Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Jan 5) #2

QOTW:  "For me stubs is simply a brilliant feature of tcl." -- Georgios Petasis

"Sufficient for the day are the regexp-related evils thereof. :o)" -- David
McClamrock

POTW:  You didn't realize that the Homebrew Competition Coordination
Program is Tcl-powered (in just under 10,000 lines of source)?
    http://www.folsoms.net/hccp/

    Tktable scrolling remains an issue.  Must it be by column only?
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5ee4ef36980f7c93/da9444d65dd7a653

    Melissa Schrumpf shows how simple automation of miscellaneous
    devices is when an expert has Tcl in her hands.
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/766404abca996fdc

    Redrawing Tk-based remote WinXP terminal displays can be broken
    ... but 8.4.9 corrects the symptom!
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/bf2b98cc3ad5db8c/20fa522c9a684ea6

    How can one *not* interpret RE escapes?
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5a1b07d45c460fad/6276a2f0f0f27096

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his report from the Wiki(s):
  Your Wiki chronicler notes that a lot of new pages have been
  added - either in the last days of last year or the first days
  of this new one (for which he wishes you all the best, BTW).

  And as usual, they cover a wide range of topics ...

  Games under analysis:
  - Learn how to analyse (some aspects of) a game: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/12642>
    provides a short tutorial

  - Here is a collection of pointers to a game "in statu nascendi":
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13248>

  - Perhaps not a game as such, but it is a playful program:
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13257> is a little drawing app.

  - Many games use one or two dice. Analysing the outcome is not too
    difficult, but it may surprise you ... Oh, and not all dice are cubes!
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13243>

  Be serious now:
  - A multiline entry widget - that is, you just use a variable, like
    with the ordinary entry widget - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13261>

  - Rotating and scaling photos? Maybe the link in this page will give
    you what you want - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/12545>

  - XML and databases and HTTP and Tcl: page <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13247>
    glues them together, sleepily ...

  - Here is a non-alcoholic twist - to regular expressions this time!
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13245> adds a wee bit of flexibility

  Random thoughts
  - Marketing a good product like Tcl is not easy. Or do we need a single
    PR person? - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13216>

  - Should the environment that Tcl procedures are executed in be exposed?
    Profound thoughts at <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13229>

  - Yet another hidden aspect revealed: your floating point number is
    just a pattern of ones and zeros - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13206>

  Fun things with graphics
  - Those round clocks with dials and hands - boring, aren't they?
    Try instead: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13226> and <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13222>

  - Another boring thing: rectangular pushbuttons. Make way for hexagonal,
    octogonal or even star-figured buttons! <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13220>

  - And while we are at it, a little equalizer, indispensable part of
    any audio equipment - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13224>

  Make things work
  - The upcoming modules (TIP #189) made easy: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13195>

  - Do not go through the pain of building binary packages yourself if
    you can just get them via the Wiki ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13194>

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
    The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
        http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome

    The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
	http://www.tcl.tk

    Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
        http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

    The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
    of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
    maintain references to their own software:
        http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
    The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
    boss Tcl is a good thing
        http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

    The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
    of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
    Tcl.
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
    For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
    interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/969

    ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
        http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
    along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
        http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

    deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
        http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

    Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest
        http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

    Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
        http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

    "Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
  http://www.ddj.com/topics/tclurl/
An alternative is
  http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<claird@phaseit.net> to subscribe.  Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

sheila miguez wrote:
 > QOTW:  "For me stubs is simply a brilliant feature of tcl." --
Georgios Petasis

Some days I think I'm pretty handy with Tcl and others I realise how
little I know.

I know stubs is something I need to specify in my project settings when
using the Tcl / C interface but thats about it.

Glenn
0
glennh6365 (34)
1/6/2005 11:35:27 PM
glennh wrote:
> Some days I think I'm pretty handy with Tcl and others I realise how
> little I know.
>
> I know stubs is something I need to specify in my project settings
when
> using the Tcl / C interface but thats about it.

