Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Sep 5)

QOTW:  "[E]mbedding via Tcl is The Right Way(r)." -- Jeffrey Hobbs

"Keeping histories is a great anti-vandal device." -- Donal K. Fellows

POTW:  Tcl only needs a little bit of hardware to run well on, for example,
the Slug:
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/14649

    Once upon a time, rsh and exec and allied tools were the best
    tools administrators had for common tasks.  Donal Fellows
    describes more succinct and secure ssh-based approaches now
    available.
        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/402c3545b1518c1e/

    Part of the work of a healthy Usenet newsgroup is to cauterize
    the silly gossip and misconceptions that inevitably arise.  One
    local example is the proposition that upvar and event-orientation
    are in conflict.
        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/74f381732437870e/

    The programming interface of the Tree widget is event- rather than
    state-oriented.
        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a0fa01c65952008f/

    "Sticky news"?  "sticky -nsew"?  Arcane stylistic decisions become
    meaningful once the basics--like useful widget resizing-- are in
    place.
        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a62593d29f9aad39/

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his summary of Wiki activity:
  A fruitful week on the Wiki, if the number of new pages can be
  taken as a useful indicator ... so let us summarize!

  GUI-stuff
  - The French Wiki adds yet another GUI builder to the already
    appreciable list, this one is called "cells" -
    <http://wfr.tcl.tk/990>

  - Tired of typing words in full? Try this short-hand
    tool - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14656>

  - You all know "minesweeper", right? That funny little
    game? Well, watch out: here is a 3D version!
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14676>

  Alternatives
  - Make programming simple? There's a thought! And
    an environment ... and a Tcl connection -
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14679>

  - wxWindows is another one of the platform-independent
    window systems ... Usuable via Tcl? See for yourself:
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/2767>

  A bit of everything
  - Learn how Critcl can help improve performance ...
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14654> is one example

  - Store text in a picture? Why not make it a picture!
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14678>

  - A (Wiki) book in the making ... Tclers, unite!
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14681>

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
    The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
        http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome
    comp.lang.tcl is a crucial resource for Tcl practitioners.
    An interesting perspective on its traffic appears at
        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/about

    The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
	http://www.tcl.tk

    Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
        http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

    The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
    of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
    maintain references to their own software:
        http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
    The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
    boss Tcl is a good thing
        http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

    The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
    of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
    Tcl.
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
    For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
    interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/969

    ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
        http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
    along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
        http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

    deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
        http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

    Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest
        http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

    Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
        http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

    "Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
  http://www.ddj.com/topics/tclurl/
An alternative is
  http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<claird@phaseit.net> to subscribe.  Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error message would .. occur if the respective DLL was not found. It appears that .. the Vim maintainer last checked building against 8.4] .. .. The Tcl interface works for a simple ":tcl puts Hello" but .. when I tried anything more I get the error: .. .. wrong # args: should be "catch command ?varName?" .. .. This is because Vim creates a replacement "catch" command .. (I've attached the relevant code below. As the comments .. state, Vim needs to prevent exit() being called by Tcl. Tcl .. 8.5 has introduced a new "catch" command that takes an .. additional argument, and somewhere -- either the Tcl .. library or tcl85.dll -- uses catch with four arguments. I .. don't have 8.5's source but I see that auto.tcl, clock.tcl, .. init.tcl, (I stopped looking) all use the four-argument catch. .. .. So here's my question: what's the best way this...

Tcl on Dr. Dobb's
Dr. Dobb's has just posted an editorial on 25 years of Tcl: http://www.drdobbs.com/240165482 ...

