Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Feb 8)

QOTW:  "TCL = The Comfortable Language" -- John Seal
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/4a4e224b072818f1/

"[pkg_mkIndex] is trying to solve a problem that in its full generality is
very, very difficult." -- Don Porter

POTW:  "regexpviewer is a small app for regular expression experimentation."
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/regexpviewer/

    The planetary expert on use of [pkg_mkIndex] (again) advises:
    don't use [pkg_mkIndex] (mostly).
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/27de4daffe40ed8d/

    tclguy explains that the plugin can't source Starkits, and what
    it would take to change that reality.
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/3f100dd4b0e24c19/

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his report from the Wiki(s):
  Already the second month of what was a fresh new year! Let us not waste
  any time and instead go on with the summary ...

  Toys
  - Though we all know we should not play with fireworks, here is a
    relatively safe version - in Tcl - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13469>
    (in case you missed the one on comp.lang.tcl :))

  - If only for the alliteration, RS's RSS script is worth looking
    at - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13490>

  Tools
  - Those UNICODE characters sure know how to attract attention:
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13470> - Yet Another Unicode Tool

  - Beyond HTTP there is Webdav and to get there, you can now use
    a genuine starkit - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13480>

  Tantalisers
  - Never say something is impossible in Tcl, unless you want to
    be proved wrong. Big numbers are such a subject: bring it
    up and watch the reactions ... <http:/wiki.tcl.tk/13471> is
    just the first page.

  - Though this be distant, yet there is Tcl in't, to paraphrase
    a well-known author ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13456> shows
    the way to Mars

  - Need a comparison between the Tcl, Perl and PHP way of doing
    things? <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10710> is there for you!

  - The French Wiki contains several experiments with XOTcl -
    have a look if you dare - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/773>

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
    The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
        http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome

    The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
	http://www.tcl.tk

    Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
        http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

    The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
    of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
    maintain references to their own software:
        http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
    The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
    boss Tcl is a good thing
        http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

    The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
    of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
    Tcl.
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
    For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
    interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/969

    ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
        http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
    along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
        http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

    deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
        http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

    Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest
        http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

    Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
        http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

    "Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
  http://www.ddj.com/topics/tclurl/
An alternative is
  http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<claird@phaseit.net> to subscribe.  Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:08:03 GMT, Cameron Laird <tcl-url@phaseit.net>
wrote:

>  - The French Wiki contains several experiments with XOTcl -
>    have a look if you dare - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/773>
This should probably be <http://wfr.tcl.tk/773>
0
hgiese (1076)

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error message would .. occur if the respective DLL was not found. It appears that .. the Vim maintainer last checked building against 8.4] .. .. The Tcl interface works for a simple ":tcl puts Hello" but .. when I tried anything more I get the error: .. .. wrong # args: should be "catch command ?varName?" .. .. This is because Vim creates a replacement "catch" command .. (I've attached the relevant code below. As the comments .. state, Vim needs to prevent exit() being called by Tcl. Tcl .. 8.5 has introduced a new "catch" command that takes an .. additional argument, and somewhere -- either the Tcl .. library or tcl85.dll -- uses catch with four arguments. I .. don't have 8.5's source but I see that auto.tcl, clock.tcl, .. init.tcl, (I stopped looking) all use the four-argument catch. .. .. So here's my question: what's the best way this...

Tcl on Dr. Dobb's
Dr. Dobb's has just posted an editorial on 25 years of Tcl: http://www.drdobbs.com/240165482 ...

Tcl-fuse: A Tcl interface to the Linux kernel's FUSE subsystem.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the Tcl programming language. It enables: * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring organization. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fuse/ Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis Alexandros Stergiakis wrote: > This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse > > Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the > underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the > Tcl programming language. > > It enables: > * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in > it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. > * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. > > Dependencies: > * Tcl 8.5 or greater. > * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. > > Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring > organization. > >...

Tcl's Future was: Re: Apache 2.0 TCL solution
davidnwelton@gmail.com wrote: [snip] > Part of the problem is that where Rails has had brilliant marketing, > Tcl's has been nothing short of disastrous, so with something like > Rails, that is good technology, hopping on the bandwagon is a pleasant > change from the "trench warfware" world of trying to defend Tcl. > > A recent example: > > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/3201127 > > Someone 'important' actually used Tcl for an important project, and I > don't even see anyone answering him in public. I doubt anyone will answer. There isn't a clear leader for Tcl, or even much direction or push for releases by all of the core team. I'm also having serious doubts about some things. 8.5 is over 4 years old and it's still alpha. If there's any clear person pushing for releases it's DGP, but one man is not an army or a "core team." Just today I tracked down a bug in Tcl's Unicode big-endian code path that has had an alignment bug for years! This is a bug that causes a bus error on PA-RISC and probably other big-endian systems that use the big-endian Unicode conversion paths. It just got reported today. I'm lead to believe a lot of things don't get tested, engineered, and reviewed properly. We are human after all, but I think we can do better, regardless of what some may say. I once proposed that we need a code review mailing list, so that...

