Extensive Cheat Sheet for Tcl/Tk

http://home.houston.rr.com/brianohagan/tcl_tk_ref_guide.html

Very nice, and thorough ; everyone should check this out.

Carl

0
cwjolly (228)

On Aug 30, 10:30 am, Bezoar <cwjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://home.houston.rr.com/brianohagan/tcl_tk_ref_guide.html

I wonder how related this is to the printed tcl/tk reference guide
created by Dave Bodenstab, Paul Raines, Jeff Tranter, based on Johan
Vromans work in perl.

The previous work was more oriented towards a TeX/LaTeX type series of
files and generated a really nice hard copy booklet with similar
information.
Alas, the tkref files appear to have last been updated in 2003, so
there are quite a few additions needed to them.

0
lvirden (1938)
8/30/2007 3:01:24 PM
Larry W. Virden wrote:

> I wonder how related this is to the printed tcl/tk reference guide
> created by Dave Bodenstab, Paul Raines, Jeff Tranter, based on Johan
> Vromans work in perl.
>
> The previous work was more oriented towards a TeX/LaTeX type series of
> files and generated a really nice hard copy booklet with similar
> information.
> Alas, the tkref files appear to have last been updated in 2003, so
> there are quite a few additions needed to them.

All of the TeX files are available as source, and I am totally open
to accepting patches/additions.  Since I updated Paul Raines' version
to Tcl 8.4.3, I have received patches from at most 3 people.  I
personally have not upgraded to 8.5 (I will wait until 8.5 becomes
the "official" release.)  I produced my version of the tcl/tk
reference for my use, and was happy to share that effort.  Perhaps,
if I find the time and motivation, I will update it when I finally
move to 8.5.  Again, anyone is free to contribute... or take over...
I have made a few changes (up to 8.4.9) beyond what I released, but
nothing significant enough to release a new package.  Contact me
if you're interested.

BTW, the reference at http://home.houston.rr.com/brianohagan/tcl_tk_ref_guide.html
*is* very nice, but a booklet is handy too.

Dave Bodenstab

[I have other interests that are taking my time, so I may not be able to
respond very quickly.  I will respond at least by mid Oct.]

Free Tcl App + Libs and TK Extension. Giving something back to the TCL Dev community
Free Tcl App + Libs and TK Extension. Giving something back to the TCL Dev community. After years of TCL Dev I am giving something back to the Dev Tcl Community. You can download NetpackX including source code at http://helihobby.com/netpackx/index.html and also you may download lots of cool aps and libs here: http://helihobby.com/netpackx/Tcl_Tk/tcl_tk.html I hope TCL/TK continues to grow and special thanks to Jeff Hobbs for his support. Regards, Sean - www.HeliHobby.com ...

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or does this indicate some subtle coding problem? Thanks for any suggestions Olaf Olaf Dietrich wrote: > Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension > is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking > the extension? > > Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that > I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be > loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using > package require). A number of newly provided commands work > well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and > wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. > > Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time > version and run-time version are identical? Or does this > indicate some subtle coding problem? Not subtle. Major problem. DO NOT DO THAT. If you want to be loadable across mult...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Tcl-fann: A Tcl extension for Artificial Neural Networks.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fann Tcl-fann enables artificial neural networks processing in Tcl. It is using the FANN (Fast Artificial Neural Networks) library underneath. Tcl-fann supports: * Fully, sparse and shortcut type connected multi-layer networks. * Backpropagation training (RPROP, Quickprop, Batch, Incremental) * Evolving topology training which dynamically builds and trains the ANN (Cascade) * Versatile (possible to adjust many parameters and features on-the-fly) * Several different activation functions implemented (including stepwise linear functions for that extra bit of speed) * Saving and loading of entire ANNs * Cross-platform (linux/unix & MS Windows (not tested)) Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * FANN Library (http://leenissen.dk/fann/) Version 2.2.0 or greater. Platform: Linux/Unix & MS Windows Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fann/ Man page: http://tcl-fann.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis ...

