How does the Tcl interpret handle results returned from C-created Tcl commands ?

I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've
followed the manual guidelines.
My C routine checks the validity of a selected option for the currently
displayed histogram.
Therefore it returns a Boolean value  that, according to the C <-> Tcl
communucation protocol, I have encoded as  TCL_ERROR (= FALSE) and
TCL_OK (TRUE).
WHenthis command is called in a Tcl proc, the interpreter is supposed
to perform two different actions according to the returned Boolean
value.
How can I fetch this returned Boolean result (TCL_ERROR/ TCL_OK) from
the Tcl proc that executes the C-created command ?
What if I wrote 1 (FALSE) or 0 (TRUE) in a string and have the C
routine return this 1-character string ? Would it be easier to get the
result of the teest from the caling TCL
proc ?

Please, find in the following the code  that implements (according to
my best resolution)  the
C-created command  and the callind Tcl proc.

Thank you,
Maura

*************************************************************************************************************
*                                                     C routine
                                                          *
*************************************************************************************************************
static int
check_hist_aint_option_cb( ClientData clientData,
                           Tcl_Interp *interp,
                           int argc, char *argv[] ) {
  int i;

  if ( hg.active_ <= 0 ){
     Tcl_SetResult( interp,
                    "Histogram not active !",
                    TCL_STATIC );
     return TCL_ERROR;
  }

  i = -1
  while ((++i < Length_of_AINT_histo_ID) && (hg.hid_ !=
AINT_histo_ID[i])) ;
  if (i >= Length_of_AINT_histo_ID) {
     Tcl_SetResult( interp,
                    "Renormalization option unavailable for the current
histogram !",
                    TCL_STATIC );
     return TCL_ERROR;
  }
  return TCL_OK;
}

*************************************************************************************************************
*                                                  Tcl calling proc
                                                        *
*************************************************************************************************************

proc change_RZ_hist_aint {} {

    global aint

    if (check_hist_aint_option) {
      puts "\n current AINT value: $aint"
      delete_hist_bar;
      draw_hist_bar;
    }
    else
      tk_messageBox -default ok -type ok -icon error -message "AINT
does not apply to the current histogram"
}

When writing Tcl commands in C, you need to make a distinction between
the "status code" and the return value.  Ironically, you provide the
status code with the [return] command, and you provide the return value
with Tcl_SetObjResult, Tcl_AppendResult, or some other such command.

I can see where you're going with your code; if you want to go that
route, you should do something like this:

    if {[catch {check_hist_aint_option}]} {
        # deal with the error
    } else {
        # proceed as normal
    }

Another alternative is to return TCL_OK as the status code in either
case, and return true or false as the result.  Something like:

    if (can_do_histogram) {
        Tcl_SetObjResult(interp, Tcl_NewBooleanObj(1));
    } else {
        Tcl_SetObjResult(interp, Tcl_NewBooleanObj(0));
    }
    return TCL_OK;

Your Tcl code can then go like this:

    if {[check_hist_aint_option]} {
        # proceed with histogram
    } else {
        # give negative feedback
    }

Does that help?

0
aric.bills (466)
5/25/2006 5:27:15 AM
Sure. It does help.
I will try the first alternative. I haven't quite digested the use of
Tcl  "objects" as a communication tool with C.

Thank you so  much,
Maura

Dnia 24 May 2006 21:29:19 -0700, maura.monville@gmail.com skrobie:
> I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've
> followed the manual guidelines.
> My C routine checks the validity of a selected option for the currently
> displayed histogram.
> Therefore it returns a Boolean value  that, according to the C <-> Tcl
> communucation protocol, I have encoded as  TCL_ERROR (= FALSE) and
> TCL_OK (TRUE).
> WHenthis command is called in a Tcl proc, the interpreter is supposed
> to perform two different actions according to the returned Boolean
> value.
> How can I fetch this returned Boolean result (TCL_ERROR/ TCL_OK) from
> the Tcl proc that executes the C-created command ?
> What if I wrote 1 (FALSE) or 0 (TRUE) in a string and have the C
> routine return this 1-character string ? Would it be easier to get the
> result of the teest from the caling TCL
> proc ?

The Tcl_SetResult sets the value that is returned by the command from the Tcl
side.

And the returned value by the C function that implements the command sets the
command's "status code", that is, it is something like "exceptions" in other
languages. The interpretation of this code depends on what is calling it. If
the returned value is TCL_OK, nothing happens. If the returned value is
TCL_ERROR then the "error" (or "1") status code is returned, which causes
abnormal execution termination. This can be next caught by the [catch]
command, which will set the result to the given variable name and return the
status code (in numerical convention, that is, 1 for TCL_ERROR).

