Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Sep 5) #2

QOTW: "I don't believe anything that I haven't measured myself." - Jesus
Rivas, world expert on *Eunectes murinus*, probably the world's largest snake
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/08/18/anaconda/index1.html

"I must admit that from what I've seen, it appears to be more stable than
JAVA." - Eric Rice and ...  "Thanks We do take a pretty stringent approach
to bugs here, and try to stamp them out with a mallet as soon as they show
their ugly faces :)." - ... and Jacob Levy from the past

POTW:
    Tcl Plug-In for Eclipse by Greg Pierce
    Just wanted to post a new message that I created a Tcl Plug-in
    for Eclipse using TclBlend from the tcljava SourceForge project.
    They have not included my changes into TclBlend as of yet.
    Therefore, you'll have to apply my patch:
	http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1499782&group_id=13005&atid=313005

    TileQt version 0.4 beta 1...
    A new version of TileQt has been released, version 0.4 beta 1.
    It can be found at:
	http://www.ellogon.org/petasis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=40

    The most notable changes are the addition of support for the ttk::paned
    and ttk::sizegrip widgets, as well as initial support for Qt 4.x
    (currently, all widgets except scrollbar, notebook and scale are supported).
    Also, a small graphical configuration utility has been added
    (config-rpm.tcl) that can help configuring TileQt in rpm-based systems,
    if both Qt 3.x & Qt 4.x (devel rpms) have been installed.
    Of course many bugs have been fixed.

ORBI: or what happened on comp.lang.tcl
    Twapi get primary domain controller
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/ef60501912984adf

    tcom: selecting instance to connect to...
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5c274546a8d14623

    A good menu tutorial?
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/ba84103870bcad6b

    Creating nested safe interpreters and load Tk into it
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/e797c07f14eb833

    Embedding Tk in an MFC application
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/7adc95f6b0c5830d

    I need to create a line graphic on a headless box
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/9af9081592c778b

TIPX: new, used and discarded Tips
    nothing new here, walk on, but look left first:
    Donal K Fellows seems to make progress with TIP 257
	http://wiki.tcl.tk/14754

OOTW: Orphan of the week or questions nobody answered yet:
    TWAIN dll for Tcl/Tk
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/cb02d900d9e40055

URBI: or what happened on comp.lang.tcl this week TEN years ago:

    ISO WWW collaborative software written in Tcl
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/6d1a1519a976daf

    ISO package management question
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/c0035b46fbebf08d

    ARGH!
    Tcl or Java? Both !
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/324b3429dbb59e59

    Common LISP: The Next Generation
	http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java/browse_thread/thread/b4f47a4441cdbb21

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his report on the Wiki:
  A new season is nearing - wet and grey, depressing ...
  But the French Wiki holds a lot of goodies for the
  MacOSX programmers - so look at <http://wfr.tcl.tk/4>
  if you can read French!

  Bits and pieces
  - KWWidgets is yet another GUI library, this one
    cooperates smoothly with Tcl/Tk and has interfaces
    to visualisation libraries - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16657>

  - While human beings can easily determine a nice range
    for an axis in a plot, computers have to be carefully
    instructed - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16640> summarises
    a few approaches.

  - Uninvited guests on your computer ... some eavesdropping
    on TCP/IP that you want to detect or prevent? Here are
    two pages on that: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/12105> and
    <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16639>

  Only human
  - What would the Tcl parser be mumbling, if it could
    mumble? <http://wiki.tcl.tk/1012> may provide insight
    in the interpretation of your Tcl code.

  - Biologists may be abhorred by the thought - trees
    that can learn - but hush, it is only a programming
    construct: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16645>

  - No code, just a true story about a company
    - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/6126>

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
    The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
        http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome
    comp.lang.tcl is a crucial resource for Tcl practitioners.
    An interesting perspective on its traffic appears at
        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/about

    The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
	http://www.tcl.tk

    Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
        http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

    The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
    of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
    maintain references to their own software:
        http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
    The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
    boss Tcl is a good thing
        http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

    The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
    of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
    Tcl.
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
    For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
    interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/969
    There's also a high-quality Wikibook on Tcl:
        http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Tcl

    ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
        http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
    along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
        http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

    deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
        http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

    Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest (but
    needs to validate many of the links).
        http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

    Years ago, Cetus Links maintained a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
        http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

    "Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts--even
    though clta itself is dormant.

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are supposed to be
listed at *Dr. Dobbs*, but sysad at CMP has fallen behind.  We're working
with them to restore the archive.
  http://www.ddj.com/topic/tcl/
In the meantime, an alternative is
  http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<claird@phaseit.net> to subscribe.  Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error message would .. occur if the respective DLL was not found. It appears that .. the Vim maintainer last checked building against 8.4] .. .. The Tcl interface works for a simple ":tcl puts Hello" but .. when I tried anything more I get the error: .. .. wrong # args: should be "catch command ?varName?" .. .. This is because Vim creates a replacement "catch" command .. (I've attached the relevant code below. As the comments .. state, Vim needs to prevent exit() being called by Tcl. Tcl .. 8.5 has introduced a new "catch" command that takes an .. additional argument, and somewhere -- either the Tcl .. library or tcl85.dll -- uses catch with four arguments. I .. don't have 8.5's source but I see that auto.tcl, clock.tcl, .. init.tcl, (I stopped looking) all use the four-argument catch. .. .. So here's my question: what's the best way this...