How to profile a Tcl/Tk extension?
I have used the "--enable-symbols" configure switch in the past to compile and debug Tcl/Tk extensions with "gdb". I would also like to use "gprof" at some point. I have dug around on the newsgroup and Wiki but have not found a specific example of how to get this to work with an extension (I saw an example with just the "tclsh" interpreter itself but not an extension). Just wondering if someone has done this before and can provide an example. Thanks for any help, Sean On Jan 14, 6:13=A0pm, "Sean.McKnight" <mcknigh...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have used the "--enable-symbols" configure switch in the past to > compile and debug Tcl/Tk extensions with > "gdb". > > I would also like to use "gprof" at some point. =A0I have dug around on > the newsgroup and Wiki but have > not found a specific example of how to get this to work with an > extension (I saw an example with just > the "tclsh" interpreter itself but not an extension). > > Just wondering if someone has done this before and can provide an > example. Sorry for the obvious, uninformative answer, but since nobody reacted... One easy thing is to link your ext statically and call your init func manually somewhere in the Tcl init sequence (see other Tcl_CreateObjCommand's). This way you have one single monolithic executable for gprof to chew on. -Alex On Jan 14, 6:15=A0pm, Alexandre ...

Dynamic extensions to Tcl/Tk
I have written several extensions for Tcl/Tk using the stubs interface. Theoretically, as I understand it, the stubs interface should not change between release levels. Lately I have found that extensions built against 8.4.x sources fail when loaded against 8.5.x releases. Has the stubs interface changed such that extensions need to be delivered in multiple versions, or should they still work regardless of the Tcl/Tk release level? Under Windows, this problem has not yet been reported to me, however linux issues have cropped up. Iain F. Iain B. Findleton wrote: > I have written several extensions for Tcl/Tk using the stubs > interface. Theoretically, as I understand it, the stubs interface > should not change between release levels. Lately I have found that > extensions built against 8.4.x sources fail when loaded against 8.5.x > releases. What sort of failure do you see? -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| ...

Compiling TCL/TK and extensions under windows
I have recently delved into the black art of compiling things tcl on windows (BLT/freewrap) and I am very surprised that everytning still uses VC 6.0. This compiler has not been available for sale (even apparently on ebay) for many years. I looked into trying to build a custom starpack with BLT statically linked in as windows cannot load a BLT dll and found that even the kitgen for 8.6 uses VC6. This is fine for all those who have a copy but using bittorrent to compile is not realy an option. Has anyone managed to change the makefile.vc for TCL/TK and especially BLT and starpacks to use the FREE visual C++ 2008 compiler. I have a stop gap solution for now but I prefer a more stable solution for a tool which is used regularly by several hundred users. Thanks in advance Martyn On 8 okt, 10:21, MSEdit <mse...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have recently delved into the black art of compiling things tcl on > windows (BLT/freewrap) and I am very surprised that everytning still > uses VC 6.0. =A0This compiler has not been available for sale (even > apparently on ebay) =A0for many years. > > I looked into trying to build a custom starpack with BLT statically > linked in as windows cannot load a BLT dll and found that even the > kitgen for 8.6 uses VC6. > > This is fine for all those who have a copy but using bittorrent to > compile is not realy an option. > > Has anyone managed to change the makefile.vc for TCL/TK and especially > BLT ...

Dynamic extensions to Tcl/Tk #2
In my case, set a link to libtcl8.5.x.so called libtcl8.4.so. The fltkwish (a custom wish variant) simply aborts. My own initial analysis is that the most likely cause is that the stubs initialization code fails, perhaps because of a difference between the 8.4 and 8.5 stubs interface definition. This happens on a phone with an armv4t build. Have as yet to investigate the issue on other platforms, and gdb is not up on the phone yet. Am 13.01.12 19:59, schrieb Iain B. Findleton: > In my case, set a link to libtcl8.5.x.so called libtcl8.4.so. The > fltkwish (a custom wish variant) simply aborts. I can't understand this sentence. Are you telling that on your system, libtcl8.5.x.so is a symbolic link pointing to libtcl8.4.so? This will most likely fail. > My own initial analysis is that the most likely cause is that the > stubs initialization code fails, perhaps because of a difference > between the 8.4 and 8.5 stubs interface definition. The stubs interface is made exactly for the purpose of having binary extensions compiled against version A to work with version B, however, this is guaranteed only if A<=B. Are you sure you did the stubbing correctly? It involves: a) defining USE_TCL_STUBS when you compile the extension b) call Tcl_InitStubs before you call any other Tcl function c) linking with libtclstubs.a instead of libtcl*.so The resulting library should not import any Tcl-related symbols. What is the output of ldd yourlibrary.so and n...

