configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

Hi,
   I've tried configuring TCL by following the 'How to compile TCL'
instructions at http://www.tcl.tk/doc/howto/compile.html. Problem
occured when I type ./configure. The output at the shell is like this
:

checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables

Please advise what to do.
0
kutufutt (7)

Zack Wahab wrote:

>    I've tried configuring TCL by following the 'How to compile TCL'
> instructions at http://www.tcl.tk/doc/howto/compile.html. Problem
> occured when I type ./configure. The output at the shell is like this
> :

> checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
> checking for gcc... (cached) cc
> checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables
>
> Please advise what to do.

Since it says "cached", my guess is that you are building from
sources that aren't "clean", that they have been used to build
on another system.  Don't do that.

The best way to build is to build outside the source dirs, with
different directories for each build-type and platform.  You
just call
	/path/to/tcl/unix/configure --with-options ...
	make
alternatively you can try a 'make distclean' where you tried
before and then do 'make'.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

0
jeffh (1291)

Web resources about - configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables - comp.lang.tcl

Pusher configuration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a craft with a pusher configuration the propeller (s) are mounted behind their respective engine(s). According to Bill Gunston , a "pusher ...

Facebook Simplifies XCode Configuration, Adds App Events To IOS SDK
Facebook released a new software-development kit for iOS , version 3.6 , the social network announced in a post on its developer blog . continued… ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

MIT panel warns of challenges of hyper-networked world - management, Configuration / maintenance, IDC ...
A panel discussion held at MIT this week hailed major advances in networking technology, but warned that the challenges facing the world's information ...

New 15-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unboxed and compared to other 2015 configurations
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is here and available in a few different configurations. We’re take a closer look at the ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...