Binary reader speed comparison
I have a fairly simple binary reader proc that exhibits massive speed differences between Tcl 8.5.8 and Tcl8.6b1.1. Here's the proc: proc readFormatted {filename} { set fd [ open $filename r ] fconfigure $fd -encoding binary -translation binary binary scan [ read $fd 2 ] cc type nextlen if {$type != 75} { return -error "File is not in the expected format" } while {![append buffer [read $fd $nextlen] ; eof $fd]} { binary scan [read $fd 2] cc lastlen nextlen # convert to unsigned value set nextlen ...

Install tcl 8.4 error, Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories
I build tcl 8.4.10 on Solaris 8, compile ok, but get error when running "make test" I run: configure --prefix=/users/xucai --exec-prefix=/users/xucai --enable-shared --enable-gcc //ok make //ok make test // this step failed. and get following error: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH; \ TCL_LIBRARY="/users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/library"; export TCL_LIBRARY; \ ../tcltest ./../tests/all.tcl application-specific initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: /users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/library /users/xucai/lib/tcl8.4 /users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/library /users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/tcl8.4 /users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/lib/tcl8.4 /users/xucai/src/lib/tcl8.4 /users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/library /users/xucai/src/library /users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/library /users/xucai/tcl8.4.10/library /users/xucai/lib/tcl8.4 /users/xucai/src/tcl8.4.10/library/init.tcl: can't read "::auto_path": no such variable can't read "::auto_path": no such variable while executing "lsearch -exact $::auto_path $Dir" what does it mean ? who can help ? thx. Jeff.c wrote: > I build tcl 8.4.10 on Solaris 8, compile ok, but get error when running... Q) Why are you choosing to build from source, when ActiveState offers pre-built ActiveTcl binaries for Solaris as a free download? <URL: http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/ > Q) If you insist on...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by accident? -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote in message news:<409EEDB5.40905@activestate.com>... > Chengye Mao wrote: > > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. > > Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the > fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by > accident? Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a missing space between tclpip.dll and...

TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?
It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are problem as well. :( I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL intrepeter in each one. The interps are isolated and do not communicate or share anything withe each other. Each thread is a rule processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize... Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem... But with TCL 8.3 and TCL 8.4 we get quite a few run time errors and/or data corruption and core dumps that all leads back to TCL. :( Quite a shame! cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: > It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this > problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are > problem as well. :( What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble? -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote: > cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: >> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this >> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

What's wrong with "fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8" on windows in Tcl 8.5.10
With my built 8.5.10 I tried to issue command "fconfigure stdout - encoding utf-8" to tclsh on WinXP, the tcl prompt then was shown as two dots instead of percentage sign, C:\>tclsh85t.exe % fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8 =E2=80=A5date The current date is: 11/29/2011 Tue Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) time The system cannot accept the date entered. Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) =E2=80=A5 =E2=80=A5 So wonder what's wrong with fconfigure on stdout? Is that the issue? On Nov 29, 7:46=C2=A0am, "wrena...@gmail.com" <wrena...@gmail.com> wrote: > With my built 8.5.10 I tried to issue command "fconfigure stdout - > encoding utf-8" to tclsh on WinXP, the tcl prompt then was shown as > two dots instead of percentage sign, > > C:\>tclsh85t.exe > % fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8 > =E2=80=A5date > The current date is: 11/29/2011 Tue > Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) time > The system cannot accept the date entered. > Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) > =E2=80=A5 > =E2=80=A5 > > So wonder what's wrong with fconfigure on stdout? Is that the issue? Short answer: Yes. Longer answer: The encoding in Windows is not UTF-8 but one of cp.... flavors. Question: what did you expect that to do? Mark On 29/11/2011 06:59, Mark Janssen wrote: > Short answer: Yes. > Longer answer: The encoding in Windows is not UTF-8 but one of cp.... > flavors. Also, the code that writes to the (genuine) ...

'lrange' differences in tcl 8.4 and 8.6
Hi, lrange works differently in tcl versions 8.4 and 8.6, if the output has only #. % info patch 8.4.13 % % set test {a "#"} a "#" % set testme [lrange $test 1 end] # % info patch 8.6.1 % set test2 {a "#"} a "#" % set testme [lrange $test2 1 end] {#} Is this an intentional change ? Most of our regression scripts are failing after upgrade to 8.6.1, as the regular expressions don't match, as lrange was earlier returning #, but after upgrade {#} Regards, Lucky Lucky Y <ylucki@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, >...

tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function
Hi, Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? Thanks in advance JL Jay eL wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a tclextension. http://mini.net/tcl/2391 http://mini.net/tcl/2141 Michael Michael Schlenker wrote: > > Jay eL wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? > If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > > > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? > If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a > tclextension. > http://mini.net/tcl/2391 > http://mini.net/tcl/2141 > > Michael Yes, you can use the binary format command to manipulate the data at the byte or even bit level. The binary scan goes the other way around. If you have specific questions, please post them: a lot of us will be able to help you out. Regards, Arjen ...

