Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Feb 11)

QOTW: "Some days I hate computers. But then I end up learning more
about the dusty corners of Tcl, so I can get some benefit out of my
frustration." -- rhempel

"It seems that Tcl/Tk does 'multi-platform' write once and run
everywhere better than Java without being too slow on older
computers."    -- js

"Tcl/Tk [...] gives you the non-limiting power to succeed"
     -- Gerald Lester

POTW: Mac OS X Tcl/Tk Aqua 8.4.5  by Daniel A. Steffen.
"[T]he Mac OS X native port of the Tcl scripting language and
the Tk toolkit; bundled with fifty popular extensions."
     http://groups.google.com/groups?th=42d88e6c2f6ae471

     How to gray out an image on a disabled button:
         http://groups.google.com/groups?th=10c3ab232f31a36f

     Can we make Tcl easier to learn for newbies by including
     some kind of tutorial or introduction right in the core distro?
         http://groups.google.com/groups?th=5d2729d33513f15c

     An important comparison of a few Tcl style checkers (Nagelfar,
     Frink):
         http://groups.google.com/groups?th=a13d75781e39baf4

     How to take action automatically when the user changes a
     scale (or scrollbar, or any continuously-variable setting)
     without a flood of actions while dragging:
         http://groups.google.com/groups?th=308348f3cf8929c2

     A discussion of the pros and cons and hows and whys of
     storing -userdata for widgets:
         http://groups.google.com/groups?th=1abb2e0fa0eab955
         http://groups.google.com/groups?th=df4ba39907a379b2

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his summary of Wiki activity:
  Old pages surface again, while new pages are added: the Wiki is
  a very vivid place! So let us try and summarise the past two weeks:

  Graphics:
  - Ray tracing as a technique is shown in <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10857>

  - If you want a stripchart, a plot where the time axis is adjusted
    automatically, start at <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10851>

  - And here is a page to aid with reading so-called shape files,
    well-known from the GIS world, <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10807>

  Applications:
  - A browser for SQL queries, working with several database systems,
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10829>

  - A calculator, and programmable as well, <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10858>
    holds more than immediately meets the eye.

  - Bwise is a graphical application editor - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/8565>
    for a first impression.

  Languages and logic:
  - Experiments with reverse Polish notation are nearing a level of
    sophistication of their own: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10836>

  - Lambdas explained for those who are unfamiliar with the logical
    concept: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10782>

  - An alternative to Tk is the Fltk package, look at
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/5114>

  - Usually we write our programs to be readable and understandable,
    but sometimes we really try to achieve the opposite, for many
    reasons: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/728>

  - Anyone who has not heard of "dot net"? Well, for those who have,
    here is a very short page that will lead to a project to make C#
    call Tcl.... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10849>

  Varia:
  - Another short page, <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10825>, attracted your
    chronicler's attention because it echoed the days of another
    life ... Tclers who are involved in process control, and in this
    case "process" is an industrial process, part of manufacturing
    things.

  - Multimedia, anyone? Okay, here are a few packages and solutions,
    at random (the page needs reorganisation) - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/864>

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
    The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
        http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome

    The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
	http://www.tcl.tk

    Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher
        http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

    The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
    of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
    maintain references to their own software:
        http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
    The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
    boss Tcl is a good thing
        http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

    The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
    of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
    Tcl.
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
    For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
    interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/969

    ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
        http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
    along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
        http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

    Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest
        http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

    Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
        http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

    Google Groups archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
  http://www.ddj.com/topics/tclurl/
An alternative is
  http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<claird@phaseit.net> to subscribe.  Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

0
tcl-url (309)

In article <102jhs1eeq24t24@corp.supernews.com>,
John Seal  <tcl-url@phaseit.net> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>  - A browser for SQL queries, working with several database systems,
>    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10829>
			.
			.
			.
Oops.  My apologies for this error; the reference should
have been reported as <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/10819 >.
--

Cameron Laird <claird@phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
> Thanks to Arjen Markus for his summary of Wiki activity:
>   Old pages surface again, while new pages are added: the Wiki is

>   - Bwise is a graphical application editor - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/8565>
>     for a first impression.

No it is not...

Well, not really, it is intended to deal with block wise, connected
blocks-  programming, hence the name. http://wiki.tcl.tk/10302 contains
a list of some more example pages.

    Theo Verelst
    theover@tiscali.nl

0
theover (24)

Tcl on Dr. Dobb's
Dr. Dobb's has just posted an editorial on 25 years of Tcl: http://www.drdobbs.com/240165482 ...

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error messag...

