Commercial Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X

I've recently moved the focus of my development work from
open-source/freeware to commercial/shareware applications on Mac OS X.
As such, I'm looking to compile a list of commercial Tcl/Tk apps that
are supported on this platform--to get a sense of best Tcl/Tk practices
with GUI on the Mac, and also to see what's available. By necessity,
commercial applications have to place a higher focus on GUI polish than
open-source freeware apps do, which is why I'm interested in seeing
what's out there. I focus on Mac development, so I'm including
cross-platform apps with Mac versions, but not commercial Tcl/Tk apps
that don't support the Mac.

Here's what I've found so far:

* Various apps from ActiveState (http://www.activestate.com)--the
Komodo IDE includes a GUI builder written in Tcl/Tk, while ActivePerl's
package manager is written in Perl/Tk with Tile
* BitRock Installbuilder (http://www.bitrock.com)--cross-platform
software installer
* Mark Roseman's Project Forum/CourseForum
(http://www.projectforum.com)--collaboration/wiki software
* Michael Kirkham's MIB Smithy and MIBViews
(http://www.muonics.com)--SNMP tools
* Similustics' Simile (http://www.simulistics.com)--decision-modeling tools
* Alpha Tk by Vince Darley
(http://www.santafe.edu/~vince/Alphatk.html)--powerful text editor
written in pure Tcl/Tk
* Ac3d (http://ac3d.org)--3D modeling tools

My own apps could also be added to this list, as they are all now
shareware.

What these apps have in common, apart from being written in Tcl/Tk, is
that they are very well-designed, with highly polished GUI's, and which
make a good effort to be good Mac applications--they respect Mac UI
conventions such as command-keys, getting the "about" menu in the right
place, and other small things. Most of them also use Tile, which
provides Mac-native theming; but even the ones that are pure Tk
applications fit in reasonably well.

Can anyone think of an application that I've omitted? I'd love to put up
a wiki page about this after getting some additional feedback.

Thanks,
Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Poetic Code

Hi, Kevin.  First off, let me say that one of your tutorials helped me
greatly in getting started in packaging my application on Mac OS X.
Thanks!

One of these days, I've been planning to write down (here or on the
wiki) all of the exact steps I've taken to modify the GUI, package the
code, and distribute it.  I'm talking about things like adjusting the
menubar, adding support for Mac+Q, turning comboboxes into menubuttons
(like all the native apps seems to do), adjusting fonts, using some
tile widgets and some not, packaging it, and distributing it in the
recommended Mac fashion.  I'd just be repeating what many others have
already written, but it seems like I had to gather info from several
different sources and figure a few things out for myself.  A list of
easy to follow steps might help new guys get started a lot quicker.

Here's my program:
friendadder . com

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> I've recently moved the focus of my development work from
> open-source/freeware to commercial/shareware applications on Mac OS X.
> As such, I'm looking to compile a list of commercial Tcl/Tk apps that
> are supported on this platform--to get a sense of best Tcl/Tk practices
> with GUI on the Mac, and also to see what's available. By necessity,
> commercial applications have to place a higher focus on GUI polish than
> open-source freeware apps do, which is why I'm interested in seeing
> what's out there. I focus on Mac development, so I'm including
> cross-platform apps with Mac versions, but not commercial Tcl/Tk apps
> that don't support the Mac.
>
> Here's what I've found so far:
>
> * Various apps from ActiveState (http://www.activestate.com)--the
> Komodo IDE includes a GUI builder written in Tcl/Tk, while ActivePerl's
> package manager is written in Perl/Tk with Tile
> * BitRock Installbuilder (http://www.bitrock.com)--cross-platform
> software installer
> * Mark Roseman's Project Forum/CourseForum
> (http://www.projectforum.com)--collaboration/wiki software
> * Michael Kirkham's MIB Smithy and MIBViews
> (http://www.muonics.com)--SNMP tools
> * Similustics' Simile (http://www.simulistics.com)--decision-modeling tools
> * Alpha Tk by Vince Darley
> (http://www.santafe.edu/~vince/Alphatk.html)--powerful text editor
> written in pure Tcl/Tk
> * Ac3d (http://ac3d.org)--3D modeling tools
>
> My own apps could also be added to this list, as they are all now
> shareware.
>
> What these apps have in common, apart from being written in Tcl/Tk, is
> that they are very well-designed, with highly polished GUI's, and which
> make a good effort to be good Mac applications--they respect Mac UI
> conventions such as command-keys, getting the "about" menu in the right
> place, and other small things. Most of them also use Tile, which
> provides Mac-native theming; but even the ones that are pure Tk
> applications fit in reasonably well.
>
> Can anyone think of an application that I've omitted? I'd love to put up
> a wiki page about this after getting some additional feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Walzer
> Poetic Code
> http://www.kevin-walzer.com

0
walton.paul (112)
9/18/2006 3:42:17 AM
walton.paul@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, Kevin.  First off, let me say that one of your tutorials helped me
> greatly in getting started in packaging my application on Mac OS X.
> Thanks!
>
> One of these days, I've been planning to write down (here or on the
> wiki) all of the exact steps I've taken to modify the GUI, package the
> code, and distribute it.  I'm talking about things like adjusting the
> menubar, adding support for Mac+Q, turning comboboxes into menubuttons
> (like all the native apps seems to do), adjusting fonts, using some
> tile widgets and some not, packaging it, and distributing it in the
> recommended Mac fashion.  I'd just be repeating what many others have
> already written, but it seems like I had to gather info from several
> different sources and figure a few things out for myself.  A list of
> easy to follow steps might help new guys get started a lot quicker.
>
> Here's my program:
> friendadder . com

Paul,

Looks good! I'd be very interested to see some kind of
write-up/notes/etc. if you can put them together. I like the "about"
boxes of your apps--very Cocoalike. And they are well-designed in general.

Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer
Poetic Code

ANN: aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events
I have just released aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events. This package allows Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to arbitrary Apple Events, the Mac's system-level application IPC protocol. The Apple Events mechanism allows Mac applications to script other applications using the AppleScript language--to query them for data, execute commands, and similar functions--in a manner similar to COM scripting on Windows and shell scripting on Unix. The package differs from an older Apple Events package, TclAE (htt...

Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X

tcl application with tcl application

Ann: Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages for Mac OS X
I've packaged "universal" installers of Tcl/Tk for Mac OS X (both the Aqua and X11 variants), and the Tile theming extension, for use on Mac OS X's PPC and Intel architectures. These builds are based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.13. Downloads and more information can be found at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/ Thanks. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com ...

Ruby 1.8.0 and Mac OS X and Tcl/Tk 8.4 Aqua (not!)
My trials with Ruby and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X Ruby is 1.8.0 preview 7 Tcl/Tk 8.4 is the recent TclTk-Aqua build for that native OSX Aqua look Mac OS X is 10.2.3 (1) 'configure' wasn't finding Tcl/Tk, so I hacked up an OSX-only version of ext/tcltklib/extconf.rb with hard-coded parameters (which might be OK because of the frameworks) ========= # extconf.rb for tcltklib # HACKED for Mac OS X !!! require 'mkmf' if RUBY_PLATFORM !~ /mswin32|mingw|cygwin|bccwin32/ have_library("nsl", "t_open") have_library("socket&q...

ANN:Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script
Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script (File Viewer Editor_Version Fve 5.2) http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kazuo/sasagawa/ For Tcl/Tk 8.4,8.5: TclTkAqua 8.4: Tcl/Tk-cygwin 8.4. Please use ActiveTcl 8.4.18 binary packages or "TclTkAqua 8.4.10 binary packages". *Changes(Version5.2) 1 Added a "Customizing key bingings" item to Tools_Menu. 2 Added several bindings for Mac OS X. Command-a -> Select all Command-c -> Copy Command-e -> Use Selection for Find Command-f -> Find Command-g -> Find Next Command-i -> Insert-mode or Over_write-mode Toggle switch Command-n -> New Buffer Command-s -> Save Shift-Command-s -> Save As Command-v -> Paste Command-w -> Close current buffer Command-x -> Cut Command-z -> Undo Shift-Command-z -> Redo Command-? -> Help Command-+ -> Increase Font Size Command-- -> Decrease Font Size 3 Added a "append mode" checkbutton to the bottom Menu line. When the checkbutton is ON, the selected file is appended to the end of current buffer. 4 Added a "Unpack append_mode_CheckButton"_CheckButton to View_Menu. 5 Added a "Select a Menubar background color" command to View_Menu. (UNIX,WINDOWS) 6 Added "Edit" Menu.install.txt "Undo" "Redo" -------------------- "Cut" "Copy" "Paste" "Select All" *Overview ...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Obstacles for Tcl/Tk commercial application development ?
What obstacles are there to using Tcl/Tk for commercial application development? Any folks here with experience in this area??? What things in particular made it a challenge to use Tcl/Tk to develop a commercial application? e.g. Licensing, distribution, lack of printing support, etc. Thanks! Bugs wrote: > What obstacles are there to using Tcl/Tk for commercial application > development? Any folks here with experience in this area??? > What things in particular made it a challenge to use Tcl/Tk to develop a > commercial application? > > e.g. Licensing, distribution, lack of printing support, etc. > > Thanks! Lack of a good printing is a big problem. There's simply no easy solution; Tk is still in the 80's in this regard. On Jan 22, 8:01=A0pm, Bryan Oakley <oak...@bardo.clearlight.com> wrote: > Bugs wrote: > > What obstacles are there to using Tcl/Tk for commercial application > > development? =A0Any folks here with experience in this area??? > > What things in particular made it a challenge to use Tcl/Tk to develop a= > > commercial application? > > > e.g. Licensing, distribution, lack of printing support, etc. > > > Thanks! > > Lack of a good printing is a big problem. There's simply no easy > solution; Tk is still in the 80's in this regard. Is that because of the nature of the canvas widget? Or just that nobody has focused on that area of Tk? Robert Bugs wr...