You seemed also to use the [if] command incorrectly, so this is how you could
implement it:

if { [catch {check_hist_aint_option} result] != 0 } {
	puts "\n current AINT value: $aint"
	delete_hist_bar
	draw_hist_bar
} else {
	tk_messageBox ... -message "AINT does not apply to the current
histogram: $result"
}

--
//  _    ___         Michal "Sektor" Malecki <sektor(whirl)kis.p.lodz.pl>
\\ L_ |/ `|  /^\ ,()                         <ethourhs(O)gmail.com>
maura.monville@gmail.com <maura.monville@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've
>followed the manual guidelines.
			.
			.
			.
>static int
>check_hist_aint_option_cb( ClientData clientData,
>                           Tcl_Interp *interp,
>                           int argc, char *argv[] ) {
>  int i;
>
>  if ( hg.active_ <= 0 ){
>     Tcl_SetResult( interp,
>                    "Histogram not active !",
>                    TCL_STATIC );
>     return TCL_ERROR;
>  }
>
>  i = -1
>  while ((++i < Length_of_AINT_histo_ID) && (hg.hid_ !=
>AINT_histo_ID[i])) ;
>  if (i >= Length_of_AINT_histo_ID) {
>     Tcl_SetResult( interp,
>                    "Renormalization option unavailable for the current
>histogram !",
>                    TCL_STATIC );
>     return TCL_ERROR;
>  }
>  return TCL_OK;
>}
>

>*************************************************************************************************************
>*                                                  Tcl calling proc
>                                                        *
>*************************************************************************************************************
>
>proc change_RZ_hist_aint {} {
>
>    global aint
>

>    if (check_hist_aint_option) {
>      puts "\n current AINT value: $aint"
>      delete_hist_bar;
>      draw_hist_bar;
>    }
>    else
>      tk_messageBox -default ok -type ok -icon error -message "AINT
>does not apply to the current histogram"
>}

Others have already helped with the direct questions you raised.
I think it important to add that you might be most satisfied in
the long term to concentrate on doing as much as possible in Tcl;
if I understand you correctly, there's no *functional* need to
resort to C as this example does.

If your aim is to learn the C interface, rather than achieve
particular algorithms, then, of course, we'll help you learn the
C interface.
0
claird (2363)
5/25/2006 1:12:20 PM
* "maura.monville@gmail.com" <maura.monville@gmail.com>
Whenever you write TCL code such as
    if {[some_c_routine]} { ... }
you implicitly assume that the routine returns TCL_OK, and the
interpreter result of calling the C routine is some boolean value.

If your C-code returns TCL_ERROR, the 'if' will not run at all, but
TCL will abort execution the proc containing that code.

So if you need the C code simply to determine yes/no, you would do it
like this:

    static int
    check_hist_aint_option_cb( ... ) {
      // default result is false
      int result = 0;
      // check our data structures
      if ( hg.active_ > 0 ) {
        for (int i = 0; i < Length_of_AINT_histo_ID; ++i) {
           if (hg.hid_ == AINT_histo_ID[i]) {
              // found something, result is true
              result = 1;
              break;
           }
        }
      }
      // set the result of calling this routine from TCL
      Tcl_SetObjResult(interp, Tcl_NewBooleanObj(result));
      // tell TCL we have performed our task succesfully
      return TCL_OK;
    }

| My C routine checks the validity of a selected option for the
| currently displayed histogram.  Therefore it returns a Boolean value
| that, according to the C <-> Tcl communucation protocol, I have
| encoded as TCL_ERROR (= FALSE) and TCL_OK (TRUE).

Returning TCL_ERROR or TCL_OK are meant as a means for TCL to find out
whether or not the C code has performed it's task successfully.
Returning TCL_ERROR or TCL_OK is *not* the result you will see in the
TCL code.

R'
0
ralfixx (1283)
5/25/2006 1:53:12 PM
In article <k2ngk3-fio.ln1@lairds.us>, I advised:
>In article <1148531359.044694.114430@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>maura.monville@gmail.com <maura.monville@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've
>>followed the manual guidelines.
>			.
>			.
>			.
>Others have already helped with the direct questions you raised.
>I think it important to add that you might be most satisfied in
>the long term to concentrate on doing as much as possible in Tcl;
>if I understand you correctly, there's no *functional* need to
>resort to C as this example does.
>
>If your aim is to learn the C interface, rather than achieve
>particular algorithms, then, of course, we'll help you learn the
>C interface.

I'm going to repeat myself.

Maura, I'm posting this as a follow-up in comp.lang.tcl, and
sending you a copy to your personal e-mail address.

You wrote me in personal e-mail
     "I feel much more comfortable with C and C++ and
     the traditional debuggers that apply to compiled
     code.

     Moreover, if I need to use a math function like
     log10, cos, exp, etc ... I could not find any of
     these features in the Tcl library ...."

I think you're making a mistake.

