Embed the Tk Console in a Tcl/Tk application

I have many programs that have a GUI and use the Tk Console.  It is
difficult and annoying to have two separate windows for one
application.  How can the Console be integrated into a Tcl program
GUI?
What I want to do is simply create a container frame in my main
program then call:
console eval ". configure -use $frameId"
but -use does not work with configure.

Surly this has been done many times before but I have been searching
for a few hours now and have not found anything.

Does anyone have a solution?

dallas.goecker@gmail.com a �crit :
> I have many programs that have a GUI and use the Tk Console.  It is
> difficult and annoying to have two separate windows for one
> application.  How can the Console be integrated into a Tcl program
> GUI?
> What I want to do is simply create a container frame in my main
> program then call:
> console eval ". configure -use $frameId"
> but -use does not work with configure.
>
> Surly this has been done many times before but I have been searching
> for a few hours now and have not found anything.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?

CrowTDE is an example of application which integrates Tkcon in the GUI.
http://crowtde.sourceforge.net/
On Jan 31, 1:07 pm, dallas.goec...@gmail.com wrote:
> application.  How can the Console be integrated into a Tcl program GUI?

See http://wiki.tcl.tk/17616

Jeff
0
jeff.hobbs (444)
1/31/2008 10:59:37 PM
dallas.goecker@gmail.com schrieb:
> I have many programs that have a GUI and use the Tk Console.  It is
> difficult and annoying to have two separate windows for one
> application.  How can the Console be integrated into a Tcl program
> GUI?
> What I want to do is simply create a container frame in my main
> program then call:
> console eval ". configure -use $frameId"
> but -use does not work with configure.
>
> Surly this has been done many times before but I have been searching
> for a few hours now and have not found anything.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?

You might also check out Tloona: http://tloona.sourceforge.net/
In fact, the console there is designed to be reused in other programs.
Look at src/tmw-console.

- Eckhard
On Feb 1, 5:07 am, dallas.goec...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have many programs that have a GUI and use the Tk Console.  It is
> difficult and annoying to have two separate windows for one
> application.  How can the Console be integrated into a Tcl program
> GUI?
> What I want to do is simply create a container frame in my main
> program then call:
> console eval ". configure -use $frameId"
> but -use does not work with configure.
>
> Surly this has been done many times before but I have been searching
> for a few hours now and have not found anything.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?

Here's an embeddable console I wrote for my own use. It is based on
the text widget and behaves like a text widget:

  namespace eval textConsole {
    proc notEnd {widget} {
      set current [split [$widget index insert] "."]
      set this [lindex $current 0]
      set that [lindex [split [$widget index end] "."] 0]
      incr this
      if {$this != $that} {
        return 1
      }
      set this [lindex $current 1]
      if {$this <= 1} {
        return 1
      }
      return 0
    }

    proc handlekey {widget {command ""}} {
      set idx [$widget index {end -1 lines}]
      set line [string trim [$widget get "$idx +1 chars" end]]

      # clear is an internal command:
      if {[string trim $line] == "clear"} {
        after 1 [list $widget delete 0.0 end]
      } else {
        if {$command == ""} {
          set command {namespace eval textConsole::context $line}
        } else {
          lappend command $line
        }
        if {[catch {eval $command} out]} {
          set out $::errorInfo
        }
        $widget insert end "\n$out\n"
      }

      after idle [list $widget insert end ">"]
    }
  }

  proc textConsole {widget args} {
    set handler ""
    while {[llength $args]} {
      set op [lindex $args 0]
      set args [lrange $args 1 end]
      switch -exact -- $op {
        -handler {
          set handler [lindex $args 0]
          set args [lrange $args 1 end]
        }
      }
    }

    frame $widget
    pack [text $widget.t \
      -yscrollcommand [list $widget.s set] \
      -font "Courier 8"] \
      -fill both -expand 1 -side left
    pack [scrollbar $widget.s \
      -command [list $widget.t.internal yview] \
      -orient vertical] \
      -side right -fill y

    rename $widget.t $widget.t.internal
    proc $widget.t {args} [string map [list %WIDGET% $widget] {
      if {[lindex $args 0] == "insert" &&
        [lindex $args 1] != "end"} {
        if {[textConsole::notEnd %WIDGET%.t.internal]} {
          set args [lreplace $args 1 1 "end"]
          %WIDGET%.t.internal mark set insert end
        }
      } elseif {[lindex $args 0] == "delete"} {
        if {[textConsole::notEnd %WIDGET%.t.internal]} {
          return
        }
      } elseif {[lindex $args 0] == "handler"} {
        if {[llength $args] != 2} {
          error \
            {wrong # args: should be "%WIDGET% handler script"}
        }
        bind %WIDGET%.t <KeyPress-Return> \
          [list textConsole::handlekey \
            %WIDGET%.t.internal [lindex $args 1]]
        return
      }
      eval %WIDGET%.t.internal $args
    }]
    $widget.t.internal insert end ">"
    bind $widget.t <KeyPress-Return> \
      [list textConsole::handlekey \
        $widget.t.internal $handler]
    return $widget
  }