Tcl's Future was: Re: Apache 2.0 TCL solution
davidnwelton@gmail.com wrote: [snip] > Part of the problem is that where Rails has had brilliant marketing, > Tcl's has been nothing short of disastrous, so with something like > Rails, that is good technology, hopping on the bandwagon is a pleasant > change from the "trench warfware" world of trying to defend Tcl. > > A recent example: > > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/3201127 > > Someone 'important' actually used Tcl for an important project, and I > don't even see anyone answering him in public. I doubt anyone will answer. There isn't a clear leader for Tcl, or even much direction or push for releases by all of the core team. I'm also having serious doubts about some things. 8.5 is over 4 years old and it's still alpha. If there's any clear person pushing for releases it's DGP, but one man is not an army or a "core team." Just today I tracked down a bug in Tcl's Unicode big-endian code path that has had an alignment bug for years! This is a bug that causes a bus error on PA-RISC and probably other big-endian systems that use the big-endian Unicode conversion paths. It just got reported today. I'm lead to believe a lot of things don't get tested, engineered, and reviewed properly. We are human after all, but I think we can do better, regardless of what some may say. I once proposed that we need a code review mailing list, so that...

Tcl-fuse: A Tcl interface to the Linux kernel's FUSE subsystem.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the Tcl programming language. It enables: * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring organization. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fuse/ Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis Alexandros Stergiakis wrote: > This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse > > Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the > underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the > Tcl programming language. > > It enables: > * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in > it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. > * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. > > Dependencies: > * Tcl 8.5 or greater. > * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. > > Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring > organization. > >...

FVWM: Tcl's 'Iconwindow' not working with fvwm-2.5.18-1
I posted this to the "FVWM Users" <fvwm@fvwm.org>, but no one on that list seems to know what is wrong. I use several Tcl/Tk programs (exmh, plus some homegrown ones) that use Tcl's 'iconwindow' function to create dynamic window manager icons. I also use FVWM's IconBox module. For some reason, those applications that use Tcl's 'iconwindow' function, don't get their proper icons in the IconBox. Instead they get the 'default' generic icon. This *used* to work just fine back when I was using fvwm-2.4.<mumble>. What has changed? Do I need to add something to my .fvwmrc file? I did some poking around in the FVWM 2.5.18 source code for the FvwmIconBox module (and not finding anything obvious), I'm still looking for a solution. I've created a minimual test case (binary for Linux x86 (using tclkit-linux-x86) and Tcl/Tk source code): http://www.deepsoft.com/minimualiconwindow-0.0-linux.tar.gz http://www.deepsoft.com/minimualiconwindow-0.0.tar.gz If anyone who knows the inner workings of the FvwmIconBox module AND knows about Tcl/Tk iconwindow functionallity can figure out what is going on, it would be helpful... (I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 -- the stock RPMs under CentOS 4.4. It also fails using a tclkit-linux-x86 based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.) -- Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 Deepwoods Software -- Linux Installation and Administration http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Web Hosting, with CGI an...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function
Hi, Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? Thanks in advance JL Jay eL wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a tclextension. http://mini.net/tcl/2391 http://mini.net/tcl/2141 Michael Michael Schlenker wrote: > > Jay eL wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? > If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > > > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? > If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a > tclextension. > http://mini.net/tcl/2391 > http://mini.net/tcl/2141 > > Michael Yes, you can use the binary format command to manipulate the data at the byte or even bit level. The binary scan goes the other way around. If you have specific questions, please post them: a lot of us will be able to help you out. Regards, Arjen ...

Can't find a usable init.tcl ... Tcl wasn't installed correctly
I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as expected under Linux. When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: ----------------------------------------------------------- Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed correctly. ----------------------------------------------------------- I tried again after executing SET TCL_LIBRARY=C:\Tcl\Lib\tcl8.4 from the command prompt, and the Tcl_Init call succeeded. Have I actually installed Tcl incorrectly? I just accepted all the default settings rather dumbly during installation. Will I have to set TCL_LIBRARY like this each time I want to run such a program? In article <0d_Of.1893$kg.1014@news02.roc.ny>, Patrick wrote: > I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as > expected under Linux. > > When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, > initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: > > ----------------------------------------------------------- > Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: What was here? Was there a long list of directories that you trimmed away when posting? If not something is very very weird. If so, then you trimmed exactly the part that might allow me to help you. > This probably m...