I understand that you're looking for the quickest, most certain
way to achieve results in a situation where your project lead is
accustomed to ... treating software development as unskilled,
mismnaged, fungible labor.  I understand that you have considerable
experience working with C and related languages and the debuggers
common in their use.  Tcl puzzles you, and you've been assigned a
base of source code which apparently was generated by a confused
mis-automation.

It's easy to sympathize with your decision to do as much work as
possible in C, rather than Tcl.

I can assure you that I, and several other contributors here, have
even more experience living through very similar situations.  I
have repeatedly been on teams that were more comfortable in C than
Tcl--several times, *I* was one of the programmers who felt that
way.  From everything I know, you're better off learning the
relatively modest amount of Tcl you need to know to achieve the
results you're after.

I particularly emphasize:  I've seen the experiment where someone
says, "I know how to do this in C, so I'll just write a little
C-Tcl interface, and that'll be quicker."  I've seen multiple
trials of that experiment.  They really don't work out that way.
By the time the person knows Tcl well enough to communicate cor-
rectly with the C side, he or she can typically write in pure Tcl.
There's no gain.  (Note to other readers:  there definitely are
cases where *teams* can divide labor so that one person concentrates
on C.  That is not Maura's situation.)

Finally, I'll transcribe a tclsh session that might interest you:
  % expr exp(1)
  2.71828182846
  % expr log(100.01)
  4.60527018099
  % expr log10(100.01)
  2.00004342728
  % expr cos(3.14)
  -0.999998731728

I summarize, again:  I strongly suspect you'll find the most
ultimate satisfaction in learning enough of Tcl to code pure-Tcl
solutions to your tasks--or perhaps just to receive fragments
that others of us write.
0
claird (2363)

TCL C API: receiving command from a script or from tcl command line ?
Hello, TCL allows to run commands from commandl line or from within a script file thanks to the command "source filename". I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my own commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script or directly from the shell ? Thanks, Fabrice Hi Fabrice, "fabrice" writes: > I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my > own commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script > or directly from the shell ? You can look at the variable tcl_interactive to distinguish...

following tcl command execution from C/C++ code to tcl in gdb
Hi, We have a C/C++ huge application that makes heavy use of tcl C bindings. We frequently have very long stack traces from within gdb/dbx that look like this: #7 0x0d0aac7d in TclObjInterpProc (clientData=0x12857160, interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40) at ../generic/tclProc.c:1146 #8 0x0d043dc6 in TclEvalObjvInternal (interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40, command=0xe0c1382 "", length=0, flags=262144) at ../generic/tclBasic.c:3087 #9 0x0d044045 in Tcl_EvalObjv (interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40, flags=262144) at ../generic/tclBasic.c:3203 This is just a ...

In Tcl and C++ code, how to use Tcl Command, such as exit?
In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, such as, exit. I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got nothing feedback. How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Thanx! vian1381@china.com.cn wrote: > In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control > all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, > such as, exit. > &g...

Hi, TCL has a command execution syntax like this: [<tcl cmd>] Anything inside the 3rd bracket will be executed as a Tcl command by the Tcl interprater. Is there any way I can disable/delete this Tcl construct [ <tcl-cmd>]? In other words, my Tcl interprator should print "[32]" for tcl command puts "[32]" It should not try to treat [] as a special character. Is this any way possible while extending Tcl in C with tcl.h? Thank you, Arijit * arijit79@gmail.com | puts "[32]" | | It should not try to treat [] as a special character. Check out ...

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe thi...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-gaul Tcl-gaul is a Tcl extension for genetic/evolutionary algorithm processing.It relies on the GAUL library: http://gaul.sourceforge.net/ * A genetic algorithm (GA) is a search technique used in computing to find exact or approximate solutions to optimization and search problems. Genetic algorithms are categorized as global search heuristics. They are a particular class of evolutionary algorithms that use techniques inspired by evolutionary biology such as inheritance, mutation, selection, and crossover. For ...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-pam Tcl-pam is a Tcl interface to the PAM* service of Linux. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to use PAM to authenticate users and programs. It relies on linux-pam library: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/ * PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules): A mechanism to integrate multiple low−level authentication schemes into a high−level application programming interface (API). This enables programs that rely on authentication to be written independently of the underlying authentication scheme. Platform:...

running other tcl from a tcl
Is that possible? 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl 2 - from a tcl to call other one # first.tcl content below exec hello.tcl # end regards, mauro ps.: I'm not experience in Tcl. Mauro Silva wrote: > Is that possible? > > 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: > > c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl > > 2 - from a tcl to call other one > > # first.tcl content below > > exec hello.tcl > > # end > > regards, > m...

