

#OnlyOnTwitter: With a cameo appearance by Ryan Gosling
Welcome to another edition of our on-going effort to capture and showcase the incredible array of moments that happen #OnlyOnTwitter. This week ...

Questions on Physical Appearances of People - Quora
Have you ever been denied a job because of your age, gender, color, weight, or physical appearance? How did you handle it? I am 55 and have a ...

Edward Snowden's Surprise Appearance at TED
jurvetson posted a photo: Speaking with Chris Anderson and Tim Berners Lee on a telepresence robot, beaming in from a secret location in Russia. ...

Florida Georgia Line, "Cruise" (Live), With A Surprise Appearance By Taylor Swift - YouTube
Florida Georgia Line closing out Country Radio Seminar 2013 with "Cruise." Taylor Swift comes out unannounced to join them! Read more about all ...

Jesinta Campbell told to cover up for TV appearances
Jesinta Campbell was once advised on how to dress when she planned on tackling weighty issues during her TV appearances.

Jesinta Campbell told to cover up for TV appearances
Jesinta Campbell was once advised on how to dress when she planned on tackling weighty issues during her TV appearances.

Amazing dawn light show as Aurora Australis makes a rare WA appearance
The southern lights of the Aurora Australis put on a rare, stunning show over WA's South-West on Monday.

Spider-Man makes his first appearance in the new ‘Captain America: Civil War’ trailer
Finally, Spidey returns! But before we can get to that, let's address the latest trailer for Captain America: Civil War . There was little doubt ...