how to debug tcl running under tcl interep in C++ exe

Hi:
     I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files.
The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts.
I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any
way/debugger to do this?
Regards
--Sourav

0
sourav (1)

Sourav Sircar schrieb:
> Hi:
>      I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files.
> The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts.
> I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any
> way/debugger to do this?
> Regards
> --Sourav

You could probably load the comm package from tcllib and attach tkcon,
tkinspect or one of the other debuggers/consoles to the running interpreter.

See http://wiki.tcl.tk/4003 for an overview whats available for debugging.

Michael
0
schlenk (1615)
5/5/2006 6:19:23 PM
Hi Michael:
    Thanks for your help.
    I tried your suggestion in the following way

1. In a shell i started my exe and loaded comm package. It gave me a
comm port number
2. In another shell i started tkcon
3. Now i try to attach my exe to tkcon, i use "tkcon attach <comm
port>" inside tkcon but it says no interep found.

    Could you please suggest how should i attach my exe to tkcon?
Regards
--Sourav

sourav.k.sircar@gmail.com schrieb:
> Hi Michael:
>     Thanks for your help.
>     I tried your suggestion in the following way
>
> 1. In a shell i started my exe and loaded comm package. It gave me a
> comm port number
> 2. In another shell i started tkcon
> 3. Now i try to attach my exe to tkcon, i use "tkcon attach <comm
> port>" inside tkcon but it says no interep found.
>
>     Could you please suggest how should i attach my exe to tkcon?
> Regards
> --Sourav

Sorry for the confusion. tkcon can connect using Tk's send or simple
sockets, and in principle with comm (which has all the needed stuff for
executing remote commands), but it seems to not have the right
configuration or code in place. (misremembered stuff it seems).

What does work with comm is tkinspect
http://wiki.tcl.tk/Tkinspect
The starkit from sdarchive is nice to get it running fast if you have an
ActiveTcl install or a tclkit installed.
http://mini.net/sdarchive/tkinspect.kit

See the File->connect to (comm) Menu in tkinspect.

Michael

0
schlenk (1615)

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe this is done with SWIG but I have not done it. In Java I saw some info on Jacl and TclBlend. The application will be "compiled" into a TCL "executable". I know I can compile my TCL code into Byte code to protect the IP. I am not sure about Java. Any recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Frank Frank <kranfg@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. > > The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. > > Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. > > I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to ...

following tcl command execution from C/C++ code to tcl in gdb
Hi, We have a C/C++ huge application that makes heavy use of tcl C bindings. We frequently have very long stack traces from within gdb/dbx that look like this: #7 0x0d0aac7d in TclObjInterpProc (clientData=0x12857160, interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40) at ../generic/tclProc.c:1146 #8 0x0d043dc6 in TclEvalObjvInternal (interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40, command=0xe0c1382 "", length=0, flags=262144) at ../generic/tclBasic.c:3087 #9 0x0d044045 in Tcl_EvalObjv (interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40, flags=262144) at ../generic/tclBasic.c:3203 This is just a very small part of what can be a very long stack trace. Now by poking around I can see that in gdb I can print *objv[0] to see the first word of a command but this is painful. What we really want is a way to see what Tcl commands are being executed either while the program is running or easily from the stack trace. Can you run gdb as well as a Tcl debugger at the same time? Seems unlikely. How are people systematically tracing the execution of Tcl commands that are called from C/++ bindings? Thanks. foobarbaz99@hotmail.com wrote: > How are people systematically tracing the execution of Tcl commands > that are called from C/++ bindings? Are you familiar with Tcl_CreateObjTrace() ? Does it accomplish what you need? -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://mat...

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > > Thanks! can help you cheap:; http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html -- -- -- What's on Shortwave guide: choose an hour, go! http://shortwave.tk 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk 300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk marc wrote: > Asif wrote: > >> Hi! >> >> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: >> >> - Embed Tcl into a C application. >> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. >> >> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do >> a good job explain these topics in depth? >> >> Thanks! > > > can help you cheap:; > http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html Would you really trust a site which *PRESUMES* the whole world uses their preferred settings and the heck with the visually imperfect. The resu...