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script?
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > Hi all, > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > Regards, > Prabu.K > hi, try: source your_other_tcl_file.tcl cheers, Tobi ...

l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl
Hi all, I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test code i have written is below Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory. The 'C' program is below. I have named it CTCL.C #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading..."); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } I have compiled the program with the command cc CTCL.C -o ctcl So the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl' The Tcl script...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mp Tcl-mp is a Tcl interface to POSIX Message Queues*. It provides a Tcl package that allows scripts to create/open/close/unlink multiple parallel message queues, and to send/receive messages synchronously and asynchronously to/from them. * A POSIX message queue is an Inter-Process Communication mechanism available on Linux and some other POSIX-compliant operating systems. It allows to or more processes (or threads) to communicate under the same OS. The messages are buffered by the kernel, which gives them kernel persis...

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script? #2
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? You're probably looking for the "source" command. Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The command "load" is for binary shared libraries. -- Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, and a three-day beard...

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > ...

Tcl+incr Tcl debuggers to use on command line?
Hi, Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Thanks On 10/11/14, 9:46 PM, kenneth.bull@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? > That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Well, the debugger in ActiveState's TDK does not need a bundled IDE and it works with [incr Tcl] -- but it is a GUI application not a command line one. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. L...

how to debug tcl running under tcl interep in C++ exe
Hi: I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any way/debugger to do this? Regards --Sourav Sourav Sircar schrieb: > Hi: > I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. > The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. > I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any > way/debugger to do this? > Regards > --Sourav You could probably load the comm packa...

Why is a C routine returned string not found by the Tcl interpreter ?
Here is my Tcl code for the manubutton and cascade creation: button $base.button_undo -text "<<" -command undo_canvas button $base.button_redo -text ">>" -command redo_canvas menubutton $base.button_rescale -text "RESCALE" -menu $base.button_rescale.menu -relief raised -state disabled set m [menu $base.button_rescale.menu -tearoff 1] $m add command -label 1 -state disabled -command {puts "1 incident particle per sec."} $m add separator $m add cascade -label AINT -state disabled -menu $m.sub1 set m2 [menu ...

Hi everyone, I have been pulling my hair with this one for a couple of days and still have not found a fix. I'm working within ANSYS Tcl-Tk implementation. I created a Tcl-Tk script that generates a simple window with three buttons. Each button opens another window which is created in a separate Tcl file. The second window have a lot of text entries, variables, procedures, etc. I can open the second Tcl file by itself and everything works as supposed, but when I open it using the button in the first window, it opens but any procedure called by the widgets on the second window are not fou...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version""...

tcl application with tcl application

Remembering Tcl: Problems with C and Tcl communicated via pipelines
I am now remembering TCL and I have came across with a problem when doing something I used to do. My purpose is to implement a console-like GUI to present in a listbox outputs from another program written in c and allow to command orders via an entry. All the communication between both programs will be via pipeline As a first approximation, I tried several easy examples and I get stucked with these two programs (see below). When executing tclprogram2.tcl I get Done1 and Done2 and nothing more: i must end it with Ctrl-C. However, if I change Hello3 lines before for loop, the program run smoo...

Web resources about - How does the Tcl interpret handle results returned from C-created Tcl commands ? - comp.lang.tcl

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges Posed for a Photo With a Local, Local News and Police Interpret it as ...
Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges came under seriously ridiculous racially-charged scrutiny this week when local police chastised her for making ...

Economists interpret RBA, housing finance
THE big event for economists this week was the Reserve Bank of Australia's decision on interest rates.

Trade union royal commissioner Dyson Heydon interprets the black and white letter of the law
It was a heart-warming beginning to an extraordinary judicial hearing, where a lion of the Australian law was excoriated by legal counsel for ...

For Love.........pieces from a personal space at Bilk Gallery interprets emotion through craft
... Bilk Gallery for Contemporary Metal and Glass. Until August 22. The theme For Love was intended to be an open one, inviting artists to interpret ...

Experts interpret the Chinese Dream
Officials and scholars from around the world offered diverse views of how the Chinese Dream concept championed by President Xi Jinping will benefit ...

Expert interprets China's defense paper
Expert interprets China's defense paper People's Daily Online BEIJING, April 18, (ChinaMil) The Chinese government published a new version ...

Montblanc Metamorphosis II Re-Interprets The Brand’s Unique Transforming Dial
The Montblanc Metamorphosis II transforms in front of your eyes, from a classic time-telling dial, to a sporty chronograph.

Should Judges Interpret the Law?
Judge Rakoff suggests that administrative actions not only tilt the outcome further toward the government, they make bad law.

» AG asked to interpret N.M.’s law on marriage - ABQ Journal
... for recognition that same-sex marriage is already legal in New Mexico has spurred a request to the Attorney General’s Office for a new interpretation ...

Physicists at Quantifind Help Brands Interpret Social Data - Digital - Advertising Age
Welcome. This is your first of seven free items this month. To register, get added benefits and unlimited access to articles, Become a Member ...