Building Tcl/Tk from source on Windows

Hi All,

I just built Tcl/Tk under Win7 from the latest HEAD sources (using
VC++).  Tcl built without a hitch, though I had some issues with Tk.
I'm sure they're probably related to the fact that I'm somewhat out of
my element here, but I'd like to get this right...

When building Tk, I received a fatal link error that tcl86.lib couldn't
be found.  Inspecting the folder it was looking at, I found that the Tcl
build (made just prior) had created a tcl86t.lib file instead.

Doing some digging, I discovered the trialing "t" suffix represents a
threaded build (from the "rules.vc" file).

Not being entirely sure how to properly rectify the situation, I found a
copy of tcl86.lib on my system in the AS 8.6b1.1 lib folder.  I ended up
using that to build Tk against (by assigning TCLDIR to the AS lib folder).

The final result is a working wish86.exe, but I wonder what I should
have done?

Thanks,

Jeff
0
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
>When building Tk, I received a fatal link error that tcl86.lib couldn't
>be found.  Inspecting the folder it was looking at, I found that the Tcl
>build (made just prior) had created a tcl86t.lib file instead.
>
>Doing some digging, I discovered the trialing "t" suffix represents a
>threaded build (from the "rules.vc" file).
yes, different version get a suffix (e.g. a debug version gets a 'd').

>Not being entirely sure how to properly rectify the situation, I found a
>copy of tcl86.lib on my system in the AS 8.6b1.1 lib folder.  I ended up
>using that to build Tk against (by assigning TCLDIR to the AS lib folder).
This is potentially risky (and may lead to bugs which are _extremely_
hard to identify), because you have now mixed the results from 2
(potentially very) different source trees:
- The one used to build AS 8.6b1.1, and
- the one from the CVS HEAD.

>The final result is a working wish86.exe, but I wonder what I should
>have done?
a) Modify the makefile to ask for tcl86t.lib. The spot to affect this
modification may be somewhat hard to find, so maybe it is easier to
b) between building Tcl and building Tk insert a copy or rename
command
b1) append the command to the commands creating Tcl, or
b2) without modifying the makefile: create a batch file like
    make Tcl
    copy <path>/tcl86t.lib <path>/tcl86.lib
    make Tk

In both cases the make process for Tk should now find the proper .lib
file.
HTH
Helmut Giese
0
Helmut
5/3/2010 11:02:20 PM
On 5/3/2010 6:02 PM, Helmut Giese wrote:

> a) Modify the makefile to ask for tcl86t.lib. The spot to affect this
> modification may be somewhat hard to find, so maybe it is easier to
> b) between building Tcl and building Tk insert a copy or rename
> command
> b1) append the command to the commands creating Tcl, or
> b2) without modifying the makefile: create a batch file like
>      make Tcl
>      copy<path>/tcl86t.lib<path>/tcl86.lib
>      make Tk
>
> In both cases the make process for Tk should now find the proper .lib
> file.

Helmut,

I copied the file and was able to get a successful build - thanks.

I don't know how everything in the makefiles gets configured, but I
guess I would have expected the Tk makefile to use the same logic that
caused the Tcl makefile to create the "t" suffix'd file in the first
place.  In which case, the proper lib file would have been found
automatically.

Is that not the way it should have worked?

Jeff

0
Jeff
5/3/2010 11:39:30 PM
Hi Jeff,
>I copied the file and was able to get a successful build - thanks.
good.

>I don't know how everything in the makefiles gets configured
Well, neither do I. There's this "horrible" :) makefile.in which is
the base the actual makefile is created from, but being a Windows guy
I don't really know much about this stuff.

>guess I would have expected the Tk makefile to use the same logic that
>caused the Tcl makefile to create the "t" suffix'd file in the first
>place.  In which case, the proper lib file would have been found
>automatically.
>
>Is that not the way it should have worked?
Yeah, I guess it _should_ have - but, well, reality is different
sometimes. In cases like this I am usually happy if I find a
work-around which is as unintrusive as possible and easy to apply.

If I were you I would just let it stand as it is.
Best regards
Helmut Giese
0
Helmut

Possible bug in Tcl or Windows or Tcl on Windows
Hi, There seems to be a bug in the way numbers are compared in Tcl. Consider the below script for calculating Pythagorean triplets. For hypotenuse upto a value of 100, there should have been 63 unique triplets. On Windows XP the script detects only 62. The script doesn't detect the case where c=99, b=20 ==> a=101. However running the same script under Tcl 8.4.1 in Cygwin detects 63 triplets. I don't have a Linux machine at hand to test it there. Following is the script and relevant output. Could anyone shed some light on the cause of this. Maybe it has something to do with how ...