It's an advanced linking system that enables extensions to link to the
core without being bound to a specific version of the core in a
specific location. It's a key technology in that it has freed extension
authors and users from the version-tracking treadmill, and it is one of
the set of things that enables tclkit system too. Stubs is a key
component in Tcl/Tk's long-term commitment to binary compatability.

Now we've done the marketing blurb, what stubs actually is is a way of
doing backlinking that is under the control of the developer of the
stubbed library. The clients of the library link to a "stub" library
instead (hence the name) and that sorts out how to link to the real
library and splices in the function references. The stubs mechanism
also includes developer tools to allow for easy maintenance of
substantial stub tables, and the Tcl/Tk core public stub tables are
carefully managed in such a way that almost all code linked against one
version of the library will be compatible with future versions of the
core as well (at least up until the next major version number.) This
means that there is much code compiled against Tcl 8.1 which should be
*binary* compatible with 8.5a2, five years later and with a potentially
revised API as well. Combine that with our strong history of source
compatability, and you've got a lot of goodness for people who hate
lock-step upgrading.

There are other advanced features of the sorts of linking that stubs
enables, but they're starting to get esoteric and many peoples' code
doesn't need that sort of thing.

Donal.

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error message would .. occur if the respective DLL was not found. It appears that .. the Vim maintainer last checked building against 8.4] .. .. The Tcl interface works for a simple ":tcl puts Hello" but .. when I tried anything more I get the error: .. .. wrong # args: should be "catch command ?varName?" .. .. This is because Vim creates a replacement "catch" command .. (I've attached the relevant code below. As the comments .. state, Vim needs to prevent exit() being called by Tcl. Tcl .. 8.5 has introduced a new "catch" command that takes an .. additional argument, and somewhere -- either the Tcl .. library or tcl85.dll -- uses catch with four arguments. I .. don't have 8.5's source but I see that auto.tcl, clock.tcl, .. init.tcl, (I stopped looking) all use the four-argument catch. .. .. So here's my question: what's the best way this...

Tcl's Future was: Re: Apache 2.0 TCL solution
davidnwelton@gmail.com wrote: [snip] > Part of the problem is that where Rails has had brilliant marketing, > Tcl's has been nothing short of disastrous, so with something like > Rails, that is good technology, hopping on the bandwagon is a pleasant > change from the "trench warfware" world of trying to defend Tcl. > > A recent example: > > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/3201127 > > Someone 'important' actually used Tcl for an important project, and I > don't even see anyone answering him in public. I doubt anyone will answer. There isn't a clear leader for Tcl, or even much direction or push for releases by all of the core team. I'm also having serious doubts about some things. 8.5 is over 4 years old and it's still alpha. If there's any clear person pushing for releases it's DGP, but one man is not an army or a "core team." Just today I tracked down a bug in Tcl's Unicode big-endian code path that has had an alignment bug for years! This is a bug that causes a bus error on PA-RISC and probably other big-endian systems that use the big-endian Unicode conversion paths. It just got reported today. I'm lead to believe a lot of things don't get tested, engineered, and reviewed properly. We are human after all, but I think we can do better, regardless of what some may say. I once proposed that we need a code review mailing list, so that...

FVWM: Tcl's 'Iconwindow' not working with fvwm-2.5.18-1
I posted this to the "FVWM Users" <fvwm@fvwm.org>, but no one on that list seems to know what is wrong. I use several Tcl/Tk programs (exmh, plus some homegrown ones) that use Tcl's 'iconwindow' function to create dynamic window manager icons. I also use FVWM's IconBox module. For some reason, those applications that use Tcl's 'iconwindow' function, don't get their proper icons in the IconBox. Instead they get the 'default' generic icon. This *used* to work just fine back when I was using fvwm-2.4.<mumble>. What has changed? Do I need to add something to my .fvwmrc file? I did some poking around in the FVWM 2.5.18 source code for the FvwmIconBox module (and not finding anything obvious), I'm still looking for a solution. I've created a minimual test case (binary for Linux x86 (using tclkit-linux-x86) and Tcl/Tk source code): http://www.deepsoft.com/minimualiconwindow-0.0-linux.tar.gz http://www.deepsoft.com/minimualiconwindow-0.0.tar.gz If anyone who knows the inner workings of the FvwmIconBox module AND knows about Tcl/Tk iconwindow functionallity can figure out what is going on, it would be helpful... (I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 -- the stock RPMs under CentOS 4.4. It also fails using a tclkit-linux-x86 based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.) -- Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 Deepwoods Software -- Linux Installation and Administration http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Web Hosting, with CGI an...

