Books about Tcl 8.6

Is there a book about Tcl 8.6 upcoming?

Or which of http://wiki.tcl.tk/57 is best suited to cover the features of new http://tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.6.html?

I prefer a positive response to the first question (because it is not asking for opinion). Otherwise I prefer pure Tcl over Tk.

Thanks,
Martin
0
heinrichmartin

Dear Martin,

I am not aware of any professional book for Tcl/Tk 8.6.

Even for Tcl/Tk 8.6, there is not to much:

BOOK Tcl 8.5 Network Programming (I like this one)
and I heard that the Osterhout book was updated

8.5, but I don't know:
https://www.packtpub.com/networking-and-servers/tcltk-85-programming-cookbook

This is IMHO the standard but getting old:
BOOK Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk, Fourth edition

Online helpful:
http://wiki.tcl.tk/40328
(about tcloo)
http://www.tkdocs.com/
(about ttk)

Sorry,
Harald
0
Harald

Question on migration from TCL 8.3 to TCL 8.6
Hi All, I am working on a EDA tool which is built on TCL 8.3 platform. I need to upgrade the platform to TCL 8.6. Is it proper to move directly from 8.3 to 8.6 version? Or should I upgrade to TCL 8.5 as TCL 8.6 is still beta version. Please suggest me precautions. Please point me to documentation/User guide related to this. Thanks for help, Divyesh On Thursday, 30 January 2014 04:47:57 UTC, Divyesh Patel wrote: > Is it proper to move directly from 8.3 to 8.6 version? Or should I upgrade to TCL 8.5 as TCL 8.6 is still beta version. > Tcl 8.6.1 is now the current ...

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you i...

ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 8.6 released (supports TCL/TK 8.6.0)
This message announces the availability of freeWrap version 6.6. FreeWrap 6.6 is based on TCL/TK 8.6.0 freeWrap is a program that allows creation of stand-alone TCL/TK executables without needing a compiler. Versions are free and available for the Windows and Linux operating systems. Instructions and source code for building freeWrap are also available. The following additional variation of freeWrap is also available for download: freewrapTCLSH a console-only application which includes only TCL. Please visit the freeWrap home page: http://freewrap....

Binary reader speed comparison
I have a fairly simple binary reader proc that exhibits massive speed differences between Tcl 8.5.8 and Tcl8.6b1.1. Here's the proc: proc readFormatted {filename} { set fd [ open $filename r ] fconfigure $fd -encoding binary -translation binary binary scan [ read $fd 2 ] cc type nextlen if {$type != 75} { return -error "File is not in the expected format" } while {![append buffer [read $fd $nextlen] ; eof $fd]} { binary scan [read $fd 2] cc lastlen nextlen # convert to unsigned value set nextlen ...

Tcl 8.6, ActiveTcl 8.6 & linux Fedora 16 (64 bit)...
Hi all, Just a quick note about installing ActiveTcl 8.6 under Fedora 16, 64 bit. Downloading ActiveTcl 8.6 and trying to run the installer, fails. The reason is that libXss.so, is missing from the system, and Tk seems to need this. The problem can be "resolved" by installing the package "libXScrnSaver". But there is no such package for Fedora 16, and (thankfully) the package gets installed from Fedora 15. Maybe this is a "sign" that libXss.so will disappear in the (near?) future... George PS: Also the mysql TDBC driver crashes, as the shared library has ...

Tcl OO mixins and inheritence behaviour change from version 8.6.2 to version 8.6.3
Hi, it seems that implementation of object oriented functionality in tcl8.6.3 changed in a away that breaks my existing code. My test code looks like this: oo::class create MixinClass { method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } } oo::class create BaseClass { mixin MixinClass method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } } oo::class create TargetClass { superclass BaseClass method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } }...

can you run e commerce site using just tcl 8.6.2 and a pure tcl webserver?
and have decent performance? ...

regsub in tcl 8.5 and 8.6
parse this row set a "123(qwe)" in tcl 8.6 # regsub -all "\\(.*" $a "" 123qwe) in tcl 8.5 # regsub -all "\\(.*" $a "" 123 What to do ? Thank you for the report. Confirmed with 8.5.16 and 8.6.2 Aparently, 8.6 is not as greedy as 8.5. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature. Could you please register a bug report at: core.tcl.tk/tcl -> Login as anonymous -> New ticket The most important people don't read clt but read bug reports... Thank you, Harald 0L/QvtC90LXQtNC10LvRjNC90LjQuiwgOCDRgdC10L3RgtG...

TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?
It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are problem as well. :( I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL intrepeter in each one. The interps are isolated and do not communicate or share anything withe each other. Each thread is a rule processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize... Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem... But with TCL 8.3 and TCL 8.4 we get quite a f...

Tcl 8.6
Hi folks! Funny question, but when Tcl 8.6 will finally released? On 5/10/11 9:24 AM, Alexander Nusov wrote: > Hi folks! > > Funny question, but when Tcl 8.6 will finally released? Tcl release are kind of like hush puppies -- they come out when they are done. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net | +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ On May 10, 10:24=A0am...

Compatibility issues of Tcl/Tk 8.6 with windows 8...
Hi all, I am facing a strange compatibility issue between tcl/tk 8.6 and the windows 8 (at least the 64 bit version) operating system. The problem as observed from the user point of view is a general "sluggishness", the application is slow and painful to use. Timing various actions, I have found that there are unexplained delays from 1,5 to 3 seconds inserted between successive tcl commands, most around calling tcloo methods from outside the object. For example, I have a tcloo class, which builds some part of a GUI. From inside a method, I create a button: tt...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4
Hi, I am trying to download incr Tcl and incr Tk for Tcl/Tk 8.4.19. I looked at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/incrtcl/files/%5BIncr%20Tcl_Tk%5D-source/3.4.1/ But only itcl seems to be there. And the CVS doesn't have the 3.4.1 tag. Do you know where I can get incr Tk and hopefully a corresponding iwidgets? Thanks, Andres On 5 Okt., 11:16, Andres Garcia <tclc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to download incr Tcl and incr Tk for Tcl/Tk 8.4.19. > > I looked at: > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/incrtcl/files/%5BIncr%20Tcl_Tk%5D-sou... > > ...

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > ...

'lrange' differences in tcl 8.4 and 8.6
Hi, lrange works differently in tcl versions 8.4 and 8.6, if the output has only #. % info patch 8.4.13 % % set test {a "#"} a "#" % set testme [lrange $test 1 end] # % info patch 8.6.1 % set test2 {a "#"} a "#" % set testme [lrange $test2 1 end] {#} Is this an intentional change ? Most of our regression scripts are failing after upgrade to 8.6.1, as the regular expressions don't match, as lrange was earlier returning #, but after upgrade {#} Regards, Lucky Lucky Y <ylucki@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, >...

Web resources about - Books about Tcl 8.6 - comp.lang.tcl

Book Salon
FDL Community Conversations with Authors

Book talk:London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This book is within the scope of WikiProject England , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of England on Wikipedia. If you would like ...

‘Making A Murderer’ Prosecutor Begged Steven Avery To Confess So He Could Write A Book About It
It seems that Ken Kratz has always thought of himself as the prize.

Another Season Is in the Books for the ‘Washington Racial Slurs’
On today’s ESPN Radio broadcast of The Dan Le Batard Show, an NFL team was casually referred to as “the Washington Racial Slurs.” It got us wondering ...

What changed when The Expanse went from book series to television
... Leviathan Wakes , the first installment in an increasingly epic series called The Expanse, about war and solar system colonization. The books ...

‘Making a Murderer’ Updates: Season 2 may be possible and Ken Kratz is writing a book
It's been a little more than a month since Making a Murderer debuted on Netflix and the buzz swirling around the documentary still shows no signs ...

'Making a Murderer' prosecutor Ken Kratz is writing a book about the case and asked Steven Avery to confess ...
Ken Kratz, the prosecuting attorney in the trial of "Making a Murderer" subject Steven Avery, is writing a book. The former district attorney ...

Kevin Smith Hints DC Might Consider A TV/Movie Multiverse Crossover - Comic Book Resources
Kevin Smith Hints DC Might Consider A TV/Movie Multiverse Crossover - A segment cut from this week's "DC Films" special could be good news for ...

‘Too Dumb To Fail’ Book Update
There’s just one day left before the release of my new book Too Dumb to Fail!—and I’m heading to New York City as I type this. There won’t be ...

‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Movie Based On Best-Selling Book To Unleash In 2017
Universal Pictures has set director Lasse Hallström’s A Dog’s Purpose , based on the best-selling book of the same name, for release on Jan. ...