Building Tcl/Tk as a static library on Windows
Hi, i'd like to build Tcl and Tk as a static library to use it in own programs as an internal scripting language. I'd like to build standalone programs that don't need any other DLLs. Can anybody tell me how to build Tcl and Tk as a static library on Windows? Thanks for hints, Torsten. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:32:00 +0100, Torsten Mohr <tmohr@s.netic.de> wrote: >Hi, > >i'd like to build Tcl and Tk as a static library to use it in >own programs as an internal scripting language. I'd like to >build standalone programs that don't need any other ...

Are the nightly builds on ftp://www.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/nightly-cvs/ still alive ?
Hello I was frequently using the tarballs to stay up-to-date with Tlc/Tk source code... Is there any plan to either : 1- resume the nightly builds at the same location ; 2- provide a similar service elsewhere with Fossil SCM ? Thanks Strykaas Van Basten <strykaas@gmail.com> writes: >Hello > >I was frequently using the tarballs to stay up-to-date with Tlc/Tk >source code... Is there any plan to either : > >1- resume the nightly builds at the same location ; > >2- provide a similar service elsewhere with Fossil SCM ? > >Thanks Fos...

Hi everyone, I have been pulling my hair with this one for a couple of days and still have not found a fix. I'm working within ANSYS Tcl-Tk implementation. I created a Tcl-Tk script that generates a simple window with three buttons. Each button opens another window which is created in a separate Tcl file. The second window have a lot of text entries, variables, procedures, etc. I can open the second Tcl file by itself and everything works as supposed, but when I open it using the button in the first window, it opens but any procedure called by the widgets on the second window are not fou...

Using Tcl::Tk Module with Tcl/Tk 8.5
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, as it is with relation to the Tcl::Tk module, rather than Perl/Tk specifically. I'd like to use Tcl::Tk with Tcl/Tk 8.5 rather than 8.4. To that end, on a clean Debian Testing system I have installed only Tcl/Tk 8.5 and also finally managed to install the Tcl::Tk module. I was having problems installing the Tcl-0.95 module, which Tcl::Tk depends on, but fixed it with a specific include path call: >sudo perl Makefile.PL --tclsh /usr/bin/tclsh8.5 --tclconfig /usr/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh --include /usr/include/tcl8.5 Fo...

Building a windows app with Tcl/Tk includes X.h
I'm building a windows app with Tcl and Tk embedded. Visual Studio is generating the following error: c:\Tcl\include\X11\X.h(51) : error C2371: 'Font' : redefinition; different basic types c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\include \comdef.h(305) : see declaration of 'Font' It seems to me that it shouldn't be trying to include anything from X11. Is there a #define I should pass to the compiler, or #include more than just "tk.h" ? I'm using 8.4 with 8.5 overlayed (both from ActiveState). Thanks, Simon Geard SimonG wrote: &g...

Build Tcl/Tk 8.4.5 under Windows with MinGW
Hi I have build Tcl/Tk 8.4.5 under Windows based on the sources from www.tcl.tk with MINGW (latest version) No problem and everything works fine except the tk_getsavefile and the tk_getopenfile function. If i use one of these functions -> kernel32.dll error. Memory is not writable. Under XP, NT, 95, 98. Linux, no problem. Any ideas? Greetings KjM KjM wrote: > Hi > > I have build Tcl/Tk 8.4.5 under Windows based on the sources from > www.tcl.tk with MINGW (latest version) > No problem and everything works fine except the tk_getsavefile and the > tk_getopenfile ...

Errors in building tcl 8.4.2 from source in Windows 2000
Hello, I am trying to build TCL 8.4.2 (thread enabled) from source in Windows 2000 and using mingw for that.I run configure enabling threads by configure --enable-threads.Then i run make command and getting following errors.Have anyone seen this errors before ,if so would you please suggest what to do? Thanks, Seena windres -o tclsh.res.o --include "c:\msys\src\tcl8.4.4\generic" --include "." "tclsh.rc" gcc -O tclAppInit.o libtcl84.a \ tclsh.res.o -o tclsh84.exe -mconsole tclAppInit.o(.text+0x8c):tclAppInit.c: undefined reference to `...