Q: auto_path extension by tcllib's/tklib's pkgIndex.tcl
Hi, I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first commands in that pkgIndex.tcl file is to add this directory to the auto_path variable - and that looks completely superfluous to me, at least with default installation paths: 1. the installation directory with that pkgIndex.tcl file does not include any tclIndex file, so tcl_unknown cannot benefit from extending auto_path with that installation directory. 2. when this pkgIndex.tcl gets sourced (by tclPkgUnknown, the first time a "package require <Pkg>" command for an unknown package is given), obviously auto_path already leads to this installation directory, so adding it explicitly doesn't bring anything new. I.e. if tcllib/tklib are found, all subpackages contained therein will also be found (as each of them has its own pkgIndex.tcl at a lower level subdirectory). I know that adding (innocent) directories to auto_path doesn't harm - except maybe in terms of performance. But if one wants to keep auto_path as lean and clean as possible, these additions should be removed - or am I missing something? Thanks, Erik Allaert European Southern Observatory, Munich Erik Allaert wrote: > Hi, > > I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a > pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first > commands in that pkgIn...

tcl application with tcl application

sf.net and tcl/tk pages... where's the news?
I was just noticing that, for instance, on http://sf.net/projects/tktoolkit/ there hasn't been any news posted since 2002. I think the Tcl page was a little better - I think 3 items posted in the past 2 years. I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter" to, at the very least, post a news update each time a new release appeared, and perhaps even post updates when TIPs make it into the core? The public perception of Tcl is debated often here, but it seems like, with a little bit of effort, release notes for updates could go onto the site, and perhaps someone might update http://www.tcl.tk/'s front page with info about other tcl related software releases. -- <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > Indescribable,uncontainable,all powerful,untameable Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL: mailto:lvirden@gmail.com > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ > lvirden@gmail.com wrote: > I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl > reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter"... It seems to me that the Tcl world has a weekly newsletter in the form of the Tcl_URL! -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | ht...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

A Busy Developer's Guide to Tcl/Tk 8.5
For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of some help: http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html Mark O/H Mark Roseman ������: > For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the > highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if > you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of > some help: > > http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html > > Mark Extremely useful! Thank you very much for collecting all this info. (I even found something I wanted and requested through a tip (wm iconphoto) that I hadn't realized that it has been approved...) George Mark Roseman wrote: > For anyone who is looking for a fairly concise explanation of the > highlights of Tcl/Tk 8.5 (or what goodies you'll be missing out on if > you don't start planning to migrate), I hope this document might be of > some help: > > http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html > > Mark That is GREAT Mark. Thank you for the time it took to do that. Robert Mark Roseman <mark@markroseman.com> writes: > http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html Oops, I see (for pre-8.5): # accept the flattened form of the array proc processarray {arraydata} { array set a [array get $array...

Tcl/Tk's component can auto resize while adjust the main frame's size?
In Tcl/Tk if I adjust the main frame's size, the component in the main frame can auto resize by the main frame? such as used Layout Manager in Java? I had try the packer manager and grid manager , but It only control the componment's position in the frame but can't control it size. Who can tell me ? Macro wrote: > In Tcl/Tk if I adjust the main frame's size, > the component in the main frame can auto resize by the main frame? > such as used Layout Manager in Java? > I had try the packer manager and grid manager , > but It only control the componment's position in the frame but can't > control it size. > Who can tell me ? This is something that Tk handles extremely well (*much* better than Swing). Use the -fill/-expand options to [pack] or the -sticky/-weight options to [grid] to specify which widgets should expand. e.g., using grid: # Create the widgets text .t -yscrollcommand [list .vsb set] \ -xscrollcommand [list .hsb set] \ -wrap none scrollbar .vsb -orient vertical \ -command [list .t yview] scrollbar .hsb -orient horizontal \ -command [list .y xview] # Add them to the grid manager, using -sticky # to say in which directions each should expand grid .t -row 0 -column 0 -sticky nsew grid .vsb -row 0 -column 1 -sticky ns grid .hsb -row 1 -column 0 -sticky ew # Change the row and column weights so that the text # widget expands before the scrollbars grid rowconfigure . 0 -weight 1 grid c...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

Web resources about - Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Sep 5) - comp.lang.tcl