Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.

Dear All,

Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03.
But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.  Tcl Windows 9x users
should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl
8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug.

Chengye Mao

http://www.geocities.com/~chengye

Chengye Mao wrote:
> Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03.
> But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.  Tcl Windows 9x users
> should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl
> 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug.

Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced?  Was the
fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by
accident?

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos
Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote in message news:<409EEDB5.40905@activestate.com>...
> Chengye Mao wrote:
> > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03.
> > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.  Tcl Windows 9x users
> > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl
> > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug.
>
> Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced?  Was the
> fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by
> accident?

Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a
missing space between tclpip.dll and the following command. The fix
simply added the required space to solve this problem. I could not see
any issues that the fix could possiblly have and don't understand why
it should be replaced by the old buggy code.  I guess it was probably
reverted accidentently.

Chengye
Chengye Mao wrote:
>> > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03.
>> > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.  Tcl Windows 9x users
>> > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl
>> > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug.

Jeff Hobbs ...

Chengye Mao wrote:
> Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a
> missing space between tclpip.dll and the following command. The fix
> simply added the required space to solve this problem. I could not see
> any issues that the fix could possiblly have and don't understand why
> it should be replaced by the old buggy code.  I guess it was probably
> reverted accidentently.

I see you re-fixed 789040 in revision 1.44; this should also be
done on the core-8-4-branch if Tcl 8.4.7 is to also be corrected.

Of greater concern to me is whether David Gravereaux agrees with
this change, and we've now reached a stable solution, or whether
you'll continue a tug-o-war over BuildCommandLine() .  :(

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote:

>Of greater concern to me is whether David Gravereaux agrees with
>this change, and we've now reached a stable solution, or whether
>you'll continue a tug-o-war over BuildCommandLine() .  :(

Confusion is best fixed with commenting of the source for those non-obvious
things.  Now it's obvious.  The only way to hit the "need to prime" logic on NT
is to execute a 16-bit DOS app under Tk.  And the part that primes the cmdLine
DString already appends a space:

win/tclWinPipe.c:1161 ::
	    Tcl_DStringAppend(&cmdLine, "cmd.exe /c ", -1);

I'll remove that space as BuildCommandLine() will be doing this.
--
David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]
Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote in message news:<slrnc9v4a2.p3f.dgp@clover.cam.nist.gov>...

> Jeff Hobbs ...
> >> Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced?  Was the
> >> fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by
> >> accident?
>
> Chengye Mao wrote:
> > Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a
> > missing space between tclpip.dll and the following command. The fix
> > simply added the required space to solve this problem. I could not see
> > any issues that the fix could possiblly have and don't understand why
> > it should be replaced by the old buggy code.  I guess it was probably
> > reverted accidentently.
>
> I see you re-fixed 789040 in revision 1.44; this should also be
> done on the core-8-4-branch if Tcl 8.4.7 is to also be corrected.
>
> Of greater concern to me is whether David Gravereaux agrees with
> this change, and we've now reached a stable solution, or whether
> you'll continue a tug-o-war over BuildCommandLine() .  :(

David has modified the code with a better solution and I am very pleased.

Chengye