New wiki page shows how to build Tcl/Tk for Windows using Msys+Mingw
Hello all There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on the Wiki about how to build a native Win32 version of Tcl/Tk using the gcc compiler. I created and linked in this wiki page in the hopes that it will clear up the confusion. This page covers the supported way to build with gcc under Windows. It does not cover VC++, Borland, or Cygwin. http://wiki.tcl.tk/14828 cheers Mo DeJong ...

How Tcl source finds init.tcl???
Hi, I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for init.tcl? Is there any way to specifically use init.tcl from a certain path? Thanks a lot in advance! Lihong lihong pei wrote: > I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. > What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for > init.tcl? If the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY exists, it's value is assumed to be a single directory which is added to the search path for init.tcl. Note that this is offered mostly as a way for...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]
hi, where can i get Coverage for debugging tcl/tk, [incr Tcl] source? this tool is advised to use in 'Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk' or any other good debugger, which i could use? best, s. On Jan 23, 5:56=A0am, Sitaca <sit...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi, > > where can i get Coverage for debugging tcl/tk, [incr Tcl] source? > this tool is advised to use in 'Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk' > > or any other good debugger, which i could use? I see, at http://wiki.tcl.tk/8638 , a brief reference to the topic of coverage for tcl. I don't know w...

TCL/TK window with no window decoration, but with keyboard and mouse events
Hi all, I want to make a toplevel window that is shown without window decoration on a linux box, but I want it to receive all mouse and keyboard events. I am trying to build a GUI that looks a bit like an old DOS GUI: one full screen window without decoration, and with a menu on the top of the window that can be navigated both with the mouse and keyboard. I am trying the following piece of code, but if I type <Alt-F>, it does not open the file menu. Can anyone give me a hint on how to achieve this? Thanks a lot #!/usr/bin/wish # Hide the main window wm withdraw . # Make sure the main ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4
Hi, I am trying to download incr Tcl and incr Tk for Tcl/Tk 8.4.19. I looked at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/incrtcl/files/%5BIncr%20Tcl_Tk%5D-source/3.4.1/ But only itcl seems to be there. And the CVS doesn't have the 3.4.1 tag. Do you know where I can get incr Tk and hopefully a corresponding iwidgets? Thanks, Andres On 5 Okt., 11:16, Andres Garcia <tclc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to download incr Tcl and incr Tk for Tcl/Tk 8.4.19. > > I looked at: > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/incrtcl/files/%5BIncr%20Tcl_Tk%5D-sou... > > ...

Sourcing a TCL file from within a tcl file
I am a newbie which I am sure I don't need to state :) I am trying to create a variable with a TCL file that will source another tcl file when I type the variable name something like this if I enter A through my keyboard then source a.tcl Can someone show me how to do this thanks guy On Dec 10, 1:15=A0pm, guy <gcoletta2...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am a newbie which I am sure I don't need to state :) > > I am trying to create a variable with a TCL file that will source > another tcl file when I type the variable name > > something like this > > if I e...

Newbie to Tcl/Tk: Question about Tcl and VxWorks....
Hello All, I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. Many thanks in advance, Richard "Richard Latter" <richard_l@latter.demon.co.uk> writes: > I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's > without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk > available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. I have ancient Tcl 7.3 here, but don'...

tcl/tk unicode wie kann man formel/math. zeichen in tk unter tcl anzeigen lassen?
Hallo, ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen unabh�ngig? English summary for the rest of the world: sven.rega@gmx.de would like to use mathematical symbols like "mu" in Tk applications. He asks if Unicode is the solution and whether that works on all platforms. I assert that Unicode works since Tcl 8.1 and that UCN syntax like \u00B5 is the way to go with symbols hardcoded in Tcl scripts. I point him to "charmap.exe" (Windows), "Character Palette" (Mac OS X) or generically to <http://www.unicode.org> to find out the Unicode code points. ---------------- Hi, Versuch doch bitte beim n�chsten Mal auf Englisch zu fragen, sonst kann Dir nur ein Bruchteil der Leute hier folgen. sven.rega@gmx.de (xfan) writes: > ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und > vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch > mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit > welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? Ja, das funktioniert mit Unicode in Tcl seit Version 8.1. > funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen > unabh�ngig? Das ist die ...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Cross-building Tcl and Scotty; do I need to install Tcl?
I need to build Tcl and Scotty for ARM and PPC on Intel, all Linux systems. I've done this in a painful, unenlightened manual way before but I'm trying to automate some build steps now and I'm not quite there. My source tree looks like: oss tcl scotty with the source distributions expanded under the obvious subdirectories so I have oss/tcl/generic, oss/tcl/win, oss/tcl/unix, and the same with scotty in the middle. I've discovered the joys of VPATH and started by building Tcl: cd oss/tcl/unix mkdir arm cd arm ../configure <a bunch of options h...