Tcl's Future was: Re: Apache 2.0 TCL solution
davidnwelton@gmail.com wrote: [snip] > Part of the problem is that where Rails has had brilliant marketing, > Tcl's has been nothing short of disastrous, so with something like > Rails, that is good technology, hopping on the bandwagon is a pleasant > change from the "trench warfware" world of trying to defend Tcl. > > A recent example: > > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/3201127 > > Someone 'important' actually used Tcl for an important project, and I > don't even see anyone answering him in public. I doubt anyone will answer. There isn't a clear leader for Tcl, or even much direction or push for releases by all of the core team. I'm also having serious doubts about some things. 8.5 is over 4 years old and it's still alpha. If there's any clear person pushing for releases it's DGP, but one man is not an army or a "core team." Just today I tracked down a bug in Tcl's Unicode big-endian code path that has had an alignment bug for years! This is a bug that causes a bus error on PA-RISC and probably other big-endian systems that use the big-endian Unicode conversion paths. It just got reported today. I'm lead to believe a lot of things don't get tested, engineered, and reviewed properly. We are human after all, but I think we can do better, regardless of what some may say. I once proposed that we need a code review mailing list, so that...

FVWM: Tcl's 'Iconwindow' not working with fvwm-2.5.18-1
I posted this to the "FVWM Users" <fvwm@fvwm.org>, but no one on that list seems to know what is wrong. I use several Tcl/Tk programs (exmh, plus some homegrown ones) that use Tcl's 'iconwindow' function to create dynamic window manager icons. I also use FVWM's IconBox module. For some reason, those applications that use Tcl's 'iconwindow' function, don't get their proper icons in the IconBox. Instead they get the 'default' generic icon. This *used* to work just fine back when I was using fvwm-2.4.<mumble>. What has changed? Do I need to add something to my .fvwmrc file? I did some poking around in the FVWM 2.5.18 source code for the FvwmIconBox module (and not finding anything obvious), I'm still looking for a solution. I've created a minimual test case (binary for Linux x86 (using tclkit-linux-x86) and Tcl/Tk source code): http://www.deepsoft.com/minimualiconwindow-0.0-linux.tar.gz http://www.deepsoft.com/minimualiconwindow-0.0.tar.gz If anyone who knows the inner workings of the FvwmIconBox module AND knows about Tcl/Tk iconwindow functionallity can figure out what is going on, it would be helpful... (I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 -- the stock RPMs under CentOS 4.4. It also fails using a tclkit-linux-x86 based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.) -- Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 Deepwoods Software -- Linux Installation and Administration http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Web Hosting, with CGI an...

Tcl on Dr. Dobb's
Dr. Dobb's has just posted an editorial on 25 years of Tcl: http://www.drdobbs.com/240165482 ...

A Busy Developer's Guide to Tcl/Tk 8.5 #2
I've updated my overview of what developers should know about 8.5 to bring it up to date with this week's 8.5.0 release. http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html Hope this is helpful - comments and suggestions appreciated. Mark Mark Roseman wrote: > I've updated my overview of what developers should know about 8.5 to > bring it up to date with this week's 8.5.0 release. > > http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html > > Hope this is helpful - comments and suggestions appreciated. You missed [wm manage], which is great for going that extra mile with toolbars. Donal. Donal K. Fellows wrote: > You missed [wm manage], which is great for going that extra mile with > toolbars. I hadn't spotted it either - I've just tried it out. It's a fantastic facility! I'm trying to spot the differences between a toplevel and a frame: (1) A toplevel is created in the mapped and wm manage'd state; A frame is created unmapped and in the wm forget'd state (2) By default a toplevel has class Toplevel, unless it is the main window "." when it has an application-specific class; By default a frame has class Frame. (3) A toplevel has additional subcommands -menu, -screen, -use Are there any other differences? Bindtags seem to be handled in the same way for both toplevels and frames, in particular the bindtag that refers to "this window's toplevel" is updated when wm manage/forget and...

Tcl-fuse: A Tcl interface to the Linux kernel's FUSE subsystem.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the Tcl programming language. It enables: * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring organization. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fuse/ Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis Alexandros Stergiakis wrote: > This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse > > Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the > underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the > Tcl programming language. > > It enables: > * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in > it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. > * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. > > Dependencies: > * Tcl 8.5 or greater. > * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. > > Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring > organization. > >...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script? #2
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? You're probably looking for the "source" command. Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The command "load" is for binary shared libraries. -- Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best." Thanks Darren. But what my need is that I am writing a tcl script which is going to take any tcl script as input and should return the output of the file. How can I do that? Regards, Prabu Darren New wrote: > prabu wrote: > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > You're probably looking for the "source" command. > > Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The > command "load" is for binary shared libraries. > > -- > Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) > Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, > and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best." On 17 Dec 2006 21:16:16 -0800, "prabu" <catchme.prabu@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks Dar...