Tcl on Dr. Dobb's
Dr. Dobb's has just posted an editorial on 25 years of Tcl: http://www.drdobbs.com/240165482 ...

A Busy Developer's Guide to Tcl/Tk 8.5 #2
I've updated my overview of what developers should know about 8.5 to bring it up to date with this week's 8.5.0 release. http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html Hope this is helpful - comments and suggestions appreciated. Mark Mark Roseman wrote: > I've updated my overview of what developers should know about 8.5 to > bring it up to date with this week's 8.5.0 release. > > http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html > > Hope this is helpful - comments and suggestions appreciated. You missed [wm manage], which is great for going that extra mile with toolbars. Donal. Donal K. Fellows wrote: > You missed [wm manage], which is great for going that extra mile with > toolbars. I hadn't spotted it either - I've just tried it out. It's a fantastic facility! I'm trying to spot the differences between a toplevel and a frame: (1) A toplevel is created in the mapped and wm manage'd state; A frame is created unmapped and in the wm forget'd state (2) By default a toplevel has class Toplevel, unless it is the main window "." when it has an application-specific class; By default a frame has class Frame. (3) A toplevel has additional subcommands -menu, -screen, -use Are there any other differences? Bindtags seem to be handled in the same way for both toplevels and frames, in particular the bindtag that refers to "this window's toplevel" is updated when wm manage/forget and...

Tcl-fuse: A Tcl interface to the Linux kernel's FUSE subsystem.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the Tcl programming language. It enables: * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring organization. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fuse/ Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis Alexandros Stergiakis wrote: > This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse > > Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the > underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the > Tcl programming language. > > It enables: > * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in > it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. > * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. > > Dependencies: > * Tcl 8.5 or greater. > * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. > > Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring > organization. > >...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script? #2
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? You're probably looking for the "source" command. Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The command "load" is for binary shared libraries. -- Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best." Thanks Darren. But what my need is that I am writing a tcl script which is going to take any tcl script as input and should return the output of the file. How can I do that? Regards, Prabu Darren New wrote: > prabu wrote: > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > You're probably looking for the "source" command. > > Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The > command "load" is for binary shared libraries. > > -- > Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) > Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, > and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best." On 17 Dec 2006 21:16:16 -0800, "prabu" <catchme.prabu@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks Dar...

Segmentation fault returning value in Thread for Tcl 8.3.5/Thread 2.5 (2.1.5)
I wrote a simple "exec" function that runs the specified program in another thread, splits out the stdout and stderr output and returns asynchronously. (I attached the script and traceback from the core dump at the end of this message.) I started off using Tcl 8.3.5/Thread 2.5 (2.1.5). It seems that if the script running in the other thread returns a value using "return $result", I get a core dump. But, if I return the value using "set result", it doesn't core dump. If I use Tcl 8.4.5/Thread 2.5.2, the script throws an error condition if I use "return $result", but not if I use "set result". It should not be throwing an error condition. (It doesn't matter whether the print.tcl prints to stderr, it happens when only stdout is printed as well.) Since Tcl and the Thread package is mature, I have a feeling I am doing something fundamentally wrong, but it is not rearing it's ugly head yet. Does anybody see the error or know if there is a Tcl or Thread bug related to this problem? Thanks, Rob test.tcl #!/bin/csh -f # comment out next line \ exec tclsh8.3 $0 $argv:q #exec tclsh8.4 $0 $argv:q package require Thread namespace eval DE { proc threadError { threadid errorInfo } { global DE::threadError set threadError 1 return $threadError } proc texec { args } { global DE::thread DE::threadError errorInfo errorCode ...

tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function
Hi, Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? Thanks in advance JL Jay eL wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a tclextension. http://mini.net/tcl/2391 http://mini.net/tcl/2141 Michael Michael Schlenker wrote: > > Jay eL wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? > If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > > > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? > If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a > tclextension. > http://mini.net/tcl/2391 > http://mini.net/tcl/2141 > > Michael Yes, you can use the binary format command to manipulate the data at the byte or even bit level. The binary scan goes the other way around. If you have specific questions, please post them: a lot of us will be able to help you out. Regards, Arjen ...

Can't find a usable init.tcl ... Tcl wasn't installed correctly
I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as expected under Linux. When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: ----------------------------------------------------------- Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed correctly. ----------------------------------------------------------- I tried again after executing SET TCL_LIBRARY=C:\Tcl\Lib\tcl8.4 from the command prompt, and the Tcl_Init call succeeded. Have I actually installed Tcl incorrectly? I just accepted all the default settings rather dumbly during installation. Will I have to set TCL_LIBRARY like this each time I want to run such a program? In article <0d_Of.1893$kg.1014@news02.roc.ny>, Patrick wrote: > I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as > expected under Linux. > > When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, > initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: > > ----------------------------------------------------------- > Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: What was here? Was there a long list of directories that you trimmed away when posting? If not something is very very weird. If so, then you trimmed exactly the part that might allow me to help you. > This probably m...

Q: auto_path extension by tcllib's/tklib's pkgIndex.tcl
Hi, I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first commands in that pkgIndex.tcl file is to add this directory to the auto_path variable - and that looks completely superfluous to me, at least with default installation paths: 1. the installation directory with that pkgIndex.tcl file does not include any tclIndex file, so tcl_unknown cannot benefit from extending auto_path with that installation directory. 2. when this pkgIndex.tcl gets sourced (by tclPkgUnknown, the first time a "package require <Pkg>" command for an unknown package is given), obviously auto_path already leads to this installation directory, so adding it explicitly doesn't bring anything new. I.e. if tcllib/tklib are found, all subpackages contained therein will also be found (as each of them has its own pkgIndex.tcl at a lower level subdirectory). I know that adding (innocent) directories to auto_path doesn't harm - except maybe in terms of performance. But if one wants to keep auto_path as lean and clean as possible, these additions should be removed - or am I missing something? Thanks, Erik Allaert European Southern Observatory, Munich Erik Allaert wrote: > Hi, > > I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a > pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first > commands in that pkgIn...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

sf.net and tcl/tk pages... where's the news?
I was just noticing that, for instance, on http://sf.net/projects/tktoolkit/ there hasn't been any news posted since 2002. I think the Tcl page was a little better - I think 3 items posted in the past 2 years. I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter" to, at the very least, post a news update each time a new release appeared, and perhaps even post updates when TIPs make it into the core? The public perception of Tcl is debated often here, but it seems like, with a little bit of effort, release notes for updates could go onto the site, and perhaps someone might update http://www.tcl.tk/'s front page with info about other tcl related software releases. -- <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > Indescribable,uncontainable,all powerful,untameable Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL: mailto:lvirden@gmail.com > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ > lvirden@gmail.com wrote: > I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl > reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter"... It seems to me that the Tcl world has a weekly newsletter in the form of the Tcl_URL! -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | ht...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

tcl application with tcl application

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.5 rpms with thread 2.5.2 extension
They can be found at: http://jfontain.free.fr/tcl-8.4.5-1.i386.rpm http://jfontain.free.fr/tk-8.4.5-1.i386.rpm http://jfontain.free.fr/tk-8.4.5-1.spec They were generated on an up-to-date Redhat 9 i386 system. They install under /opt/tcltk and therefore does not conflict and peacefully coexists with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To rebuild them, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.5-1.spec Note: you may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. -- Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@free.fr http://jfontain.free.fr/ ...

Web resources about - Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Jan 5) #2 - comp.lang.tcl