how to get tcl-httpd running on winxp with active tcl?
or websh or rivet frustrated rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore websh not work with windows so I guess tcl-httpd? I want to try some tcl web builnin''... help gavino schrieb: > or websh > or rivet > > frustrated > > rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore > websh not work with windows > so I guess tcl-httpd? > I want to try some tcl web builnin''... > Tclhttp or Wub are options..., or getting Tcl cgi running under IIS or any other webserver. What kind of things do you want to play with? Michael gavino wrote: > or websh > or rivet > > frustrated > > rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore > websh not work with windows > so I guess tcl-httpd? > I want to try some tcl web builnin''... > > help > http://wiki.tcl.tk/15722 The above leads you to a single file executable that is tclhttpd. I think it's impossible to make it any easier than that :-) -- Bryan Oakley http://www.tclscripting.com gavino wrote: > or websh > or rivet > > frustrated > > rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore > websh not work with windows > so I guess tcl-httpd? > I want to try some tcl web builnin''... If you have ActiveState Tcl installed, then unzip the tclhttpd 3.5.1 somewhere and double click on ...\tclhttpd3.5.1\bin\httpd.tcl If you have been attempting ...

In Tcl and C++ code, how to use Tcl Command, such as exit?
In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, such as, exit. I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got nothing feedback. How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Thanx! vian1381@china.com.cn wrote: > In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control > all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, > such as, exit. > > I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, > I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got > nothing feedback. Your questions are hard to understand, but they suggest that you believe that setting a custom stdin channel will do some magic to establsh a prompt/read/eval loop. That is not the case. > How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Start with something that works, like the source code for tclsh, and adapt to your needs. Or post a followup and include more code examples to explain what you're doing and how it doesn't do what you expect. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |_____________________________________...

TCL web server running TCL Server pages (.tsp)
I have been using TCL server pages (running on tclhttpd) for over 10 years= for various things like database front-ends, Server side Windows managemen= t(tcl/vbscript(WMI) and Access), and recently a client side Smartphone port= al(tcl/javascript). I am curious if others are using TCL Server pages and f= or what purpose? For intranet usage I recently used tclhttpd to provide vnc (tightvnc &fvwm) sessions to legacy X11 applications, database interfaces, Excel/csv files and PDF documents on request. http://bu4.taipudex.com/pinyin.htm is a dictionary trial By the way http://w3tech...

Remembering Tcl: Problems with C and Tcl communicated via pipelines
I am now remembering TCL and I have came across with a problem when doing something I used to do. My purpose is to implement a console-like GUI to present in a listbox outputs from another program written in c and allow to command orders via an entry. All the communication between both programs will be via pipeline As a first approximation, I tried several easy examples and I get stucked with these two programs (see below). When executing tclprogram2.tcl I get Done1 and Done2 and nothing more: i must end it with Ctrl-C. However, if I change Hello3 lines before for loop, the program run smoo...

wub and wibble an tcl-httpd, and running tcl powered websites
whats the latest? can wub or wibble handle e commerce? node and mojolicious are trumpeting about epoll based eventy stuff hasnt aolserver and naviserver bene doing this for long time? would postgresql 9.3 and new aolserver/naviserver be competitive with say nginx and php-fpm? concurrency performance wise? extra credit if you can show me a website pwoered by tcl I can blog on thanks guys keep up awesome work, wow skip lists and all kinda things in tcllib does this mean you could build a tcl database like mongodb or redis? just using tcl and channels betwene boxes? is there...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

tcl application with tcl application

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

running .exe from tcl
Hi, I have an exe to which I need to give some options like -t, -p etc and an input file. On command line it looks somthing like D:\ProgFiles\Convert>exe_name -t -p "D:\test.phk" this exe converts my file from one format(from input file) to another and displays output on stdout. How do I simulate this on Tcl? How do I copy the output(say an xml format) from stdout to a variable/file? I tried using 'exec' and 'catch' but not sure on using it as I got errors. Please help! Thanks in advance... At 2009-03-30 07:24AM, "gsa.wrk@gmail.com" wrote: > Hi, > I have an exe to which I need to give some options like -t, -p etc and > an input file. > On command line it looks somthing like > D:\ProgFiles\Convert>exe_name -t -p "D:\test.phk" > > this exe converts my file from one format(from input file) to another > and displays output on stdout. How do I simulate this on Tcl? How do I > copy the output(say an xml format) from stdout to a variable/file? I > tried using 'exec' and 'catch' but not sure on using it as I got > errors. Please help! What errors? exec exe_name -t -p {d:\text.phk} The difficulty would come from the "\t" combination in the name. Windows is generally OK with the "/" path separator, but if your application must have backslashes, another way to specify them is: set filename "d:/text.phk" ;# perhaps this comes from...