Segmentation fault returning value in Thread for Tcl 8.3.5/Thread 2.5 (2.1.5)
I wrote a simple "exec" function that runs the specified program in another thread, splits out the stdout and stderr output and returns asynchronously. (I attached the script and traceback from the core dump at the end of this message.) I started off using Tcl 8.3.5/Thread 2.5 (2.1.5). It seems that if the script running in the other thread returns a value using "return $result", I get a core dump. But, if I return the value using "set result", it doesn't core dump. If I use Tcl 8.4.5/Thread 2.5.2, the script throws an error condition if I use "re...

tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function
Hi, Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? Thanks in advance JL Jay eL wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know is there any tcl's equivalence to Perl's pack function? If i remember correct you could achieve the effects with binary format. > Or how could I use the perl code in tcl? If your so desperate you can use tclperl, an perl interpreter as a tclextension. http://mini.net/tcl/2391 http://mini.net/tcl/2141 Michael Michael Schlenker wrote: > > Jay eL wrote: > > Hi, > >...

Can't find a usable init.tcl ... Tcl wasn't installed correctly
I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as expected under Linux. When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: ----------------------------------------------------------- Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed correctly. ----------------------------------------------------------- I tried again after executing SET TCL_LIBRARY=C:\Tcl\Lib\tcl8.4 from the command prompt, and the Tcl_Init call succeeded. Have I actually installed Tcl incorrectly? I just accepted all the default settings rather dumbly during installation. Will I have to set TCL_LIBRARY like this each time I want to run such a program? In article <0d_Of.1893$kg.1014@news02.roc.ny>, Patrick wrote: > I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as > expected under Linux. > > When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, > initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: > > ----------------------------------------------------------- > Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: What was here? Was there a long list of directories that you trimmed away when posting? If not something is very very weird. If so, then you trimmed exactly the part that might allow me to help you. > This probably m...

Q: auto_path extension by tcllib's/tklib's pkgIndex.tcl
Hi, I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first commands in that pkgIndex.tcl file is to add this directory to the auto_path variable - and that looks completely superfluous to me, at least with default installation paths: 1. the installation directory with that pkgIndex.tcl file does not include any tclIndex file, so tcl_unknown cannot benefit from extending auto_path with that installation directory. 2. when this pkgIndex.tcl gets sourced (by tclPkgUnknown, the first time a "package require <Pkg>" command for an unknown package is given), obviously auto_path already leads to this installation directory, so adding it explicitly doesn't bring anything new. I.e. if tcllib/tklib are found, all subpackages contained therein will also be found (as each of them has its own pkgIndex.tcl at a lower level subdirectory). I know that adding (innocent) directories to auto_path doesn't harm - except maybe in terms of performance. But if one wants to keep auto_path as lean and clean as possible, these additions should be removed - or am I missing something? Thanks, Erik Allaert European Southern Observatory, Munich Erik Allaert wrote: > Hi, > > I've seen that tcllib's and tklib's installer scripts generate a > pkgIndex.tcl file on their installation directory. One of the first > commands in that pkgIn...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

sf.net and tcl/tk pages... where's the news?
I was just noticing that, for instance, on http://sf.net/projects/tktoolkit/ there hasn't been any news posted since 2002. I think the Tcl page was a little better - I think 3 items posted in the past 2 years. I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter" to, at the very least, post a news update each time a new release appeared, and perhaps even post updates when TIPs make it into the core? The public perception of Tcl is debated often here, but it seems like, with a little bit of effort, release notes for updates could go onto the site, and perhaps someone might update http://www.tcl.tk/'s front page with info about other tcl related software releases. -- <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > Indescribable,uncontainable,all powerful,untameable Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL: mailto:lvirden@gmail.com > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ > lvirden@gmail.com wrote: > I was wondering if perhaps there would be interest if some comp.lang.tcl > reader would step up to volunteer to be a "news reporter"... It seems to me that the Tcl world has a weekly newsletter in the form of the Tcl_URL! -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | ht...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

tcl application with tcl application

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.5 rpms with thread 2.5.2 extension
They can be found at: http://jfontain.free.fr/tcl-8.4.5-1.i386.rpm http://jfontain.free.fr/tk-8.4.5-1.i386.rpm http://jfontain.free.fr/tk-8.4.5-1.spec They were generated on an up-to-date Redhat 9 i386 system. They install under /opt/tcltk and therefore does not conflict and peacefully coexists with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To rebuild them, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type:...

Web resources about - Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Sep 5) #2 - comp.lang.tcl