  ##
  # USAGE EXAMPLE:
  ##
  textConsole .con
  pack .con -fill both -expand 1

  ##
  # Commands typed into the console
  # above are evaluated by the default
  # handler. The default handler evals
  # commands in a private namespace.
  # You can also define your own custom
  # handler if you want:
  ##

  ##
  # EXAMPLE: this console evals
  # in global scope:
  ##
  textConsole .con2 -handler handle_con2
  proc handle_con2 {line} {
    uplevel #0 $line
  }

  ##
  # EXAMPLE: this console [exec]
  # instead of [eval]:
  ##
  textConsole .con3 -handler handle_con3
  proc handle_con3 {line} {
    eval exec $line
  }
0
slebetman (894)

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

tcl application with tcl application

"Tk editor application template" [http://wiki.tcl.tk/8288]
I'm using Tk/Tcl 8.6.4 under WinXP Pro SP3 My learning style is to tweak something that is almost what I want until it is. I have three identified problems: 1. What is proper syntax to invoke when sourced from another script? [Works as expected when clicking on filename.] The code reads: #-------------------------------------------------- # Execute the main procedure #-------------------------------------------------- myAppMain $argc $argv However no reference to "argc" exists. 2. How do I add a functional "Find" com...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Tcl/Tk to Perl/TK Translation Problem
Hello, I am having problems translating the following tcl/tk code to perl/tk: ============ tcl code ============ label .controls.sizel -text "Size:" grid .controls.quall .controls.quallo .controls.qual .controls.qualhi -sticky ew grid .controls.sizel .controls.sizesm .controls.size .controls.sizelg -sticky ew grid .controls.colorl .controls.color -sticky ew grid configure .controls.color -columnspan 3 grid configure .controls.quall .controls.sizel .controls.colorl -sticky e grid configure .controls.quallo .controls.sizesm -sticky e grid configure .controls.qualh...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Localisation of Tcl/Tk Application
Hi, We need to localise Tcl/Tk application in devnagari (Hindi or Marathi) .. Can someone give me exact steps to go ahead about this ?? Major issues is fonts and unicode labels, messages in UI The platform is linux. In case we have to use gnutext utilities .. how to go about it starting with message files .mo, .po etc Thanks in advance Andy Andy wrote: > Hi, > > We need to localise Tcl/Tk application in devnagari (Hindi or > Marathi) .. > > Can someone give me exact steps to go ahead about this ?? > > Major issues is fonts and unicode ...

Re: Tcl/Tk to Perl/TK Translation Problem
Philippe de Rochambeau <philippe@wwphi.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I am having problems translating the following tcl/tk code to perl/tk: > > ============ tcl code ============ > label .controls.sizel -text "Size:" > > grid .controls.quall .controls.quallo .controls.qual .controls.qualhi > -sticky ew > grid .controls.sizel .controls.sizesm .controls.size .controls.sizelg > -sticky ew > grid .controls.colorl .controls.color -sticky ew > grid configure .controls.color -columnspan 3 > grid configure .controls.quall .control...

tk::mac::ShowPreferences in Tcl/Tk Linux version?
When I define a procedure tk::mac::ShowPreferences working on a Mac Leopard Snow with the Mac version of ActiveState Tcl/Tk I can use the Mac Preference menu without problems. Great work! But normally I work on a Unix platform compiling my program with tclkit-darwin-aqua for a Mac Platform. And defining a procedure proc ::tk::mac::ShowPreferences {} { tk_messageBox -type ok -icon info -default ok \ -title "Preferences" \ -message "Here will be a Preference Dialog!" } and compiling it for aqua will fail on the Mac. Probably I have to add the tk::ma...

List of Tcl/Tk based applications
Is there a list kept anywhere of applications created using the Tcl/Tk language and tools? I have written a few things over the years that might be useful, at least as learning tools, for someone else even if they don't actually use the programs. Rob. On 04/11/2012 01:42 AM, Rob wrote: > Is there a list kept anywhere of applications created using the Tcl/Tk > language and tools? > > I have written a few things over the years that might be useful, at least as > learning tools, for someone else even if they don't actually use the > programs. > You can search github by language: https://github.com/languages/Tcl Ned On 4/11/12 12:42 AM, Rob wrote: > Is there a list kept anywhere of applications created using the Tcl/Tk > language and tools? > > I have written a few things over the years that might be useful, at least as > learning tools, for someone else even if they don't actually use the > programs. It is implied in your post that you mean public domain programs. I'd look at/to http://wiki.tcl.tk As to commercial programs, I think ActiveState has a partial list on one of their "testimonial" pages. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net | +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ ...