Dynamic extensions to Tcl/Tk #3
I am using google groups. Does not appear to give an option to reply. No, my link is libtcl8.4.so ->libtcl8.5.x.so This should work. When I run, the stack is clobbered. This to me appears to mean a size conflict. All I really want to know is whether or not this should be working. If that is the case, I will get the 8.5.x source tree and track down the problem. If its with Tcl/Tk (I would doubt it), I will post a fix. Iain F. Iain B. Findleton wrote: > No, my link is libtcl8.4.so ->libtcl8.5.x.so > > This should work. No, I don't think so. Don't Do That. Enabling that is not what stubs is about. Do you have a [load $lib] that is failing in an 8.5 interp where $lib was compiled against 8.4 headers? That's what stubs is supposed to support. -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| ...

Dynamic extensions to Tcl/Tk #5
I can now confirm that there must be a one to one match between the build environment of the custom wish shell, or any wish shell, and the installation environment of Tcl/Tk under which it is run. Thanks for the help of those who responded. It is also true that the extension DLL will work well with any valid wish shell variant. The stubs interface does work across Tcl/Tk versions. A minor issue I did run into while building Tcl/Tk 8.5.11 from the source distro found on www.tcl.tk is that some conflict resulting in a build failure happened due to the inclusion of /usr/include/unistd.h and ../compat/unistd.h The build method I used was the basic one: ./configure && make My system is gos (a Ubuntu variant) While configure generated a good configuration file, somewhere in the bowels of the Tcl/Tk headers both the /usr/include/unistd.h file and the ../compat/unistd.h file get included causing the build to fail. My solution was to edit the Tcl headers to comment out the include of unistd.h in tk8.5.11/unix/tkUnixPort.h Here is my release info: DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04 DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS" Here is my modified tkUnixPort.h: #ifndef NO_UNISTD_H //# include <unistd.h> #else # include "../compat/unistd.h" #endif ...

Dynamic extensions to Tcl/Tk #4
Okay, I have confirmed that the issue occurs on Ubuntu, so I suppose other platforms as well. The following facts appear to me: .. if the setup is libtcl8.4.so ->libtcl8.5.so.0, then the main interp (fltkwish) aborts with a stack clobbered. .. if I invoke the Fltk package from the tclsh from the 8.5.x distro, all works just fine. I therefore conclude that the problem is that the fltkwish main was compiled against the 8.4 headers, somehow causing the crash. Should I conclude that a version of fltkwish compiled against the 8.5 headers would work with 8.4 libraries? Or is it necessary to have a version of fltkwish for each of the release levels of Tcl/Tk? That would mean fltkwish8.4, fltkwish8.5, and fltkwish 8.6 ....etc? That would be somewhat of a nuisance. I do realize that 8.4 is getting long in the tooth, however, it still is the default install on several O/S machine I have in operation. What will be the situation if I compile against 8.5 and use 8.4 libraries? (I will give it a try....) Is there a general purpose solution to this issue? Any thoughts? On Jan 13, 10:40=A0pm, "Iain B. Findleton" <ifindle...@videotron.ca> wrote: > > Is there a general purpose solution to this issue? Any thoughts? Yes but you won't like it ;-) The one ABI that is likely to cross ages is fork/exec/read/write. Only extend Tcl when [open |]/[exec] have exhausted their potential. Of course you know that. -Alex At Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:40:43 -0800 (PST) "Ia...