Wrapping Tcl into Mac OS X executibles?
Hi guys. Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? Cheers. Synic wrote: > Hi guys. > > Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd > like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's > TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows > and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. > > As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to > limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently > using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? > > Cheers. > I wrap mine in a starpack and then put the whole thing in an application bundle. Or you can just organize the scripts into the application bundle itself. Mac OS X 10.4 comes with Tcl/Tk installed and includes tbcload, so you can even obfuscate your code. See http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/tk-bundle-tutorial/index.html for details. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com In article <44E45991.1010107@kevin-walzer.com>, Kevin Walzer ...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the following: I made a large figure with about 50 images (EPS images generated by Mathematica, with labels) all in a nice 'tabular' array, using LaTeX and dvips. I'm too incompetent/lazy to center the image correctly, so I tell dvips to make an oversized output (30 cm by 30 cm) and then I crop it in Preview. Then, I save the image in Preview as a PDF, open the PDF in Acrobat, and export to EPS. Sometimes this works, but in this case, no. Sometimes if I open the EPS (again!) in Preview, save as PDF (again!), and convert to EPS from Adobe (again...) this makes a file that LaTeX, dvips, and Preview (or ghostview) happily process. I mention this not to impress all with my willingness to mindlessly tinker, but rather because it seems to hint that something toxic can be dropped/broken from the EPS with repeated reconversions. You've probably guessed that I should just place the large f...

How I got Tcl/Tk working with Ruby on OS X
In case anyone is having trouble with this: Download the source for Tcl 8.4.16, Tk 8.4.16, and Ruby 1.8.6. Rename the source directories to tcl, tk, and ruby. cd tcl/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd tk/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd ruby ../configure --enable-tcltk-framework --with-tcltk-framework=/Library/ Frameworks --with-tcl-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tcl.framework/Headers --with-tk-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tk.framework/Headers --enable-pthread make >& make.log sudo make install Phil <...

Anyone knows of a Tcl port to Palm Os 5.x ? ( palm-tcl no longer supported )
Hi Guys, Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Regards, Sean - HeliHobby.com According to <born2net@sbcglobal.net>: :Hi Guys, :Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? :I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Which one of these palm tcls do you mean? What: Palm Tcl Where: <URL: http://palm-tcl.sf.net/ > <URL: http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eashoknadkarni/ > Description: Port of most of Tcl 7.6 to PalmOS. Includes support for PalmOS features such as user interface elements (title bars, menus, labels, text fields, lists, buttons of various types, checkboxes, selector triggers, popup triggers, time/date selectors, tables), database support (creation, deletion, update, listing), system functions (sound, clipboard, launching apps, system event handling), etc. Currently at version 0.4 . Updated: 01/2002 Contact: <URL: mailto:palmtcl@yahoo.com > What: PalmTcl Where: <URL: http://www.patentburner.com/%7Eovercode/PalmTcl-test.tar.gz > ??? <URL: http://sf.net/projects/palmtcl/ > Description: Port of Tcl to PalmOS. Updated: 05/2001 Contact: <URL: mailto:overcode@cc.gatech.edu > (John R. Hall) What: Toucan Where: <URL: http://sf.net/projects/toucan/ > <URL: http://home.attbi.com/%7Emaccody/ > Description: Integrated development environment for developing Palm Tcl applications on the desktop. The idea is that you develop the applications on the d...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Help building a Tcl/Tk Mac-OSX universal application
I have a C99 + Tcl/Tk application that cleanly compiles and runs under both Linux and Mac-OSX(10.3 onwards). I'd like to continue distributing the application, including its source code and platform-specific Makefiles, but now to add small changes to have it build a Mac-OSX universal application. My problem, I only have a PPC Mac, and the PPC Tcl/Tk framework (and TclTkAquaBI). My general approach for building Mac-OSX universal applications, from the command-line is something like: #!/bin/sh PROG="myapplication" SDK="/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk" set -v mv $PROG.c QQ && rm -rf ${PROG}* && mv QQ $PROG.c for ARCH in ppc i386 do gcc -c -arch $ARCH -o $PROG-$ARCH.o $PROG.c gcc -isysroot $SDK -arch $ARCH -o $PROG-$ARCH $PROG-$ARCH.o done lipo -create $PROG-i386 $PROG-ppc -output $PROG and this works very well for "Apple-supplied" things, but I don't have an Intel Tcl/Tk framework. Any suggestions; anyone able to provide (a link to) one? Thanks, ______________________________________________________________________________ Dr Chris McDonald E: chris@csse.uwa.edu.au Computer Science & Software Engineering W: http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~chris The University of Western Australia, M002 T: +618 6488 2533 Crawley, Western Australia, 6009 F: +618 6488 1089 Chris McDonald wrote: > I have a C99 + Tcl/Tk application that cleanly compiles...

Web resources about - Commercial Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X - comp.lang.tcl

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Western Digital Introduces Its First Helium-Filled HDDs for Consumer Applications
... two models with 10 TB capacity. This week Western Digital unveiled the world’s first family of helium-filled HDDs designed for consumer applications, ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 27% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 4.8 percent from one week earlier, ...

Review: 5 application security testing tools compared
Users weigh in on favorite features, room for improvement.

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...