Tcl SOAP
OK - Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the following quesitons come to mind: Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? Anyone using it to provide Web Services? I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache (1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! Dave In article <e45f1db4.0405281105.8d1b86e@posting.google.com>, Dave Bigelow <davidhbigelow@simplifiedlogic.com> wrote: >OK - > >Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! > >The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the >following quesitons come to mind: > >Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? >Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? >Anyone using it to provide Web Services? > >I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this >is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache >(1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). > >Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! > >Dave Short answer: yes. What does "immediately" mean to you? What platforms interest you? I'm working with t...

Can't find a usable init.tcl ... Tcl wasn't installed correctly
I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as expected under Linux. When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: ----------------------------------------------------------- Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed correctly. ----------------------------------------------------------- I tried again after executing SET TCL_LIBRARY=C:\Tcl\Lib\tcl8.4 from the command prompt, and the Tcl_Init call succeeded. Have I actually installed Tcl incorrectly? I just accepted all the default settings rather dumbly during installation. Will I have to set TCL_LIBRARY like this each time I want to run such a program? In article <0d_Of.1893$kg.1014@news02.roc.ny>, Patrick wrote: > I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as > expected under Linux. > > When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, > initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: > > ----------------------------------------------------------- > Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: What was here? Was there a long list of directories that you trimmed away when posting? If not something is very very weird. If so, then you trimmed exactly the part that might allow me to help you. > This probably m...

Q: auto_path extension by tcllib's/tklib's pkgIndex.tcl
Hi, I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first commands in that pkgIndex.tcl file is to add this directory to the auto_path variable - and that looks completely superfluous to me, at least with default installation paths: 1. the installation directory with that pkgIndex.tcl file does not include any tclIndex file, so tcl_unknown cannot benefit from extending auto_path with that installation directory. 2. when this pkgIndex.tcl gets sourced (by tclPkgUnknown, the first time a "package require <Pkg>" command for an unknown package is given), obviously auto_path already leads to this installation directory, so adding it explicitly doesn't bring anything new. I.e. if tcllib/tklib are found, all subpackages contained therein will also be found (as each of them has its own pkgIndex.tcl at a lower level subdirectory). I know that adding (innocent) directories to auto_path doesn't harm - except maybe in terms of performance. But if one wants to keep auto_path as lean and clean as possible, these additions should be removed - or am I missing something? Thanks, Erik Allaert European Southern Observatory, Munich Erik Allaert wrote: > Hi, > > I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a > pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first > commands in that pkgIn...

Tcl 8.6 unexpected 'file exists'
I have a proc which takes a full path argument for a file. (one of the items returned from a glob) roughly: proc handlefile {path} { #puts stdout [file normalize $path] set fsize [file size $path] #...etc } Strangely... a particular file has problems with the above. The 'file size' call returns: could not read "/usr/local/xxx/www/yyy/Newsletter/050609/~ $sueme220509.htm" no such file or directory The 'file normalize' output is "/usr/local/virtual1/hosting/base/yy/ yyy/yyy/www/Newsletter/050609/~$sueme220509.htm" Both these paths are valid, and equivalent due to some soft symlinking - and both work just fine in an interactive tclsh with 'file size' returning a size and 'file exists' returning 1. The heisenbuggish thing is - that the mere act of using puts to display the normalized path (without actually using the normalized value anywhere); causes the problem to disappear. i.e uncommenting the 2nd line in the proc above causes file size to work as expected. I'm assuming this is a bug - but at this stage I don't know if the ~ or $ characters are relevant or if it just happened to occur on this strangely named file for some other reason. This problem occurs on FreeBSD with a Tcl 8.5.b1 checked out in january - and also with 8.6b1.1 from 2009-06-14 The bug doesn't occur when I use an 8.5a4 tclkit I'll report a bug for it if it turns out to be a new one - but I just thought I'd throw ...

sf.net and tcl/tk pages... where's the news?
I was just noticing that, for instance, on http://sf.net/projects/tktoolkit/ there hasn't been any news posted since 2002. I think the Tcl page was a little better - I think 3 items posted in the past 2 years. I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter" to, at the very least, post a news update each time a new release appeared, and perhaps even post updates when TIPs make it into the core? The public perception of Tcl is debated often here, but it seems like, with a little bit of effort, release notes for updates could go onto the site, and perhaps someone might update http://www.tcl.tk/'s front page with info about other tcl related software releases. -- <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > Indescribable,uncontainable,all powerful,untameable Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL: mailto:lvirden@gmail.com > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ > lvirden@gmail.com wrote: > I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl > reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter"... It seems to me that the Tcl world has a weekly newsletter in the form of the Tcl_URL! -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | ht...

Web resources about - Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Feb 8) - comp.lang.tcl