Tcl's Future was: Re: Apache 2.0 TCL solution
davidnwelton@gmail.com wrote: [snip] > Part of the problem is that where Rails has had brilliant marketing, > Tcl's has been nothing short of disastrous, so with something like > Rails, that is good technology, hopping on the bandwagon is a pleasant > change from the "trench warfware" world of trying to defend Tcl. > > A recent example: > > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/3201127 > > Someone 'important' actually used Tcl for an important project, and I > don't even see anyone answering him in public. I doubt any...

Tcl-fuse: A Tcl interface to the Linux kernel's FUSE subsystem.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the Tcl programming language. It enables: * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring...

statically linked tcl conflict with dynamically linked tcl error
My solaris 8 computer have a dynamically linked tclsh as the default. After another statically linked tclsh is executed, the computer environment is corrupted for that shell. How to solve this problem? This is what I had done: pwdly0ee% which tclsh /opt/bsmext/bin/tclsh pwdly0ee% /opt/bsm/lib/home/bsmbin/tcma/tclsh application-specific initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: /bsmbootstrap/lib/tcl8.3 /opt/bsm/lib/home/bsmbin/lib/tcl8.3 /opt/bsm/lib/home/lib/tcl8.3 /opt/bsm/lib/home/bsmbin/library /opt/bsm/lib/home/library /opt/bsm/lib/home/tcl...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-gaul Tcl-gaul is a Tcl extension for genetic/evolutionary algorithm processing.It relies on the GAUL library: http://gaul.sourceforge.net/ * A genetic algorithm (GA) is a search technique used in computing to find exact or approximate solutions to optimization and search problems. Genetic algorithms are categorized as global search heuristics. They are a particular class of evolutionary algorithms that use techniques inspired by evolutionary biology such as inheritance, mutation, selection, and crossover. For ...

running other tcl from a tcl
Is that possible? 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl 2 - from a tcl to call other one # first.tcl content below exec hello.tcl # end regards, mauro ps.: I'm not experience in Tcl. Mauro Silva wrote: > Is that possible? > > 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: > > c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl > > 2 - from a tcl to call other one > > # first.tcl content below > > exec hello.tcl > > # end > > regards, > m...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mp Tcl-mp is a Tcl interface to POSIX Message Queues*. It provides a Tcl package that allows scripts to create/open/close/unlink multiple parallel message queues, and to send/receive messages synchronously and asynchronously to/from them. * A POSIX message queue is an Inter-Process Communication mechanism available on Linux and some other POSIX-compliant operating systems. It allows to or more processes (or threads) to communicate under the same OS. The messages are buffered by the kernel, which gives them kernel persis...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function
Hi, Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? Thanks in advance JL Jay eL wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a tclextension. http://mini.net/tcl/2391 http://mini.net/tcl/2141 Michael Michael Schlenker wrote: > > Jay eL wrote: > > Hi, > >...

Can't find a usable init.tcl ... Tcl wasn't installed correctly
I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as expected under Linux. When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: ----------------------------------------------------------- Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed correctly. ----------------------------------------------------------- I tried again after executing SET TCL_LIBRARY=C:\Tcl\Lib\tcl8.4 from the command prompt, and the Tcl_Init call succe...

Hi everyone, I have been pulling my hair with this one for a couple of days and still have not found a fix. I'm working within ANSYS Tcl-Tk implementation. I created a Tcl-Tk script that generates a simple window with three buttons. Each button opens another window which is created in a separate Tcl file. The second window have a lot of text entries, variables, procedures, etc. I can open the second Tcl file by itself and everything works as supposed, but when I open it using the button in the first window, it opens but any procedure called by the widgets on the second window are not fou...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version""...

sf.net and tcl/tk pages... where's the news?
I was just noticing that, for instance, on http://sf.net/projects/tktoolkit/ there hasn't been any news posted since 2002. I think the Tcl page was a little better - I think 3 items posted in the past 2 years. I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter" to, at the very least, post a news update each time a new release appeared, and perhaps even post updates when TIPs make it into the core? The public perception of Tcl is debated often here, but it seems like, with a little bit of effort, re...

tcl application with tcl application

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to...

Tcl/Tk's component can auto resize while adjust the main frame's size?
In Tcl/Tk if I adjust the main frame's size, the component in the main frame can auto resize by the main frame? such as used Layout Manager in Java? I had try the packer manager and grid manager , but It only control the componment's position in the frame but can't control it size. Who can tell me ? Macro wrote: > In Tcl/Tk if I adjust the main frame's size, > the component in the main frame can auto resize by the main frame? > such as used Layout Manager in Java? > I had try the packer manager and grid manager , > but It only control the componment's posit...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

Web resources about - Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Feb 11) - comp.lang.tcl