Tcl/Tk
Hi, I'm new to this group. Infact, I'm new to Tcl/Tk. Just thought I'd share my first Tcl script. If your like me and remember the good old days of computer graphics, the demoscene, etc. then you will like this. An oldskool graphics intro with 3d starfield, 3d spinning cube, scroller and last but by no means least some copper bars. If you run this be sure to change the top line to point to your wish.exe. cheers, Paul. frenzy wrote: > Hi, > > I'm new to this group. Infact, I'm new to Tcl/Tk. Just thought I'd > share my first Tcl script. If your like me ...

Ways of quitting a TCL/TK application.
Hi. I need to determine the end of TCL/TK script execution. Are there any other ways to interrupt the execution, except "error", "exit" and "return" commands, generating syntax errors and closing the window in case of TK application? Is it enough to set my own handler on the "wm . WM_DELETE_WINDOW" to handle the last case? Thanks in advance. With best regards, Eldar Yusupov. Eldar Yusupov wrote: > Hi. > > I need to determine the end of TCL/TK script execution. > Are there any other ways to interrupt the execution, except >...

About Tcl/Tk
Hi, In order to build GUIs with Ruby, should I learn Tk? By the way, I have tried to find Tk tutorials and I have seen that all of them start with Tcl. Are Tcl and Tk "inseparable" things? If I want to use/learn Tk, should I learn Tcl first? Thanks in advance. Surgeon wrote: > In order to build GUIs with Ruby, should I learn Tk? No, there is no need for learning Tk if you do not want to use it. At http://www.trug.ca/Ruby_GUI_Toolkits you will find some other toolkits available for Ruby. Most of those toolkits use different ways of `doing things', learning one does not mea...

Tk send command on Tcl/Tk Aqua Batteries Included
Anybody know if you can use the Tk "send" command on the Batteries Included Tcl/Tk for Aqua package on MAC OSX ? It kind of looks like it is turned off by default. When I do "winfo interps" , all I see is {Wish Shell} no matter how many Tk interpreters I launch. I tried "xhost +" , I don't know how or if you can enable it with Xauthority on a MAC. I also tried installing XFree86 for Darwin and launched a Batteries included Wish from a shell from the TWM that comes up with XFree86, but still only see {Wish Shell} from winfo interps command. Would I need to...

Tcl/Tk
Hi, everyone. I'm learning Tcl/Tk (pretty fun to use and easy too) for some small projects I want to create. I haven't yet tried it under OS/2-has anyone else used the OS/2 port and if so, how did you like it? I know a silly question, but I'm wanting to write some small programs for use with my BBS. Thanks, Sean -- "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Sean Dennis * hausmaus@darktech.org * http://outpostbbs.net SysOp of Outpost BBS running Ezycom v2.00 under OS/2 Warp 4.52 On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:12:39 GMT, Sean Dennis <ha...

Installation shield application in Tcl/tk
Hi all, How complex to write the installation shield application in Tcl/tk. Or can anyone give me the proper pointer to the subject? regards Sree Sree wrote: > How complex to write the installation shield application in Tcl/tk. > Or can anyone give me the proper pointer to the subject? http://installbase.sourceforge.net/ It's not a "mature" app, but it does work for some cases. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos ...

Embedding Tcl / Tk in a GTK Application
Greetings! A long time ago, I was working a lot with Tcl/Tk, but have mostly given up in the meantime. Still, I am very fond of the language and thought of using it as the embedded scripting engine for FreeCiv. While I was playing around, a lot of old memories came alive. Tcl_CreateInterp and Tk_Init, for instance. Still, I would like to ask all of you: what is the correct process to embed a Tk engine inside of a GTK application? What I'd like to have is the following: the GTK app has a menu item "Script". The Script item does the following: 1. Initialize Tcl/Tk 2. Show a Tcl/...

Tcl and the Tk Toolkit--no coverage of Tk's C API
I'm reading the second edition of Tcl and the Tk Toolkit, and am finding it very informative. I appreciate the coverage of the ttk widgets, in particular the tree widget, which has always been somewhat difficult for me to grok. The coverage of Tcl's C API is also very helpful; I'm learning a lot from that. However, there's one conspicuous omission from the book: Tk's C API. On p. 19, the book notes that "Tk provides a library that you can use to create new widget classes and geometry managers in C, but this capability is rarely used and so is not covered in this book." I have to say, I'm disappointed. As one who's been trying to learn Tk's C API, it would be nice to see an up-to-date, structured overview of the Tk C API that follows the same structure as the book's discussion of Tcl's C API. The Brent Welch book has a detailed overview of how to write a Tk widget in C, but I find it hard to follow. (Perhaps this will become easier to manage after I digest the general Tcl/C API discussion in Osterhout/Jones.) I can't help but wonder if the new book's attitude about the Tk C API--that it's "rarely used"--explains, or at least is a symptom of, Tk's slow pace of evolution over the years relative to other toolkits. The Tcl core community is pretty small, but Tk's core of C developers is even smaller. By my count, there are three active members of the TCT who actively develop Tk, an...