TCL C API: receiving command from a script or from tcl command line ?
Hello, TCL allows to run commands from commandl line or from within a script file thanks to the command "source filename". I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my own commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script or directly from the shell ? Thanks, Fabrice Hi Fabrice, "fabrice" writes: > I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my > own commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script > or directly from the shell ? You can look at the variable tcl_interactive to distinguish the two modes. Note: It usually seems not a good idea to change the behaviour of your functions between use in a program (production mode) and interactive use (usually for experimentation and debugging). It's confusing for the users and it may make it difficult or impossible to reproduce some kinds of problems interactively. If you want to add more debug output in interactive mode, you can always add additional commands and flags for that purpose. benny fabrice wrote: > Hello, > > TCL allows to run commands from commandl line or from within a script > file thanks to the command "source filename". > > I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my own > commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script or > directly from the shell ? You could look at how the 'tcl_interactive' variable is set up and u...

How does the Tcl interpret handle results returned from C-created Tcl commands ?
I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've followed the manual guidelines. My C routine checks the validity of a selected option for the currently displayed histogram. Therefore it returns a Boolean value that, according to the C <-> Tcl communucation protocol, I have encoded as TCL_ERROR (= FALSE) and TCL_OK (TRUE). WHenthis command is called in a Tcl proc, the interpreter is supposed to perform two different actions according to the returned Boolean value. How can I fetch this returned Boolean result (TCL_ERROR/ TCL_OK) from the Tcl proc that executes the C-created command ? What if I wrote 1 (FALSE) or 0 (TRUE) in a string and have the C routine return this 1-character string ? Would it be easier to get the result of the teest from the caling TCL proc ? Please, find in the following the code that implements (according to my best resolution) the C-created command and the callind Tcl proc. Thank you, Maura ************************************************************************************************************* * C routine * ************************************************************************************************************* static int check_hist_aint_option_cb( ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp, int argc, char *argv[] ) { int i; if ( hg.active_ &...

adding events to tcl queue, or using variables and traces (C and TCL)
I'm writing simple testing framework for embedded application. The application is written on C language and runs on microchip PIC microcontroller normally. To test application I made the following: * hardware depended code was picked out from main source and written to separate source files (module_hal.c for example); * two build mode for program: for microchip PIC, using *_hal.c files dealing with real hardware, or for PC, where *_hal.c files contain hardware simulation code and bindings to TCL-commands. Then program was build for PC, I can using TCL commands change input signal states for simulated hardware, for example, or view output signal states. But I need some method to call tcl callback procedure when output signal changes state. I see two methods to achieve this: * map signal state to variable, and then use 'trace' command to bind tcl-scripts to state change events; * add new events to tcl event queue, as described here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17195 Which method can be more preferable and why? In case if signal state changes too fast, and if I use variable trace, my callback will be called on every state change -- I think it is serious drawback of first method. With second method I can add only one event to queue, and add second only if first event is processed. But as I see, second method requires more complex code in C (now I wrote this code and see it as serious drawback too). May be exists some other methods to call tcl-callbacks on even...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Web resources about - how to debug tcl running under tcl interep in C++ exe - comp.lang.tcl

Running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of locomotion in humans. For running in horses, see Horse gait . For locomotion in dogs, see Gait (dog) . For ...

Canberra weather: March's longest running heatwave set to be broken on Thursday
If Thursday hits its predicted peak it will be the ACT's longest March heat spell on record.

Clive Palmer on ABC Insiders: Fairfax member won’t rule out running for Senate
CLIVE Palmer has left the door open for a possible tilt at a Senate seat in order to stay in federal parliament.

Sophie Mirabella on running again
Defeated at the last election, Sophie Mirabella outlines her reasons for once again running to represent the electorate of Indi.

Does Anyone Still Feign Surprise When A Blue Dog Finally Comes Out As A Republican? Joe Baca's Running ...
... an adjoining district, CA-31, but was defeated in the primary. A sleazy coked up , New Dem, Pete Aguilar, won that race and Baca is running ...

The websites of candidates running for president 20 years ago will take you back in time
These days, presidential campaigns are all about Snapchat as a way to reach voters. Before that, politicians embraced social media like Facebook ...

13 longest-running scripted TV shows of all time
On March 15, 2016, "NCIS" joins an elite list of scripted primetime televisions shows that have reached 300 episodes

Security tackles man running toward Trump at Ohio rally
Chicago Tribune Security tackles man running toward Trump at Ohio rally Chicago Tribune A man attempts to rush the stage at a Donald Trump ...

Goose Gossage loses his (bleeping) mind over 'nerds' running baseball
Hall of fame pitcher goes on a profanity-laden tirade about the state of America's pastime, throwing F-bombs like they were strikes.