Building Tcl extensions on Windows
I'm trying to port some local binary Tcl extensions from Linux to Windows using MinGW. The Windows machine I'm using is running 64-bit windows, but my target environment is 32-bit windows. What gcc options do I need to use to make sure that I get 32-bit code? Is "- march=i686" sufficient? On Oct 4, 10:17=A0am, Will Duquette <w...@wjduquette.com> wrote: > I'm trying to port some local binary Tcl extensions from Linux to > Windows using MinGW. =A0The Windows machine I'm using is running 64-bit > windows, but my target environment is 32-bit windows. =...

Tcl/Tk source tarball
Is it possible to grab the latest HEAD Tcl/Tk sources without having an installed CVS client? If so, how, where? Thanks, Jeff On May 3, 12:52=A0pm, Jeff Godfrey <jeff_godf...@pobox.com> wrote: > Is it possible to grab the latest HEAD Tcl/Tk sources without having an > installed CVS client? =A0If so, how, where? ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/nightly-cvs/ is a site maintained by activestate that has the cvs head of various tcl related packages. Of course, there's no guarantee that the cvs head of a package - even like tcl - is going to compile . These are...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-pam Tcl-pam is a Tcl interface to the PAM* service of Linux. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to use PAM to authenticate users and programs. It relies on linux-pam library: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/ * PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules): A mechanism to integrate multiple low−level authentication schemes into a high−level application programming interface (API). This enables programs that rely on authentication to be written independently of the underlying authentication scheme. Platform:...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-gaul Tcl-gaul is a Tcl extension for genetic/evolutionary algorithm processing.It relies on the GAUL library: http://gaul.sourceforge.net/ * A genetic algorithm (GA) is a search technique used in computing to find exact or approximate solutions to optimization and search problems. Genetic algorithms are categorized as global search heuristics. They are a particular class of evolutionary algorithms that use techniques inspired by evolutionary biology such as inheritance, mutation, selection, and crossover. For ...

running other tcl from a tcl
Is that possible? 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl 2 - from a tcl to call other one # first.tcl content below exec hello.tcl # end regards, mauro ps.: I'm not experience in Tcl. Mauro Silva wrote: > Is that possible? > > 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: > > c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl > > 2 - from a tcl to call other one > > # first.tcl content below > > exec hello.tcl > > # end > > regards, > m...

Web resources about - Building Tcl/Tk from source on Windows - comp.lang.tcl

Auditorium Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... -87.6251722 Coordinates : 41°52′33.95″N 87°37′30.62″W  /  41.8760972°N 87.6251722°W  / 41.8760972; -87.6251722 The Auditorium Building in ...

RMIT turns building's broken glass into ray of sunshine
RMIT will replace 16,440 glass disks on its critically acclaimed Design Hub in Swanston Street, after nine of the building's disks broke almost ...

Baltimore Ravens Offseason Roundtable: Part III Roster Building
Baltimore Ravens Offseason Roundtable: Part III Roster Building Baltimore Beatdown LOL. Chuck Mills: James Laurinaitis and seeing as Boyle ...

Hillary: ‘We Don’t Need to Make America Great,’ ‘Instead of Building Walls, We Need To Be Tearing Down ...
Hillary: 'We Don't Need to Make America Great,' 'Instead of Building Walls, We Need To Be Tearing Down Barriers'

This woman is getting famous for building hilariously terrible robots
Simone Giertz is rapidly gaining celebrity status on YouTube for building robots. What makes Simone's bots so special? They're terrible, over-the-top, ...

TB Joshua's church sued by children of man killed in building collapse
The church of popular evangelist TB Joshua is being sued following the collapse of one of its buildings in 2014, which killed 116 people.

IDG Contributor Network: SAP Hybris rolls out its modular microservices marketplace. Is this a better ...
Marketplaces and platforms are the holy grail for every enterprise vendor. Having seen the success of the Apple App Store (and, more latterly, ...

Trump: ‘We Are Building A New Republican Party’
'A much bigger, much stronger Republican Party'

Samsung is building 256GB memory chips for smartphones
Your smartphone may soon have as much storage as a typical PC. Samsung has announced that it's mass producing 256GB embedded chips, double what ...

The 6 Biggest Mistakes to Avoid When Building a Brand
... to branding decisions, sometimes one bad mistake can derail even the best idea. Q: What are the most common mistakes we should avoid when building ...