ANNOUNCE: ADB and ADBSQL pure-tcl database engine for Tcl/Tk
Dear All, I'm happy to announce today the first release of adb/adbsql. ADB together with the MySQL database connectivity module adbsql are a Tcl/Tk package useful for Tcl/Tk programmers that want to store their data in a database-kind of way with tables and fields. Two (optional) features of ADB that may make it worthwhile for you: * Writing the database as XML output and later of course the ability to read it. * Connecting directly to a MySQL database. The fun part of ADB is that you can either use it as a full pure tcl library, or you can use these advanced features that require additional packages. Both modules are released under open source LGPL or BSD licenses (your pick) More information: http://wiki.tcl.tk/6319 - Tcl/Tk wiki page on ADB http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbsql/ - Sourceforge page (including download area) http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adb.html - Manual page of ADB http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adbsql.html - Manual page of ADBSQL Kind regards, Roalt Aalmoes ...

Problem running application based on TCL/TK
Hi all, I'm trying to port an application top OpenVMS. The application consists of both compiled C/Fortran executables as TCL-scripts. The problem arises when a TCL-script requires to run an executable i.e. by he command exec { /$disk6/joukj/public/xcrysden.xcrysden/bin/ftnunit } These commands always fail. although the file $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe exists and can be runned by $ run $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe Does anyone has experience using this exec command from TCL? Did I made a configuration error in the application? Does the exec command in TCL work for OpenVMS? I tried both OpenVMs 8.4 on Alpha and IA64 with the same results The application I'm trying to port is XCrySDen. See http://nchrem.tnw.tudelft.nl/openvms/software2.html#XCRYS for more details how I did it. Jouk Joukj wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm trying to port an application top OpenVMS. The application consists > of both compiled C/Fortran executables as TCL-scripts. The problem > arises when a TCL-script requires to run an executable > i.e. by he command > exec { /$disk6/joukj/public/xcrysden.xcrysden/bin/ftnunit } > These commands always fail. although the file > $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe exists and can be > runned by > $ run $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe > > Does anyone has experience using this exec command from TCL? ...

printing attachments from within a Tcl/Tk application...
Folks, I have an application on Windows running tcl 8.4 on XP clients, (behind 2003 server, Oracle 9i on a sun box) that needs to print varietal attachments... word doc's; tif's; gif's; jpeg's, etc... (pdf's would be nice too, but there tend's to be a proprietary beastie behind that). I have access to another implementation that utilizes the dde package to do this, but I would think that there are more current and smoother packages to get this done... anyone got a suggestion? Thanks in advance!! regards, -kim- ...

simulating button clicks on a Tcl/Tk application
Hi, I have a Tcl/Tk based application and would like to simulate all the button clicks, key-typing events etc. For starting, we can do just the mouse clicks. But it looks like the event generate command does not work in the following code : button .b -command "puts command_executed" pack .b event generate .b Please help. >From man button: pathName invoke Invoke the Tcl command associated with the button, if there is one. The return value is the return value from the Tcl command, or an empty string if there is no command associated with the button. This command is ignored if the button's state is disabled. So in your case, .b invoke On Sep 7, 3:07 pm, suchenwi <richard.suchenwirth- bauersa...@siemens.com> wrote: > >From man button: > > pathName invoke > Invoke the Tcl command associated with the button, if there is one. > The return value is the return value from the Tcl command, or an empty > string if there is no command associated with the button. This command > is ignored if the button's state is disabled. > > So in your case, .b invoke I have a goood number of buttons, textboxes, entry widgets, menus and etc. GUI elements in my Tcl/Tk application so that finding the pathname and then calling invoke (not application to non- buttons ?) is not an options. I am looking for something like foreach event $list_of_events { bind all $event "+puts event generate %W $event ... " } Basically a user act...

Web resources about - Embed the Tk Console in a Tcl/Tk application - comp.lang.tcl

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Western Digital Introduces Its First Helium-Filled HDDs for Consumer Applications
... two models with 10 TB capacity. This week Western Digital unveiled the world’s first family of helium-filled HDDs designed for consumer applications, ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 27% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 4.8 percent from one week earlier, ...

Review: 5 application security testing tools compared
Users weigh in on favorite features, room for improvement. Application security is arguably the biggest cyber threat , responsible for 90 percent ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...