tcl-inotify: File & directory level notifications for Tcl. (extension)
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-inotify. Tcl-inotify is a Tcl interface to the linux kernel's inotify* service. It provides a Tcl package that enables Tcl scripts to monitor the file system changes at a file and directory level. A large number of file/directory actions can be monitored. A proc is executed asynchronously to notify for changes. * inotify is a Linux kernel subsystem that provides file system event notifications. It was written by John McCutchan with help from Robert Love and later Amy Griffis to replace dnotify. It was included in the mainline kernel starting from release 2.6.13, and could be compiled into 2.6.12 and possibly earlier releases by use of a patch. Its function is essentially an extension to filesystems to notice changes to the filesystem, and report those changes to applications. Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-inotify/ Man page: http://tcl-inotify.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis alsterg ...

ANNOUNCE: ADB and ADBSQL pure-tcl database engine for Tcl/Tk
Dear All, I'm happy to announce today the first release of adb/adbsql. ADB together with the MySQL database connectivity module adbsql are a Tcl/Tk package useful for Tcl/Tk programmers that want to store their data in a database-kind of way with tables and fields. Two (optional) features of ADB that may make it worthwhile for you: * Writing the database as XML output and later of course the ability to read it. * Connecting directly to a MySQL database. The fun part of ADB is that you can either use it as a full pure tcl library, or you can use these advanced features that require additional packages. Both modules are released under open source LGPL or BSD licenses (your pick) More information: http://wiki.tcl.tk/6319 - Tcl/Tk wiki page on ADB http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbsql/ - Sourceforge page (including download area) http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adb.html - Manual page of ADB http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adbsql.html - Manual page of ADBSQL Kind regards, Roalt Aalmoes ...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

64bit Tcl/Tk loading 32bit extensions
With the advent of 64 bit systems (running Linux) I have come up against an issue that I'm not sure how to handle. With a 64bit tclsh or wish, can I load 32bit extensions? I've been told that you can do this in perl, but I'd certainly like to have this ability in tcl. I ask because I have only a license to 32 bit sybase, and I use sybtcl extensively, so I think I need to comile sybtcl as a 32bit extension. Any and all help appreciated. Kevin Kevin Penrose wrote: > With the advent of 64 bit systems (running Linux) I have come up against > an issue that I'm not ...

Web resources about - Extensive Cheat Sheet for Tcl/Tk - comp.lang.tcl

Intensive and extensive properties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... of a system that does not depend on the system size or the amount of material in the system: it is scale invariant . By contrast, an extensive ...

Aftermath of extensive flooding along New Jersey shore - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Aerial photo of damaged homes along New Jersey shore after Hurricane Sandy. Photo credit: Greg Thompson/USFWS Stay informed www.facebook.com/usfwsnortheast ...

The Dark Knight Rises Extensive Behind the Scenes Featurette (2012) Batman Movie HD - YouTube
Watch the TRAILER CAT VERSION: http://goo.gl/HAOlQ Watch all clips from the movie The Dark Knight Rises: http://goo.gl/VI646 Subscribe to TRAILERS: ...

‘Extensive’ fight against ISIL to start soon: Turkey
US drones and aircraft have begun arriving at a Turkish airbase close to the border with Syria, and an “extensive” fight against ISIL militants ...

Extensive police search fails to locate missing four-year-old girl and father
Police are investigating if a father and his young daughter, missing now for more than two days, have fled the north coast or are possibly camping ...

Public service graduate hopefuls set for 10-month wait in extensive application process
Getting a public service job takes longer than the gestation of a hippopotamus or a trip to Mars.

Extensive loss of sea ice fuelling storm's fury
WASHINGTON: Sandy has been churning up the Atlantic since last week and just now, as I write, has shrouded my home in the drab darkness of a ...

Whoever brought down MH17 had extensive training, experts says
Whoever fired the surface-to-air missile that brought down a passenger jet over eastern Ukraine would have needed extensive training to execute ...

Andrew Forrest calls for extensive reforms to ease crisis in indigenous employment
Indigenous business would be given tax-free status, parents would lose family payments if their children wagged school and welfare recipients ...

Haiyan causes extensive damage video
Typhoon Haiyan causes massive damage in central Philippines as Vietnam braces for the storm.